• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

traveler said:
Construct looked alot better in that walkthrough than I had thought it would. Still, I most excited for Guardian, Sandtrap, and The Pit.

Construct looked much bigger than I thought it would be..

Does anyone else feel like all the multiplayer maps are a little bigger this time around than the average halo maps. It seems like the game is being pushed towards 6 vs 6 more this go round.

Huge Map:
Sandtrap

Big Maps:
Valhalla
Last Resort
Construct
The Pit

Mid Size:
Snowbound
High Ground
Isolation
Narrows

Small Map:

Guardian

Blueblur1

I just checked HBO and went over to see the Construct video. I think Construct is going one of my favorite top 3 multiplayer maps. It looks REALLY GOOD.

giga

Blueblur1 said:
I just checked HBO and went over to see the Construct video. I think Construct is going one of my favorite top 3 multiplayer maps. It looks REALLY GOOD.
It is beautiful. I personally like Guardian (so many Lockout cues in it) and High Ground (who doesn't love High Ground?).

traveler

Not Wario
Dirtbag 504 said:

Does anyone else feel like all the multiplayer maps are a little bigger this time around than the average halo maps. It seems like the game is being pushed towards 6 vs 6 more this go round.

It felt like the opposite to me. Actually, let me rephrase that, the maps do seem bigger on the whole, but they also seem more confined. Or, in other words, less vehicular and more personal in terms of combat orientation. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but Valhalla, Sandtrap, and Last Resort are really the only maps that are capable of large vehicular battles, correct?) I guess we know the first thing Bungie needs to work on for DLC. :D

Blueblur1 said:

Fighting across those gaps from multiple levels (IIRC) with longer range weapons is going to roooocccckkkkk.

Any way we can play skate. on Halo Multiplayer maps? I would SO love if somehow EA could take that philosophy of just combing cities for spots to like every game out there so you could take your skater and like ollie through Rapture or bs 5-0 through the mall in Dead Rising...

I've been playing way too much skate., haven't I....

segarr

Dirtbag 504 said:

I'm convinced 6 vs 6 is the sweet spot. Is there a playlist for 6 vs this time?

Strike, sorry about not responding earlier. Once I saw Newegg had screwed us I went back to bed. Karma kicked me in the ass since I just woke up with a leg cramp from hell.

My GT is the same as my forum name BTW.

Just tried to cancel with newegg and they would not even refund my shipping, WTF? I'll just refuse it when it gets here.

JdFoX187

Banned
traveler said:
It felt like the opposite to me. Actually, let me rephrase that, the maps do seem bigger on the whole, but they also seem more confined. Or, in other words, less vehicular and more personal in terms of combat orientation. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but Valhalla, Sandtrap, and Last Resort are really the only maps that are capable of large vehicular battles, correct?) I guess we know the first thing Bungie needs to work on for DLC. :D
When Halo 2 first launched, only Zanzibar, Coagulation, Headlong and Waterworks were the only vehicle-oriented maps. Zanzibar really didn't have large scale vehicle battles either. Only one warthog and two ghosts.

Dirtbag

traveler said:

More confined?

no way!

EDIT: and I agree with above posters about large scale vehicle combat comparisons.

GhaleonEB

traveler said:
Interestingly enough, what Frank said in one of the interviews I added to the OP was they identified a need for more small, symmetrical maps. I do hope some more vehicle-heavy maps are on the way, though. To me a map just isn't Halo without a vehicle or two careening around.

That said, I think I'll be spending a lot of quality time on Sandtrap. A lot.

meddow

Dirtbag 504 said:

Huge Map:
Sandtrap

Big Maps:
Valhalla
Last Resort
Construct
The Pit

Mid Size:
Snowbound
High Ground
Isolation
Narrows

Small Map:

Guardian

best map imo = Guardian

traveler

Not Wario
JdFoX187 said:
When Halo 2 first launched, only Zanzibar, Coagulation, Headlong and Waterworks were the only vehicle-oriented maps. Zanzibar really didn't have large scale vehicle battles either. Only one warthog and two ghosts.

You forgot Burial Mounds- and five vehicular battle maps is a fine number to start off with.

joelseph

It might be too soon yet but can anyone comment on the lag issues in MP when playing with more than 8 people in game? Does retail exhibit the same problems Beta did?

Eric WK

traveler said:

Frankie actually said in a recent interview that they're first focus for DLC is going to be on smaller symmetrical maps.

EDIT: If I'm going to be beaten by anyone, it might as well be Ghaleon.

JdFoX187 said:

Two hogs, fool. One spawns between the base and invis. tower.

UnholySpectacle said:
Strike, sorry about not responding earlier. Once I saw Newegg had screwed us I went back to bed. Karma kicked me in the ass since I just woke up with a leg cramp from hell.

My GT is the same as my forum name BTW.

Just tried to cancel with newegg and they would not even refund my shipping, WTF? I'll just refuse it when it gets here.
Yeah they refunded me my shipping and I'll just deny it when the package gets here. I sent you a FR a minute ago.

traveler

Not Wario
Eric WK said:
Frankie actually said in a recent interview that they're first focus for DLC is going to be on smaller symmetrical maps.

:(

Ah well, I'm probably going to have fun with them anyway and I know they'll be more on the way after that. No sense in complaining.

Edit: Has it been confirmed that there is a secret map in the game yet?

JdFoX187

Banned
traveler said:
You forgot Burial Mounds- and five vehicular battle maps is a fine number to start off with.
Just because a map has a vehicle or two doesn't mean it's a vehicle-oriented map. I have seen games on Burial Mounds where neither the Ghost nor the Warthog are ever moved. The same can't be said for Headlong, Waterworks and Coagulation.

traveler

Not Wario
JdFoX187 said:
Just because a map has a vehicle or two doesn't mean it's a vehicle-oriented map. I have seen games on Burial Mounds where neither the Ghost nor the Warthog are ever moved. The same can't be said for Headlong, Waterworks and Coagulation.

Really? The way we used to play Burial Mounds, vehicles were ALWAYS being used. I was looking for maps like it, but Isolation seems like everyone will be inside most of the time (ala Snowbound) and High Ground is all footwork once outside of the occasional mongoose ride up from the beach to the gate.

Edit: I should note that pretty much all of Halo 2 multiplayer play was done offline in LAN parties and the like. We created and modified most of our gametypes, so I haven't really played the game like somebody who was in matchmaking would have.

Eric WK said:

EDIT: If I'm going to be beaten by anyone, it might as well be Ghaleon.

Two hogs, fool. One spawns between the base and invis. tower.

I think the other hog only showed up on BTB playlists.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I really dislike symmetrical maps. The only one I actually enjoy playing on is Sanctuary. Asymmetrical maps are just so much more interesting since there is variety depending on your location on the map.

Dirtbag

another thing I was thinking about the other day when everyone was make requests about blood gultch remake and thinking that its a good idea....

In addition to Valhalla being the spiritual sucessor, I said there was no reason for a blood gulch remake... to which someone responded, blood gultch was a great map because it was so straight foward, with no tricks, primarily flat, etc..

Well wouldn't Sandtrap serve that purpose better as well. I mean Sandtrap looks to be about the most straight forward, no nonsense map yet. Between the two maps, do we really need to see another blood gultch.... really?

LunaticPuma said:
I really dislike symmetrical maps. The only one I actually enjoy playing on is Sanctuary. Asymmetrical maps are just so much more interesting since there is variety depending on your location on the map.
I agree. Asymmetry makes for better communication and planned attacks as well.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag 504 said:
another thing I was thinking about the other day when everyone was make requests about blood gultch remake and thinking that its a good idea....

In addition to Valhalla being the spiritual sucessor, I said there was no reason for a blood gulch remake... to which someone responded, blood gultch was a great map because it was so straight foward, with no tricks, primarily flat, etc..

Well wouldn't Sandtrap serve that purpose better as well. I mean Sandtrap looks to be about the most straight forward, no nonsense map yet. Between the two maps, do we really need to see another blood gultch.... really?
Blood Gulch was my favorite Halo map, and one of my two favorite Halo 2 maps. I thought Valhalla was an improvement over them in every respect. So I, at least, don't think we need another box canyon with a base at each end.

GhaleonEB said:
Blood Gulch was my favorite Halo map, and one of my two favorite Halo 2 maps. I thought Valhalla was an improvement over them in every respect. So I, at least, don't think we need another box canyon with a base at each end.

I disliked Blood Gulch unless it was BTB with the tanks playable as well. Valhalla is awesome though.

JdFoX187

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:

I agree. Asymmetry makes for better communication and planned attacks as well.
Blood Gulch/Coagulation is Halo multiplayer to me. I have logged hundreds of hours on those two maps alone. Sure, Valhalla is the spiritual successor and, in many ways, is superior. But it's just not Blood Gulch.

I have mentioned numerous times I hope Bungie does something like Ubisoft did with G.R.A.W. and release a throwback map pack. Have remakes of Blood Gulch, Damnation, Sidewinder, and one or two Halo 2 maps. Surely, they'll release more than one set of maps this time.

JdFoX187 said:
I have mentioned numerous times I hope Bungie does something like Ubisoft did with G.R.A.W. and release a throwback map pack. Have remakes of Blood Gulch, Damnation, Sidewinder, and one or two Halo 2 maps. Surely, they'll release more than one set of maps this time.
On launch day!

I hope.

Dirtbag

JdFoX187 said:
Blood Gulch/Coagulation is Halo multiplayer to me. I have logged hundreds of hours on those two maps alone. Sure, Valhalla is the spiritual successor and, in many ways, is superior. But it's just not Blood Gulch.

If Bungie would have slapped blood gultch or some variation of the title to Valhalla, do you think most people would complain about the differences, or still want the real blood gultch?

Real question, not picking a fight here.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Newegg is now Newshitt to me. Most conflicting customer service ever.

Hopefully they'll learn their lesson and not show a game in stock until the day before it release. :lol

traveler

Not Wario
JdFoX187 said:

I really hope they spend their time crafting new maps rather than remaking old ones tbh. I've played the old ones to death and I'd like to see designs that take into mind the new vehicles, man cannons, third person weapons, and equipment rather than old designs NOT designed around an understanding of those.

JdFoX187

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
If Bungie would have slapped blood gultch or some variation of the title to Valhalla, do you think most people would complain about the differences, or still want the real blood gultch?
It's not Blood Gulch, you can see that just by looking at the map itself. Coagulation and Blood Gulch are very similar maps. The only difference is the one side of the map is now a rock slide instead of another path and the hill behind...I want to say Red Base, is higher too.

I love Valhalla and it'll be my Blood Gulch for Halo 3. But I would love to see a true Blood Gulch remake sometime.

traveler said:
I really hope they spend their time crafting new maps rather than remaking old ones tbh. I've played the old ones to death and I'd like to see designs that take into mind the new vehicles, man cannons, third person weapons, and equipment rather than old designs NOT designed around an understanding of those.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't we have both? You can remake a map and make some minor changes to it and it'll still work. Bungie's staff is a lot bigger than before. I would be seriously surprised, and very disappointed in this day and age of DLC, if they only release one map pack. I'd love to see some remakes of classic maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom