• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
striKeVillain! said:
If you got a tracking number you'll just have to wait until it gets to you and then you can deny the package. That will get you a full refund.

Whats bullshit about that is the fact that they didn't actually ship them yet and there sitting in their warehouse for shipping. So they havent shiped yet... mean you should be able to just cancel. Not sure what the big deal is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
striKeVillain! said:
If you got a tracking number you'll just have to wait until it gets to you and then you can deny the package. That will get you a full refund.

really? they'll refund the shipping too?

Dirtbag

JdFoX187 said:
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't we have both? You can remake a map and make some minor changes to it and it'll still work. Bungie's staff is a lot bigger than before. I would be seriously surprised, and very disappointed in this day and age of DLC, if they only release one map pack. I'd love to see some remakes of classic maps.

I prefer the evolution-ist view that they take what worked from the previous map and add or subtract from that formula to make a superior map, built in its image.

I've played so many hours of halo2 / halo1 at this point... that I'm just flat out tired of playing old scenarios. I don't really want to play em in matchmaking anymore.

Gamers I find to be some of the most nostaglic people on the planet. It's wierd.

JdFoX187

Banned
traveler said:
?

The only remakes I see are Zanzibar and Lockout. :)D )
Except...Lost Resort is the only remake.

Dirtbag 504 said:
I prefer the evolution-ist view that they take what worked from the previous map and add or subtract from that formula to make a superior map, built in its image.

I've played so many hours of halo2 / halo1 at this point... that I'm just flat out tired of playing old scenarios. I don't really want to play em in matchmaking anymore.

Gamers I find to be some of the most nostaglic people on the planet. It's wierd.

They can do those with remakes as well. A lot of people complained about different aspects of the ladders in Battle Creek. Bungie remakes it, puts in slopes, makes it a better map. That's just one example. I don't see what's wrong with having a few remade maps. With their staff as big as it is, it's not going to detract from the other maps. I'm not saying I don't want new maps. I do. But I would love to see some remakes of some of the most classic maps.

giga

Valhalla fixes what Coagulation got wrong in Halo 2. Just too flat and even for sniping. The portals never worked that great either and the transportation system is greatly improved with the man cannons and dual atvs.

sm_valhalla2.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
giga said:
Valhalla fixes what Coagulation got wrong in Halo 2. Just too flat and even for sniping. The portals never worked that great either and the transportation system is greatly improved.

Exactly. The ridges are a HUGE improvement and what make the map for me.

StUnNeR H2K

joelseph said:
It might be too soon yet but can anyone comment on the lag issues in MP when playing with more than 8 people in game? Does retail exhibit the same problems Beta did?

No clue how better the net code is, supposibly its better. Games with more than 8 people rely heavily on finding a host with enough upload bandwidth to handle everyone. Most everyone with high speed has enough upload to with-stand a 4 on 4 game, but 8 on 8 requires much more upload bandwidth. Unless you are paying for the top of the line connection from you ISP you probably don't have the bandwidth to handle a BTB game.

Again... I have yet to play the final retail version so things could be much better...

JdFoX187

Banned
StUnNeR H2K said:
No clue how better the net code is, supposibly its better. Games with more than 8 people rely heavily on finding a host with enough upload bandwidth to handle everyone. Most everyone with high speed has enough upload to with-stand a 4 on 4 game, but 8 on 8 requires much more upload bandwidth. Unless you are paying for the top of the line connection from you ISP you probably don't have the bandwidth to handle a BTB game.

Again... I have yet to play the final retail version so things could be much better...
seriouslyava.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Uff...came so close to bagging Halo3 today. Saw obviously gutted boxes on display, and having a look around, saw that Warhawk and various DS games had been put out already (i.e. a day early here), so thought this place may not b averse to selling early. So figured I'd chance my arm, struck up a conversation with an assistant re. Warhawk, and asked ... "are you selling halo3? i heard some places got it early..". He kind of knowingly smiled, and said he'd have a quick check..but came back with a manager who told me they couldn't sell it early, and to try coming back next week :( The manager went away, and the dude then said that he'd have let me have it if the manager hadn't gotten involved :| Oh well, I did get Warhawk a day early anyway..

homez99

Any idea when the Halo 3 servers will come back? I knew I should've downloaded those forge maps and those videos from Bungie's favourites yesterday.

Striker

I hope they bring in at least 2-3 more large maps.

Halo 2 had Waterworks, Coagulation, Headlong, Containment, Terminal, and Relic for medium-large based maps. I hope Halo 3 has a similar set. Valhalla and Sandtrap are a nice start, especially Sandtrap (vehicular combat).

With all the (new and current) vehicles, why not put great uses to them?

JdFoX187

Banned
Striker said:

Halo 2 had Waterworks, Coagulation, Headlong, Containment, Terminal, and Relic for medium-large based maps. I hope Halo 3 has a similar set. Valhalla and Sandtrap are a nice start, especially Sandtrap (vehicular combat).

IT'S ALIVE

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
Is this IGN article old? Just spotted it at HBO - apparantly part four of the videos shows Rocket Baseball.
Yep and here are the direct links to the flvs

Direct link to hi-res flv files of the IGN TGS07 Halo 3 demo. So you can download and watch them without the hassle. Seems like it's from that campaign level with the cool sky. Part 1 and 2 are campaign, part 3 and 4 are MP(forge and stuff).
Part 1 (campaign): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo1_092007_flvhighwide.flv
Part 2(campaign): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo2_092007_flvhighwide.flv
Part 3(MP): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo3_092007_flvhighwide.flv
Part 4(MP): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo4_092007_flvhighwide.flv

Walshicus

Striker said:

I hope they bring back Rat Race from Halo 1. Me and my mates had a no-shields Assault Rifle only slayer gametype for that map that just ruled...

Eric WK

GhaleonEB said:
Is this IGN article old? Just spotted it at HBO - apparantly part four of the videos shows Rocket Baseball.

Mentioned a few pages ago or so.

They don't actually have a Rocket Baseball type set up in this, rather they show an impromptu preview of how it works (pitching the rocket/hitting with grav. hammer).

JdFoX187

Banned
Cerrius said:
I agree. I'm still pissed the Hornet won't be included in any matchmaking playlists.
The Hornet is way too overpowered to be in matchmaking. Stinkles has said that numerous times. It's just like you hardly ever saw the Scorpion in matchmaking.

JdFoX187 said:
Blood Gulch/Coagulation is Halo multiplayer to me. I have logged hundreds of hours on those two maps alone. Sure, Valhalla is the spiritual successor and, in many ways, is superior. But it's just not Blood Gulch.

I have mentioned numerous times I hope Bungie does something like Ubisoft did with G.R.A.W. and release a throwback map pack. Have remakes of Blood Gulch, Damnation, Sidewinder, and one or two Halo 2 maps. Surely, they'll release more than one set of maps this time.

Okay... This is crazy, but I gotta ask...

Where's the Hang 'Em High successor for Halo 3?! That was my favorite Halo map, and just remembering that it was made available for Halo 2 means I'll be downloading it when I get home... :D

Ok, you lucky guys with Halo 3, time to stop playing around and answer some hard questions. Use spoilers tags for answers if necessary. :D

The Flood, how is it handled? I don't care about the story, I'm talking about gameplay here. Has the AI been improved in any way beyond having those guys rush you? If you remember the Bungie hype before Halo 2, they were talking about the Flood crawling on walls and what not, yet it never materialized. Anything like that?

Overall, how would you compare playing against Flood compared to Halo 1 and 2? Give me specifics, not general stuff. Some comments about the
Brute flood
would be nice too.

Are you fighting Elites at any point in the game?

Boss battles a la Halo 2, they ditched them completely, right?

There are really a lot of weapons in Halo 3, but it got me wondering if it forces the player to switch weapons because specific ammo goes missing sometimes. Is this a correct assumption or is there always more ammo around than you need?

Your favorite vehicule? To play with or play against?

No sequel is perfect so is there anything you miss from Halo 1 or 2 that is absent or not handled as well in part 3?

I like my snow stages, please confirm there are some in Halo 3 (Campaign).

That's about it for now, thanks for putting up with me.

thatbox

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:

I see what you're saying, but I really enjoy a good old fashioned CTF on Blood Gulch, or TS on Damnation, Longest or Chill Out. One of the groups of people I LAN with in Destrehan has never moved on to Halo 2 - we play Halo 1 exclusively, and I appreciate that, but that's just a really lucky break for me. It's harder to find people to play the classics with if classic-style gameplay isn't included in the new releases. I'm not really bitter or anything, just sort of dreaming about how nice it would be to have that nostalgic scene reinvigorated. I played a shitton of Halo over XBConnect and XLink, but when Halo 2 came out those communities pretty much died :(

jet1911

Tieno said:
Yep and here are the direct links to the flvs

Direct link to hi-res flv files of the IGN TGS07 Halo 3 demo. So you can download and watch them without the hassle. Seems like it's from that campaign level with the cool sky. Part 1 and 2 are campaign, part 3 and 4 are MP(forge and stuff).
Part 1 (campaign): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo1_092007_flvhighwide.flv
Part 2(campaign): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo2_092007_flvhighwide.flv
Part 3(MP): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo3_092007_flvhighwide.flv
Part 4(MP): http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox36...21311/halo3_tgs07demo4_092007_flvhighwide.flv

You're awesome.

Striker

Cerrius said:
I agree. I'm still pissed the Hornet won't be included in any matchmaking playlists.
I guess we'll find out how powerful it is on Tuesday.

I don't mind that not being included if it is too strong, but you have three types of Warthogs, Ghost, Prowler, Mongoose, and the Brute Chopper. That isn't including the Banshee, Wraith, and whatever else.

Last Resort will have some vehicles in it, too, I forgot.

Striker

DeejayKnight said:
Okay... This is crazy, but I gotta ask...

Where's the Hang 'Em High successor for Halo 3?! That was my favorite Halo map, and just remembering that it was made available for Halo 2 means I'll be downloading it when I get home... :D
It's called Tombstone.

JdFoX187

Banned
Striker said:
I guess we'll find out how powerful it is on Tuesday.

I don't mind that not being included if it is too strong, but you have three types of Warthogs, Ghost, Prowler, Mongoose, and the Brute Chopper. That isn't including the Banshee, Wraith, and whatever else.

Last Resort will have some vehicles in it, too, I forgot.
Last Resort has a shitload of vehicles. It's a lot bigger than Zanzibar too.

Striker said:
It's called Tombstone.

Halo 3...nub *slap*

I ended up giving at call to Gabe at Newegg to the number that was posted a few pages back. Left a vm for him, and got a call back with the quickness.. That dude rocks, is a pro, and got my shipping refunded when customer service wouldn't. Quality customer service guy, I am a lil less pissed now.

N.A

Banned
Note: I have only played up to mission 8 so some of my answers may not be accurate.

The Flood, how is it handled? I don't care about the story, I'm talking about gameplay here. Has the AI been improved in any way beyond having those guys rush you? If you remember the Bungie hype before Halo 2, they were talking about the Flood crawling on walls and what not, yet it never materialized. Anything like that?
They have new flood types, some can climb walls and some are like plants that shoot like those enemies in Half Life (forget their names).

Overall, how would you compare playing against Flood compared to Halo 1 and 2? Give me specifics, not general stuff. Some comments about the Brute flood would be nice too.
It now lives up to the name 'the flood', there are literally dozens of the bigger enemies on screen at once in some parts of the game

Are you fighting Elites at any point in the game?
No.

Boss battles a la Halo 2, they ditched them completely, right?
Yes.

There are really a lot of weapons in Halo 3, but it got me wondering if it forces the player to switch weapons because specific ammo goes missing sometimes. Is this a correct assumption or is there always more ammo around than you need?
You have to conserve ammo, though you almost always have a good choice of weapons available.

Your favorite vehicule? To play with or play against?
Hornet in single-player, mongoose in multi-player. Both to play with.

No sequel is perfect so is there anything you miss from Halo 1 or 2 that is absent or not handled as well in part 3?
Saving guest profiles (I know you can have silver acocunts but these cannot be used on live.

I like my snow stages, please confirm there are some in Halo 3 (Campaign).
Yes.

RunWhiteBoyRun said:
I ended up giving at call to Gabe at Newegg to the number that was posted a few pages back. Left a vm for him, and got a call back with the quickness.. That dude rocks, is a pro, and got my shipping refunded when customer service wouldn't. Quality customer service guy, I am a lil less pissed now.

So they wouldn't give you a refund on the whole thing but just on shipping?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hey, N.A., you're at mission 8, right? What's your total playtime so far?

_dd_ said:
Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler
Total Playtime on Heroic with 2 People:
Seven Hours and Twenty Two Minutes.

That's embarassing. Why the hell is it so short?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have a noobish question: I was playing halo 2 mp just a while ago and I'm useless when I get the Brute shot (I'm useless with other weapons too but that's a different story). How do you use that weapon effectively? Grenades bounce off and I never seem to kill anybody with it

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
RunWhiteBoyRun said:
They said they couldn't cancel, just have to refuse shipping.

I asked an online rep and a phone rep to send an email to the warehouse asking for it to canceled. They didn't promise anything, but I can't see how they won't get around to it with at least 2 days until it is supposed to ship.

While I didnt think the boss battles were awesome, I didn't know they were not including them. Hmmm news to me.

Also can someone please just tell me if they actually explain
the whole gravemind thing
in the campaign or it it sorta just left unexplained. Just curious if it plays a big part in the final installment or not.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Darunia said:
I have a noobish question: I was playing halo 2 mp just a while ago and I'm useless when I get the Brute shot (I'm useless with other weapons too but that's a different story). How do you use that weapon effectively? Grenades bounce off and I never seem to kill anybody with it

Aim at their feet or just in front of them so the grenades bounce into them and explode.

N.A

Banned
Chiggs said:
Hey, N.A., you're at mission 8, right? What's your total playtime so far?

Between 7-9 hours and I'm playing on normal. I have been exploring quite a bit though.

Edit: As long as you play on the right difficulty and don't rush I'm pretty sure it will take most people 8-12 hours.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Darunia said:

You can pretty much 2-3 shot someone with it if you hit them directly.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's obvious the playtime varies from person to person under different circumstances. You won't get a lock on the length of a first play through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom