• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

crispyben

Maggot9 said:
Just picked up the base version of this on PSN for 20$ last night. having fun so far.

i just wish i could have seen a before and after of this game, since i'm already playing it with all of the updates installed at once. night driving is cool. when do i get to ride a bike?
AS soon as you want to I think, just enter a junkyard and select Burnout Bikes... Youy may have to complete a few events in a car before they unlock though, and I advise you to get the Set 10 Time Road Rules trophy in a car first, as it seems setting your tenth overall on a bike prevents you from getting it... Have fun, and don't worry about the way it was before, overall the changes make for a better experience !

web01

Its pretty sad them charging for game modes especially when so many other companses give them away for free.

Charging just for the car skins would be more resonable.

Shurs

web01 said:
Its pretty sad them charging for game modes especially when so many other companses give them away for free.

Charging just for the car skins would be more resonable.

Sarcasm? The game came out over a year ago, and already had multiple free updates which added modes and vehicles.

web01

Shurs said:
Sarcasm? The game came out over a year ago, and already had multiple free updates which added modes and vehicles.

Not at all other games have plenty of updates too doesnt mean they start charging for gamemodes.

Maggot9

Banned
So every time you upgrade your license, all of the events you did under the previous license open up again? Is there a way to tell which events/races you've already completed?

Returners

Maggot9 said:
So every time you upgrade your license, all of the events you did under the previous license open up again? Is there a way to tell which events/races you've already completed?

Yes.

For events you've completed there will be check mark on the top left of the event icon.

crispyben

Maggot9 said:
No, you need to remember if you don't want to do them again...

nli10

Seems a waste to DL 1.7 now so am playing Ultimate until the update appears for 1.8 so I can use the newer stuff!

Decent game - only 100 gamer points in. Found the restart event eventually, still haven't found a 2nd Junkyard though :lol

Of course, the whole thing takes place in the entirety of Paradise City, which means that you'll be driving every which way in order to both pick up the gold (which is nicely highlighted on your map) and get it back to your scoring spot. What makes things a little tricky, however, is that gold isn't light, so if you're carrying the loot, your car runs more slowly than normal, practically requiring that your team works together to form a nice blockade for the carrier.

Takedowns are indeed a bit part of this, and you'll be using them to snatch the gold from the carrier or to stop your opponents from getting to your teammate with the stash. If you nail a Takedown on someone with the gold, you'll gain possession of it. Should you crash on your own, the gold will be up for grabs in the middle of the street.

Options for the mode are aplenty as you can enable or disable traffic and boost and specify what cars people choose to play with. As no Burnout add-on would be complete without new vehicles to drive, you'll find a huge set of police cars at your disposal. These things run the gamut from baseline rides to supercars to SUVs to hot rods, so you won't have a hard time picking something that you like. And of course, the siren is enabled for all of them, which you can trigger by clicking down on the left analog stick.

A lot of the excitement that I got with my time in Cops & Robbers is pretty much identical to what you'll get with classic games of capture the flag. If you have the gold and are making a dash for the drop-off spot, you get that feeling of the enemy breathing down your neck and it's just a matter of distance versus time, you being able to make it to the scoring zone before the enemy gets to you and takes you out.

burnout-paradise-20090429034438269.jpg

burnout-paradise-20090429034441941.jpg

burnout-paradise-20090429034445472.jpg

burnout-paradise-20090429034448800.jpg

burnout-paradise-20090429034452987.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/978/978008p1.html

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Im on the fence right now whether or not to get Cops & Robbers cause Im not that big into the online mode, I dabble now and again but nothing serious, though I this mode could be interesting.

I am really not happy that C&R doesnt allow for an option to have the cops roam the single player game for some chase down fun or add the gold collecting to it with a new race event. I guess Ill wait and see how the impressions go, cause I really like some of the police cars and Criterion probably deserves more of my $$ for making this fantastic game.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Heh, yup. Patch 1.8. 926.4 Megs.

So much for skins, eh?

;D

That sounds like a cumulative update. That's not the PS3 version, is it? That would only be understandable if they silently included Big Surf island in there as well.

Philanthropist said:
That sounds like a cumulative update. That's not the PS3 version, is it? That would only be understandable if they silently included Big Surf island in there as well.

Well, there was already one that was required to be downloaded at the beginning of the month (this is 360) but now that you mention it, I think they do replace each other.

My bad!

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, there was already one that was required to be downloaded at the beginning of the month (this is 360) but now that you mention it, I think they do replace each other.

My bad!
Remember to delete all previous versions if you are on 360!

Just played a 3 round game of Cops & Robbers. Really fun with strangers, I expect it to be an all out fucking blast with actual friends. Gold is very heavy/slowing, and no one (at least no cops, but I'm almost positive robbers as well) has boost. And yeah, knowing the shortcuts is a great way to throw someone off the gold trail. And amazingly fun mode.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Remember to delete all previous versions if you are on 360!

Yeah, I just realized that it never deleted the old ones.

Willeth

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, 360 only got three measly new Achievements. Already got two of them.
Oh, really? What are they? I imagine they're trying to save the gamerscore quota for the island, maybe?

Willeth said:
Oh, really? What are they? I imagine they're trying to save the gamerscore quota for the island, maybe?

Deliver the gold yourself, Be On A Winning Cop Team, Be On A Winning Robber Team.

And probably, but the 360 tends to be the "second class citizen" of the two versions, mainly because of 360 requirements. Fewer achievements, no downloadable map that can tell you where your missing gates and billboards are. Sad, really. I could really use a map like that.

EktorPR

BenjaminBirdie said:
Deliver the gold yourself, Be On A Winning Cop Team, Be On A Winning Robber Team.

And probably, but the 360 tends to be the "second class citizen" of the two versions, mainly because of 360 requirements. Fewer achievements, no downloadable map that can tell you where your missing gates and billboards are. Sad, really. I could really use a map like that.

That, and Criterion's overall preference for the PS3 platform (lead version was PS3).

crispyben

CrashTV 32 shows gameplay footage, reveals that all Robbers drive red cars, Cop cars have several sirens you can cycle through, PCPD HQ is always at the Country Club and Robbers Hideout is always at the Docks. No boost whatsoever.

Also, new C&R pics. Were any of these taken on Big Surf Island? Check it out...

Cops_01.png
Cops_02.png
Cops_03.png

Cops_04.png
Cops_05.png
Cops_06.png

Cops_07.png
Cops_08.png
Cops_09.png

Cops_010.png
Cops_011.png
Cops_012.png

Cops_013.png
Cops_014.png
Cops_015.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what is in the C&R pack exactly? I see new car skins. And a new game mode obviously. Is there a trailer or a description somewhere?

Maggot9 said:
Is there no way to input the 5 car codes in the PSN version?

There is no way to even put them in for the retail release anymore. I think the Bike update patch got rid of it. Bummer, indeed.

At least for the Blu-Ray version you can uninstall the update, put in the codes, then re-update. Not sure if that works on the download (doubt it).

Anyway, I'll be buying this cops n' robbers pack today, looks fun

Anyone using the PC version having problems connecting to the servers? For me it says the servers are down. I am using the Steam version.

EDIT: If you are unable to log into the server on the PC version do any of you have issues having access to all of the DLC you have purchased? The only content showing up for me is the regular and bikes. I have purchased all content but its not showing up. Any ideas?

crispyben

AndyD said:
So what is in the C&R pack exactly? I see new car skins. And a new game mode obviously. Is there a trailer or a description somewhere?
Here is the trailer. I just did a few rounds, obtained all trophies, and it's pretty fun. I guess it's even better in a room with just friends... The host can control the number of rounds (1-3-5), stop the traffic, force the same car for everybody, shuffle the teams. Gold appears in the same spots all the time, which makes the mode a Downtown affair mostly. Right now, there's a lot of Watson Roadster action since there's a trophy tied to it :D The cop liveries are available offline, and you can change the base color underneath them, which looks rather strange when going with pink or yellow :lol

Baron

I think I'm going to pass on the cops n robbers pack. I too feel burned by the Party Pack, which was a huge waste of money IMO. I am really waiting for the Island to drop. And considering CnR is $10, the island will totally be $20...or at the very least $14.99.

When is the island supposed to be released? I thought it was supposed to be May.

Pizza Luigi said:
Unable to connect to Paradise Servers...

WTF? I want to play C&R!! Anyone else with this problem??
Did you download the 1.8 update?

painful fart said:
Is the Police&Robbers pack worth the money?

The Party pack was utter crap and I don´t want to waste more money on crap.
Do you play any of the online modes?

Top Bottom