• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kuroyume said:
How do you control a map in Lone Wolves? Tell me

Easy. In the pre game lobby, when they ask you how you got Recon, you say,

"You have to walk backwards into another player who has Recon already."

Mash

Cocopjojo said:
No, you have to play through the whole game on Legendary to fulfill the "completed on Legendary" requirement. Including watching the first cutscene on Legendary.

If you're a fan of the first two games, I'd say go for it - my solo Legendary playthrough was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. But I'm really into the story, so that played a major role in my enjoyment of it.

Damn, I guess that's fair but I don't really have time. Perhaps I'll save doing that with friends later in the year.

Kuroyume said:
Construct is a big pile of shit. Everyone pretty much plays at the top level, and getting there is a bit of a hassle when you have to use those three lifts. You're vulnerable each and every time you use them, even after you lob a bunch of grenades up there. You could go the long way and walk up the ramp, but that leaves you vulnerable. It's a camper's paradise.
I agree. This scenario is made even worse in Doubles.

fin

the disgruntled gamer said:
That's why you give the battlers on the purple lifts a surprise by going up the gold lift or ramps.

But going up the gold lift or the sword ramps dosen't give you a vantage point to shoot from. While people can camp in the place between the two purple lifts (the area with the unbreakable windows). This area only has 4 access points, from the purple lifts, from the sword ramp, and from sniper island.

I don't really hate it, but it's an instant veto.

ShinAmano

fin said:
But going up the gold lift or the sword ramps dosen't give you a vantage point to shoot from. While people can camp in the place between the two purple lifts (the area with the unbreakable windows). This area only has 4 access points, from the purple lifts, from the sword ramp, and from sniper island.

I don't really hate it, but it's an instant veto.
The laser is an often forgotten weapon on this map...you can get to 75% of the top areas with it from the middle level...

TDG

Banned
ShinAmano said:
The laser is an often forgotten weapon on this map...you can get to 75% of the top areas with it from the middle level...
The laser can work wonders for dealing with campers. It's almost always avalible too.

I didn't mean to start an argument about whether the map is good or not, I just always liked the map, thought other GAFers liked the map, and thought most people liked it due to it being rarely vetoed in my experience. I've had many people camping on the map before, but it's never really been a huge problem for me, so I was surprised to see so many people having so much trouble.

ShinAmano

I actually like the map a lot...but I really don't have a problem with any of them...I just like to play...and regardless of what map i am out there to have a good time.

t4ng0

its the only map where you can call out locations like "left teste" "tip of the shaft" "1 right ball moving towards base of shaft"

this = win.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Domino Theory said:
There's always someone camping the gold lift by crouching near it while he has an endless supply of frag grenades right underneath him.

Always.

No, you have to play through the whole game on Legendary to fulfill the "completed on Legendary" requirement. Including watching the first cutscene on Legendary.

Ooh, have fun with Cortana....by myself, still haven't finished it. Keep getting distracted by multi.

Wrong. If anything, the mid-sized maps are Halo 3's strongest lineup. Halo 3 needs at least two more big BTB maps.

I definitely wouldn't mind another BTB map. Somewhere between Valhalla and Sandtrap in size.

ts the only map where you can call out locations like "left teste" "tip of the shaft" "1 right ball moving towards base of shaft"

this = win.

I've never made that mental leap until right now.

TDG

Banned
ShinAmano said:
I actually like the map a lot...but I really don't have a problem with any of them...I just like to play...and regardless of what map i am out there to have a good time.
You're telling me you don't veto all except two maps, giving the game less variety? Maybe you use yor vetoes wisely, instead of just vetoing because you like the idea of having some power? What about screaming at people to veto? You just sit back and enjoy playing?

If true, give this man some recon armor, Bungie.

ShinAmano

the disgruntled gamer said:
You're telling me you don't veto all except two maps, giving the game less variety? Maybe you use yor vetoes wisely, instead of just vetoing because you like the idea of having some power? What about screaming at people to veto? You just sit back and enjoy playing?

If true, give this man some recon armor, Bungie.
People yelling cracks me up...if it gets offensive the mute button is really easy to push...and most of the games I play are with either real life friends or long time Xbox live friends...some are skilled some are not, but either way my team is always about having a good time...the other team well that is up to them :)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Stinkles said:
Halo3_DLC2_GhostTown_01.jpg

orly

Veto...VETO...VEEEETO
Veto, veto, veto, veto.

Just thought I'd get that out of the way for everyone.

Mash

squatingyeti said:
Veto...VETO...VEEEETO
Veto, veto, veto, veto.

Just thought I'd get that out of the way for everyone.

vito_spatafore_1.jpg

(No doubt done before but I'm new to Halo 3)

P.s. what the heck is recon?

mileS

New map looks amazing! can't wait to try it. I haven't touched Halo 3 for a month or so now but i'm finally getting some strong urges to start playing again.

I'd like to see more of those ESPN MLG clips in the future. That was really cool.

was "shitloads of fantastical lag" part of the update as well?

'cause even when i search for prefer good connection the games are laggy as fuck. and the searches TAKE FOREVER when it's constantly restarting on you.

fucking hell...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
WickedLaharl said:

'cause even when i search for prefer good connection the games are laggy as fuck. and the searches TAKE FOREVER when it's constantly restarting on you.

fucking hell...

Hosting records were reset. Matchmaking is learning. Countdown to wide awake and physical: 10:01:16

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
WickedLaharl said:

fucking hell...
Actually, it was part of the update, yes. AUs reset everyone's hosting history, so it'll be a day or two or three for everything to get back to normal.

when then i picked a bad time to buy the new maps then :[

i like the change to the melee, but i miss how it used to launch you half way across the map sometimes.

GhaleonEB

Insaniac said:
the lag was really screwing with my BRing :(
Mine too. I mostly stuck to vehicles in BTB because of it. But I recall the same kind of stuff happening for the first few days I played online before the patch came out.

EazyB

Banned
The new map looks fantastic so far. It's weird though, because right after I saw the screens and got hyped I immediately got angry knowing that I won't be able to play normal MM on them. Looking forward to the Heroic Pack being thrown in the mix though.

On the subject of lag, I've been playing a lot of ranked BTB since the patch was released and only had one game with a ton of lag. The melee feels different to me, but I can't really put my finger on it, never really understood what was so bad about the game's original system so I may not fully know what I'm looking for. I've only had one simultaneous death but it was when I was carrying the oddball so I kinda felt cheated but I suppose I'll get used to it.

And if anyone wants to play BTB with me, I'm on the NeoGaf Halo friends list and playing almost every night. Shoot me a FR.

LukeSmith

EazyB said:
The new map looks fantastic so far. It's weird though, because right after I saw the screens and got hyped I immediately got angry knowing that I won't be able to play normal MM on them. Looking forward to the Heroic Pack being thrown in the mix though.

On the subject of lag, I've been playing a lot of ranked BTB since the patch was released and only had one game with a ton of lag. The melee feels different to me, but I can't really put my finger on it, never really understood what was so bad about the game's original system so I may not fully know what I'm looking for. I've only had one simultaneous death but it was when I was carrying the oddball so I kinda felt cheated but I suppose I'll get used to it.

And if anyone wants to play BTB with me, I'm on the NeoGaf Halo friends list and playing almost every night. Shoot me a FR.

Just to generally throw this out there.
When you say "Normal MM"-- do you mean ranked? There's the Heroic DLC list now and there's definitely a plan in place to have upcoming DLC maps in a separate unranked hopper again, but would folks want to see a ranked hopper that has a mix of DLC and regular maps that is only available to folks who've purchased the most recent DLC?

I'm not making a promise or anything, I just would like some feedback that I could pass up the chain on this.

Striker

LukeSmith said:
When you say "Normal MM"-- do you mean ranked? There's the Heroic DLC list now and there's definitely a plan in place to have upcoming DLC maps in a separate unranked hopper again, but would folks want to see a ranked hopper that has a mix of DLC and regular maps that is only available to folks who've purchased the most recent DLC?

I'm not making a promise or anything, I just would like some feedback that I could pass up the chain on this.
Can't you guys do that for Team Slayer, Team Objective, and other ranked playlists, if need be?

EDIT:

Yes, I kind of misunderstood :p

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
For me, it would definitely motivate me to buy the map pack, rather than wait, like I am with the heroic.

But out of curiosity, what might the potential new hopper be?

TDG

Banned
LukeSmith said:

Yes, I very much would. But what I really want is for the Heroic map pack maps to be required for playing matchmaking after they are made free. This is critical in my opinion.

LukeSmith

Metroidvania said:
For me, it would definitely motivate me to buy the map pack, rather than wait, like I am with the heroic.

But out of curiosity, what might the potential new hopper be?

I don't even know. I'm asking you guys for ideas and then I'll take those ideas and talk to adults.

soldat7

LukeSmith said:
...but would folks want to see a ranked hopper that has a mix of DLC and regular maps that is only available to folks who've purchased the most recent DLC?

Ranked Legendary DLC Playlist would be great.

I've never seen any new maps in ranked (or social outside of DLC-only hopper). I think the likelihood of everyone in the room having the newer maps is just too slim.

In fact I think there might be a bug with the DLC actually being loaded as I cannot enter the Heroic DLC hopper until I first enter The Forge where I get a pop-up that searches for and finds my DLC. Then I can enter the DLC-only hopper...

Thermite

LukeSmith said:

Oh absolutely. I'd much rather have the stats that I get from playing the Heroic DLC, or any DLC in the future, applied to my overall ranked stats than my social stats. If the Heroic DLC was in a ranked playlist currently, it would easily be my most played hopper.

EazyB

Banned
LukeSmith said:

Personally I think one playlist devoted solely to the newest DLC is enough, there's not that many people playing the Herioc playlist as it is. It's just that although the current system of throwing the DLC maps into the mix if and only if every random sap has them means that they're barely ever played (I've personally never played them outside that specific playlist). I know it's the best thing to do in order to prevent splitting the player base, but maybe there's a better way of integrating them before they're free.

I have no clue how MM works so if this is not possible, then my bad. But what if a player could go to any of the current playlists and just like they would press X to prefer the "quickest", "good connection", "language" thing. You guys could throw in an extra option say, "prefer those with DLC". Like with any other option this would probably make searching take longer, and maybe if MM determines that a match isn't possible it would throw in the players without the content, but it would make the DLC maps pop up a lot more frequently.

My other concern is that Bungie can't make the DLC mandatory because there are a select few without HDDs. So I'm guessing you guys plan to keep the current system of choosing whether or not a DLC map is thrown into the mix even after they're made free. Problem is, while the free maps will pop up much more often then they currently do, they won't show up as often as those on the disc because some people may not download them for whatever reason.

I'm just concerned because I don't do custom games very often and I've played the maps on the disc hundreds of times. If anything, I want the new maps to show up more often then the old ones. Anyways, that's for listening, you people are what makes Halo 3 the best MP out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom