• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

steve

Banned
I'm glad you all enjoyed my shirtless Mugshots, my wife keeps it damn hot here in the house during the winter, we have a wood stove and it's situated right next to the couch where I play, so shirtless play ftw. :lol

I can't stress how much fun I had playing tonight, with most of you it was the first time I got to play online with you over PSN, happy to report the first encounmter was an extremely positive one.

Highlight for me was lining up for the 8 man barrel roll. :D

I'm so amazed at how damn smooth the game runs, you'd never know it was an online game, it's literally PERFECT netcode. I don't think I've ever played an online game on any platform as flawless as this one is (PS3).

If I told someone I was playign with NPCs, they would have no choice but to believe me, there's just no indication of it being an online game, no lag, no jumping, no studder, nothing.

And the voice chat is crystal clear too.

Criterion deserves mad props for this.

radjago

Gary Whitta said:
I just feel like I'm spending 25-50% of my time just driving around looking for a traffic light (there are looong areas without any) while in the old Burnout games I spent 100% of my time racing and crashing.

And I reeeeally miss a dedicated Crash mode. One of the best things about Burnout since the second game and they took it out. For fuck's sake.
Fixed for posterity.

Also I have seen way too many pictures of manly parts and not enough feminine ones.

steve

Banned
Red Mercury said:
Always loved the Burnout games but never actually owned one. Played a bunch of Burnout 2 and 3 at friend's places though. Checked out the demo, and I was a bit let down after all the hype but I could see the potential. After checking the GAF thread, I decided to bite the bullet and pick it up.

Very glad I did. Only played for two hours or so, but I'm having a blast just doing single player things. I don't know why but I am hooked on the mountain range area. When I first found the train trestle short cut my jaw was on the floor. It was such an unexpected and extremely cool short cut. Everything up to that had been down an alley or some such.

Races are fun, and having the compass points as the end destination has helped. Even in my two hours of play once we get close to an end point I'm semi familiar with I can pull of some crazy short cuts and beat the competition there by miles. (Again, the train trestle short cut took like a minute off my run time into the mountains. Yay for Windmill end point.)

I do wish I was able to find more of the Burning Route events as the one I was in seemed extremely cool. And the Marked Man events are just nuts. So are the take down events, (forgot exactly what they are called.) as I've just gotten an SUV type vehicle and I'm like a tank out there on the streets.

To the poster who said they felt those particular events (take downs) were anticlimatic, I initially felt the same way. However, I shortly realized that even if you miss the initial pack of racers if you keep going they'll pop up again. This can lead to some CRAZY scenes as I lead a group into that very same train trestle (can you tell I love that short cut) and chaos just ensued. I ended that even with 21 takedowns. (And I only needed 5.)

One more random thing, I am loving the cars you need to take down outside of the events. I chased one all the way from the city to the mountains. Kept clipping things at weird angles and wrecking but it was extremely satisfying and rewarding to finally bring that bastard down. (And then promptly take that same vehicle out for a spin.)

Really loving the game so far... Don't let the demo scare you off to much.. once you have the whole city in front of you there is always something to do. Events, Gates, Billboards, Super Jumps... there is always something just around the corner.

That shortcut is the only place I've managed to make full use of Burnout mode. Everywhere else I crash so damn fast because you're just moving TOO quickly, it's insane how fast you can go in this game. That shortcut is like one bigass straight run with tons of jumps and crazy sights, perfect for Burnout mode in a sportscar. :D

IJoel

Alright, I've put more time into the game and I do like it much more. That said, I'd love for Criterion to patch the game to at least make it an option to show a BIG ARROW flashing in the middle of the screen for an instant whenever I should make a turn. It's been really aggravating to lose a race, not because of racing, but because of directions.

Z3F

Banned
nib95 said:
Burnout Paradise Head to Head.

http://uk.insider.ign.com/articles/846/846534p1.html

Graphics

Burnout Paradise is an amazing technical feat and looks great on both systems. The absence of loading screens, the rock solid framerate, the detail on car models, and the sheer speed at which everything is rendered is a stunning achievement. That being said, there are some small but noticeable differences that make the PS3 the clear choice in this category. You'll notice that while colors seem a little more subdued on the PS3 (we were playing with identical screen brightness settings), there is generally a bit more detail in the environments, especially in town with lots of objects being rendered in a comparatively small area.

Likewise, the draw distance is a little cleaner and more distinct in the PS3 version. The 360 version also has a fair amount of pop-in, especially with distant objects. I also found cars in traffic would sometimes add-in a last layer of texture detail as I got closer to them in the 360 version. There's some pop-in in the PS3 version too, but generally speaking, it's much less noticeable, restricted to a tree or some bushes in the background. The PS3 had the slight edge in lighting effects in as well, with some interesting refraction or glint happening at almost all times on your car model, while the 360's lighting seems a little less pronounced.

While both versions of the game run at rock solid framerates, it did seem like the PS3's was a little bit faster, running silky smooth at high speeds. The 360 version is an admirable production but the framerate does seem slightly slower than the PS3's, with an occasional hitch at high speeds. This isn't something to be too concerned about as both version look and feel great at top speed, and most people probably won't ever see a difference unless switching back and forth on an HD monitor. Also, some people may actually prefer the overall look of the 360 version because colors seem to pop a little more brightly from the screen, but otherwise, the game is just a bit more detailed, smoother, and better lit on the PS3. Both versions really do look great, but the edge has to go to the PS3 here.

Thanks for posting this. I think I'll go with the PS3 version even though I far perfer the 360's controller for racing games.

Anyone knows if the PS3 ver. has support for rumble?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
DenogginizerOS said:
I just spent about 2 hours with Remy and a bunch of others. Mugshots and good laughs galore. I seriously cannot emphasize enough to people to get out and try this game and try it with a microphone, a camera, and some friends. You will be hooked in a heartbeat.

That was seriously tons of fun. Not sure who kept flipping me off in their mugshots, but too many of you guys go shirtless during your gaming I see :lol :lol :lol !!!! This game goes from a great game to a must-have when partied up with Gaffers who want to actually do the missions.

Don't hesitate to invite me if you see me on, any of you.

Edit: ^^^^^ Yes, full rumble support, and lots of it.

Loudninja

Z3F said:
Thanks for posting this. I think I'll go with the PS3 version even though I far perfer the 360's controller for racing games.

Anyone knows if the PS3 ver. has support for rumble?

Yes, it supports rumble

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Something that I was surprised by, is that this game actually has a really good soundtrack so far. The best "EA TRAXXXXXX" I've heard... with not one nu rock, generic techno, shite 'my new haircut' "dance beats" or juggalow song yet.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
lupinko said:
Picked up my copy, PSN SuperkingGCNET. =)

lol @ Avril Lavigne music, oddly though it fits the game.

Nooooooooooooooooo at the Avril Lavigne music in Burnout! PORQUE!

Aladuf

Banned
lupinko said:
Picked up my copy, PSN SuperkingGCNET. =)

lol @ Avril Lavigne music, oddly though it fits the game.

lol that threw me off at first... but mostly the game has a really good soundtrack.

steve

Banned
Actually, I find the soundtrack to be surprisingly decent. The most surprsing thing so far hs been how many people have cameras and headsets hooked up for this (PS3), I've grown so used to no one talking online on PSN games, playing this is likegoing back to the good old days of SOCOM.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
IJoel said:
Alright, I've put more time into the game and I do like it much more. That said, I'd love for Criterion to patch the game to at least make it an option to show a BIG ARROW flashing in the middle of the screen for an instant whenever I should make a turn. It's been really aggravating to lose a race, not because of racing, but because of directions.

I think that once I get used to the flashing street signs I will be alot better in this game.

Elbrain said:
Nooooooooooooooooo at the Avril Lavigne music in Burnout! PORQUE!

I have to say, and I'm not proud to admit this - but having never heard that song outside of the game, it was instantly the most catchy track on there. Perhaps I'm finally hitting that old age where pop music is 'ok' or even 'enjoyable', but damnit... I had a ton of fun doing a Road Rage to that song. It surprisingly fits.

Rowsdower

Glad even the demo doubters seem to enjoy this game. My copy should arrive today, and i can't wait to join in on the fun.
Thanks again h3ro for keeping track of GTs and PSNs in my absence.

Spruchy

HEY HEY HEY I WANNA BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND..

Online is pretty rad and unlocking achievements left and right like nobody's business is A-OK in my book.

cmmart

the game is definitely fun. unfortunately, i can't seem to get the race mode down. i am directionally retarded and always going the wrong way. i need a gps yelling at me. if i could get the racing down, this game would be pretty close to perfect. practice makes perfect. love the suv.

i had a big smile when i first put the disc in and G n R started kicking ass. if anybody wants to add me, feel free. 360 gamertag: cmmart

soundtrack sucks to be expected. custom soundtracks and kasabian ftw.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn you bastards and your enjoyment of the game! I will probably not get mine till the fucking 4th all because of stupid little clicking mistake a#$^%@$#%@#. Well hopefully Amazon will read my e-mail and rectify this!

big_z

Elbrain said:
Damn you bastards and your enjoyment of the game! I will probably not get mine till the fucking 4th all because of stupid little clicking mistake a#$^%@$#%@#. Well hopefully Amazon will read my e-mail and rectify this!

yeah me too, EA just shipped mine today. you think they would ship it out a bit early so people would get it on the release date but i guess not. but whatever got it for $40 thanks to a coupon....

I put about 7 hours in today (360 version) and while I'm mostly enjoying it, I'm starting to think that Criterion just doesn't get it as there is something fundamentally missing here...

I usually love open world games (especially those with tons of side activities) so I'm really digging just exploring the environment. I already have 330+ smashes, more than half of the jumps, and I'm only missing one damn drive-thru and 8 events. Criterion really nailed this part. HOWEVER, in doing so they forgot about what made Burnout so fun and replayable - fun races and great track design (let's not even bring up Crash mode). I'm all for a few mad dashes across the city to mix things up, but I also want some well-designed circuits thrown in, and because the city was designed around being a city, the races themselves just aren't that fun, interesting, or memorable. The other modes are okay, but nothing in the game is as FUN as typical Burnout racing and Crash modes from the last two games. What a fucking shame...

A few more thoughts:
- I really need to get a vision camera. The first picture I received was of an Asian kid flipping me off, which sold me instantly on the whole concept.
- Stunt Mode, which is basically Tony Hawk in a car, DESPERATELY needs a quick retry so you can perfect your lines at the higher difficulties.
- Burning Lap also needs a retry since you're bringing out certain cars JUST for one event.
- No retry isn't as big of a deal in the other modes since you usually end up near another event, but I would still take 15-30 seconds of loading any day over having to spend twice as long or more driving back to the start of an event.
- Did Criterion forget to put a few options screens in the game?

Summary - fun open world but the meat of the game pales in comparison to the last two games.

XBL - dammitmattt

Proc

Interesting perspective Matt. Many of your faults are making me hesitant to buy this one right away. Sounds like I need to rent it first.

lupinko

So how do gaf gaming things work? Do you guys get together on certain days? I'm currently updating Burnout Paradise right now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lupinko said:
So how do gaf gaming things work? Do you guys get together on certain days? I'm currently updating Burnout Paradise right now.

updating? There is a patch already?

Afrikan

the Camera is great but, I've never been flipped off so much in my life.....

this one guy was doing different gangster poses......:lol

and this other guy's camera was pointed at his girl...needless to say, I don't think she knew this game takes snapshots or was amused because the rest of the time I took him down....the camera was facing the wall.......

anyway add me PSN folks "Afrikan"

quetz67

Banned
I still dont understand their refusal to put an 'quick restart' option in. The game goes into an extra mode for racing anyway, the seamlessness isnt there.

If they wanted to make it right you should have to use your horn at certain locations and the opponent would then come around the corner, not just magically appear.

I dont think the game is bad at all, but it (probably) isnt for me. I am happy if I find an hour a day to play my PS3 and I wont waste half of this time going back to race starting points. The online mode sounds nice in theory but I know I will get my ass handed by all you hardcore gamers playing hours a day to perfect their stunts and memorizing the city layout.

What makes me sad is the arrogant behaviour, it would hurt nobody to add a quickplay mode for the lazy casual gamers, nor would it cost much effort.

Gary Whitta said:
I just feel like I'm spending 25-50% of my time just driving around looking for a traffic light (there are looong areas without any) while in the old Burnout games I spent 100% of my time racing and crashing.

And I reeeeally miss a dedicated Crash mode. One of the best things about Burnout since the very first game and they took it out. For fuck's sake.

yeah, I noticed im wasting a lot of time doing nothing but getting someone in the game.

I hate having to drive around trying to find a junk yard just to change cars, this is a bigger problem because there are car specific events all over the place.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
bune duggy said:
I don't remember what I hit in my second one (lower than 28, though). I really like the changes they made to RR because you can change directions and go onside streets...it's not like you're stuck on a specific route or something. Nice change.
Yea, RR on roads with pillars was pure murder, but now you can go down side streets and all that, completely take obstacles out of the question. I love it. I crashed into a pillar early on and then I was like "hey....I don't even need to be driving on this road...":D

shinsnake

Banned
My brother in law got this game yesterday and he's seeing this weird pixelation problem. It almost looks like broken pixels like you would see on the DS or the PSP, except they move around in a seemingly random manner. This also happened to him with Skate. Both freeze up on him, but NCAA has neither problem. He also has COD4 and Pirates of the Carribbean and neither show any problems. I don't know if he installed the patch, but I'm assuming he did. Anybody heard about issues like this with this game or Skate? He has his PS3 hooked up to a Vizio plasma TV through an official Sony HDMI cable.

Xun

shinsnake said:
My brother in law got this game yesterday and he's seeing this weird pixelation problem. It almost looks like broken pixels like you would see on the DS or the PSP, except they move around in a seemingly random manner. This also happened to him with Skate. Both freeze up on him, but NCAA has neither problem. He also has COD4 and Pirates of the Carribbean and neither show any problems. I don't know if he installed the patch, but I'm assuming he did. Anybody heard about issues like this with this game or Skate? He has his PS3 hooked up to a Vizio plasma TV through an official Sony HDMI cable.
Artifacting.

Sorry man, the PS3 is about to die. It's due to the overheating of the GPU.

I had the exact same problem with my original Wii.

sinnergy

Any of you played both retail versions. I am in a twist about what version I want to get.
X360 has easy mic support and all my friends have X360.
PS3 mic support is crappy (it was in the demo) but it has the most stable framerate, no friends of mine have a PS3.

What I am asking is, how bad is the framerate in the X360 version..

El-Suave

WTF EA? The German PS3 version of the game comes without an English language option! Just got mine and it was a French soundtrack when the console is set to English. Huge disappointment, I already sold my copy. I will still get the UK version but still... WTF?

shinsnake

Banned
Xun said:
Artifacting.

Sorry man, the PS3 is about to die. It's due to the overheating of the GPU.

I had the exact same problem with my original Wii.

Artifacting huh? Okay, well, that at least gives me something to search on. Pixelation was bringing up no leads. I wonder why it only seems to do it on EA games.

Thanks!

Remy

For those of you having trouble finding lines when racing - from my experience, it'll come with time. There is something to be said about knowing the city.

TomO

sinnergy said:
What I am asking is, how bad is the framerate in the X360 version..
I've played both (probably 20+ hours with PS3 and a good 5 with 360) and the difference is minimal. Unless I'm going blind anyone claiming the PS3 game is vastly superior in terms of frame rate is either lying or hasn't played both. If you have more friends with 360s I'd definitely go for the 360 version as online is a big part of the game. The negativity towards the 360 release has been completely over the top.

At worst you'll see one or two moments of slowdown during an extended play session that you probably wouldn't seen in the PS3 game.

I was having a blast driving around the city with a buddy, looking for jumps and what not but when I finally started to play single player and tried some races it kind of fell apart. It might only be because it's still early and I'm not familiar with Paradise City but I was either looking at the map and wrecking or looking at the road and missing a turn. I won quite a few races but I didn't feel like I should have. Sometimes I would go way off course and have to backtrack only to find myself back in the middle of the pack once I got back on course. The other events were quite fun but racing is a pain in the ass for me right now.

rSpooky

THe game is tons of fun, and a perfect kind of game that I can share with my kids. Even my 3 year old loves to play it ( although she is not that good , but hey everyone can crash right?) The showtime mode is not as good as crashmode ( please criterion make an add on pack soon) but the ability to use it anywhere, anytime is fantastic.

IT is very satisfiying starting it up at a big intersection and hear my kids (3,6 and 12) yell : HIT THE BUS HIT THE BUS!!!

followed by cheers and laughter.

:lol

EDIT: I am glad I can turn most of DJ atomic'a babbling of byt turning of tips in the options menu.

My PSN tag = McSpooky

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Burnout isn't my game, but a heads-up for the Dutchies on here - a store that I normally go to already had both versions of the game since yesterday afternoon...

dkeane

Two questions:
1. How do I power park? I tried but never figured out how to do so in the demo.

2. What increases your power ranking when playing online?

Rowsdower

Just got back to work after a two hours offline-session of the game. Needless to say time flew by. Thoughts:

-They shut have put the intro from the beginning in the demo. It did a good job in showing what there is to do in Paradise city. Also, epic music.

- The streets are literally littered with stuff to do. Great addiciton potential here, "oh come on, one more challenge" material. You don't even have to think what to do next, you just stumble across something and think "Oh neat, why don't i do this next".

-No retry is an issue in some events, in others not. Desperately needed in Burning Route, not at all in stuff like Road Rage or Marked Man.

-The game is laughably easy at the beginning. Stunt events require a score from >50.000 while i rank in the millions. But knowing my burnout, it will become challenging soon.

-Oldschool Burnout Fans are in for a treat. The boost system of the race cars is exactly the same as in BO2, the one of aggression cars is from BO3: Takedown. The car pool features a great variety and the car classes handle completely different.

-The new events Marked Man and Stunt Run are both excellent. Stunt Run takes some patience at the beginning (i despised it when i tried it in the demo for the first time), but gets way more exciting and fun further down the road. Marked Man is just crazy intense and reminds me of the last mission in the original Driver on PSone.

-The soundtrack is suprisingly fitting. I didn't feel the urge to use custom soundtrack yet.

-Seriously, this game is addictive.

-Showtime seems just weird and unpolished. I didn't spend much time with it though.

-My concerns about variety in Paradise City were unjustified. The mountain terrain and Downtown look nothing alike, reminds me a bit of GTA: San Andreas on a smaller scale.

-Road Rage profits the most from the open world concept. It has never been more intense, crazy and just plain fun.

If Burnout Paradise keeps this level of fun and entertainment, nothing can stop this from becoming my favorite Burnout ever. This is coming from a guy who still thinks BO3:Takedown was one of the best games of the last generation. And even if you can't play this online, the single player aspect will keep you busy for weeks and months to come.

studio810 said:
Two questions:
1. How do I power park? I tried but never figured out how to do so in the demo.

2. What increases your power ranking when playing online?

From myself:

There are sometimes a few cars parked on the side of the road with enough space between them. Drive by, do a 180° e-brake turn and depending on your parking angle and overall placement between the parking cars you'll receive a power parking score between 0 and 100%. Damage the parking cars and the power parking fails.

G Rom

I'm reporting that the Micromania code works for me, but others don't (PS3 - France).
When I unlocked the car I wasn't online so I guess the content should be on the BD...
As EA does one BD/DVD master per zone, the code issues should come from that ! Don't know !

cjdunn

darkressurection said:
Yeah, I got one with a shirtless steve too, yours was tame in comparison . I missed that 25 mile race. Must have been brutal.:lol
Everyone really does need a headset and camera and shirt for maximum enjoyment.

fixed.

glaurung

So, is anyone going to collect all the unlockable game codes?

Or can someone tell about some unlocked cars that need special attention?

Rowsdower

glaurung said:
So, is anyone going to collect all the unlockable game codes?

Or can someone tell about some unlocked cars that need special attention?

They are in the OP. If i hear from additional codes i'll edit them in.

FlyinJ said:
Something that I was surprised by, is that this game actually has a really good soundtrack so far. The best "EA TRAXXXXXX" I've heard... with not one nu rock, generic techno, shite 'my new haircut' "dance beats" or juggalow song yet.
wait until you hear Girlfriend by Avril Lavergne.

apart from that though, yeah, the soundtrack is actually bloody good.

got the ps3 version, haven't taken it online yet (unlocking cars and learning my way around...) but i have to say i'm a convert. they've been brutal in applying their 'one seamless world' thing to the game.

i can see how specific set up crash junctions wouldn't work. i get the no retry option thing... and i have to say i'm probably going to be one of the only people to say this, but those were worthy cuts to make the game this seamless.

hell, i even like showtime. it's so ridiculous, and you get to see the crashes in all their glory just as before. you can cause similar kind of pile ups, it's just a bit more ott and more organic than the prescribed junctions of old.

the old crash mode just doesn't fit with the new vision, and while i get that a lot of people think a slight adjustment of the vision would be worth it for crash mode, i don't.

and driving back to the start of a burning route when you fuck up? it's the exact sort of thing us gamers hate. losing a shortcut we've always had. it's like taking quicksave away from a PC gamer...

but here's why i'm all in.

driving back and trying over is humiliating... it's a bit annoying... but what i love about it, is what it does to the racing. failing an event is much more catastrophic than it was before. it feels like there's more at risk, which makes succeeding in an event all the more rewarding, and makes those moments when you're nearing failure all the more tense and exciting. even more so now that it's all or nothing. no silvers in paradise.

only speaking for myself here of course.

i love the new car classes and how they play like different burnout games... seems like a stroke of genius. i love paradise. i love that there's no invisible boundaries anymore. i love just driving around and exploring, trying to scope out new shortcuts and new garages and stuff... then another driver buzzes by you and the chase is on.

it takes a mental adjustment to really get into burnout... and for some it's just asking too much to not think of the game in linear progression (speaking as someone that in all previous burnouts would focus on one event at a time until they got gold... had to give that up).

the seamless online was a bunch of fun in the demo, but i feel like i have to prep myself a bit before taking this baby online again. look forwards to playing with you guys though.

i just wish Sony would announce a date for the DS3 in america.

cjdunn

So my trip to BestBlows was almost disastrous. I could not find it anywhere in the gaming section. (I also could not find Advanced Wars: DoR and the Rock Band boxes are still dated from early December, but those are two different threads).

I was about to walk out empty handed when I saw the rack for Paradise they had set up in the front but way off to the side. Well done guys!

Anyway, let the record show that Burnout Paradise is the way you don't do a demo at all!!!

What an empty fart of a demo for such huge, well designed game.

Top Bottom