• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apple WWDC 2007 Thread

I've already uninstalled Safari for XP. It refused to render three sites already, including my company's internal site. Not sure why, the Mac version works fine.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Arghhh Safari 3.0 still doesn't allow me to have the site address thumbnails onlyin the Bookmarks bar?

Best feature of Camino I swear

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It was an hour and a half. They had "Ten Things From Leopard", Safari 3.0 for Mac and Windows, iPhone Third Party application development through Web 2.0 Apps. Not to mention EA games coming back to the Mac, and John Carmack showing off the new engine and iD property, which may end up being the most impressive technology we'll see out of this. :D

I'll watch the conference... but I was hoping for something better... like...

A ****ING NEW IPOD!

yayaba

Karma Kramer said:
Bah

They should have ****ing said that on the site then. Son of a Bitch.

What are you complaining about. WWDC = Worldwide Developer's Conference. I don't see what a new iPod has to do with developers.

Karma Kramer said:
I'll watch the conference... but I was hoping for something better... like...

A ****ING NEW IPOD!

If you were expecting that at WWDC you either know nothing about Apple, or were completely deluding yourself. Sorry. There will be no new iPods until well after the iPhone launch. You can count on that.

Ginko

Kung Fu Jedi said:
BETA! Say it with me now! BETA!
ٌReading comprehension FTW.

Ginko said:
After trying Safari several times:
Wow, Safari is BAD. Sorry Apple, the conference was going so well with the nice Leopard features, but Safari on Windows? That's a failure.

- Very slow minimizing and maximizing.
- Doesn't show my auto-hidden taskbar, I can't use it unless I press the Windows button on my keyboard.
- Font problems.
- Crashed several times.
- Bad interface.
- Can't see why they call it faster than FF, I did a couple of comparisons and I can't see the difference.

This could be good if they did a whole redone for the final release.

pxleyes

Banned
imastalker co. said:
which one is more optimized and efficient?

I hate that argument. It is the most bullshit I've ever heard from Mac users. Let's be honest about something, Windows gives you options. It gives you the option to use any piece of hardware under the sun. The flexibility to use different processors, motherboards, whatever brings about complexities in the driver coding. You have to account for an almost limitless set of combinations of hardware. OS X on the other hand benefits from a strict hardware set. This allows the people who code the OS to focus on different things than Windows who have to focus on driver issues. It is an unfair comparison when you limit hardware choices and then complain about efficiency with an OS that gives you choices.

Also, I'm willing to put the performance of my PC up against most any Mac on the market.

Ginko

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Reading comprehension indeed! I'm not really sure what a: "whole redone for the final release" is. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.
Basically fixing everything.

I'm not sure though about how good it runs on a Mac, I suppose it should be good enough for a Mac user not to look for an alternative, but that's just guessing. However, this BETA for Windows is bad in every aspect, I mean what's the point of faster browsing when it crashes so many times. Let's hope for a better final version.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Ginko said:
Basically fixing everything.

I'm not sure though about how good it runs on a Mac, I suppose it should be good enough for a Mac user not to look for an alternative, but that's just guessing. However, this BETA for Windows is bad in every aspect, I mean what's the point of faster browsing when it crashes so many times. Let's hope for a better final version.

those crashes are a feature.

Terrell

pxleyes said:
:lol Which OS requires a strict set of hardware components and which lets you use whatever the hell you want?
Go read the Vista End User Licence Agreement where they forbid you to use it on a Mac without purchasing the penultimate edition, then come back to me on MS letting you use whatever hardware you want.
Besides, saying that Apple is proprietary is like saying Blizzard is proprietary because their games require higher-end graphics hardware and CPU. It's a little different from intentionally borking your protocols so they only get all the features on one platform despite all others being equally capable.

I am using Bootcamp to run OS X and Vista on my iMac - it runs beautifully!

I am very happy to see the additions to Leopard, its more in line with what I expected Vista to be (but didnt deliver). I actually bought my first Mac(s) after I gave up on my Vista machine.

The image viewer should have always been there for OS-X. I still don't know how to preview non-photoshop jpegs on OS-X (a standard feature on Vista).

Sean

Banned
djkimothy said:
Doesn't seem up. Plus the re-working of Apple's website makes it hard to find it. :/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

It's not up yet, but you can see the area it will be at on the very bottom left. I'm sure it'll be posted on the main apple.com homepage too... it usually goes up a few hours after the keynote ends, so should be up any minute now.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
djkimothy said:
Doesn't seem up. Plus the re-working of Apple's website makes it hard to find it. :/

The Leopard Preview Site has a spot for the WWDC video link below the feature list.

Terrell said:
Go read the Vista End User Licence Agreement where they forbid you to use it on a Mac without purchasing the penultimate edition, then come back to me on MS letting you use whatever hardware you want.
Besides, saying that Apple is proprietary is like saying Blizzard is proprietary because their games require higher-end graphics hardware and CPU. It's a little different from intentionally borking your protocols so they only get all the features on one platform despite all others being equally capable.

Huh? I thought the EULA didn't allow you to virtualize vista if you didn't have an ultimate or business license. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing is stoping you from running any version natively on a intel mac.

mollipen

After hearing how "meh" the new look to OS X was, I decided to just give up on waiting for the keynote video and see what was up.

Disappointed by the lack of a "ass-kicking new look and feel," but I knew those rumors were too good to be true. The one thing I cared about (well, the main thing I care about, as I'd also like a Mail.app that's worth something) was the Finder, and I'm glad that it is at least finally getting some love.

That said, I'm not sold yet. Adding Cover Flow to the Finder is cute, and I'm seeing a few nice upgrades, but I want to see some real info on what all we're getting. I was to see a real, serious attempt made at user-editable metadata in the Finder, not the "just type some stuff into the Get Info box" that we have now. I want to see Column View upgraded from the beta status it has always been, given proper sorting options, proper information displaying options, stuff like that. I'd like to see on-the-fly filtering of the current view without having to go through Spotlight to do so.

At least the entire OS is going to look like it freakin' goes together finally, though.

yayaba

Yeah, I kinda agree on the Finder. I always felt the Finder was a step backwards compared to Windows Explorer. But it seems like the Leopard Finder is just Coverflow + some additional options on the left pane.

I don't want to keep using PathFinder but I guess I'll have to see if Leopard Finder will cut it for me.

mollipen

yayaba said:
Yeah, I kinda agree on the Finder. I always felt the Finder was a step backwards compared to Windows Explorer. But it seems like the Leopard Finder is just Coverflow + some additional options on the left pane.

Well, something like metadata isn't the kind of things that Jobs could go up on stage and really sell to the masses, especially since to really make them powerful you'd have to do most of the hard work yourself. (Versus something like iTunes, where you get metatada from CDDB or included when buying a song off of the iTunes Store). It isn't sexy or exciting, so we wouldn't hear about it from his keynote.

For the rest of any possible upgrades, it had better be a case of "didn't have time to show it" versus not being there. If the Finder really is Cover Flow (software somebody else developed) + a few visual tweaks (we already had "unified plastic" in existance, and full icon previews should have been included ages ago), then Apple really, seriously fails.

Terrell said:

Please learn the definition of penultimate.

Also, you can run Vista on your mac. You just can't virtualize it without buying the top version. You could boot it normally, or with boot camp with any version.

Terrell

Killthee said:
The Leopard Preview Site has a spot for the WWDC video link below the feature list.

Huh? I thought the EULA didn't allow you to virtualize vista if you didn't have an ultimate or business license. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing is stoping you from running any version natively on a intel mac.
You were correct, my apologies, I remembered reading about this when the EULA first came out, but doing a search in Google, it seems as though this has been clarified to not exclude Boot Camp. My bad. My point about MS locking out its software within the OS still stands, though... QuickTime uses industry-standard formats, Windows Media Player is loaded to the gills with proprietary formats that require Flip4Mac, which hasn't even been updated to accomodate file types that require WMP11. And once again, there's MSN to look at. Big f'ing mess that is, and there's only one company to blame for that.
Meanwhile, Apple introduces software technologies like Bonjour, and you can get them on all available platforms. Same with iTunes (for better or for worse... runs like crap, but at least you're getting every feature of the software that you'd get on your Mac)... so once again, arguing that APPLE is the definition of proprietary is a bit misguided... not ENTIRELY unwarranted, but to claim something like that when it appears that they're the lesser of two evils in that regard seems silly.

yayaba

Actually, looking at screen shots of Tiger now, it looks pretty boring.

TigerDesk.png

Compared with Leopard:

MacOSX10-5.jpg

Or maybe I just picked a bad picture of Tiger.

For comparison's sake here's Vista. I don't think it looks half bad.

Windows_Vista_Desktop.png

Sean

Banned
The only thing I dislike about the new interface in Leopard is that stupid transparent menu bar... i hope there is a preference to turn that off.

Sean said:
The only thing I dislike about the new interface in Leopard is that stupid transparent menu bar... i hope there is a preference to turn that off.

there is. someone at macrumors was playing with it today at WWDC.

yayaba

infiniteloop said:
i have my dock on the left, i can't cope with it on the bottom.

Now that you mention it, I have my dock on the left also with TinkerTool adjusting it so it's at the bottom left.

I have a Macbook and with its widescreen display, I barely have enough vertical real estate. The dock always took up a huge amount of space on the bottom of the screen so I moved it to the left to use up some of the extra horizontal space. This isn't a problem when I'm outputting to a 20" widescreen display but I don't use that configuration as much.

Wonder how it'll look now (or if Tinker Tool will even work).

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Hopefully EA will release Spore for OS X now. All I need is for somehow Valve to put Steam on OS X and I'll never have to boot into Windows again (unless there's a really sweet game coming out).

mollipen

djkimothy said:
The awkward thing is, I have my Dock on the right. How will that look? :/

Another of the WWDC reports from somebody said that it actually looks better being on one of the two sides. The more I look at the new Dock, the more I'm not sure about its new look - but that's partially because I always run TransparentDock, so I'm used to nothing behind it. Looks like it's going to take up more room now though.

And, personally, I like the new translucent menubar. That's one of the dumb little things I've been wanting. But, thankfully, people will have the choice, and it isn't one or the other.

npm0925 said:
Leopard will only run on 64-bit architectures (i.e., core 2 duo Macs), correct?

No, not correct.

mollipen

npm0925 said:
Really? Can you point me to a source?

Well, I don't have anything to point you to, except this page that talks about the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the libraries. But, at the same time, I have nothing to point you to saying that it will be 64-bit only, and if Apple was seriously going to screw over that many Mac owners, I think they're have to be fessing up to it.

pxleyes

Banned
Futureman said:
The transparent menu bar doesn't even make sense to me. Good thing you can turn that off.

What doesn't make sense? It works for MS, so they took it. What, you think only MS takes from Apple?

npm0925

shidoshi said:
Well, I don't have anything to point you to, except this page that talks about the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the libraries. But, at the same time, I have nothing to point you to saying that it will be 64-bit only, and if Apple was seriously going to screw over that many Mac owners, I think they're have to be fessing up to it.
Ok, thanks. I'm thinking I'll go ahead with my plans to buy a Mac mini if this is the case.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
iPhone June 2007, straight from Apple's website:

remoteImage-26.jpg

The picture quoted above is squished vertically, in order to compare it to the old image. Sloppy trick.

medrew

djkimothy said:
Their browser runs off Konquerer's rendering engine. It's open source!

Konquerer is, too bad Apple are a bunch of ****wits when it comes to passing back the changes they made that they are supposed to under the GPL. Some of the most difficult people to work with in the software world, it took intervention of Jobs to get them to play nice with the Konquerer team.

Terrell

npm0925 said:
Ok, thanks. I'm thinking I'll go ahead with my plans to buy a Mac mini if this is the case.
Well, if it also re-assures you, the TUAW liveblog of the keynote states that all currently-shipping Macs can run OS X 10.5, and the Mac mini doesn't have a 64-bit CPU. So there you are.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Safari 3 beta borked my dad's MacBook Pro. Had to put it in target disk mode and reinstall 10.4.9 from another mac to fix it.

All I really want to know now is how Leopard will perform on an iBook G4.

medrew said:
Konquerer is, too bad Apple are a bunch of ****wits when it comes to passing back the changes they made that they are supposed to under the GPL. Some of the most difficult people to work with in the software world, it took intervention of Jobs to get them to play nice with the Konquerer team.
To be precise, WebCore is Apple's version of KHTML(the KDE html engine), and while Apple was sending back changes, they weren't in a form usable by the KHTML team.

Top Bottom