• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Falagard said:
Woohoo, my GeeVee video finally finished. I think it took about a week for it to be processed.

Hero of Awesome

The setup: I'm playing social capture the flag, and my team sucks. The other team has the flag and is about to capture it when I step up and save the day.

http://www.geevee.com/index.php?p=viewvideo&v=115902

Thats ...................... its.....................so...........................wow. I bet you were like "FUCK YEAH!"

Bearillusion said:
When playing for score is it possible to save and quit and resume later? Whenever I do this it no longer shows the score.

Stupid Halo 3. I've completed it on legendary and still can't stop playing it.

Can anyone help?

Falagard

BladedExpert said:
Thats ...................... its.....................so...........................wow. I bet you were like "FUCK YEAH!"

Yup. Before that I was yelling into my microphone "Guys? Guys where are you... " and then when I realized that the rest of the team were across the map, I was like "Okay, I guess it's all me". I noticed the flag carrier had rockets on his back, so as soon as I shot him I picked them up, tossed a nade and fired them at the other two guys on my radar. Then I cleaned the rest up and returned the flag.

Then I said "Fuck yeah". Twice.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Falagard said:
Woohoo, my GeeVee video finally finished. I think it took about a week for it to be processed.

Hero of Awesome

The setup: I'm playing social capture the flag, and my team sucks. The other team has the flag and is about to capture it when I step up and save the day.

http://www.geevee.com/index.php?p=viewvideo&v=115902

Wow. they just felt like rushing. I'm surprised I didn't see a 'nade spam... a very nice vid.

Insaniac

Falagard said:
Yup. Before that I was yelling into my microphone "Guys? Guys where are you... " and then when I realized that the rest of the team were across the map, I was like "Okay, I guess it's all me". I noticed the flag carrier had rockets on his back, so as soon as I shot him I picked them up, tossed a nade and fired them at the other two guys on my radar. Then I cleaned the rest up and returned the flag.

Then I said "Fuck yeah". Twice.

I bet the other team felt mad crunchy.

crunchy

DD-11

Yeah, patch is good, but I was never really bothered by the old system. I'm still bothered by constant and unrelenting grenade spam though, but that isn't about to change.

Count me among those who didn't mind the old melee system. Before the update, I had been winning quite a few more melee battles than I ever did in Halo 2-- but I'd bet it was mostly due to my introducing more fools to the butt of my gun. I just played a couple of post-update matches and the melee does seem a bit more consistent, but I never cared to analyze the old system enough to see what all the griping was about. I'm glad most of those who did have issues seem to be satisfied now, though.

One thing I will miss seeing is bodies (mine included!) careening across the map after each blow, but I'll try and cope somehow.

Blueblur1

Spaceman Spiff said:
One thing I will miss seeing is bodies (mine included!) careening across the map after each blow, but I'll try and cope somehow.
Don't worry too much. My corpse went flying across Snowbound tonight.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
Yeah it's great - though I never really had a problem with the old one like everyone else ;-)
Well, I was. I bitched to high heaven about it here and in the online thread. It was to the point where after only a few games of MP, I stopped playing. I resumed a couple months after launch when it was clear a fix wasn't immanent, and spent a few weeks just forging in Foundry to scratch the creative itch. Then I stuck to playlists focused on ranged and vehicular combat just to avoid it (BTB, DLC). I'm going to explore the tactical, squad playlists tomorrow, but my first night in Team Slayer (to build up some connection history) was good. Mêlée felt correct. I'm thrilled.

Also, bungie.net is down for me. Anyone else?

FightyF

Banned
I came in here planning to ask when the new maps will become free, and I see news of an update?

I think this sorta news should be a new thread...it's pretty big news IMO.

Gonna read on and catch up to see what it's all about...

Oh, anyone know when the new maps will be free? Personally I don't mind paying $5 for them, but nothing higher as I have to buy it for multiple 360s at home.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
FightyF said:
I came in here planning to ask when the new maps will become free, and I see news of an update?

Oh, anyone know when the new maps will be free? Personally I don't mind paying $5 for them, but nothing higher as I have to buy it for multiple 360s at home.

>< If it wasn't for Recon haxorz out there, I would've gifted you the points to buy the map pack.

Anyways, a Master Ninja has been asking for a new thread on the H3 AU as well so that more people know about it.

Ghaleon, what do you say?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
FightyF said:

Yeah, I think we need a thread title change.

And the new maps will be free sometime in April (or around then).

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
>< If it wasn't for Recon haxorz out there, I would've gifted you the points to buy the map pack.

Anyways, a Master Ninja has been asking for a new thread on the H3 AU as well so that more people know about it.

Ghaleon, what do you say?
Want me to start one?
Ramirez said:
Bah, anyone who cares about Halo on this board reads this thread. :p
Some people quit playing MP because of melee. Might want to know Bungie's fix is out so they can test it out. Mega threads are hard to keep up with. Heck, most people glancing at this thread would think we're still just bitching about Snowbound.

Which isn't to say that we're not. :p

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
Want me to start one?

Some people quit playing MP because of melee. Might want to know Bungie's fix is out so they can test it out. Mega threads are hard to keep up with. Heck, most people glancing at this thread would think we're still just bitching about Snowbound.

Which isn't to say that we're not. :p

You're the boss, boss.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My Halo 3 LE 360 freezes whenever I change my motto in the lobby. Has this happened to you guys?

fin

urk said:
You have to give Stinkles your gamertag.

Frankie, it's Urk the Red. Hook him up. He's being patient.

Also, the moon patrol warthog is going to be so awesome.

Stinkles said:
Yes. It should just show up in your armor perms. Give it a day or so.

Another poster gave me your gamertag, "Urk the Red."

Am I missing something???

fin

Stinkles said:
Not really. Once you rob these people of their shotgun, they get kind of lost.

I would replace the Shotgun with a Rocket Launcher/Spartan Laser and the Spartan Laser with a Human Sniper. Why?

-this would provide more reasons to NOT drive the Ghost.

-Rockets/Laser results in less kills than a shotgun

- since Rockets/Laser is a better long range weapon. It would promote more movement on the map, not just campuhrs pampurz.

DD-11

fin said:
I would replace the Shotgun with a Rocket Launcher/Spartan Laser and the Spartan Laser with a Human Sniper. Why?

- since Rockets/Laser is a better long range weapon. It would promote more movement on the map, not just campuhrs pampurz.

That's a pretty good idea. Although, I don't mind the shotguns anyway, I don't find they dominante the map much at all really. Just don't go down there and they'll come up or use multiple entrances at once.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Melee is better. Not fixed. After playing a few games, I've had three simul-deaths and about the same amount of close-calls that I felt like I should have won or at least tied.

It may just be in my mind, but the melee feels better; like, just using it. Like it's quicker or something. It feels really good.

I wish the whole 80-100 ms thing would just go away, but after five months of what we've had, this new system definitely feels good.

GhaleonEB

Now that the Update stuff has been spun off, and my replacement TV is hooked up, I can return this thread to its proper use: spamming it with screens. Mwahahahaha.

One of the things I love about saved films is spotting stuff I didn't see while playing the game. So here I was, honking for someone to hop in and shoot dudes with me.

01-poorpitifulme.jpg

What I didn't spot was actually happeing right in front of me. One of our Choppers was chasing a Warthog, which chose to flee over the ruin our sniper was firing from.

02-OMGWFT.jpg

He didn't quite make it.

03-blinkandyoumiss.jpg

The sniper's perspective is hilarious, as a flaming Warthog flies right over head and blows a moment later. He was clearly scoped at the time because his reaction was to jump straight up, startled shitless. :lol

Anyhoo. I hopped out and wander off. I was after the missle pod, but it was gone. Sad face. The trip mine was all that was left, which is a poor substitute. I don't think I've ever actually killed a vehicle with a trip mine before.

04-ohneatwhatsthat.jpg

But hey, there's a first time for everything. Here comes the other Warthog.

05-herecomestrouble.jpg

Of course, the odds of planting it just right are slim. It has to drive right past me.....

06-theregoestrouble.jpg

...oh hey look at that.

07-herecomesbuttseks.jpg

The gunner actually stopped firing for a second. I think he spotted it. His driver, who was decked out in matching armor and ODST helmet, did not.

08-iseebuttseks.jpg

Spontanious syncronized swimming ensued.

09-letsgoswimmingbob.jpg

I think there's a lot of lost opportunity in the equipment. The trip mine seems to have a lot of potential, but in the process of making it less of a griefing tool it stopped being as useful as it could be. The portable turret is another piece of equipment that could be awesome with an overhaul. Now that mêlée is addressed I'd love to see the next update go after equipment. In MP, only the bubble shield and power drain really seem to be used much. The flare, trip mine, turret and radar jammer seem to be minimized. I'd like to see them tweaked and in more heavy rotation.
Cocopjojo said:
Melee is better. Not fixed. After playing a few games, I've had three simul-deaths and about the same amount of close-calls that I felt like I should have won or at least tied.

It may just be in my mind, but the melee feels better; like, just using it. Like it's quicker or something. It feels really good.

I wish the whole 80-100 ms thing would just go away, but after five months of what we've had, this new system definitely feels good.
Agree. It feels more satisfying somehow, and the frequency of the frustrating timing issue is reduced, and replaced with simultaneous kills. Not perfect, but it's enough of an improvement that I'm happy. For now, at least. :p

Metroidvania

fin said:

But that defeats the purpose of the underground area. Rockets would have far too much splash damage for the enclosed space, and moving the laser to the bunker could have the undesirable effect of letting the ghost roam around more freely.

With two snipers, too, people would be much more wary of going outside. While admittedly, personal experience doesn't mean jack overall, in most of my games, I almost never see the Beam rifle really used beyond one or two kills.

edit: Nice to see the trip mine utilized, finally got my "in for some chop" achievement with it on BTB.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Cocopjojo said:

I think that now its just a psychological factor which is affecting your perception of the melee. I mean, by default humans always tend to think they should have won in situations when they didn't deserve to win. I can't aim for shit, and thus the majority of my kills are done with the melee. I never felt what was wrong with it, and even now after the update, I do not see whats different, saving the fact I already had one multi-kill with melee. Thats all. I assume that given the fact that I melee with every opportunity I have I should at least "feel" (because I do understand) whats all the fuss is about, but nope.

GhaleonEB said:
The flare, trip mine, turret and radar jammer seem to be minimized. I'd like to see them tweaked and in more heavy rotation.

Are the flare and radar jammer in MP? I have only seen them on custom maps and forge.

Metroidvania

roosters93 said:
Are the flare and radar jammer in MP? I have only seen them on custom maps and forge.

Flare was at one point, on Isolation, on the very top of the shotgun "pillar". Radar Jammer was somewhere on Narrows, I can't quite remember where....

But I think they might were removed from matchmaking at some point.

GhaleonEB

roosters93 said:
I know I've seen the radar jammer in there, but I think it was pulled in a recent playlist update. You might be right about the flare. It has some great potential uses in MP, I'd love to see it in there.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Flare used to be on Guardian/Isolation, and the jammer was on Last Resort and Narrows...maybe more, that's all I remember.
The radar jammer would actually be great on Snowbound, as it would make it so the guys camping with the shotgun wouldn't know where the attackers were coming from.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Right now I'm experiencing a renaissance with Halo 3 after quitting in december because every time either snowbound would come up in lone wolves or an interesting gametype would come up and everyone would veto and then we would get snowbound. The problem is that I am horrible at this game but I love it so much at the same time.
I've started reviewing films to see what I can change, and am curious if a) there is one film (based on the host?) for each game or b) there is one film for each client, per game. Once I clicked through one frame-by-frame and saw myself land two BR headshots on an unshielded opponent, which he lived through to land one BR headshot on me (with ~10% shield left) resulting in my death what the heck!

Striker

Metroidvania said:
Flare was at one point, on Isolation, on the very top of the shotgun "pillar". Radar Jammer was somewhere on Narrows, I can't quite remember where....

But I think they might were removed from matchmaking at some point.
Flare, I recall, was in Isolation and Guardian (above Shotgun room).

Radar Jammer was in Last Resort and Narrows at one point. Think it's removed, though I don't know why.

My fave is still the power drainer. Players try to drive quickly near the base in Last Resort and I drop the drainer close to the wheel and it shuts them down. I usually stand near the turret which is placed near the small tower side. Almost always gets somebody, whether it's a single Mongoose or a loaded Warthog. Greatness! :)

GhaleonEB said:
The radar jammer would actually be great on Snowbound, as it would make it so the guys camping with the shotgun wouldn't know where the attackers were coming from.
Indeed. I think the three best maps for a radar jammer is Last Resort (which is where it was in the beta, at least), Snowbound, and High Ground (for those who camp with Shotgun in the base waiting for a poor soul to jump in and sacrifice himself for a flag grab).

Metroidvania

Anyone else ever....

wallhackelephant.jpg

shoot a spartan laser through the side of an elephant?

Don't know if it's supposed to or not.....but it was interesting. I bet the blue guy wasn't happy, though......

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Metroidvania said:
Anyone else ever....

shot a spartan laser through the side of an elephant?

Don't know if it's supposed to or not.....but it was interesting. I bet the blue guy wasn't happy, though......[/QUOTE]
Wow! That's awesome.

Trasher

Metroidvania said:
What do you mean? The NAT thing? Or something else?
I mean that ever since the update I can't join my buddies party anymore. I know Frankie said there were going to be some lag issues because of the auto update, and that it would take some playing to get your connection reestablished and whatnot. I just hope it doesn't take too long. :(

GhaleonEB said:

That would be awesome. I played a custom game on Guardian with a flare and it was very fun. Throw it in and it blinds your opponents but if you don't throw it that well, they get an outline of you.

You would think they would have kept them when there is a bubble shield and power drain on every map. (except Guardian and a few others I might not remember)
But most maps definitely have them.

fin

DD-11 said:
That's a pretty good idea. Although, I don't mind the shotguns anyway, I don't find they dominante the map much at all really. Just don't go down there and they'll come up or use multiple entrances at once.

IMO that's what's wrong with the map. If you don't have the shotgun its too risky to use the entire map, thus making it semi-broken.

Have you tried telling someone you don't know to quit running underground? Sometimes people just don't get it.

Metroidvania said:
But that defeats the purpose of the underground area. Rockets would have far too much splash damage for the enclosed space, and moving the laser to the bunker could have the undesirable effect of letting the ghost roam around more freely.

With two snipers, too, people would be much more wary of going outside. While admittedly, personal experience doesn't mean jack overall, in most of my games, I almost never see the Beam rifle really used beyond one or two kills.

edit: Nice to see the trip mine utilized, finally got my "in for some chop" achievement with it on BTB.

-Rockets can also be used long range, ex. if you have BR and Rocks you could sneak up on any of the snipers.

-With a full rocket you would be limited to a maximum of 4-6(?) kills, with the shotgun you potentially could get twice the number of kills.

-I use the Beam rifle all the time. It gives me less reasons to venture underground and get shotgunned.

-I could see the 2 snipers being a problem if one team got both of them. Although, on an open map like snowbound it's fairly easy to take out the sniper with BR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom