• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Vaxadrin

Banned
Fletcher said:
I own both systems and have one down and out. Limits my options come April 29th. I've waited too damn long for this game to not be able to play it.

Even if you don't play your 360 at all between now & then, that won't affect when God decides to RROD you.

Recoil

Himuro said:
Well, during that mission, you are already ON a mission. It is a timed mission. This is completely entirely. This feature means you won't always have a mission right when you're assigned one. You'll have to wait so you can even do it.

*whispers* Uh, GTA3 had that, too.

You could only take missions from Joey at certain times, as well as other characters.

VC did the same thing, so did SA -- many of the Caligula missions, in particular, were a bit of a pain in the ass to me, because they could only be done at certain times.

raYne

CrushDance said:
Can you post a image of the PS3 special version in the OP so we can see the difference(If any) thanks.
It's the same thing.

with a copy of the PS3 ver, duh. ;)

raYne said:
It's the same thing.

with a copy of the PS3 ver, duh. ;)
Well it should be posted anyway so people don't get confused. I didn't really follow the game and was wondering if there was a difference or not. It'd be helpful for people to glance over. Kind of important to have it up for a multi platform game thread.

314f22o.jpg

raYne

Himuro said:
Yeah, I read it earlier and bolded the part that had me worried in another thread. Namely this:
* You'll likely notice the same graphical "quirks" that the series has dealt with since the jump to 3D. The same filmlike, grainy framerate exists and usually holds steady, but it can momentarily dip when things get frantic. There's some long-distance graphical fade-in as well as some street-level hazards that appear only after you hit them. Traffic will be nonexistent one second, then three cars deep when you rotate the camera back around, and then completely disappear when your wanted level gets to two or three stars (which is oh-so-fun when you desperately need a getaway vehicle).

I was really hoping that neither would happen anymore. Especially the latter.

Grayman

I wasn't really excited for GTA but I am starting to be now. It sounds like the single player game is really long, i hope I don't have to unlock the city area by area.

raYne

Grayman said:
I wasn't really excited for GTA but I am starting to be now. It sounds like the single player game is really long, i hope I don't have to unlock the city area by area.
You do.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Grayman said:

Nah, you can go into those uncharted areas right from the get go.

with 5 wanted stars too!

M3wThr33

Banned
About god damn time this thread was made.
Reserved the SE at Blockbuster on Sepulveda in Manhattan Beach. Going there for midnight launch.

I'm excited.

zoukka

I remember playing GTAIII in my friends house and immediately applying to summer-work, thus getting 600 big ones and buying me a PS2 and GTAIII, followed by GT3 and FFX.

Fuck for not owning a HD-screen :(

EazyB

Banned
Ah, can't believe it's coming out so soon, guess I've been too busy with other games to notice. I'm still trying to catch up on the Fall 07 360 and Wii releases. Suppose I'll have to put them off even longer to spend a couple months in Liberty City.

raYne

diddlyD said:
what reviews are out so far, and for what platforms?
It's in the OP. Official Xbox mag, for the 360 version obviously.

Domino Theory said:
Nah, you can go into those uncharted areas right from the get go.

with 5 wanted stars too!
Nope. It's locked in SP and you have to open each section just like you had to do in the other games.

MP on the other hand, has everywhere unlocked from the start.

bjork

My main thing will be that I won't want online stuff to count towards a 100% game. I don't really play online ever, regardless of the game. GTA is no exception.

Fletcher

Plus, I can continue the game and wonder what could possibly be in that area that I have yet to see. It could totally blow my mind and I love it.

P.S. I'm really curious who this celebrity is that makes a cameo? I've seen it mentioned twice now and it seems like it could be someone pretty big.

raYne

I just want to see what the plot excuses are for being "stuck" in the areas again...

Another bridge out? Construction? Godzilla? The Cloverfield monster?

bjork

raYne said:
I just want to see what the plot excuses are for being "stuck" in the first area again...

ankle bracelet

I am guessing

Fletcher

raYne said:
I just want to see what the plot excuses are for being "stuck" in the first area again...

It's already been said what it is. Tunnels/bridges are down due to major terrorist threats.

raYne said:
I just want to see what the plot excuses are for being "stuck" in the areas again...

It's already been released.

Terrorist threat.

Chris R

So PC version has been confirmed? I might just pick up the PS3 version for the time being, but if done correctly, the PC version will be the definite version once again (yea yea, DLC).

raYne

rhfb said:
So PC version has been confirmed? I might just pick up the PS3 version for the time being, but if done correctly, the PC version will be the definite version once again (yea yea, DLC).
Nope, but it's a given.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Fletcher said:
I love unlocking areas piece by piece. It gives me a sense of progression.

Indeed, it's not like the areas aren't big enough to explore to start with anyway, and it gives you a sense of direction.

The game looks highly stylised, and great, April 29th cannot come fast enough, nice thread Himuro!

Chris R

raYne said:
Nope, but it's a given.
It isn't a given until they say so. I know porting from the 360 is easy, ect, but I would just be quite a bit more comfortable if they said like August 29th = PC or something, because if they don't I'm thinking they have most of their team working on the DLC for the 360 owners.

Fletcher

The real problem is my enthusiasm button isn't strong enough! It's located on newer Vista enabled laptops. Shit is insane.

Grayman

Fletcher said:
Plus, I can continue the game and wonder what could possibly be in that area that I have yet to see. It could totally blow my mind and I love it.
Well it is nice to progress but I already know what is in Liberty City/New York. The older videos upset me by showing so many scenes straight out of a graphical upgrade of III. I think I will already know my way around 2 of the 5(?) areas. I don't want to be "stuck" there for 20 hours of story.

Fletcher

Grayman said:
Well it is nice to progress but I already know what is in Liberty City/New York. The older videos upset me by showing so many scenes straight out of a graphical upgrade of III. I think I will already know my way around 2 of the 5(?) areas. I don't want to be "stuck" there for 20 hours of story.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, my friend.

Loudninja

Grayman said:

I am pretty sure it wont be the same.

Top Bottom