• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

McLovin

Wow this games awesome! Been playing it an hour and a half and I already have more "oOOOOh shit" moments then I can remember :lol

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Getting the 360 version because I prefer the 360 controller and I want more points added to my gamerscore.

B-Ri said:
whats update 1.10 all about?
I don't know but it totally fucked up the game we had going earlier.
We tried to do a race and since some people weren't patched we ended up just ending the session.
Shepherd said:
Getting the 360 version because I prefer the 360 controller and I want more points added to my gamerscore.
facepalm.jpg

h3ro

bune duggy said:
Still, comparing the market size of both, there should be more selling on the 360 anyway. still, I'm not surprised.

Yeah, I figure the 360 version should easily double sales of the PS3 version, atleast...

I just sent out a few PSN invites... I'm getting should be delivered either tomorrow or day after... I hope I'm not to far behind the GAF curve... :p

darkressurection said:
I don't know but it totally fucked up the game we had going earlier.
We tried to do a race and since some people weren't patched we ended up just ending the session.

facepalm.jpg

Yeah, that was lame.

Apparently I was playing online with a Criterion employee and now I have some sort of virus I can give people (and an achievement.) :D

edit: 360 version, GT: UScr00ge

Invite me to a game if you want the virus achievement.

h3ro

PS3 PSN IDs:

Big Nate - Diseasedyak
KTallguy - KTallguy
McLovin - Quarry
Remy - RemyVJA
Sykra - Sykra
joe211 - gengis
OatmealMu - OatmealMu
calder - caldermuyo
h3ro - m0nkeyhero
Elbrain - Alfred-abomb
Plinko - RedWingLion
BlindMonkey - BlindMonkey
WHOAguitarninja - WHOAguitarninja
cjdunn - cjdunn
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
Nightz - N1ghtz
DenogginizerOS - Denogginizer
neojubei - neojehuty
Mega Man's Electric Sheep - ElectricSheepNB
Tiduz - Tiduz
TTP - Bloody_Marcel (List full)
Mrbob - Mrbob2k7
EktorPR - EktorOni
Assembly Required - Memory Cure
replayy - replayy
gray_fox224 - riceman224
vercity82 - azmo85
bune duggy - allegate
untoldhero - untoldhero
Somnia - Somnia
kitch9 - kitch9
Sin - Numemonja
Doc Evils - DocEvils
Sirolf - Floris
nofi - nofi
LiquidMetal14 - LiquidMetal14
mysticstylez - SgtCaulk
DJmizuhara - DJmizuhara
Angelcurio - Angelcurio
Slaylock - Slaylock
steve - Asshandler
Ristlager - Ristlager
Kweh - ziggysays
ghostmind - ghostmind
plagiarize - plagiarize
-xBerserker- - xBerserker
bill0527 - Bill0527
Captain N - Captain_N
~Devil Trigger~ - Cydonian
Raw64life - Raw64life
Z_Y - Z_Y
xS1TH L0RDx - xS1THL0RDx
Nightz - N1ghtz
darkressurection - monkyofdoom
Dante - Jenovah
Linkzg - Linkzg64
Guts Of Thor - GutsOfThor
BeeDog - BeeDog
DarkUSS - DarkUSS88
studio810 - dkeane
moeB - moeBT
minimumhippo - minimumhippo
jaydogg691 - jaydogg691
CartridgeBlower - CartridgeBlower
dark10x - dark1x
Mister Chef - ridley182
Fistfulofmetal - Fistfulofmetal
Aladuf23 - Aladuf23
Dot50Cal - Dot50Cal

360 Gamertags:

Rowsdower - mahelar
a Master Ninja - a Master Ninja
Xun - Volcanux
Livin_Lovin - DeadRenegade
burgerdog - burgerdog99
I AM JOHN! - FreakmanJ
MaizeRage25 - MaizeRage25
Eric WK - Eric WK
aidan - Space Donkeys
Opus Angelorum - Aranathos
INTERNET - pushpull
santouras - santouras
Duck - Duckracer1
dskillzhtown - dskillzhtown
C4lukin - C4Lukins
Gowans007 - Gowans007
ascully - Ascullylive
cmmart - cmmart
Median - Median87
crawlingpeter - meltingcones
besada - besada
Kobayashi - el koba
Martial Loh - Martial Loh
DrEvil - Mounlainman
UnholySpectacle - UnholySpectacle
Sasquatch - the bugenhoo
FatalT - FatalT
JdFoX187 - MasterFox187
TeTr1C - BuriedOblivion
Saterium - Saterium
CrapSandwich - whipmeyer
UncleScr00ge - UScr00ge

I picked up the 360 version earlier today and after putting a little more than an hour into it I like it slightly better than the demo. Unfortunately, I disliked the demo a great deal.

+ Free roaming is cool
+ Finding stuff like the crashes, billboards, and jumps are amusing
+ Graphics are awesome and the game runs smooth

- The races are a pain in the ass now thanks to no barriers. (Yeah I know it is choose your own path but when you are out in the mountains choice #2 usually means you lose since it takes you longer. Hell, half the time I try to turn down the quicker road and traffic will just bump me into the wrong path easily.)
- Showtime is fun for about 30 seconds, I want crash mode to return
- Road Rage in SP is boring as hell. All you do is slow down, wait for a car to get in front of you and slightly nudge it into the wall. Something about Road Rage in an open world just does not work. I'd rather play it on a set track.
- Losing a race out in the mountains means a long trek back to your start point. It can still be a pretty far drive to the closest event, which may be just a stunt run.
- Stunt Runs are boring to me.

I'm not shitting on the game, I know it was not tailored to me. I much prefered the style of Burnout 3. That is all there is to it, the open world does nothing for me and I don't feel it fits the Burnout universe but I'm glad people are still getting enjoyment from Criterion's latest creation; I just wish I was one of them. :(

calder

After a brutal day at work, I almost skipped going to pick up the game but relented and got it. Glad I did, just turned it on and poof there goes 2 hours. :D Really enjoying the exploration stuff as I did in the demo, and of course having the whole map open really adds to it all. As someone who just loved the Super Jumps in GTA this aspect of the game alone would be worth the price for me.

The scenery and terrain are great, I had one instance where I was driving through the downtown area enjoying the lights and signs when I took a sharp turn and saw down a small hill in such a way that I could see the river and bridges all the way to the mountain in the far distance. Very impressive.

I've seen a few people in my friend's list playing tonight, but I wanted to mess around by myself for a bit first (and I was too lazy to go grab my headset). I'll be open to some multi in the next few days for sure though. :D

Dot50Cal

Banned
If anyone wants to coordinate some stunt stuff I can lend my HD recording capabilities. (PS3 only, sorry!). Might end up on Gamersyde or something :lol

Nightz

Man this game is freaking awesome. Just spent 2 1/2 hours straight playing and I actually held my pee because I couldn't put the controller down. I played mostly single player, but got a brief game in with steve and cjdunn. I need more GAF friends so feel free to invite me. I'll be sending out invites of my own soon.

Just the sheer amount of ps3 GAFers buying this game may push me over the edge.
Of course, the fact that the game is stunning and fun doesnt hurt things one bit, either.

Nightz said:
Man this game is freaking awesome. Just spent 2 1/2 hours straight playing and I actually held my pee because I couldn't put the controller down. I played mostly single player, but got a brief game in with steve and cjdunn. I need more GAF friends so feel free to invite me. I'll be sending out invites of my own soon.

I'll send you a FR, if you don't mind.

It was awesome, we were doing a challenge where we had to flat spin off some jumps and I totally came down on top of someone. (I think it was Denogginizer):D Hilarity ensued.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just spent about 2 hours with Remy and a bunch of others. Mugshots and good laughs galore. I seriously cannot emphasize enough to people to get out and try this game and try it with a microphone, a camera, and some friends. You will be hooked in a heartbeat.

darkressurection said:
It was awesome, we were doing a challenge where we had to flat spin off some jumps and I totally came down on top of someone. (I think it was Denogginizer):D Hilarity ensued.

That was both random and funny.

Remy

darkressurection said:
Man, that game with some of the Gaffers was awesome. Seeing Remy in his PJ's? Not so much :p

Dude, I've got at least two mugshots of steve/Asshandler without his shirt on. My pajamas are tame in comparison. :p

It was great playing with you guys; one thing that became obvious towards the end is unless you're playing with someone who you know will read the challenge info and do them, everyone needs a mic. EVERYONE.

And I hope that 25 mile race gave you a chance to see some of the areas around the city...

Remy said:
Dude, I've got at least two mugshots of steve/Asshandler without his shirt on. My pajamas are tame in comparison. :p

It was great playing with you guys; one thing that became obvious towards the end is unless you're playing with someone who you know will read the challenge info and do them, everyone needs a mic. EVERYONE.

And I hope that 25 mile race gave you a chance to see some of the areas around the city...
Yeah, I got one with a shirtless steve too, yours was tame in comparison . I missed that 25 mile race. Must have been brutal.:lol
Everyone really does need a headset and camera for maximum enjoyment.

Captain N

Dot50Cal said:
If anyone wants to coordinate some stunt stuff I can lend my HD recording capabilities. (PS3 only, sorry!). Might end up on Gamersyde or something :lol

I'd love to do something like that..Add me on PSN and I'll accept it tomorrow morning or so.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Shepherd said:

And when you are 50 you can have a bald spot, pony tail and red sports car. Play games to have fun not compensate for other areas of your life :D

Hell yeah, bob. I have to jump on now just to check some network changes I made but I can't play. I'll look out for you tomorrow.

I'm wondering if this update fixes my issues, as they only occur in BO:p. Every few games I get kicked, and it tells me to check my net settings.

Meh, only played for about an hour but I don't really like this so far. Navigating is a chore; I feel like I'm trying to drive at top Burnout speeds but while having to keep one eye on the map at all times. Call me old-fashioned but I don't buy the Burnout games to navigate - all I want to do is DRIVE REALLY FAST.

Maybe it'll improve after I've learned the city a little bit. Right now it all just feels a bit... aimless.

And what's with having to retake my license photo after every successful race/event? That's already getting to be a pain.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
DeadGzuz said:
And when you are 50 you can have a bald spot, pony tail and red sports car. Play games to have fun not compensate for other areas of your life :D

Why do you care what someone else thinks is fun? You need to rethink your priorities.

Shepherd said:
Getting the 360 version because I prefer the 360 controller and I want custom soundtracks.
Fixed for truthfulity and prosperness. No custom soundtracks was the dealbreaker for me. PS3 controller isn't bad, but shitty music is.

Mrbob

Don't know what all the issues people have with paradise, but this is my first burnout and I'm lovin it.

Open world design ftw. So much fun online. This game is really built for online it seems.

Gary Whitta said:
Meh, only played for about an hour but I don't really like this so far. Navigating is a chore; I feel like I'm trying to drive at top Burnout speeds but while having to keep one eye on the map at all times. Call me old-fashioned but I don't buy the Burnout games to navigate - all I want to do is DRIVE REALLY FAST.

Maybe it'll improve after I've learned the city a little bit. Right now it all just feels a bit... aimless.

And what's with having to retake my license photo after every successful race/event? That's already getting to be a pain.

I'm probably coming close to 3 hours in and still not getting the hang of it. I really don't like the navigating part. I like how they tried to give you clues with the street signs flashing and coming together but I have had that cause me more trouble. I've had the game tell me to turn down a road that is in the opposite direction of the goal MULTIPLE times. Also, the timing of the signs coming together is perfect for some turns but not for others; street signs will come together indicating you need to turn now only to actually turn and hit a wall.

I just feel like I'm spending 25-50% of my time just driving around looking for a traffic light (there are looong areas without any) while in the old Burnout games I spent 100% of my time racing and crashing.

And I reeeeally miss a dedicated Crash mode. One of the best things about Burnout since the very first game and they took it out. For fuck's sake.

Always loved the Burnout games but never actually owned one. Played a bunch of Burnout 2 and 3 at friend's places though. Checked out the demo, and I was a bit let down after all the hype but I could see the potential. After checking the GAF thread, I decided to bite the bullet and pick it up.

Very glad I did. Only played for two hours or so, but I'm having a blast just doing single player things. I don't know why but I am hooked on the mountain range area. When I first found the train trestle short cut my jaw was on the floor. It was such an unexpected and extremely cool short cut. Everything up to that had been down an alley or some such.

Races are fun, and having the compass points as the end destination has helped. Even in my two hours of play once we get close to an end point I'm semi familiar with I can pull of some crazy short cuts and beat the competition there by miles. (Again, the train trestle short cut took like a minute off my run time into the mountains. Yay for Windmill end point.)

I do wish I was able to find more of the Burning Route events as the one I was in seemed extremely cool. And the Marked Man events are just nuts. So are the take down events, (forgot exactly what they are called.) as I've just gotten an SUV type vehicle and I'm like a tank out there on the streets.

To the poster who said they felt those particular events (take downs) were anticlimatic, I initially felt the same way. However, I shortly realized that even if you miss the initial pack of racers if you keep going they'll pop up again. This can lead to some CRAZY scenes as I lead a group into that very same train trestle (can you tell I love that short cut) and chaos just ensued. I ended that even with 21 takedowns. (And I only needed 5.)

One more random thing, I am loving the cars you need to take down outside of the events. I chased one all the way from the city to the mountains. Kept clipping things at weird angles and wrecking but it was extremely satisfying and rewarding to finally bring that bastard down. (And then promptly take that same vehicle out for a spin.)

Really loving the game so far... Don't let the demo scare you off to much.. once you have the whole city in front of you there is always something to do. Events, Gates, Billboards, Super Jumps... there is always something just around the corner.

Top Bottom