• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the official drakensang thread of of of of of JESUS CHRIST GERMAN RPG (now on steam)

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
Is the North American STEAM version up to date on patches? Does it include, or is it compatible with, the high-resolution pack?

The retail version includes the high-resolution pack on the disc (and it's built in to the installer) & comes pre-patched, so I'd guess the steam version does as well.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Played a while more. Really liking the game. It runs wonderfully, looks quite good, voice acting isnt bad at all and seems polished so far. The real story hasnt yet started so can't say anything about that. I am liking the battle system so far...haven't yet figured out all the skills and everything but I'm sure I'll in a while.
All in all.....I am liking it so far.......

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Ok I've a problem.

I have accumulated many Experience points and APs, what to do with them? Will they only get distributed when I learn some new abilities (which means automatically) or can I actually distribute them as I want and can increase my abilities manually?
Is there a decent guide anywhere about these things in Drakensang? Please someone help.

Also, just how do I treat critical wounds? And why so many times using a herb for healing fails?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I gave it as a birthday present to my brother this weekend, and we played it for about 20 minutes. That's obviously not enough to judge it, but what I saw was gorgeous and reminded me of the old DSA sessions when I looked at the stats.
I would've enjoyed it even more if it had voiceover everywhere, but oh well..

Why give it as a present to my brother? Well, my brother's 7 years older than me, and when I was 12, he introduced me to the PnP version, and we (meaning me, my brother and his friends) played it for quite some weekends; that, by the way, were also the nights my first alcohol experiences took place, unbeknownst to my brother though (he usually fell into coma at around 1AM or so).
It was the first PnP RPG I played, and I've continued playing 'em ever since (although I stopped playing DSA because it's just too simple, really).
I designed a few PnP RPGs myself after the model of DSA following these sessions and played those with friends who were my age.
Awesome, awesome times.

garath

Played the demo for about an hour last night. I like a lot about this game. The difficulty seems to be up there though. My ranger was getting rocked by boars, seemed very difficult to single pull anything and they mowed through me. Switched to wolves and that was slightly easier but kept running out of arrows. In the demo you can't craft so that was that.

I suspect the full game with the wider variety of classes and the full range of options will make this a very fun game.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am stuck at one small thing. I have acquired healing and poison healing talents but I've no idea how to use them.
Any help?

Adeptrain

Been playing this game on and off for a few days and having a blast. The hot bar is essential as all your talents and skills are used through that I've discovered. Also, to answer a question above, with treat wounds and poisons it is automatically used when you use the right healing item. Its weird, but there are three major types of healing items. Things like wound powder do not heal wounds actually, but give you higher health regen for a while, while healing potions and oneberry potions give you a an immediate health boost. To heal wounds you need to use bandages and some sort of salve I think. When you click on an item look for the one that says +1 or +5 to TW (treat wounds), those will heal wounds. and goldmoon?? Tea will treat poisons. Just put these items in the hot bar and click on it then the character you wish to heal.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Adeptrain said:
Been playing this game on and off for a few days and having a blast. The hot bar is essential as all your talents and skills are used through that I've discovered. Also, to answer a question above, with treat wounds and poisons it is automatically used when you use the right healing item. Its weird, but there are three major types of healing items. Things like wound powder do not heal wounds actually, but give you higher health regen for a while, while healing potions and oneberry potions give you a an immediate health boost. To heal wounds you need to use bandages and some sort of salve I think. When you click on an item look for the one that says +1 or +5 to TW (treat wounds), those will heal wounds. and goldmoon?? Tea will treat poisons. Just put these items in the hot bar and click on it then the character you wish to heal.
Thanks man will try that.

Thinking of picking this up but I read a couple of reviews where it makes it seem like the stat system is incomprehensible. Talk me over this obstacle GAF.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stoney Mason said:
Thinking of picking this up but I read a couple of reviews where it makes it seem like the stat system is incomprehensible. Talk me over this obstacle GAF.

There are a lot of stats, but I don't see how it's incomprehensible.

Swords makes you better with swords
Maces makes you better with maces
Heal Wounds makes you better at healing
etc...

My god, so complex.

Finished it last night, great game! In a few parts I realized how big of a sucker for dungeon crawling I am :)

Any recent games that are similar to this one? Haven't tried wrpg since I tried to play Baldurs gate 2 two times and both times quiting in chapter two after being overwhelmed with things to do :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Melhisedek said:
Finished it last night, great game! In a few parts I realized how big of a sucker for dungeon crawling I am :)

Any recent games that are similar to this one? Haven't tried wrpg since I tried to play Baldurs gate 2 two times and both times quiting in chapter two after being overwhelmed with things to do :(

Did you enjoy it from the start? I bought it a few weeks ago and have only managed to play to the part where you get to the first city and are investigating the murder of your friend. I am now a party of 4 with the Barbarian woman, the magic using bar wench and the Dwarf. The game looks nice and seems deep enough, but it just hasn't managed to interest me much so far. I plan to stick with it, but does the story pick up at all?

Zefah said:
Did you enjoy it from the start? I bought it a few weeks ago and have only managed to play to the part where you get to the first city and are investigating the murder of your friend. I am now a party of 4 with the Barbarian woman, the magic using bar wench and the Dwarf. The game looks nice and seems deep enough, but it just hasn't managed to interest me much so far. I plan to stick with it, but does the story pick up at all?

Nah it was really slow at the start and I didn't really care much for it but kinda forced myself to continue :) Story is not Bioware level but it is serviceable. I cared much more for the exploration and dungeon crawling and combat.

I wish I could force myself to play BG2 again... I tried 3 times and always hit the wall in Chapter two when i get overwhelmed with all the quests and locations :/

Perhaps I should work my way back through games :) What games should I play to bridge BG2 and this one?

krzy123

Just got this over the weekend. Enjoying it so far, not to far into though. The system is pretty simple to understand, the thing is that the freedom that it allows can be daunting. In most WRPGs (BG style) you're only allowed to put points into certain skills/attritibutes at certain levels. Here you can just put them whenever/whatever you want.

You should try BG1 w/ EasyTutu

Minsc

Gold Member
Melhisedek said:
Nah it was really slow at the start and I didn't really care much for it but kinda forced myself to continue :) Story is not Bioware level but it is serviceable. I cared much more for the exploration and dungeon crawling and combat.

I wish I could force myself to play BG2 again... I tried 3 times and always hit the wall in Chapter two when i get overwhelmed with all the quests and locations :/

Perhaps I should work my way back through games :) What games should I play to bridge BG2 and this one?

NWN2:MotB, The Witcher & Bloodlines you can't go wrong with.

somesang

Wow, I just bought this on a whim, and I am not regretting it. I wish I saw this thread earlier. You sure know how to sell a game, Drinky.

Anyways, impressions so far.
After playing a lot of NWN2, I feel like that game should have been more like this one. The voice acting and story are nowhere near as intriguing, but the overall feel and controls make up for it. Just running around and adventuring feels more like adventuring, opposed to what NWN offered, with its sterile boxes for maps. Maybe I'm being unfair comparing the two, but it is very similar. On the outside, at least. I'm only a few hours in and my only gripes so far are the little amount of loot that's coming up. Seven knives in barrels, really? The loot whore in me wants more.

So my question, for those of you that have put in a considerable amount of time, am I going to start getting better loot? Like the kind where I have to question whether I want a knife+1 or a fiery knife of auspicious condensation. What's the loot like? The story isn't grabbing me so far, and I feel the only thing that'll keep me around are things like cool armor.

somesang

5tyv4z.jpg

Played a little more, and definitely enjoying it. I just got out of the starting village. The graphics aren't the prettiest, but the art style has some endearing qualities.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finished it finally. Really long game. Xfire showing 64 hours played buit almost always exaggerates so I would say it took me about 50 hours (I did considerable number of side-quests too).

Awesome game, enjoyed every moment of it. Really really liked it. For me it was as good as The Witcher, now I know many won't agree but for me it was.

somesang said:
So my question, for those of you that have put in a considerable amount of time, am I going to start getting better loot? Like the kind where I have to question whether I want a knife+1 or a fiery knife of auspicious condensation. What's the loot like? The story isn't grabbing me so far, and I feel the only thing that'll keep me around are things like cool armor.

IMO later on in the game you will get some really cool things in loot. Make sure that your arcane lore is high cause later you'll get many magical things which you would need to recognize by arcane lore to use.
Also, the inventory is pretty big so stuff it with whatever you get and sell those to buy cool things. I did it in the whole things. And also, I started using Alchemy later in the game, which I regret.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Everyone seems to mention this game on the net, and I'm tempted, but lord that demo sucks. Horrible characters, weird little enclosed areas where you pick up quests like post office letters. Not an inch of charisma. Maybe it gets a lot better after that but it sure makes a weak first impression.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm also very tempted and am downloading the demo now. The awkward ruleset and easy upgrade mishaps that can misshape my character in NWN2 really pissed me off last night. :(

Also did I mention that D&D rules suck ass in videogame form?

Ricker

I thought my Charlatan was bugged,I couldn't use any spells anymore from the quick slot bar,they where all greyed out all of a sudden,tried everything,even stripped her down in her undies :D and it still didn't work until I found out it was the Iron helmet that I had her equip that was doing that....heading early on into
my reward house right now for the first time
...this game is awesome even though the interface and spell/talent stuff is not always user friendly so far.

Minsc

Gold Member
somesang said:
5tyv4z.jpg

Played a little more, and definitely enjoying it. I just got out of the starting village. The graphics aren't the prettiest, but the art style has some endearing qualities.

Helps if you turn the options up, right? From what I've played so far, I could have sworn it looked nicer than that...

Minsc

Gold Member
Brandon F said:
I'm also very tempted and am downloading the demo now. The awkward ruleset and easy upgrade mishaps that can misshape my character in NWN2 really pissed me off last night. :(

Also did I mention that D&D rules suck ass in videogame form?

They work great in (pseudo) turn-based RPG games actually, just because they allow for you to have weaker / broken characters isn't a huge problem.

The worse your character is, generally the more fun the combat will be, as it will be more challenging.

Kinan

Playing it now, pretty traditional oldschool RPG. First part in the city feels like compressed NWN2, so similar that it looks like a ripoff at times. Also i just had my second zone lock - thats a cheap trick, could have allowed a gamer to backtrack.

Overall not bad, but not something amazing either. Enjoyable.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ill be honest.. i almost dismissed this game entirely off of a couple of screen shots (looked bland), a couple of forum posts (light social roleplaying mechanics) and the boring name (Drakensang.. too many memories of Drakkhen, Drakengard and Drakan). i know i was a bit shallow with my reasoning but thankfully i got it on a whim and am having a blast. The game might not be the best rpg ever but it sure is fun.

First off, i am not finished with the game but i am taking break from it (ive been going like 10 hours straight with it atm) and want to post what i like about it so much. Hopefully i can convince someone to try it out since this game shouldn't be missed imo.

+ the world captures that feeling of being alive. City streets are packed with people.. customers at merchant stands, drunks wobbling out of taverns, dockworkers carrying boxes and crates from ships down at the harbor, and livestock wander about as citizens attend their business. The forested areas also feel natural as well with both friendly and hostile animals present.

+ the quests. Sure the basis for many of them is cliche.. but this game is testament to cliche done correctly. And although there may not be much choice and consequence during quests, the dialogue options that can be unlocked offer bonus xp if your character can pull them off.

+ the amount of stats and how you approach the game. You need to plan ahead and build a well-balanced party of four if you want to approach the game from a "completist" angle. This fits my OCD perfectly and i love it.

+ the companions are surprisingly well put together. They comment on things going on in the area and chime in during dialogues as well. Another nice touch with them is later in the game you will get access to a "home base" of sorts (like the Ebon Hawk in KotOR and the Sunken Flagon in NWN2) and when you come to visit the NPCs are chatting with one another.

+ the game is gorgeous. Screenshots do not do it justice at all. At least none of the screens ive seen of it posted. There is a lot of movement going on and it looks great and runs really smooth even with the graphics cranked really high.

+ the camera and the movement is very much like WoW. This is a good thing imo. i was worried what it would be like when i got a party but it works without problem.

+ the design of the areas is top-notch.. the city areas especially. The cities feel like medieval cities. Some areas very focused in their design and other areas a kind of sprawling mess as the city has expanded.

+ the zombies. The first time zombies appear in this game i was like "Fuck yeah!" Their design is closer to Romero than Dungeons and Dragons. Especially the first one you encounter.. it left a good impression on me.

+ bug-free as far as i can tell. i havent had any crashes or anything odd happen yet. If i had to guess i would say im at the 30 hour mark.

+ the sound design is also great. The voice overs have had very few cringe-worthy moments and ive yet to find an annoying sound (the potion and scroll sounds in NWN drive me up the wall)

+ the maps. The area map comes up as a hand drawn map complete with scribblings and notations on it. This carries over to the hud mini-map as well. ive found it very charming and much more interesting than the screenshot birds eye view maps found in most games. The world map also has more stuff going on than it should.. birds flying around and clouds moving. i wont get too upset about that though because the end result does look pretty.

+ the larger enemies and fights are really awesome. Some feel very much like MMO boss fights and this makes them interesting. Stand-out fights so far
the fight with the Neisbecks.. the storm raging and the awesome end to that bitch.. i lol'd. The beast in the cave and the purple wyrm on the mountain.. great fights and nice touch that when you loot their heads their bodies show the decapitation. The Mother Rat under the brewery. She kicked my ass in good the first time but i came back later and got my revenge, The battle took a long time (30 minutes or so) but damn if wasn't that victory sweet!

+ the game feels polished

Just finished; what a satisfying ending. I'm not sure how long I played, but I would guess it was somewhere between fifty and sixty hours, so it is a lengthy game, especially when considering the price. About halfway through, I was gearing up for what I thought was the end, only to have my party pointed towards more and more explorable areas.

The story gets a little loose on occasion and some of the voice acting made me wince, but otherwise the presentation was far more than I was expecting. For whatever reason, very few of the screenshots I've seen do Drakensang justice, but the game itself is very pretty and the pastures are gorgeous. As someone mentioned earlier, the developers did a great job of creating a world that feels "alive" with bustling streets, noisy taverns, and so on.

It took me awhile (a long long while) before I got the hang of the combat and level system, but I had fun and the system was rewarding once I got a feel for it. I wish spell casting was a bit more fleshed out though as the trickle of new spells I was learning ended long before I was done playing.

Overall, very surprised with length and quality I got with Drakensang and am absolutely a +1 day one sale for its expansion/sequel/prequel.

Yeah, definitely going to get this game now...just a matter of when and which DD site to use for it.

Any indication that a lively mod community can/will exist for it as of yet?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ElectricThunder said:
Yeah, definitely going to get this game now...just a matter of when and which DD site to use for it.

Any indication that a lively mod community can/will exist for it as of yet?

i didnt think there would be much of a modding community but it looks like there is http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewforum.php?f=191&sid=b6f0524d6d21ca10dec28a9c3a526521.

As for which DD site to use.. im not really sure.

i just finished the game also and really enjoyed it. i probably sunk about 40 hours into it and it felt like nothing really.. you know what they say, time flies.. Perhaps ill have to fool around with some of those mods. The one that caught my eye is Ergos Fixpack. It seems to address some of the smaller issues i had with the game (run speed, harvesting speed, battle difficulty, etc).

Thinking further on it...isn't there something with at least some of the DD sites where you can register a physical copy with them, each one in turn, and then have access to the game that way across the whole lot of them? That'd seem like the ideal situation unless I'm misunderstanding something along the way...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there a mod of hidden config file or something to make this games camera not blow giant chunky bits of ass?

Seriously it feels like my party is being followed around by a drunken documentary crew and it's driving me up the wall. A nice overhead strategic view like the infinity engine games or what NWN2 added through patches would be perfect.

Acosta

Sorry for the bump, but I bought this after completing the enhanced version of The Witcher (great game BTW) and had a question for whoever can answer it.

How important are social skills like seduction and so? I was going to roll a metamage or battle mage, but I was thinking if this game could be a good chance to play something that doesn't rely in summoning dark powers or thunders from the sky and I'm curious to try Charlatane with high focus in stealing and social skills. Will it make any difference in the adventure?

krzy123

Acosta said:
Sorry for the bump, but I bought this after completing the enhanced version of The Witcher (great game BTW) and had a question for whoever can answer it.

How important are social skills like seduction and so? I was going to roll a metamage or battle mage, but I was thinking if this game could be a good chance to play something that doesn't rely in summoning dark powers or thunders from the sky and I'm curious to try Charlatane with high focus in stealing and social skills. Will it make any difference in the adventure?

One of the characters you can use in your party is a charlatan, so not really. You also get her very early, I'm not sure if you can recruit a battle/metamage (if you can it is not early). The only thing will be you'll be able to fine tune (remove points in skills/attributes you don't want, etc) yours before you begin playing.

Acosta

krzy123 said:
One of the characters you can use in your party is a charlatan, so not really. You also get her very early, I'm not sure if you can recruit a battle/metamage (if you can it is not early). The only thing will be you'll be able to fine tune (remove points in skills/attributes you don't want, etc) yours before you begin playing.

Thanks, really appreciated. Yes, if if I have an early charlatan that I can use to convince NPCs, no need to go for a charlatan main one. Will try other class.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cat in the Hat said:
Give it some time to pick up. It's not all fetch quest, promise.

I never made it out of the first big city. I remember being frustrated because the class / skills I picked sucked ass and I didn't want to restart.

I'll have to give the game another try sometime soon. I do remember being really annoyed that all of the characters would hold their weapons in a combat stance in all situations when they had weapons equipped, though.

I apologize for bumping this, but just purchased this awesome game. Quick question though, how the fuck do you increase combat talents? I have enough EXP to gain a new one but apparently I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Fuck, nevermind. Just found the dude to buy them from. :)

Top Bottom