• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
if we do get some GAF games going tonight, who should I add? :x my buddy list is kinda maxed out. I remember seeing something about adding a silver account and using the friends-of-friends thing to see everyone. Am I remembering weird things? D:

XSX

Sai-kun said:
if we do get some GAF games going tonight, who should I add? :x my buddy list is kinda maxed out. I remember seeing something about adding a silver account and using the friends-of-friends thing to see everyone. Am I remembering weird things? D:

I made a account: NeoGAF Halo . Send it a request and you should still be able to view it's friends list, as I won't be able to accept you tonight.

LukeSmith

Chinner said:
stinkles where are these new pics of maps
emot-argh.gif

Not today.

Sai-kun

Banned
XSX said:
I made a account: NeoGAF Halo . Send it a request and you should still be able to view it's friends list, as I won't be able to accept you tonight.

Okay, I'll add it at some point.

For the meantime, can I add you, Insaniac?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Stinkles said:
That logic still makes Saturdoh possible.
WWU said:
Next week, while folks are at GDC we're set to release the first bits of vague-free information about the long-discussed map OK Corall.
GDC is 18-22, so folks can't be at it on Saturday.

Thursdayton!

TDG

Banned
Ugh, I just played two games in a row in with complete Achievement Whores. In the first, a guy quit because he couldn't convince us to line up and let him laser us. Idiot.

Man, I'm not playing well. When I play every day, I'm pretty good (think consistant +5 or above K/D), but when I play every now and then, or jump in after not playing for a while, I'm a disaster.

The good news: Melee is better. Hooray.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Indeed, melee is much more satisfying, I think I just had 3 simul-deaths on guardian, and each was fully deserved.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to get off work and try out the melee. From what I've heard from you guys and elsewhere, folks are seeming to like it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Cocopjojo said:
I can't wait to get off work and try out the melee. From what I've heard from you guys and elsewhere, folks are seeming to like it.

Alas, no one likes the teabag mobile. What if we threw the general lee horn on it? Imagine this: You spot the enemy making a break for the cave on Valhalla. You throw the teabag mobile in full throttle towards his position. Just before he makes the cave, BOOM, splatter. The mobile is automatically stopped, hydraulics kick in, and the general lee horn plays.

GhaleonEB

A changelog was added to the Bungie article. No surprises, but nice to have a list.

(There are many, many more items in the change list which are not being published here, to prevent potential abuse, but none of these are major items.)

*Melee contests have been rebalanced

*Dying while performing a melee or weapon lunge will no longer accelerate the dead player

*The Elite Commando shoulder armor variant has been unlocked for all players

*Improved the “Prefer Good Connection” option

*Added backend hopper support for DLC custom game variants

*Fixed a problem with the Theater when a player tried to view a saved film for a DLC map he or she doesn’t own

*Fixed a UI error in the Theatre when a party leader selects a film that is invalid for a party client

*Fixed a bug that under rare conditions could allow a BXB sequence

*Fixed a Dirty Disc Error that could occur when loading the same DLC map twice in a row

*Added a visible version string to the Halo 3 main menu

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13280

Snowbound needs to be removed from Team Doubles. I basically go catatonic in self-defence against its awfulness as soon as it even appears on the matchmaking screen.

TDG

Banned
Insaniac said:
I hate snowbound.
I love Snowbound. I wish I could play it more often.

I also love Narrows. For some reason, I haven't played that map in a really long time.

I hate Last Resort, actually. I was never a huge fan of Zanzibar (in Slayer. It's a good CTF map), but the fact that it never gets veto'd is my main problem.

So really, I hate the veto system. I end up playing the same maps over and over, while certain maps never get accepted. It's a cool idea in theory, but you can't give the uneducated idiots in the community this kind of power. At this point, the veto system just annoys me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DopeyFish said:
they didn't fix the melees

still not dependant on TIME

twits

If they were dependent only on time (which is a factor) the host would win every time.

Twit.

Also: STINKLES' GUIDE TO DECAMPING SNOWBOUND CAMPERS

1. Get the Sniper and the Brute Shot. Preferably with a teammate. Have one of your team worry the campers at the large ramp/shield door where the shotgun spawns with the Brute Shot.

2. Have the Sniper headshot the defending campers as they emerge to deal with the threat.

3. Profit.

Note: You can switch roles and have the Brute Shot worry them from the pipe opening.

Insaniac

Stinkles said:
If they were dependent only on time (which is a factor) the host would win every time.

Twit.

1. Get the Sniper and the Brute Shot. Preferably with a teammate. Have one of your team worry the campers at the large ramp/shield door where the shotgun spawns with the Brute Shot.

2. Have the Sniper headshot the defending campers as they emerge to deal with the threat.

3. Profit.

Note: You can switch roles and have the Brute Shot worry them from the pipe opening.

This assumes your teammates aren't morons and get killed like lemmings.

edit: my general strategy is to just let my team mates do their thing (if they insist on not working together) and simply flank around to a side the campers aren't paying attention to. However my point about snowbound is that people camp the underground all the time. I don't hate it cause of the camping, I hate it cause it's boring, cause Snowbound, when combat is spread out all over the map is a great level, one of my favorites.

Deepblue

Banned
Snowbound Doubles is only good if you have a partner who knows what they are doing. And I can verify that Stinkles strategy is sound, as it is something I used extensively in VD Snowbound games.

Zezboob

Stinkles said:

3. Profit.

Works only if your team is winning.

Striker

Zezboob said:
Works only if your team is winning.
Not entirely. I do it well because I'm usually good at sticking people, even if I sacrifice. :)

People can also carry a Brute Shot or Mauler nearby the doors. Works wonderfully.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Stinkles said:
STINKLES' GUIDE TO DECAMPING SNOWBOUND CAMPERS

3. Profit.

If your partner will talk with you, this does works beauitifully. I saw my partner get a frenzy this way.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Stinkles said:

Twit.

O rly? Because I was rarely host in Halo 2 and don't remember this constant BS happening in there. it's called a combination of the two. which if this fix was supposedly supposed to fix the health/shields angle... why did i just die a couple times in a very low latency game with me shown as hitting first?

Honestly in Halo 2 I've only died under similar circumstances in what? maybe 3 games? And that was when the game had an AWFUL host. Yellow/red bars across the board

I know you want your game to be good for all the people out there who don't know that they shouldn't be using a 56k modem, or live out in the sticks or whatever

how about this - why don't you allow the alternative melee contest only run in bad network conditions?!

you only need to have it choose the wrong winner once in order for the system to be broken, but it still is happening every game. (oh and i've had undecided contests like 10 times across 3 games now... i've only had that happen in halo 2 about 20 times)

please stop making excuses... if you need to overhaul something then do it. Stop doing your community a disservice by bringing up your superior (yet less polished) previous series entries as a comparison point. you're pulling a mark penn here. soon you're going to say that halo 2 or what i say doesn't matter. I've only played 5,000 Halo 2 games.

But then again, why listen to me? If you would have listened to me after the beta ended you might have had more than 8000 people the skirmish playlists right now (social+team control+team skirmish) (that's sad) - but no... you were arrogant and brushed me off. I told you what was wrong with each and every one of those game types and how to fix them and they weren't.

oh hey you're doing it again after i'm telling you that something is still wrong. You can't play a game at a high level when results will be questionable - notice how CAL hasn't embraced Halo 3 in league form? ouch.

it's like playing a game of tennis and the ball lands on the line and instead of being decisive, it becomes anyones game - It's like someone scoring a goal in hockey that's allowed even though on my screen it was scored slightly after the buzzer

how is that in anyway fair?

Should I assume that the effort to fix problems in Halo 3 will be equal in quality to any future releases from Bungie? Hell... it took you guys like 3 months to fix the dummy glitch in Halo 2! you never fixed the skulls that fall through the ground... or the flags being grabbed through the wall... Or the hole that allowed the modding of the game files. You never even got around to fixing the superjumping glitch, either. So personally I don't expect you to care enough about the game itself or the community to actually do something about it instead of applying a band-aid. Approach the problem and correct it, damnit. Stop giving us half assed workarounds and excuses. We deserve better.

JdFoX187

Banned
DopeyFish said:
O rly? Because I was rarely host in Halo 2 and don't remember this constant BS happening in there. it's called a combination of the two. which if this fix was supposedly supposed to fix the health/shields angle... why did i just die a couple times in a very low latency game with me shown as hitting first?

Honestly in Halo 2 I've only died under similar circumstances in what? maybe 3 games? And that was when the game had an AWFUL host. Yellow/red bars across the board

I know you want your game to be good for all the people out there who don't know that they shouldn't be using a 56k modem, or live out in the sticks or whatever

how about this - why don't you allow the alternative melee contest only run in bad network conditions?!

you only need to have it choose the wrong winner once in order for the system to be broken, but it still is happening every game. (oh and i've had undecided contests like 10 times across 3 games now... i've only had that happen in halo 2 about 20 times)

please stop making excuses... if you need to overhaul something then do it. Stop doing your community a disservice by bringing up your superior (yet less polished) previous series entries as a comparison point. you're pulling a mark penn here. soon you're going to say that halo 2 or what i say doesn't matter. I've only played 5,000 Halo 2 games.

But then again, why listen to me? If you would have listened to me after the beta ended you might have had more than 8000 people the skirmish playlists right now (social+team control+team skirmish) (that's sad) - but no... you were arrogant and brushed me off. I told you what was wrong with each and every one of those game types and how to fix them and they weren't.

oh hey you're doing it again after i'm telling you that something is still wrong. You can't play a game at a high level when results will be questionable - notice how CAL hasn't embraced Halo 3 in league form? ouch.

it's like playing a game of tennis and the ball lands on the line and instead of being decisive, it becomes anyones game - It's like someone scoring a goal in hockey that's allowed even though on my screen it was scored slightly after the buzzer

how is that in anyway fair?

Should I assume that the effort to fix problems in Halo 3 will be equal in quality to any future releases from Bungie? Hell... it took you guys like 3 weeks to fix the dummy glitch in Halo 2! you never fixed the skulls that fall through the ground... or the flags being grabbed through the wall... Or the hole that allowed the modding of the game files. You never even got around to fixing the superjumping glitch, either. So personally I don't expect you to care enough about the game itself or the community to actually do something about it instead of applying a band-aid. Approach the problem and correct it, damnit. Stop giving us half assed workarounds and excuses. We deserve better.

You know, I actually agree with a lot of the stuff posted here. There's a lot of things we don't know about gaming and especially online gaming. A lot of these things aren't easy to fix, I should say.

But I've been saying for months after Halo 3 came out, if there was any other game that had these problems, it would not get near the praise Halo 3 got. I love it, but there are a lot of problems that I simply haven't run into in other games. And instead of doing minor fixes to things, like taking the invisibility out of Backwash in Halo 2 to stop the framerate lag, they remove the entire map.

There are a lot of things that can be fixed much more simply than what they are. And a lot of times, if someone brings up a valid complaint, they're met with sarcasm and insulting responses.

I've said my peace, I agree with Dopey.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
My only comment is that it seems like the current implementation is a good way to address host advantage, but it's applied to everyone. If this system applied to the host, but not when client-client combat I think people would be more understanding. But then I have no idea about the technical side; I recall the discussion about how host relationships are entirely different in Halo 3 compared to Halo 2 in the last podcast. But it does sound like the solution created a problem for all of the clients, when it's the host alone that has the advantage.

That said, I have yet to try the updated melee out (that's tonight), and lots of people have said it's better now than before. I'll probably be quite happy with improvement, even if it's not perfect.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GhaleonEB said:
That said, I have yet to try the updated melee out (that's tonight), and lots of people have said it's better now than before. I'll probably be quite happy with improvement, even if it's not perfect.

don't get me wrong, it's a bit better but it's still not a solution to the original problem.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
My only comment is that it seems like the current implementation is a good way to address host advantage, but it's applied to everyone. If this system applied to the host, but not when non-hosts (probably a better term to use there) were in a melee battle I think people would be more understanding. But then I have no idea about the technical side; I recall the discussion about how host relationships are entirely different in Halo 3 compared to Halo 2 in the last podcast. But it does sound like the solution created a problem for everyone, when it's the host alone that has the advantage.

Maybe client?

I'll just throw my own couple cents in: Even though melee still might not be perfect, it is so much more satisfying. I've played about 10 games today since the update, and I haven't encountered anything that's made me anywhere near as aggravated as I was before.

Next on the list for me: Spawn aggravations and shenaniganry.

Blueblur1

Stinkles said:

Twit.

3. Profit.

What if they're camping the Sniper Base and constantly picking up a fresh Beam Rifle?

(I know what I would do, I'm just curious as to how you would approach that situation.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Blueblur1 said:
What if they're camping the Sniper Base and constantly picking up a fresh Beam Rifle?

(I know what I would do, I'm just curious as to how you would approach that situation.)

Camp the sniper respawn and melee the guy coming for the replacement. Two birds with one stone.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Yes, that's it.

*smacks forehead*

It's as if I felt the need to illustrate even further that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Its okay, we'll keep you around for the story-accompanying screenshot awesomnesses. ;)

t4ng0

Stinkles said:
Camp the sniper respawn and melee the guy coming for the replacement. Two birds with one stone.
how do you get in the sniper base(easily) when they are camping it? - crouch walking is unlikely if they're even semi-covering the bottom passage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom