• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Sounds like the hotshoe doesn't have the ability to take an EVF. Yikes.

If I were to take a guess they'll probably use the EVF as a way to differentiate from this entry level body to a higher end one with an actual built in EVF.

Think of this in the Nex3/1000d class and you will understand the lack of EVF.

800 for the pancake kit is a great price. But 300 for that kit zoom is too high IMO. Should have been 200 or lower. Looking forward to Canon's next mirrorless body that will work out the hardware limitations. Also focus speed is similar to the NEX right?

This system make the NEX system pretty hard to invest in for me. If I see a cheap 5n now, I dont want it anymore. I still want a NEX7 at decent price since its easier to use manual focus with it.

agree that this doesn't look great control-wise, though, without even a single dial. shame, because everything else about it looks very competitive.

Yeah, it's a bit odd that between this and the G1X, the fixed-lens camera has plenty of controls and the interchangeable-lens camera doesn't. Seems like it should be the other way around.

Hmm I think I will wait for a new model down the line with a View Finder and some more manual controls, still this is very tempting considering all the Canon glass I own, for now I think I will continue to be fine with my X100.

RuGalz

Hmm I guess a smaller, second body wait continues or maybe until real RX100 reviews come out. Lack of physical controls and Verge said the AF is slower than Nex kills it for me. RX100 is more pocketable and I'm not invested in Canon lenses so the advantages of this body offers in terms of image quality isn't enough to offset it.

Edit: I am guessing Canon's strategy is to introduce a very entry level of the camera with new mount in order to start building lens library for it. Eventually they will introduce enthusiast level ones when there are good number of lenses available.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Even though this body is a bit lacklustre, it makes me seriously think about switching from my g3 back to canon. I'd probably start with a 650d and wait out the inevitable higher end mirrorless body in a years time.

M43 (and my nex before that) just frustrate me on lack of lenses. With the canon that's a non issue, I know I can use a 85mm 1.8, or 100-400IS, or any of the tamron/sigma ef range.

Tbh I might have to reconsider mirrorless anyway. My g3 is hardly pocketable, the kit lenses still stick out more than i'd like too unless you go for pancake primes, and the lengths of those are just too short for my preference

VNZ

I really hope I will be able to complement my big Canon gear with a future EF-M body for wide angle street photography. If the 22mm f/2 delivers that's pretty much perfect as a go-to lens for me on that kind of camera. I might even get around with the limited physical controls of the "EOS M" if it's quick enough use the touch controls. Unfortunately the menus didn't look very cleverly designed from what I gathered from the small amount of footage I watched.

Basically, what I'd like is a "Quick Controls" screen, broken up into a preview/histogram area and 3-4 swipe:able zones for exposure compensation, aperture, shutter time and iso (depending on mode). If I need to first select what you want to change, then swipe, then commit the change, the designers have lost me.

EF-M looks much harder to control quickly than a NEX (post-firmware upgrade, all NEXes are quite customizable). The controls look closer to an E-PM1 or GF5. I hate those rinkydink ring dials. The only time they've been usable for me is on the NEX. It's a shame, because I like the EF-M's overall body design and the 22mm prime. It's like we finally have a digital Canonet:

fzGSR.jpg

(Actually, just kidding: that crown was taken by the GF1+20mm f/1.7.)

Manual/physical controls seem to be the first thing that gets removed when a camera manufacturer decides to market a camera at downmarket users. Since Canon wants to protect their DSLR lines, I can see this line relying on a touchscreen interface for as long as possible.

Thraktor

lol

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

NEX and m43 adapter with full electronic control on EOS/EF lenses.

Ken Rockwell said:
By “serious,” I mean professional grade. Sony, Samsung, Olympus, Panasonic and other third-tier brands offer lots of mirrorless cameras, but then aren’t pro grade; they are just consumer electronics products and usually only with smaller 4/3 sensors (or smaller) and/or lens mounts often with few advanced lenses available

Arguably the NEX-7 is the only pro-grade mirrorless camera, it's just stuck with a consumer-grade selection of lenses. Conversely, the EOS-M is a consumer-grade camera with a pro-grade selection of lenses.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
With the new olympus 75mm 1.8 and that expensive panasonic zoom I'd say that m43 is starting to get pro grade lenses too.

Even then there's the Oly 12mm, 45mm and the Pana 25mm.

Forsete

Gold Member
Ken Rockwell sounds just like those 70+ old photoclub guys which think Canon and Nikon still are the only serious manufacturers of photography equipment.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Think of this in the Nex3/1000d class and you will understand the lack of EVF.

800 for the pancake kit is a great price. But 300 for that kit zoom is too high IMO. Should have been 200 or lower. Looking forward to Canon's next mirrorless body that will work out the hardware limitations. Also focus speed is similar to the NEX right?.

It's not lol. This shit is cheaper to manufacture than the 650d it shares sensor with.

Both Canon and Nikon priced mirror less to make a killing. Working so far for Nikon...

tino

Banned
It's not lol. This shit is cheaper to manufacture than the 650d it shares sensor with.

Both Canon and Nikon priced mirror less to make a killing. Working so far for Nikon...

Its cheap for a 35mm equivalent f/2 lens. We don't know the image quality of the 22/2 yet.

mrkgoo

eos_m__22_of_22__gallery_post.jpg

eos_m_2__3_of_14__medium.jpg

Yeah, I know people say it's stupid, and while it does look unwieldy, it's an option not a requirement, and as a photographer, I always consider myself as a sort of inventive type...I with big lenses, I'll just cradle more on the lens than the body.

I love the idea of a point and shoot camera with slr quality that can double as spare body if needed.

mrkgoo

Hopefully someone comes out with a neck strack that connects straight to the EF to EF-M mount haha

Lol, i didn't think of that!

I hardly ever use a neck strap as an actual neck strap... I guess I don,t go out as much any more. It's a way of me holding the camera, a shoulder strap, as it were.

There is that strap mount that connects to the tripod mount...could use that.

rozay

Banned
What's a good way to test if a lens has front-focus or back-focusing issues when paired with my camera's autofocus system? I would imagine all lenses have some small degree of it when tested, but I seem to be having an issue when focusing on objects at further distances.

RuGalz

What's a good way to test if a lens has front-focus or back-focusing issues when paired with my camera's autofocus system? I would imagine all lenses have some small degree of it when tested, but I seem to be having an issue when focusing on objects at further distances.

This one works pretty well for me. http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Edit: since you mentioned objects at further distances, it could also be that the focusing area is larger than the object and is focusing on something else instead... I'd make sure that's not the case before making adjustments.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Its cheap for a 35mm equivalent f/2 lens. We don't know the image quality of the 22/2 yet.

Talking about the camera... mirrorless doesn't need pentaprism, mirror assembly, autofocus module... Nikon has made a kiling with the J1. Obviously Canon wants to do the same ;D

About the lense... if you follow the m43 world, huge apertures are common.

If it feels right and you like it just buy it, does it stop people from purchasing apple's products? Just noting that Canon's mirrorless is priced to rack in cash.

tino

Banned
Talking about the camera... mirrorless doesn't need pentaprism, mirror assembly, autofocus module... Nikon has made a kiling with the J1. Obviously Canon wants to do the same ;D

Canon XXXD bodies has always been slightly overpriced.

About the lense... if you follow the m43 world, huge apertures are common.

I wasn't thinking about m3/4. I was thinking the Sigma 19mm and Nikon 35mm/1.8. But if you want to talk m4/3, the 20mm 1.7 is $360 in the usual places.

If it feels right and you like it just buy it, does it stop people from purchasing apple's products? Just noting that Canon's mirrorless is priced to rack in cash.

The 22/2 MFSP is $249. I stand by my opinion that is cheap in 2012. I am not planning to buy now.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I wasn't thinking about m3/4. I was thinking the Sigma 19mm and Nikon 35mm/1.8. But if you want to talk m4/3, the 20mm 1.7 is $360 in the usual places.

The 22/2 MFSP is $249. I stand by my opinion that is cheap in 2012. I am not planning to buy now.

Except this range of lenses can often be found bundled with the camera for reallly cheap.

Case in point, the 14mm 2.5 has been been thrown away for 100$ in bundles.

magicstop

Ken's site is 50% trolling 50% wisdom and 100% marketing.

That's good to know. I am new to the world of dSLR's and lenses, and his site was one that I frequented for reviews. I guess I don't know how to smell out his BS at the moment. I'll just take him with a grain of salt, I suppose.

That's good to know. I am new to the world of dSLR's and lenses, and his site was one that I frequented for reviews. I guess I don't know how to smell out his BS at the moment. I'll just take him with a grain of salt, I suppose.

I find this to be the best fully detailed reviews for lenses and bodies. I'm not sure what anyone else thinks but the info is phenomenal and informative:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

You obviously have not read what he says about Fujifilm.

Yeah, he's so contradictory it's hilarious.

From the X-Pro1 review:

The X-Pro1 is probably the best camera ever introduced for actual photographers, as opposed to computer hobbyists or vidiots, in years. The Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark III are simply more of the same old thing, while the X-Pro1 is uniquely excellent.

From the EOS-M announcement:

The Fuji X-Pro1 is the next best thing to the EOS M, but again limited by too few lenses and a weird custom mount and only so-so color rendition. It's a great start, but lacks Canon's color savvy and system breadth. The limited lens selection is OK since it has everything I need, but the sloppy colors are almost as bad as the LEICA M9's.

I'm convinced he employs ghost writers, especially in the case of his writeups of Leica gear (German-isms everywhere).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Wait, Nikon 1 sold pretty well?

Yep, speciallly in the good 'ol US of A.

He's got a section called "how to take better photographs" that has some of the best material on the site. His gear reviews are so so to be honest... but afterall once you have your camera, you shouldn't read camera reviews ;D

This is something I like about him, he's got a GO SHOOT SHOOT GO SHOOT MORE attitude that I like. This hobby could use a little less gearlust if you get my drift. Specially on the internet: heck, even on NeoGAF - our camera equipment megathread is alive and well, while our monthly photo competition has withered and died.

And I do agree with him that RAW is a waste of time, specially for novices. New guys should be spending more time shooting and polishing their craft rather than looking at pixels on a computer.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah, he's so contradictory it's hilarious.

From the X-Pro1 review:

From the EOS-M announcement:

I'm convinced he employs ghost writers, especially in the case of his writeups of Leica gear (German-isms everywhere).

Seriously the thing I hate about him is how everything is the best! He only says negative things about a few products but it seems he's always proclaiming this new shit is the best shit this company has ever put out.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Stupid question time.

I'm basically a complete novice to taking DSLR photos, even though I've had my Sony a33 for a year. I've been thinking of getting a cheap 70-300mm telezoom lens, and I've been looking at a Sigma lens since I already have a Sigma 18-200mm lens I'm happy with, but I've also been looking at a Tamron lens. I'm halfway leaning towards the Tamron lens since it includes a macro function, but reviews I've read of the Tamron lens are mixed. Which one would cameraGAF recommend? I'd like a pure macro lens too sometime, but lenses for Sony DSLRs are fucking expensive (like everything else) here in Norway :|

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Stupid question time.

I'm basically a complete novice to taking DSLR photos, even though I've had my Sony a33 for a year. I've been thinking of getting a cheap 70-300mm telezoom lens, and I've been looking at a Sigma lens since I already have a Sigma 18-200mm lens I'm happy with, but I've also been looking at a Tamron lens. I'm halfway leaning towards the Tamron lens since it includes a macro function, but reviews I've read of the Tamron lens are mixed. Which one would cameraGAF recommend? I'd like a pure macro lens too sometime, but lenses for Sony DSLRs are fucking expensive (like everything else) here in Norway :|

I think it's pretty redundant... do you *need* the extra reach?

This hobby could use a little less gearlust if you get my drift. Specially on the internet: heck, even on NeoGAF - our camera equipment megathread is alive and well, while our monthly photo competition has withered and died.

I'm all for a lack of gearlust, but I've been pursuing my own projects instead posting to competition threads. The idea of taking pictures to match somebody else's theme has never been too interesting to me (it always seemed an awful lot like work).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I think it's pretty redundant... do you *need* the extra reach?

I don't really need the extra reach, I'd just like to have a lens that allows me to zoom in closer when I'm climbing around the mountainside taking pics of mountains or buildings off in the distance (plus I'd be interested in toying around with the macro function on the Tamron lens, provided said lens is any good). And neither of those lenses would really break my bank, I can get them both for about 990 Norwegian kroner ($163] per lens.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Apparently its using a 1.6x sensor (used in their Rebel bodies) so it wouldn't be considered a 4/3rd camera. And it'll support all EOS lenses via an EF to EF-M adapter.

is it a native adapter? I mean will I get autofocus and stuff?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't really need the extra reach, I'd just like to have a lens that allows me to zoom in closer when I'm climbing around the mountainside taking pics of mountains or buildings off in the distance (plus I'd be interested in toying around with the macro function on the Tamron lens, provided said lens is any good). And neither of those lenses would really break my bank, I can get them both for about 990 Norwegian kroner ($163] per lens.

So go ahead :)

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So how do people here with glasses take photos through their viewfinder? I feel like I'm having some trouble seeing the corners when I'm trying to frame a shot. Is it just a matter of getting used to it or something? I thought about picking up an extension but I read that they reduce magnification.

mrkgoo

which is a better option: Canon T2i with 18-55m IS + 55-250mm IS lens for travel

OR

Canon T2i with 18-135mm IS lens for travel

I'm not sure about the quality of the 18-135 (you mean the new one with STM?), but I would go for the 18-135 for travel. Wide range zooms are great for on the go.

I know interchangeable lens systems IS the whole point - to maximise quality at all focal lengths, but if it isn't a pain in the butt to change when you're out and about. So for travel, I say go for versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom