• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicstop

Depth of field is affected by your distance to subject and the aperture setting on the lens etc -- if that's what you mean then yes. Use this to figure out how deep you need the subject to be clear http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html That's the closest thing I can think of from what you said that could make sense...

If that's what he means, keep in mind that the farther your subject is from you, the larger your DOF range is.

tino

Banned
I'm pleased that Canon didn't go with the retro look that many other companies seem to favor.

It's going be priced at the 1000D entry DSLR slot. It's going to look like what an entry level $600 is supposed be like, i.e. a boring Toyota.

You don't like retro Camera? Not even Leica?

Radec

Same, not fond of those retro looking mirrorless.

Thank God Sony never went that route.

i9SgqaC9qWaXn.jpg

Hmmn.. looking at the sensor size in that pic, it doesn't look like APS-C though.

rough comparison:

f736V.jpg

tino

Banned
Nope. It's to the point where I would't even buy one for $200 because I dislike the look so much.

I hate the look of rangefinder cameras.

You prefer plastic slippers to metal and leather? This post is too crazy.

I am going to post some of my favorite looking classic cameras to claim myself down.

7609886046_1a9177b809_z.jpg

7609886230_902a397c60_z.jpg

7609886492_4f58ef90fd_z.jpg

7609885484_23bddbe3e9_z.jpg

7609885240_7056932c74_z.jpg

7609885374_29dc321fa9_z.jpg

7609886316_6c72a0460e_z.jpg

7609885740_298d621cce_z.jpg

7609885584_851bd4ba76_z.jpg

7609885660_5e9f23718e_z.jpg

giga

Hmmn.. looking at the sensor size in that pic, it doesn't look like APS-C though.

rough comparison:

f736V.jpg
Not sure how you can do a rough comparison when we don't know the body dimensions.

Thraktor

rough comparison:

f736V.jpg

"Retro looking" mirrorless cameras only work when they're made out of good quality materials, like Leicas are. When they're made out of cheap modern plastic they just look tacky. I'd agree that the NEX-5 and 7 are the best looking modern mirrorless cameras, though.

On Canon's camera, it's impossible to determine the size of the sensor from a photo without having anything else in the photo of known size that you can use as a reference. I think we can rule out full-frame, as the camera would be absolutely enormous, but both APS-C and the G1X sensor are possibilities. With an APS-C sensor the lens works out almost exactly as a 35mm equivalent, which would make sense.

giga

It's not that hard when you compare the mount and the screws itself.

But ofcourse it's not 100% match.
Well, we don't know the size of the mount or screws either.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the 1.5" G1 X sensor, but we really don't know yet. One thing to note is that the G1 X sensor has a 4:3 aspect ratio which is more square than Canon's APS-C. Sony's APS-C sensor is also slightly larger than Canon's.

500px-Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg.png

tino

Banned
4:3 G1X sensor would be a disappointment. Given the F/2 pancake aperture value, I am leaning toward a sensor smaller than the 1.6X DSLR sensor.

giga

I think the most important thing to come out of this is that Canon finally realized that their lens cap design sucks when used with hoods.

eosm4.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You prefer plastic slippers to metal and leather? This post is too crazy.

I am going to post some of my favorite looking classic cameras to claim myself down.

7609886046_1a9177b809_z.jpg

7609886230_902a397c60_z.jpg

7609886492_4f58ef90fd_z.jpg

7609885484_23bddbe3e9_z.jpg

7609885240_7056932c74_z.jpg

7609885374_29dc321fa9_z.jpg

7609886316_6c72a0460e_z.jpg

7609885740_298d621cce_z.jpg

7609885584_851bd4ba76_z.jpg

7609885660_5e9f23718e_z.jpg

this, seriously. The nex's are ugly. Infact most modern cameras are ugly hardened plastic material. They feel dead in your hand.
Love the look of the silver OMD, can't wait for mine to get here.
Leicas. Old rangefinders, mmm. Even my Fuji GX617 has personality.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Does anyone have a 50mm on an APS-C camera? I want to know how many people can you fit in the image and how much you can see of them? I wanted to take pictures of around 2-3 people, from the tip of their head to at least their waist

I shot for 2 years exclusively with the 50mm 1.4 on my APS-C XSI. It can work well but you do need to back up a lot.

K444WSR

Hey gaf-
Quick question, does anyone have any experience of the Panasonic g3 and how suitable it is for someone looking to step up from compacts?
My niece has been bugging me for a camera and ive got one reserved at the moment with 14-40mm lens at Argos for 349,99.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
If it has the Nikon's AF system but with a much larger sensor, it could be great. AF has always been my issue with mirrorless.

I was referring specifically to the lack of external controls. If the sensor size is APS-C that will definitely be a big selling point.

captive

Hey gaf-
Quick question, does anyone have any experience of the Panasonic g3 and how suitable it is for someone looking to step up from compacts?
My niece has been bugging me for a camera and ive got one reserved at the moment with 14-40mm lens at Argos for 349,99.

it has the same sensor thats in the OMD, its very good by all accounts.

Seach Kirk Tucks blog, he raved about it.

You've just proven my point. Modern "retro" cameras are basically the Instagram of hardware design.

ibhb02fmFBPnsk.jpg
lawls, hardly.

magicstop

Hmm, that Canon mirrorless looks like it's going to be a bit too menu driven for my taste...

Touch screen, though? If so, I'm down. Then again, I'm not down. I'm broke. 60D and some lenses cost me. It'll be f'ing years before I can get another ~$800-$1000 rig.

tino

Banned
You've just proven my point.
ibhb02fmFBPnsk.jpg

EM5 has much worse design than OM-1, which is arguable one of the best looking SLR. The proportion is all wrong. The EM5 prism is too big; has too many subtle curves that confuses the shape of the body; the finish material look cheap etc.

Modern "retro" cameras are basically the Instagram of hardware design.

What does this sentence even mean. Can you translate it into English so I can figure your point? Are you saying you don't like "retro" or you don't like EM5? If you want to say EM5 is a fail retro design, I agree with you. But that's not "retro"'s fault. I don't even know where are you going.

RuGalz

Touch screen, though? If so, I'm down. Then again, I'm not down. I'm broke. 60D and some lenses cost me. It'll be f'ing years before I can get another ~$800-$1000 rig.

I guess touch screen could help but it still means you have to take your hand away from the shutter to adjust and then shoot. Instead of having a dedicated video recording button (I'm not sure why that's so important), I would rather have a dial there even if it's not going to be that ergonomically pleasant.

After waiting for so long, right 2 months after I get a Fuji X100, Canon finally announces their Mirrorless, damn, hopefully the EF adapter will have full control of the lens.

magicstop

I guess touch screen could help but it still means you have to take your hand away from the shutter to adjust and then shoot. Instead of having a dedicated video recording button (I'm not sure why that's so important), I would rather have a dial there even if it's not going to be that ergonomically pleasant.

I'm thinking not. Index finger on shutter, thumb free to reach around behind and manipulate screen. That could be a very sleek, very comfortable setup that would never require your hand leaving the 1 position. Obviously no view finder, so you're going to be using the back screen anyway. 2 thumbs to manipulate . . . I think that could be really easy, really nice, really intuitive.

Flo_Evans

Not sure if want.

Kind of looks like a s100 + interchangeable lenses.

It seems to me the big 2 are intentionally missing the point of an interchangeable lens mirrorless camera. I can't speak for everyone but I would like a pro level camera and controls in a smaller package. Not a consumer point and shoot with interchangeable lenses.

MRORANGE

Not sure if want.

Kind of looks like a s100 + interchangeable lenses.

It seems to me the big 2 are intentionally missing the point of an interchangeable lens mirrorless camera. I can't speak for everyone but I would like a pro level camera and controls in a smaller package. Not a consumer point and shoot with interchangeable lenses.

I think they are afraid it might eat into their DSLR sales.

the new canon mirrorless looks alright looks lime the compacts from the 90's

RuGalz

I'm thinking not. Index finger on shutter, thumb free to reach around behind and manipulate screen. That could be a very sleek, very comfortable setup that would never require your hand leaving the 1 position. Obviously no view finder, so you're going to be using the back screen anyway. 2 thumbs to manipulate . . . I think that could be really easy, really nice, really intuitive.

My thumbs are too fat, inaccurate and block too much of screen estate. I usually use index fingers for touch screen, LOL

K444WSR

Hey gaf-

captive

I'm not sure if that is a rational fear... so they might sell a different kind of camera?
yea it is, as mirrorless systems are already eating into their entry level dslr sales. but as you said they are missing the boat.

Hey gaf-

i answered you above.
It would be a big step up from a compact, but not so much bigger in size.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The Canon Mirrorless looks like its going to have the same issue as the initial NEX bodies. Not enough buttons for serious shooters.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Well since we have a good photo of the Canon mirrorless with the flash hotshoe showing + sensor, you can make a pretty accurate comparison to their DSLRs. Just roughing it by eye, it looks to be APS-C. The G1X sensor is almost APS-C, but more square than this mirrorless looks to be. If I had Photoshop installed on the computer I'm using right now I'd try to mockup a comparison.

I'm also a little concerned about the lack of buttons. More compact than I was expecting, though.

it has the same sensor thats in the OMD, its very good by all accounts.

Seach Kirk Tucks blog, he raved about it.

lawls, hardly.

It's not the same sensor; the EM5 has a Sony-fabricated sensor.

And you people dissing the retro-designed cameras in favor of the dated, black blobs that are "modern" dslrs are straight crazy.

Flo_Evans

It's not the same sensor; the EM5 has a Sony-fabricated sensor.

And you people dissing the retro-designed cameras in favor of the dated, black blobs that are "modern" dslrs are straight crazy.

I dunno, there is something sexy about that D800 ;)

I think one of the things the retro designs get right though is control surfaces. Knurled knobs and metal levers are fucking awesome to use. Plastic shitty multi-function scroll wheels and tiny buttons not so much.

Flo_Evans

They should follow the Apple credo: "If someone is going to cannibalize our sales, we want it to be us."

exactly.

I dunno, maybe there is some greater marketing strategy at work. Like if you sell someone an entry level DSLR, it will be easier for them to upgrade to a pro body? Lock them into the lenses?

Thats what I don't really get about making them with new mounts. The whole appeal to me of a mirrorless nikon/canon is using my existing lenses with a smaller body. Not buying into a whole new system.

sneaky77

the new canon is different lenses.. oh screw that noise. There goes my interest on it, not that it was very high but if I can get the body and slap that 40mm pancake it would be a good walk around cam.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
the new canon is different lenses.. oh screw that noise. There goes my interest on it, not that it was very high but if I can get the body and slap that 40mm pancake it would be a good walk around cam.
You should probably wait for the actual announcement on Monday.

RuGalz

I dunno, maybe there is some greater marketing strategy at work. Like if you sell someone an entry level DSLR, it will be easier for them to upgrade to a pro body? Lock them into the lenses?

Thats what I don't really get about making them with new mounts. The whole appeal to me of a mirrorless nikon/canon is using my existing lenses with a smaller body. Not buying into a whole new system.

But using the same mount would add bulk to the system, granted, in Canon's case they have slight advantage... Also, lens designed for PDAF don't seem to work as well as something designed specifically for CDAF, so AF speed may be compromised. These issues are all very evident with Pentax's K-01. So people will just be disappointed by the camera when they inevitably compare it to other mirrorless bodies designed from ground up. Even though K-01 takes best images of the class, the compromises are a bit too big for the market to really care about it. (I'm completely ignoring K-01's physical design here which seems to be a love or hate relationship with people.) For these reasons, I don't think using a different mount is a 'bad' thing from marketing point of view.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

I'm not surprised, I was expecting either a middling release with a possible EF-S mount or a full blown new mount. Now that we see that its new the 40mm lens won't be as small when you factor in the theoretical EF Adapter for the EF-M mount. If anything I say this is good on Canon and I hope they hit this new mount hard with their own L level small profile lenses versus the EF-S that were never really distinctive over their FF counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom