• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDG

Banned
Stinkles said:
Halo3_DLC2_GhostTown_01.jpg

orly
rly
Halo3_DLC2_GhostTown_02.jpg

Looks awesome, sounds awesome. Nice job, Bungie.

For lazy/stupid people, more info here.
Edit: Beaten, but not sorry about it.

Sai-kun

Banned
OK Corral wasn't the remake, was it?

Also: WOW >_<

Looks awesome. It looks like this one map from Counter-Strike..only more dry and less wet. D:

Wolffen

the disgruntled gamer said:
The interior does. Outside, it reminds me of Sanctuary.

And this is a very, very good thing. I love the part about using the grav lift as an alt way to get up to the 2nd floor. I'm very anxious to see how this plays.

edit: Y'know, looking at the first shot Stinkles posted, I was reminded of the greenhouse in Gears, actually.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
In the article it says that it's a water purification plant and that the pipes you see on Tsavo Highway are used to transport its purified water away from it towards cities. Nice tie-in.

GhaleonEB

My first thought was, "wow, that pic is some hawt concept art". It's very lush, great use of color. Layout looks good, a very tight asymmetrical map.

I wonder, after the Legendary map pack is out, will Normal be next? :p

Nutter

Until I see the layout from top down, it looks like its a mesh of Warlock, Sanctuary, Ivory Tower. So I suppose 2 of 3 good map mix is still good :)

Cuckooo

That ESPN video was hilarious, the commentator was going nuts! :lol

New map looks sweet so unlike any other Halo map, can't wait to get stuck into it.

Nutter

Cuckooo said:
That ESPN video was hilarious, the commentator was going nuts! :lol

New map looks sweet so unlike any other Halo map, can't wait to get stuck into it.
This is actually a very good thing.

If Construct, Epitaph and Issolation are Halo like, then I DO NOT WANT more Halo type maps.

Nutter said:
Until I see the layout from top down, it looks like its a mesh of Warlock, Sanctuary, Ivory Tower. So I suppose 2 of 3 good map mix is still good :)

Dont worry, I doubt Ghost Town has any resemblance to Sanctuary, Warlock, and Ivory Tower at all.

More maps of this size or smaller please Bungie. 4v4 or smaller, that is what the people want, because that is where Halo 3's line-up is weakest. As Nutter says: Construct, Epitaph, Isolation, no thank you.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm....well, the first DLC had one medium...ish, one huge, and one smallish w/ forge.

if ghost town is medium-ish....ah heck, it's just random speculation.

Cuckooo

Nutter said:
If Construct, Epitaph and Issolation are Halo like, then I DO NOT WANT more Halo type maps.

Each to their own, I really like Construct and Isolation.

What I really meant was how the art style and the setting/location was different.

TDG

Banned
Whoa, why all the Construct hate? Did I fall asleep and everyone suffered brain damage from some awful accident?
GhaleonEB said:
I'm very curious what the Forge palette will entail. Any new objects?
In the map pack, or in Ghost Town itself? Because GT doesn't seem like a very good Forge map, since it seems like it's filled with structures. Maybe I'm wrong though, we've only seen three pics.

Luke/Stinkles: Are there any vehicles on the map other than the Mongoose?

GhaleonEB

Whoa, why all the Construct hate? Did I fall asleep and everyone suffered brain damage from some awful accident?
I've played two games on Construct. Every other time, it has been vetoed. From my two games, it's okay.

XSX

One of the best maps IMO, if both teams are skilled. Especially while playing MLG king.

Insaniac

GhaleonEB said:
I've played two games on Construct. Every other time, it has been vetoed. From my two games, it's okay.

One thing I love about construct is combat is very stream-lined. Even though the lower and middle floors are practically ignored, the top floor is big enough to accommodate normal combat, and the grav lifts provide quick access to the action.

From a design standpoint it isn't a good design because the lower and middle floors are practically ignored, but still, I enjoy playing on it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Insaniac said:
One thing I love about construct is combat is very stream-lined. Even though the lower and middle floors are practically ignored, the top floor is big enough to accommodate normal combat, and the grav lifts provide quick access to the action.

The only negative I have on Construct is when teammates keep going up the gold lift, despite the entire other team camping near/around it. Otherwise, construct is fine, I love going up the angled platform to double mauler the sword guy.

Isolation for me, is normally fine...but if it's BR starts, it can get annoying being shot at from 3 just spawned guys after killing one.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Really? It almost never gets vetoed in my experience. Personal Anecdotes FTW.

I think it's a really good map, unless you're playing a team game with people dumb enough to not learn from their mistakes (I went up the grav. lift and got killed, I think I'll do it again!)

Sometimes, I play on that map and I wonder if people are unaware of the fact that there are five ways to get to the upper level.

Dirtbag

Ghost town looks really awesome. One of my first multiplayer questions when the game was released was: Why didnt they use the prettiest single player level setting (Sierra 117) in multi?! Glad to see it get used.

It's funny how quickly Halo can still excite me even while I'm totally hooked on COD4. I know I wouldnt be nearly as excited for COD4 maps, even though its the game I play more. The magic of the Halo brand I guess.

Great looking stuff. Can't wait to see the lockout remake.... *crosses fingers* :D

Really? It almost never gets vetoed in my experience. Personal Anecdotes FTW.

I think it's a really good map, unless you're playing a team game with people dumb enough to not learn from their mistakes (I went up the grav. lift and got killed, I think I'll do it again!)

Sometimes, I play on that map and I wonder if people are unaware of the fact that there are five ways to get to the upper level.

I try and never use the lifts at all, and only climb up behind the sword, or take the ramps.

JdFoX187

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
More maps of this size or smaller please Bungie. 4v4 or smaller, that is what the people want, because that is where Halo 3's line-up is weakest. As Nutter says: Construct, Epitaph, Isolation, no thank you.
Wrong. If anything, the mid-sized maps are Halo 3's strongest lineup. Halo 3 needs at least two more big BTB maps.

TDG

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
Great looking stuff. Can't wait to see the lockout remake.... *crosses fingers* :D
orly?
800px-H3_MP_Guardian_Env4.jpg

/Urk

Dirtbag 504 said:
I try and never use the lifts at all, and only climb up behind the sword, or take the ramps.
Same here. I think that when you have two talented, evenly-matches teams, Construct is one of the best maps.

JdFoX187 said:
Wrong. If anything, the mid-sized maps are Halo 3's strongest lineup. Halo 3 needs at least two more big BTB maps.
I agree. We need more maps that are on the extreme side (really big or arena-small).
In fact, I think that most of Halo 3's maps could be reasonably classified as medium or medium-small.

Kuroyume

Banned
XSX said:
You can't watch Saved Films on Maps you don't have......

Really? I saw this in the auto update yesterday:

Fixed a problem with the Theater when a player tried to view a saved film for a DLC map he or she doesn’t own

I guess I'm reading too much into it.

Construct is a big pile of shit. Everyone pretty much plays at the top level, and getting there is a bit of a hassle when you have to use those three lifts. You're vulnerable each and every time you use them, even after you lob a bunch of grenades up there. You could go the long way and walk up the ramp, but that leaves you vulnerable. It's a camper's paradise.

JdFoX187 said:

Really... I'm so sick of playing BTB Slayer on Last Resort...

Nutter

JdFoX187 said:

I agree it needs Medium-Large Maps. Not huge like Sandtrap, not medium like Isolation.
That is why anything Sanctuary like is Halogasm for me. (this is why I love Standoff)

As for Construct. Get to the upper 40's in double team and get back to me :p.

Mash

I just bought this the other day ("LTTP!" and all that shit) and I completed it on heroic, one of the best single player experiences I've had it was paced absolutely perfectly I felt like it was exactly the right length and the varying environments and enemies is simply unsurpassed.

Anyway, I hear that if I just complete the final level on Legendary now I will have apparently "completed" it on that difficulty too, no? Well I tried that twice now and both times it hasn't recognized me as completing it so what the bally hell is going on, I want to get some action by boasting about my mad skillz.

fin

I'm on board the Construct hate train. It always ends up being a fight for the area between the two purple lifts.

Insaniac said:
From a design standpoint it isn't a good design because the lower and middle floors are practically ignored, but still, I enjoy playing on it.

qft

This is the same complaint I have for Snowbound. Most games revolve around the shotgun underground, ignoring the rest of the map.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Mash said:
I just bought this the other day ("LTTP!" and all that shit) and I completed it on heroic, one of the best single player experiences I've had it was paced absolutely perfectly I felt like it was exactly the right length and the varying environments and enemies is simply unsurpassed.

Anyway, I hear that if I just complete the final level on Legendary now I will have apparently "completed" it on that difficulty too, no? Well I tried that twice now and both times it hasn't recognized me as completing it so what the bally hell is going on, I want to get some action by boasting about my mad skillz.
No, you have to play through the whole game on Legendary to fulfill the "completed on Legendary" requirement. Including watching the first cutscene on Legendary.

If you're a fan of the first two games, I'd say go for it - my solo Legendary playthrough was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. But I'm really into the story, so that played a major role in my enjoyment of it.

TDG

Banned
fin said:
I'm on board the Construct hate train. It always ends up being a fight for the area between the two purple lifts.
That's why you give the battlers on the purple lifts a surprise by going up the gold lift or ramps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
That's why you give the battlers on the purple lifts a surprise by going up the gold lift or ramps.

There's always someone camping the gold lift by crouching near it while he has an endless supply of frag grenades right underneath him.

XSX

Kuroyume said:
Really? I saw this in the auto update yesterday:
I guess I'm reading too much into it.

Yea must be something else because, there not movie files right, there just game demo's so the game must need the map since it's basically just repeating everything that happened. I could be totally wrong here though.

TDG

Banned
Domino Theory said:
There's always someone camping the gold lift by crouching near it while he has an endless supply of frag grenades right underneath him.
As I mentioned, there are 5 ways to get to the upper level. In TS, there are only 4 people to defend, in DT there are only two. As long as you are smart about where you go, and don't be hasty, the other team being on the upper level should not be a game or map ruining problem.

Of course, it's probably a good idea to try not to allow the other team to gain total control of the upper level in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom