• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fin

GhaleonEB said:
The radar jammer would actually be great on Snowbound, as it would make it so the guys camping with the shotgun wouldn't know where the attackers were coming from.

qft

That's a good idea.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Why is Frankenluke/Lukeles/Frankems no longer in the OP, the title hasn't made sense for months.

vxeoog.jpg

I love the trip mine to kill regular players and not warthogs, best thing to do is throw it over your flag in ctf games, 9 out of 10 times the enemy runs for the flag without care of a flashing orange plate below their feet.

Or place it near enemy vehicle spawns on rats nest, both mongooses go up in flames :lol

Dispite their average power though it's a shame the maps are limited to about 4 mines (?) in forge, coating some areas in them would have been amazing.

Blueblur1

Kuroyume said:
Does the auto update have any effect on melee game types like swords?
It might. I'm not too sure as the only sword match I played yesterday was an easy win for me. I had like 2 clash battles and the rest were straight kills.

Daigoro

holy crap, theres a melle fix update? :eek:

badass. i havent played since Rock Band came out, but ive been itching to lately. unfortunately i dont yet own a 360, so i have to put in all my hours at a friends house. i need to fix that...

godhandiscen said:
I think that now its just a psychological factor which is affecting your perception of the melee. I mean, by default humans always tend to think they should have won in situations when they didn't deserve to win. I can't aim for shit, and thus the majority of my kills are done with the melee. I never felt what was wrong with it, and even now after the update, I do not see whats different, saving the fact I already had one multi-kill with melee. Thats all. I assume that given the fact that I melee with every opportunity I have I should at least "feel" (because I do understand) whats all the fuss is about, but nope.

so true. i allways think i should have won the melee battle. :lol

but it feels broken because its different than the past games. it allways felt very right, and in H3 it just dosent. im glad they are working on making some changes to it, even if the difference is slight.

XSX

bahahah Ghaleon, I love how you called it synchronized swimming. I had that happen to me once, when I threw a random grenade on valhalla.

ShinAmano

Insaniac said:
big meh at #2. Ooh look I can snipes people as they respawn!

The more impressive fact is that the entire team managed to that team into that one little respawn area, creating that massacre.

wow at karma on construct, just wow.

ShinAmano said:
I will give it to those guys..their skill is awesome, but what type of scrubs were they playing...almost all of the people in those videos were on killing frenzies.

Now if they are playing people equal in skill you should not be getting those that often. Like I said though they have skill...best Halo players...still questionable.

I heard some big MLG names on the victim side - Walshy, Strongside

And !!! at the midair stick. I'm a sucker for stickies

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ShinAmano said:
Now if they are playing people equal in skill you should not be getting those that often. Like I said though they have skill...best Halo players...still questionable.

Dude, they were playing the best players MLG has to offer.

Dirtbag

Was the insane length of the mauler lunge addressed in the patch? I havent had time to properly test it out.

Melees feel better, but I still prefer the host always wins in a 3 frame contest option. That's life I guess.

Thanks for the patch, none-the-less.

EDIT: I can't get that espn video to load on a Mac! Also anyone notice the RROD at the top of the page :lol

EDIT 2: Got it to load finally! Holy shit at some of those snipes.

ShinAmano

Revengeance said:
I heard some big MLG names on the victim side - Walshy, Strongside

And !!! at the midair stick. I'm a sucker for stickies
As with MLG...I have heard about it, but how do players get into it? Tournaments? It just seems odd to claim 'best players' when the field is not open to all challengers...

Dirtbag

ShinAmano said:
As with MLG...I have heard about it, but how do players get into it? Tournaments? It just seems odd to claim 'best players' when the field is not open to all challengers...

Make a team and climb the ladders.
mlgpro.com

You dont just get to challenge the heavy weight champion of the world because you can throw a punch, and feel like boxing.

ShinAmano

Dirtbag 504 said:
Make a team and climb the ladders.
mlgpro.com

You dont just get to challenge the heavy weight champion of the world because you can throw a punch, and feel like boxing.
So $50 to enter a team...not bad. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think I know 3 other players that can play on high levels...and the three that could now only play CoD4 :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ShinAmano said:
So $50 to enter a team...not bad. I would do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think I know 3 other players that can play on high levels...and the three that could now only play CoD4 :(

I think you're underestimating the skill level, especially for team play. Some of these guys practice for hours everyday against other pro teams. It's almost non-stop Halo strategy for plenty of the players in that video.

Like electricpirate noted, the reason that those spawn snipes were possible in the ESPN video is because the rest of the team has set up dominant positions around the map and there's no safe place for the opposing team to spawn. It's insane levels of map control, weapon timing, and amazing verbal coordination along with familiarity with squad tendencies.

Some of them are netting five and six figure contracts.

ShinAmano

urk said:
I think you're underestimating the skill level, especially for team play. Some of these guys practice for hours everyday against other pro teams. It's almost non-stop Halo strategy for plenty of the players in that video.

Like electricpirate noted, the reason that those spawn snipes were possible in the ESPN video is because the rest of the team has set up dominant positions around the map and there's no safe place for the opposing team to spawn. It's insane levels of map control, weapon timing, and insane levels of verbal coordination along with familiarity with squad tendencies.

Some of them are netting five and six figure contracts.
I give them all the credit...I honestly think with a team of three others on at least my level of play could do well...you have not played with me yet...

the team I used to roll with rarely if ever lost, until they went to CoD4 :(

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
That construct purple lift snipe is amazing. And the announcer....calm down, sir. Please. :lol

And I can only echo the spawn trap. Holy crap.

...Did anyone catch if for the #1 highlight, when the announcer said perfection with only headshots...did he mean a medal, or just only headshots as opposed to body shots?

Dirtbag

ShinAmano said:
I give them all the credit...I honestly think with a team of three others on at least my level of play could do well...you have not played with me yet...

Maybe so, but lets add to that the pressure of playing for a check of 100,000 dollars at a LAN tournament in front of a crowd of thousands... and have your screen televised in front of them.... Now how steady is your shooting?

People forget these guys are playing for tons of money, and to them, a 3 frame window on a melee could be the difference between 50-100 grand.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ShinAmano said:

Oh, I'm not disparaging your play, good sir. I'm just saying these aren't teams of really good players. They're teams of really good players that play with each other several hours a day against other teams of really good players.

It's basically their job. If you're a great player and you and a few friends want to make it your job, then sure, I bet you could do well.

Those guys just operate on a different level

Strongside's stats
Kills : 14472
Deaths : 4859
K/D Ratio : 2.98

my stats lol
Kills : 4028
Deaths : 3979
K/D Ratio : 1.01

I don't have Max PL's obsession with MLG... but I said wow

t4ng0

exactly urk- i like to consider myself a pretty good player: won a halo 2 tournament against some lower-tier mlg'ers pretty easily with random teammates.

But my skill is weak compared to the top 20 players out there, and there's no way I could dedicate the hours needed to get to the top.

ShinAmano

Dirtbag 504 said:
Maybe so, but lets add to that the pressure of playing for a check of 100,000 dollars at a LAN tournament in front of a crowd of thousands... and have your screen televised in front of them.... Now how steady is your shooting?

People forget these guys are playing for tons of money, and to them, a 3 frame window on a melee could be the difference between 50-100 grand.
Is that what the tourney prize is? Wow...how many a year?

GhaleonEB

I have nothing but awe for those guys. I remember a sniper match on Valhalla where it became apparent instantly that one guy on the other team was a in a whole other league from us - we dropped to something like 1-11 in about 30 seconds as the same guy racked up one headshot after another.

And the MLG stuff in that vid is far above what we ran into. It was a bit too focused on sniper no-scopes, but some of the other moves - like the mid-air stick - were astounding.

ShinAmano

Dirtbag 504 said:
not real sure on how many a year, but yeah, they play for a ton of money.
A win would net 25k a person...it would not be a bad gig if there were enough tourneys to win at least 4 a year. Still in games I love true skill...and in order to be the best you have to play the best. I would like to know their sensitivity settings.

Damn now I wish i were at home so i could fire up some right now.

Dirtbag

ShinAmano said:
A win would net 25k a person...it would not be a bad gig if there were enough tourneys to win at least 4 a year. Still in games I love true skill...and in order to be the best you have to play the best. I would like to know their sensitivity settings.

Damn now I wish i were at home so i could fire up some right now.

but top players usually get contracts for MLG of around 250,000 a year in addition to prize earnings. Those guys are playing for tons of cash... way more than 25k a person.

Check this ESPN article out about it:
So you wanna be a professional video game player?

Most play at 3-4 sensitivity. Suprising eh?

ShinAmano

Dirtbag 504 said:
but top players usually get contracts for MLG of around 250,000 a year in addition to prize earnings. Those guys are playing for tons of cash... way more than 25k a person.

Check this ESPN article out about it:
So you wanna be a professional video game player?

Most play at 3-4 sensitivity. Suprising eh?
^--Not at all...I had a high sensitivity on halo 2...but in three it did not work out with the BR and certainly not the sniper...If only this MLG was around when i was a teenager...

scarybore

Ghost Town looks very nice, a bit different from what I would usually expect from a Halo map. Hopefully it doesn't remind me too much of Warlock as that wasn't one of the more enjoyable maps, but a Lockout/Sanctuary direction sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom