• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apple WWDC 2007 Thread

mollipen

Okay, seriously... I want that Core Animation demo app. Thinking about browsing my music video collection with that thing... unf.

Phoenix

npm0925 said:
Really? Can you point me to a source?

OSX runs on 32 bit and 64 bit architectures as well as Power architectures. There is no source that has ever suggested otherwise.

Terrell

Dragona Akehi said:
The only disappointing part of this conference was a lack of Leopard release date.

Phoenix, is Finder finally cocoa?
Uhhh, didn't they re-iterate an October release? With that being so far off, I hope you weren't angling for a specific day or anything.

yayaba

Futureman said:
The transparent menu bar doesn't even make sense to me. Good thing you can turn that off.

Well, they described it as a way to focus on your wallpaper or something like that.

Terrell said:
Uhhh, didn't they re-iterate an October release? With that being so far off, I hope you weren't angling for a specific day or anything.

As much as I <3 my mac, I haven't been keeping up.

As for the specific day, a woman can dream, no?

Sanjuro

yayaba said:
Well, they described it as a way to focus on your wallpaper or something like that.
Would be hot if they could make it like a semi-transparent mirror style reflecting what is above it.

Phoenix

Hitokage said:
Safari 3 beta borked my dad's MacBook Pro. Had to put it in target disk mode and reinstall 10.4.9 from another mac to fix it.

All I really want to know now is how Leopard will perform on an iBook G4.

To be precise, WebCore is Apple's version of KHTML(the KDE html engine), and while Apple was sending back changes, they weren't in a form usable by the KHTML team.

And to be even more precise, WebKit is open source - its actually the foundation of ALL of Nokia's mobile browsers. To anyone who thinks that Safari is proprietary - they are complete delusional.

http://webkit.org/

Dez

Safari 3.0 beta screws up some features in another Webkit program, Adium. Transparent windows become opaque .... :( I quickly uninstalled it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Futureman said:
The transparent menu bar doesn't even make sense to me. Good thing you can turn that off.

Vista's taskbar is transparent too.

npm0925 said:
Leopard will only run on 64-bit architectures (i.e., core 2 duo Macs), correct?

Steve Jobs said it would work on both during the keynote- do you think they were going to cut out all of their PPC and Core Duo users?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Sweet- did not see this re: Safari:

daringfireball.net said:
He’s wrong that it doesn’t offer session saving, it’s just that it isn’t automatic – you have to invoke History &#8594; Reopen All Windows From Last Session.

After searching high and low for it I thought for sure Apple left it out, but thankfully they didn't.

iapetus said:
This is not my experience. Here's what it makes of Slashdot out of the box on my machine:

safari.jpg

WTF is with that font?

Here's how it looks on my system:

150fs830992.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can anyone summarize the whole Illuminous thing for me? I guess it's not real, and I guess Apple is not working on a new UI at all?

Macam

Banned
Kak.efes said:
My 1.5GHz PB cried a little today. I'll upgrade after Leopards release, maybe the next MBP revision.

Why? It'll run fine on your 1.5Ghz PB -- I can't say much more obviously, but it's running just fine on my aging 1.5Ghz PB.
Yes, I'm@WWDC.

Futureman

quicklook_gallery_tiger20070611.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's Illuminious there (the black window around the leopard). It's not meant to be a completely knew GUI.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
does the translucent taskbar become opaque on mouse over? I think that would be interesting

SaotomeMtl said:
Still waiting for some updated iMacs.
This is what I am waiting for. I miss my iBook I that I gave to my sister :(

Some thoughts:

-Transparent Menu Bar is a great idea, but ugly in it's current state. I'm sure it'll be very configurable, but as somebody mentioned earlier, a transparent+reflections type thing sounds awesome.
-The new Finder looks awesome. I'm surprised they're modeling all of their new apps around iTunes, but it makes sense. Previewing features look awesome and coverflow may actually be useful since docs/pictures/slideshows and all that show visual previews now. Hopefully it won't have all the quirks that the current Finder has.
-I don't like the table-style dock. I hope you can change that.
-Somebody mentioned Spotlight and Dashboard would work faster? Spotlight in particular better be faster, my Mac Mini Core Solo really struggles when I search w/ spotlight.

Everything else is meh. Stacks looks nice, but is forgettable; I don't use desktop icons anyway. iChat features are gimmicky. With Expose (by far my favorite feature switching from XP to OS X), Spaces is a little redundant and I wouldn't want it adding clutter to my small dock.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Futureman said:
[im]http://images.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/images/quicklook_gallery_tiger20070611.jpg[/img]

I'm pretty sure that's Illuminious there (the black window around the leopard). It's not meant to be a completely knew GUI.

I want Illuminous. Now plz.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Leopard looks nice, but I don't think I'll shell out the cash for it. I'll just wait until it's time to spring for a MacBook Pro. I do wonder how Leopard would run on my 1.5 PowerBook . . .

A consistent look for the interface and the new Finder are both welcome (long-overdue) additions. Stacks may or may not be worthwhile. I suspect I'll get at least some use out Spaces, anyway. Time Machine is still the most practical thing in there by a wide margin. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't find Coverflow to be useful at all. All in all, a pretty tame batch of secret features.

Why the hell aren't Widgets uncoupled from Dashboard yet, particularly in light of Spaces? And that Movies Widget . . . yeah, it's called "Sherlock". That Widget-maker thingamajig is pretty cool, though.

perryfarrell said:
Dude, you take fanboy-ism to a whole other level. It's like you joined a cult or sumtin.
what are you talking about? it's not as if im wrong. look at everything Leopard offers. it's better than Tiger in every way, and that was already much better than the competition.

here, maybe this will convince you that im definitely in a cult or something...

l_ece8f877b132fbfa913e29c0f10f0cfc.jpg

Futureman

Macrumors.com just posted a story where the inclusion of ZFS in Leopard is in doubt. What the hell? What was that Sun guy smoking?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
No ZFS?!

I was surprised he didn't mention it, but thought that might be a usual 'Steve Jobs pissed off at Sun bloke for speaking too soon' thing.

It might still be in there, just announced further down the line. Any reports from the version developers got their hands on yesterday?

Grifter

Just got an MBP, what do people mean when they say Mac finally has a unified look? The metallic app theme vs. white menus?

Grifter said:
Just got an MBP, what do people mean when they say Mac finally has a unified look? The metallic app theme vs. white menus?

Safari, Mail and iTunes (to name a few) all have different styles to them.

Sanjuro

SuperPac said:
New Safari beta runs nice n' smooth on my Mac. But I think I'll stick with Firefox, honestly. :\
Yeah its running smoother than any other browser easily...but Firefox feels more natural for add-ons and the way I use my Bookmarks.

Macam

Banned
imastalker co. said:
it works for me, and let me just say, it was a hell of a show.

Leopard must be what was used to design the universe.

You're starting to make these Apple threads absolutely unbearable.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
imastalker co. said:
it works for me, and let me just say, it was a hell of a show.

Leopard must be what was used to design the universe.

Are you trying to take the hyperbole crown away from Ami or something?

You are going to have people switching back to Windows just to disassociate themselves soon!

Futureman

Honestly I thought this was a rather boring keynote.

Even though Leopard looks SO HOT, the 10 features thing was kinda weak. New desktop, new finder, Time Machine, Quick Look were all awesome stuff, but everything else was either shown last year or was kinda of boringly presented (Core Animations sounds sweet, but his little demo didn't really show how it would benefit the end user).

The two "One more thing..." segments were the two worst ones ever since I've been watching Steve's keynotes for a few years now.

But whatever. Leopard is gonna be so ace when it's released, plus the next Apple show should be pretty awesome with new Macs and iPods.

Futureman

SolidSquirrel said:
Is that desktop the default now? I must say, I like Aqua blue desktops a lot more.

In what way? You can turn off the transparent menu bar, plus I'm sure you can make the dock smaller so it isn't as obtrusive as it looks. Plus stacks looks sweet as hell.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
There is a reason ZFS was not mentioned:

Apple now says that the ZFS file system will be available in the forthcoming Mac operating system, sort of.
Seeking to clarify a statement made on Monday by Brian Croll, senior director of Mac OS X Product Marketing, to two InformationWeek reporters that Apple's new "Leopard" operating system would not include the ZFS file system, an Apple spokesperson indicated that ZFS would be available as a limited option, but not as the default file system.

ZFS "is only available a read-only option from the command line," according to an Apple spokesperson.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;?articleID=199903525

Futureman

Wow. Safari 3 on the Mac is insane. Fastest browser I've used without a doubt. Not only does it render pages fast, but the actual program feels so snappy. Safari 2 had the tendency to lag a bit and the beach ball would come up every now and then, but not 3. If this is an indication of what all the core OS programs will run like under Leopard, I can't wait. That's always been my one problem with OS X, it always felt a little laggy compared to Windows.

With Expose (by far my favorite feature switching from XP to OS X), Spaces is a little redundant and I wouldn't want it adding clutter to my small dock.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spaces doesn't need to be in your dock to be running. It's probably like Dashboard. You can yank the dashboard icon right out of your dock and it continues to run without occupying space in the dock. That said, I doubt I'll use Spaces also. If I don't want an app cluttering my screen I just close it or hide it. And since the apps don't output sound if they are in an inactive space, there's no benefit to moving iTunes to a different Space just to get it out of the way while I work.

The demo Steve showed has him running at least 8 apps at the same time, one of which is World of Warcraft. What's the point? If I'm going to use an app so infrequently that I hide it in a different space, I may as well just quit it and free up system resources.

Top Bottom