• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the official drakensang thread of of of of of JESUS CHRIST GERMAN RPG (now on steam)

Damn, in my sleepy excitement I forgot why I avoided buying from GG. I just had to activate the game so those (such as myself) who are not interested in supporting games that include activation limitations, you may want to hold off until it is available from a store that offers DRM-specific details.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Checked 4 stores for this today and I totally struck out. Only one of them had even heard of the game, and they only ordered 1 copy, which sold last week. :/

I just bought the game from Gamersgate, and the download and activation went smoothly (it's a 4 GB download, which includes the high-resolution textures). Gamersgate doesn't have a dedicated client anymore, but if you download a game from them, you get a very small executable from Gamersgate, that does the actual download and activation.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. The graphics are great, and I like the detailed and colorful world the game displays. Also, although most of the dialogue isn't voiced, I'm enjoying the extensive dialogue options (which often contain side-quests, if you continue deep enough), and much of it is pretty funny.

I'm playing as a pointy-hatted healing mage, because I was interested how this party-based RPG plays as non-frontline character. Will have to see how that works out...

Zzoram

STEAM.

So is this game better than Sacred 2 if one were looking to buy an isometric RPG? Is Drakensang more story heavy and less lootwhore satisfying?

Zzoram said:
STEAM.

So is this game better than Sacred 2 if one were looking to buy an isometric RPG? Is Drakensang more story heavy and less lootwhore satisfying?

it is far more like baldur's gate than diablo, yes.

pilonv1

bit the bullet last night and picked it up off gamers gate.

good news is that it seems to run better than the demo. bad news is that i can only get more than 15-20fps if I play on low settings with low shadows and everything else turned off :(

even if i change from 1650x1080 to 1280x720 or even 854x480 i still get really shitty performance with medium settings. the performance i get on full settings (high and all lighting) too is very similar to medium, probably about 5pfs lower. but as soon as I put it to low settings i get a massive jump in frame rate, between 40-50fps.

it doesn't look bad at all on low settings but its just disappointing after seeing how sexy it looks on higher settings. everything just seems so empty without the medium detail.

pilonv1

It's an Asus G1 laptop - C2D @ 2.0ghz, 3.something GB of RAM (lousy 32bit Vista), 512mb GeForce 7700 Go. I don't expect to have anywhere near full detail but I figured I could get medium settings on a lower resolution which doesn't seem to be the case.

Minsc

Gold Member
My copy came today, it runs, but not great. Need to wait until I get a new system for this game (not too surprised, AGP has past it's relevance some time ago).

Looks great with everything maxed out, looking forward to playing this later.

pilonv1

Minsc said:
My copy came today, it runs, but not great. Need to wait until I get a new system for this game (not too surprised, AGP has past it's relevance some time ago).

Looks great with everything maxed out, looking forward to playing this later.

That's what I'm thinking. It's really sad because I don't consider my laptop to be completely out of date yet so I can't justify a new machine based on one game.

Mejilan

Wow, Amazon had indicated that my shit wouldn't ship until mid-March, but lo and behold, I got not one, not two, but THREE Amazon packages in today. Sadly, the other two were Killzone 2 and Halo Wars. I have no idea when I'll get to this. But I'm happy with the prompt Amazon re-stock!

Edit - Oh, and THQ, hilariously bad packaging. Congrats, if your artists are responsible for it. If not, congrats for not pulling rank and changing it to something (hopefully) better.

pilonv1

I rolled back to a slightly earlier video driver and can get maybe 18-20fps on med now. It's still not particularly playable though.

eXistor

After playing the demo I'm totally getting the game. These games need to be supported! I've had a shit-ton of problems with my pc, but the demo worked flawlessly (no crc error in sight for once). It should come in this friday so we'll see, but I'll have to give Demon's Souls my full attention first...and DQV.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How the heck are you supposed to (spoiler in swamp):

Kill the tree that is holding the elf woman? My god, swarms of bees, dragon plants, and the tree itself decimate my party. Everything else in the swamp has been a piece of cake, but this thing is ridiculously hard

I'm investigating the murders right now and i am stuck so hard. I just got thet alyna(or whatever it is) and fed the got and got the brooch. But i hit a dead end after i reported my progress. Anyone remember what to do from here?

Edit: i figured it out.

Munin

I'm really loving this game. Sure, it does exactly nothing new, but it's such a smooth, nice, polished experience that reminds me of a time when these games were coming out on a regular basis.

larvi

Showing in stock now at Amazon as well $27.99. It's sitting in my cart but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Saw a review in Gameinformer and they weren't too enthusiastic about the combat saying there's little to any tactics involved. With all those stats one would think it would be otherwise.

larvi said:
Showing in stock now at Amazon as well $27.99. It's sitting in my cart but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Saw a review in Gameinformer and they weren't too enthusiastic about the combat saying there's little to any tactics involved. With all those stats one would think it would be otherwise.
consider yourself GAMEINFORMED

Mejilan

Not sure what was going on with Amazon, but when I ordered it from them a week or two ago, it said that it wouldn't ship until mid-March. Like the 14th or something.

I mysteriously received the package about 3 days after having ordered it. :)

Mudo

Never heard of this game til I saw this thread a couple weeks ago. I ordered it on Amazon and got it a couple days ago. I love it so far, but after reading around online and the instruction manual, some of the systems still confuse me. There are so many options I'm afraid I will screw my characters up in some way or miss out on something that is awesome....guess that kind of info will come with time though.

I've noticed moving shadows to medium helps performance a good bit, at least on my machine fwiw.

epmode

Hay, does anyone have a link to the manual in PDF form? Steam hasn't uploaded it yet.

(The character creation is neat so far. And I like the WoWish interface/camera)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw this pop up on Steam and was like "what the hell is this? This is fucking awesome!"

Then I searched for it on GAF to see if it was being talked about and I found this thread with the awesome OP. I immediately went and purchased it. This is totally my type of game.

I'm still downloading, but how is the English localization?

Ricker

Waiting for the french localisation myself hehe because a friend will split the cost with me and he doesn't speak english,should be out this week.

eXistor

The game runs perfectly on my system (I was worried it wasn't gonna work at all, there's something horribly wrong with it). Everything is set to the highest settings and it runs fine. I haven't really played the game yet (too many other rpg's at the moment), but I think I'm gonna have a real good time with it once I do put the time in it.

I was having a really hard time choosing what character to play, but I went with a Ranger in the end. Too bad you can't alter the way you look.

epmode

Zefah said:
I'm still downloading, but how is the English localization?
Much better than I expected. I didn't see many awkward sentences in the ~hour I played last night. The voice acting on minor characters isn't so great but I'm kind an asshole when it comes to that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Japan and it was $29.99 (USD) in the default store for me. It was part of the reason I purchased it so quickly. I just put in 30 minutes and I like it a lot. I'm running it at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out and it runs very smooth and looks quite good. I am going to have to read up about the rules and the game's background before really getting into it, though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I was sold already at "there're a lot of awesome mustaches and hats in this game." but $30 on Steam makes this an impulse buy.

Now to find time to actually play it...

dejan

German speaking players might want to hold on with their purchase, because dtp is re-releasing Drakensang as a Gold Edition soon. The Gold edition will include all patches, the high-resolution pack, new quests, new items and the soundtrack (mp3).

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Started today....didnt play much but it runs quite well and as of now I've gone with all the default values for the characters (didnt even know if any values were changeable at all :lol ) and even though some options look little confusing, I would just progress as smoothly as I can. I hope it doesnt become a save-load fest.
Still...excited about it.................................

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Action Jackson said:
Still 49,99 for me. :(
Uh then they seem to have different prices per country - 29.99€ on _german_ Steam. Sorry for the confusion.

I won't get it just now because my rig's just below the minimum specs. Which is a shame since I've started PnP RPGing with Das Schwarze Auge. Ah well.

Zzoram

dejan said:
German speaking players might want to hold on with their purchase, because dtp is re-releasing Drakensang as a Gold Edition soon. The Gold edition will include all patches, the high-resolution pack, new quests, new items and the soundtrack (mp3).

Is the North American STEAM version up to date on patches? Does it include, or is it compatible with, the high-resolution pack?

Zzoram

I'll pick this game up in a few weeks on STEAM. Right now I'm really busy and can't afford the time to really get into a meaty RPG.

Top Bottom