• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
which is a better option: Canon T2i with 18-55m IS + 55-250mm IS lens for travel

OR

Canon T2i with 18-135mm IS lens for travel

Really depends on whether you need the extra reach that the 55-250 gives you, and whether you really want to lug an 18-135 everywhere with you. I find it the 55-250 very useful for wildlife and for shooting street scenes from the top of double-decker buses, but to be quite honest I probably wouldn't take it travelling with me, because those aren't things I shoot all that often.

When out and about I usually have either the 18-55 or the 50mm on camera. They're relatively unobtrusive lenses. Probably more so than the 18-135.

Lumix

Lumix, you are so awesome.
Makes me wish I still had my 85mm. Loved that thing.
Still, I will find a use for the 40mm. It has a much shorter mfd and wider angle means it makes for a nice indoor lens for general use. The only thin that would possibly make it more awesome is an f/2.0 aperture.

Thanks. I have agree with you, the 85mm f/1.8 is quickly becoming a favorite lens of mine.
I now always have the 40 & 85 in the bag, and hope to add the 135L to complete my prime setup.

Thank you! That was super nice of you, Lumix, to go through all that work and trouble. I appreciate that, for sure. I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 40mm. The 85 is beautiful, but I think for low light, indoor shooting, the 40mm is the best cost efficient option out there right now (I'm on APS-C). It will help me capture the shots that my manual-only SMC Tak 50 miss.

No problem.
As for the 40mm, get it. Quiet, unobtrusive, with quick AF (but not as fast as USM).
Also not really any distortion, a solid build, it just seems like one of the best deals from Canon in a while.
I am most likely going to give the 50mm f/1.8 II to my younger sister, whom of which is getting back into photography.

So how do people here with glasses take photos through their viewfinder? I feel like I'm having some trouble seeing the corners when I'm trying to frame a shot. Is it just a matter of getting used to it or something? I thought about picking up an extension but I read that they reduce magnification.

Four-eyed person here as well.

I don't really think the eyepiece extenders are going to help as much. I mainly bought to keep my nose from touching the rear LCD screen.
I used a EP-EX15 for my 60D at the Long Beach GP for a bit, but the magnifier distortion at the corners though the viewfinder was bothering me. It almost felt like having a fisheye lens.
I ended up removing the magnifying glass in the extender. But now have some difficulty seeing the corners with it removed.

I guess try it out to see if you can adjust to it.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I don't really think the eyepiece extenders are going to help as much. I mainly bought to keep my nose from touching the rear LCD screen.
I used a EP-EX15 for my 60D at the Long Beach GP for a bit, but the magnifier distortion at the corners though the viewfinder was bothering me. It almost felt like having a fisheye lens.
I ended up removing the magnifying glass in the extender. But now have some difficulty seeing the corners with it removed.

I guess try it out to see if you can adjust to it.

Yeah, the EP-EX15 was the one I was looking at until I started reading up on it. Are the corners that hard to see because that's kind of the problem I'm having with regular viewfinder.

Lumix

If you keep the distorted magnifier in the EP-EX15 extender you should have no problem seeing the corners.
Just avoid getting a knockoff. The quality of one that I purchased was pretty bad.
Also, make sure you get the correct extender.
The EP-EX15 (Large) is for the XXD series, and 5D series.
The EP-EX15 II (Small) is for the XXXD / Rebel series eyepieces.

The 1D series, 5D Mark III, and 7D share a much wider eyepiece extender.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I looked up some reviews for the Tamron and Sigma lenses I asked about, and for the time being I think I'll just get the Tamron lens to play around with, and later on get a pure macro lens.

Anyway, I was wondering about external flashes/wireless TTL. From what I could gather, wireless TTL lets me use an external flash without the flash being attached to the camera, so I can put said external flash anywhere, and the camera will remotely activate the external flash when taking photos. I've looked at the Sigma EF-610 DG Super, but I just need to be 100% sure I've gotten the hang of how TTL works, and whether my a33 supports wireless TTL without having to buy any sort of transmitter (from what I could gather by googling and reading in the camera's flash menu it should support wireless TTL just fine)? Thanks in advance.

Edit: NVM, checked the compatability table on Sigma's website and the a33 supports wireless TTL, although there was this note: '*3: Built-in flash cannot be used. Please set your Master unit to Manual Flash mode.'

So I can't use both the built-in flash and the external flash at the same time when using wireless TTL, I have to set the external flash as master unit and then set it to manual flash mode? I also looked at the Metz 44 AF-1, and it seems to support wireless TTL, and that I can use it as a slave with the built-in flash as the master? Which one of those two flashes would you recommend?

Jangaroo

If you keep the distorted magnifier in the EP-EX15 extender you should have no problem seeing the corners.
Just avoid getting a knockoff. The quality of one that I purchased was pretty bad.
Also, make sure you get the correct extender.
The EP-EX15 (Large) is for the XXD series, and 5D series.
The EP-EX15 II (Small) is for the XXXD / Rebel series eyepieces.

The 1D series, 5D Mark III, and 7D share a much wider eyepiece extender.

Awesome, I really appreciate it. Gonna hop on Amazon on scope it out. Thanks again.

Can anyone point me to a website that could show me the basics of off camera flash? I feel like its time for me to get a flash or two but I don't really know how they work. For example, I was watching youtube and saw an off flash that only worked when another flash of light hit it?

here's my review of the sony rx100.

spoiler: i really like it! pretty much the first digital compact i've considered truly usable. where previously i'd take my NEX anywhere i took a bag, i can now take the RX100 anywhere i take pockets and still end up with great pictures. it's a hard sell as someone's only camera considering the price, but for anyone considering a smaller second option it's almost perfect.

Radec

spoiler: i really like it! pretty much the first digital compact i've considered truly usable. where previously i'd take my NEX anywhere i took a bag, i can now take the RX100 anywhere i take pockets and still end up with great pictures. it's a hard sell as someone's only camera considering the price, but for anyone considering a smaller second option it's almost perfect.

Thanks man, but about the video section, almost all reviews that I've read about the video quality are really positive about it though.

looks like Sony has another winner here.

tino

Banned

Nice review. A few operation questions if I may.

The power button seem to be small. Is it easy to pull and camera out of the picket and turn it on at the same time? Is it easy to touch and change mode wheel by accident?

Also, does it keep all the manual settings if you turn it off and turn it back on? DP1 is the only "P&S" I have used that keep all the manual settings after I turn it off. I am talking about EV compensation, flash comp, manual focus, blanketing etc.

Thanks.

Plasmid

I'm kinda confused on my T2i.

Whenever i switch the mode so that i can see through the viewfinder (between the LED screen and the viewfinder), it always pauses when i hit the shutter button, i have to click it again to take the photo (again this is only with the viewfinder). This is on manual mode.

Is this normal?

e:

Got it, it had to do with magic lantern.

That's you? I second the thought about your comment on video quality. Every other review I've read, including the one on EOSHD, has gone crazy for the video quality.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Hi All,

Im in the market for a DSLR... an amateur who hopes to take it professional... i've been doing a lot of research and most points lead to Nikon (all the professional photographers I spoke to said Nikon)..specifically between the D5100 and D7000... I have many questions though..

what is the general consensus on Nikon? Seems most here prefer Cannon..
if i go with Nikon, should I stay with the D5100 or is the D7000 that much better (i would go essentially over budget).. is the Auto focus motor that important considering I do not own any lens? Will this seriously limit the type of lens I could get?

any general advice for an amateur who wants to go professional? thanks!

Hi All,

Im in the market for a DSLR... an amateur who hopes to take it professional... i've been doing a lot of research and most points lead to Nikon (all the professional photographers I spoke to said Nikon)..specifically between the D5100 and D7000... I have many questions though..

if i go with Nikon, should I stay with the D5100 or is the D7000 that much better (i would go essentially over budget).. is the Auto focus motor that important considering I do not own any lens? Will this seriously limit the type of lens I could get?

You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon, I would say what's important is go try out some cameras and feel which one is more comfortable in your hands. A lot of people just tend to stick to one or another after they've chosen it.

golem

If all your friends and professional contacts use Nikon, you should probably just get Nikon as well. That way you can utilize their knowledge (and maybe even equipment) of the system. Cant go wrong either way however.

What kind of professional photography do you want to do?

Schattenjagger, you are looking at fine cameras. (I'm a Nikon shooter my self). The 3rd option would be going with the Canon 60D, which I feel fits between the D5100 and D7000 Nikon cams.

I did get to use a 60D, and I would have to say I kinda liked it. It helped that it had a nice fast focusing lens (which is something I don't have, lol).

I think the best thing you could do is go Nikon
Just kidding!

You want to consider all the options and features you need/want and get the camera and lenses that can fill those requirements.

But I will say that I really like Nikon's 55-200mm VR, 50mm F/1.8 (previous version which requires in-camera focus motor and new G version), & 35mm F/1.8G lenses far more than the Canon options.

Perhaps you could tell us what you want kind of photos you want to take with it?

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Schattenjagger, you are looking at fine cameras. (I'm a Nikon shooter my self). The 3rd option would be going with the Canon 60D, which I feel fits between the D5100 and D7000 Nikon cams.

I did get to use a 60D, and I would have to say I kinda liked it. It helped that it had a nice fast focusing lens (which is something I don't have, lol).

I think the best thing you could do is go Nikon
Just kidding!

You want to consider all the options and features you need/want and get the camera and lenses that can fill those requirements.

But I will say that I really like Nikon's 55-200mm VR, 50mm F/1.8 (previous version which requires in-camera focus motor and new G version), & 35mm F/1.8G lenses far more than the Canon options.

Perhaps you could tell us what you want kind of photos you want to take with it?

well i would first be starting out so i think all types of pictures are on the table.. once i feel comfortable and confident, i would like to get into wedding photography...i was really leaning towards the D5100 but the only sticking point for me is the auto focus motor .. i dont want that to limit me in the future..
also.. how important is focus points (11 vs 39)?? should it matter for a beginner?
thanks for all your help and i hope to contribute to the monthly photo threads soon!

well i would first be starting out so i think all types of pictures are on the table.. once i feel comfortable and confident, i would like to get into wedding photography...i was really leaning towards the D5100 but the only sticking point for me is the auto focus motor .. i dont want that to limit me in the future..
also.. how important is focus points (11 vs 39)?? should it matter for a beginner?
thanks for all your help and i hope to contribute to the monthly photo threads soon!

I haven't shot much in the way of weddings, but I feel good low light capabilities are very important for the reception halls and churches (Nikon D7000 is good in low light), as well as narrow depth of field (expensive lenses like this) .

For Nikon, each year the in-camera focus motor becomes less relavent as they have now have lenses of just about every kind with AFS.

The extra focus points of the D7000 are nice for sports imo.

Jangaroo

So do you most of you guys just stick with the auto focus on your lens? I didn't think about the focus sensors on cameras so I'm assuming better lenses have better AF?

RuGalz

So do you most of you guys just stick with the auto focus on your lens? I didn't think about the focus sensors on cameras so I'm assuming better lenses have better AF?

Lens can affect the speed (motor vs none) so does the body; it's not one or the other. For me, most of the time I let AF do the work and fine tune it manually if needed via quick shift. There are times when I go manual; it's situational.

Combichristoffersen

I generally just use AF. MF isn't something I use very often, unless I'm toying around with macro photos. Sony cameras, at least fairly recent ones (dunno about their oldest Alpha series models) have AF built into the camera body, so third-party lenses (like Sigma and Tamron lenses) often don't have an AF motor built into them. However, if you use a lens with a built-in AF motor, this will oversteer the in-body AF.

mrkgoo

The actual focus accuracy depends on the camera more, although they will function better with 'brighter' lenses, that is lenses with a wider maximum aperture. The AF sensors are in the body.

That said, the AF motor, at least on canon f lenses, are in the lens, and there are several types. The speed and sound of AF is dependent on the lens.

Jangaroo

The actual focus accuracy depends on the camera more, although they will function better with 'brighter' lenses, that is lenses with a wider maximum aperture. The AF sensors are in the body.

That said, the AF motor, at least on canon f lenses, are in the lens, and there are several types. The speed and sound of AF is dependent on the lens.

Lens can affect the speed (motor vs none) so does the body; it's not one or the other. For me, most of the time I let AF do the work and fine tune it manually if needed via quick shift. There are times when I go manual; it's situational.

I generally just use AF. MF isn't something I use very often, unless I'm toying around with macro photos.

Gotcha, didn't know some of the technical stuff. Appreciate it guys.

Omiee

Just got a D3200. It's a big change from point and shoot camera's iv had in the past.

Love the pictures it makes though. Which program's are the best to use for the raw image's?

LVJE1.jpg

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I haven't shot much in the way of weddings, but I feel good low light capabilities are very important for the reception halls and churches (Nikon D7000 is good in low light), as well as narrow depth of field (expensive lenses like this) .

For Nikon, each year the in-camera focus motor becomes less relavent as they have now have lenses of just about every kind with AFS.

The extra focus points of the D7000 are nice for sports imo.
Thanks !! One more thing, are the AF lens more expensive than the non AF lens ??

magicstop

Thanks !! One more thing, are the AF lens more expensive than the non AF lens ??

They tend to be, though I'm sure you can find examples of high end lenses without AF costing more than mediocre lenses that have it.
My favorite lens is a MF lens only (SMC Tak 50 1.4), but I really wish I had something comparable with AF. It's a great lens, and I can get good shots with it, but you can totally miss out on the action without AF. That's part of why I've avoided some really great deals on MF only lenses that are otherwise amazing.

X200 rumors are starting to fly. I guess there's nothing of substance yet, except that the X100 is now discontinued (and $999 at Amazon), and that a successor may appear at Photokina. Gonna be an interesting show.

alphaNoid

Banned
Hi All,

Honestly? Canon and Nikon are near equal in every department, they are so competitive you can't go wrong. I've always been a Canon guy, plus they were way more comfortable in my hands and I prefered the button layout over the Nikons. Also, I really like Canon L glass a lot more than anything Nikon offers.. but its not cheap.

Lastly, if you're amateur and want to go pro... set your expectations. Every single person who buys a DSLR thinks they're a pro.. or wants to be. 95% of will never understand enough about photography AND invest the time possible to master the craft or their own gear to ever really have that pro feel and look. Photography is an expensive hobby, and not just monetarily. It will cost you years of time to learn, years.

Years.

Photography is a science before its an art. Before art comes into play, the professional must first calculate all the numbers in their head to align their shot before even putting the lens to eye. And just as you think you've learned the balance between aperture, shutter speed an ISO you realize that those are the training wheels. Now you get to learn about lighting, flash photography and a million other things that change every thing you thought about photography a few weeks earlier.

I've been shooting with DSLRs for 4 years now, gone through many upgrades in bodies and lenses. I have good gear now, but I still learn new things every month that I never knew before. Its a work in progress... and while friends and family might say I have what it takes to be pro, I certainly know I do not.. there are pro's out there that put me to shame. So I'm marginalized my expectations and mostly just take photos of my wife/son ...

I'm all for you going pro, but I feel like you need to understand what that means and how much its going to take to get there. Owning a DSLR and understanding the basics will get you to a point where millions of others have thought they could go pro.. but when you go pro you'll quickly realize how competitive the market is and how inept you are to others out there charging much less than you expected to.

Best of luck on your venture and I welcome you with open arms into the photo community. Spend time, then more time and even more time learning this hobby and don't be afraid to ask questions. Its going to be a long journey for you.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
X200 rumors are starting to fly. I guess there's nothing of substance yet, except that the X100 is now discontinued (and $999 at Amazon), and that a successor may appear at Photokina. Gonna be an interesting show.

Photokina is gonna be crazy. Possible X200, Leica M10, sub $2K FF bodies, possibly more mirrorless entries. Hopefully Ricoh has something to announce. And not sure if they're going to reveal it at Photokina but there's rumors of a mirrorless Hasselblad that is almost Medium Format. Of course that thing is gonna cost over $10K.

Falch

Gonna go to Photokina gor the first time this year. Exciting!

That RX100 is looking fantastic btw, but I'm not sure it's what I need.

tino

Banned
Photokina is gonna be crazy. Possible X200, Leica M10, sub $2K FF bodies, possibly more mirrorless entries. Hopefully Ricoh has something to announce. And not sure if they're going to reveal it at Photokina but there's rumors of a mirrorless Hasselblad that is almost Medium Format. Of course that thing is gonna cost over $10K.

Now that Canon has gone APSC mirrorless, Pentax and Nikon going APSC mirrorless is inevitable.

Hopefully Pentax keep a screwdrive inside the mirrorless body to keep backward vompetibility and minimize lens size.

RuGalz

Now that Canon has gone APSC mirrorless, Pentax and Nikon going APSC mirrorless is inevitable.

Hopefully Pentax keep a screwdrive inside the mirrorless body to keep backward vompetibility and minimize lens size.

I kinda think Pentax will just make their entry DSLR mirrorless (aka K-01 but in more traditional DSLR form) as oppose to developing a new mount with shorter flange distance, unless they are completely abandoning Q. But then again maybe Ricoh has enough money to allow them to develop another mount. K-30 is supposed to be Pentax's last solo effort so whatever next camera they come up with should give some indication to what direction they plan to take in order to broaden their market.

Nice review. A few operation questions if I may.

The power button seem to be small. Is it easy to pull and camera out of the picket and turn it on at the same time? Is it easy to touch and change mode wheel by accident?

Also, does it keep all the manual settings if you turn it off and turn it back on? DP1 is the only "P&S" I have used that keep all the manual settings after I turn it off. I am talking about EV compensation, flash comp, manual focus, blanketing etc.

Thanks.

the power button is almost flush with the body, and it does take a bit of practice to remember where it is but not really a problem — you can feel your way. the mode dial is pretty stiff, too, so you definitely have to want to turn it.

it remembers manual settings when you turn the camera off and back on again except manual focus. by default, though, the centre button is an AF/MF toggle so it's one of the easiest settings to access.

tino

Banned
^^^ Thanks

I kinda think Pentax will just make their entry DSLR mirrorless (aka K-01 but in more traditional
DSLR form) as oppose to developing a new mount with shorter flange distance, unless they are completely abandoning Q. But then again maybe Ricoh has enough money to allow them to develop another mount. K-30 is supposed to be Pentax's last solo effort so whatever next camera they come up with should give some indication to what direction they plan to take in order to broaden their market.

K01 was a interim solution. Kind of like what g1x was. It didn't have none of the Pentax design DNA becuase Pentax wanted to make sure people know it was not a "true" Pentax.

I used to think Pentax wouldn't survive the new mirrorless "revolution" but I changed my mind. Japanese camera companies relationship are too interwined and incestous. Pentax/Ricoh probably will find a way to make their mirrorless system work. FF mirrorless body maybe?

Q was not even developed by Pentax, it was developed by Kenko.

Oh, interesting! I remember when Kenko announced that they were working on a mirrorless system with a CCTV-sized sensor, but it never seemed to materialize. I guess it did, after all. The Q seemed extremely well-built when I tried one... just not that useful.

I want to see a bigger-sensor GRD from Ricoh this Photokina. I don't know if they're ready to make the leap to APS-C in a body that size, but I'm sure they can do 1".

RuGalz

K01 was a interim solution. Kind of like what g1x was. It didn't have none of the Pentax design DNA becuase Pentax wanted to make sure people know it was not a "true" Pentax.

I used to think Pentax wouldn't survive the new mirrorless "revolution" but I changed my mind. Japanese camera companies relationship are too interwined and incestous. Pentax/Ricoh probably will find a way to make their mirrorless system work. FF mirrorless body maybe?

Not sure why you think that K01 is not 'true' Pentax. Nowadays, they are more about trying to differentiate themselves than trying to follow the footsteps of Canikkon, since it's a lost cause. The way K01 handles in hand is very Pentax and the way it's marketed is similar to how K-x was marketed.

Mirrorless FF has been a rumor for a while and there has been some hints of it. A near APS-C body size FF would make me consider FF for sure. However, I doubt it will get announced this year.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ricoh/Pentax just need to release a damn FF M-Mount module for the GXR at whatever premium they consider marketable. Probably $1K which will bring the unit to around $1,400 all together. If sub $2K FF DSLRs are coming they may not be able to ask an exorbitant price for the thing. Of course I need to remember the lack of AF capabilities of such a unit would relegate it as a niche product.

RuGalz

Ricoh/Pentax just need to release a damn FF M-Mount module for the GXR at whatever premium they consider marketable. Probably $1K which will bring the unit to around $1,400 all together. If sub $2K FF DSLRs are coming they may not be able to ask an exorbitant price for the thing. Of course I need to remember the lack of AF capabilities of such a unit would relegate it as a niche product.

I've always wondered if anyone shoots with GXR. The idea is neat but I've never seen a person shooting with it -- seems even more scarce than Pentax shooters...

I've always wondered if anyone shoots with GXR. The idea is neat but I've never seen a person shooting with it -- seems even more scarce than Pentax shooters...

tumblr_m52a42imqh1qii2mbo1_1280.jpg

Chris Steele Perkins, Magnum photographer.

GXR users are out there, but they're scarce, and I'd bet that most of them are Japanese (at least, pre-M-mount unit). I almost bought one once, but by that point the processing speed and buffer in the GXR's back were dinosaurs.

tino

Banned

It make sense for Leica glass owners. Konica...Epson...Ricoh....Fuji, Leica shooters get M mount bodies from the smaller camera makers.

Combichristoffersen

I guess this thread may be as good a thread as any other to ask, but for learning how to use Lightroom for someone with no prior experience with the software, would this book be a good introduction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom