• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Nekobo

Farewell, old friend.

Cloud services support for webOS devices will be ending on January 15, 2015. We appreciate our customer's loyalty the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS devices will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:

Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
Backup or restore devices from the cloud
Setup new devices
Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:

The HP App Catalog will stop supporting new app purchases on November 1, 2014
Updates may be posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on January 15, 2015
You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of January 15, 2015

There will be additional reminders as the final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at
http://news.hpwebosnewsletters.com/cgi-bin13/DM/t/hBlrh0c8GR60PwQ04W5N0EF

Timeline

10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers
11/1/14 New app purchases end
11/10/14 App update submissions end
1/15/15 Public shutdown of services

kmfdmpig

RIP. I loved WebOS but eventually swapped over to Android. On like 4.2 Android and it still runs amazingly well to this day.

Same with me. When I installed Android I thought it would be a dual use thing, but I never really go back to WebOS (I loved the UI, but the apps were limited). Now this is my daughter's little puzzle/coloring book/audio book/video player and she loves it.

I got that email a couple days after selling my TP (I notice I posted in here about selling it back in August too haha). Took a couple months to sell it locally but I offloaded it for $80. The buyer even knew about the firesale (I felt a bit guilty about charging so much for it).

WebOS was pretty good (the email app in particular) but the browser and boot time were so slow. Once I installed CM Android on it I barely went back to webOS.

Nekobo

Hoping to try Lollipop on my Touchpad. Android's finally as smooth and refined as WebOS!

Same! I updated from CM9 to CM10.2, so that's giving my TouchPad a new lease on life. I mostly use it to read comics and play humble bundle games. Still, it makes me wonder what webOS would look like today if HP didn't scrap it. I really liked the email and messaging apps.

So I'm trying to follow the WebOS Survival Kit to back up my TouchPad, but the Preware Homebrew app is a paid app and I can't buy it. Does anyone know of another tool to back this thing up?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to back the TouchPad up so that I can restore it to both its current state with all the apps on it and to the factory default. If I can get to a point where I can get back to where I am now, I want to dump Android on it.

Weird to see this bumped, but oddly enough I just erased my old volumes, removed webOS entirely and put a stable build of CM11 on my Touchpad last weekend using TPToolbox: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2756314

Highly recommended after messing with the ACMEInstaller junk for years.

Biggest pain right now is that the Palm site is down now that they've sold the brand and all of the download links for novacom and webOS Doctor are down.

Weird to see this bumped, but oddly enough I just erased my old volumes, removed webOS entirely and put a stable build of CM11 on my Touchpad last weekend using TPToolbox: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2756314

Highly recommended after messing with the ACMEInstaller junk for years.

Biggest pain right now is that the Palm site is down now that they've sold the brand and all of the download links for novacom and webOS Doctor are down.

I ended up using TPToolbox today to remove WebOS (freeing up more storage space) and updated from Android 4.2 to 5.1.1. Pretty psyched. Suuuuper slow boot up the first time (like... 10 minutes. Put the fear of a bricked system in my soul) but is quicker since then. Using Evervolv instead of Cyanogenmod this time around. Things seem snappy so far.

Going to have to play with it more before I can give a full vote of confidence but I'm impressed so far. I plan to try and run Hearthstone later to see if the ol' girl can handle Hearthstone through 5.1.1.

I just can't believe my $100 tablet from 2011 is still relevant and totally functional.

dabig2

Oh damn, still have my TP as well and I use it almost daily as my main tablet. Haven't updated it in a while though, so I think I'll hop on this TPToolbox thing. Oh, and finally get rid of WebOS. Haven't touched that since I installed Android on this baby back in '11.

Anony

I ended up using TPToolbox today to remove WebOS (freeing up more storage space) and updated from Android 4.2 to 5.1.1. Pretty psyched. Suuuuper slow boot up the first time (like... 10 minutes. Put the fear of a bricked system in my soul) but is quicker since then. Using Evervolv instead of Cyanogenmod this time around. Things seem snappy so far.

Going to have to play with it more before I can give a full vote of confidence but I'm impressed so far. I plan to try and run Hearthstone later to see if the ol' girl can handle Hearthstone through 5.1.1.

I just can't believe my $100 tablet from 2011 is still relevant and totally functional.

hearthstone runs on my on 4.0.3
runs like shit, but playable, it's a turn based game anyways
it was neat, but i uninstalled it, since the game came out for the phone

i updated to 4.4.x at one point, shit was not working on some stuff like wonky wifi and huge battery drain

4.0.3 is still king for me, everything, everything, works, excellent battery life
sucks that i'm not running kitkat or lollipop, but functionality > eye candy

hearthstone runs on my on 4.0.3
runs like shit, but playable, it's a turn based game anyways
it was neat, but i uninstalled it, since the game came out for the phone

i updated to 4.4.x at one point, shit was not working on some stuff like wonky wifi and huge battery drain

4.0.3 is still king for me, everything, everything, works, excellent battery life
sucks that i'm not running kitkat or lollipop, but functionality > eye candy

I'd like to add that Hearthstone, having played about five games today, runs really well on my Touchpad with Android 5.1.1. It is slow for the first boot up (took 10 minutes), but subsequent boot ups are faster (1 minute). Loading a match has a small delay but once I'm in-game I haven't had any problems.

I can say now that upgrading to 5.1.1. from 4.2 and wiping out WebOS along the way was a great decision overall. I've heard there can be issues with Bluetooth connectivity, but I don't ever use Bluetooth so I can't comment on that. There is a very brief red flicker around the edge of the screen on occasion when I switch apps, but it is a known problem and is just cosmetic. Happens about 10% of the time I'd estimate. I have 68% battery remaining after a full charge after 3 hours of on-time, WiFi all 3 hours, playing Hearthstone for an hour of that, and having the screen on for 2 of those 3 hours. Brightness on minimum. I will post a screencap of my battery chart later tonight i think.

I'd like to add that Hearthstone, having played about five games today, runs really well on my Touchpad with Android 5.1.1. It is slow for the first boot up (took 10 minutes), but subsequent boot ups are faster (1 minute). Loading a match has a small delay but once I'm in-game I haven't had any problems.

I can say now that upgrading to 5.1.1. from 4.2 and wiping out WebOS along the way was a great decision overall. I've heard there can be issues with Bluetooth connectivity, but I don't ever use Bluetooth so I can't comment on that. There is a very brief red flicker around the edge of the screen on occasion when I switch apps, but it is a known problem and is just cosmetic. Happens about 10% of the time I'd estimate. I have 68% battery remaining after a full charge after 3 hours of on-time, WiFi all 3 hours, playing Hearthstone for an hour of that, and having the screen on for 2 of those 3 hours. Brightness on minimum. I will post a screencap of my battery chart later tonight i think.

I want this. Tell me how you did this with your touchpad please. This all sounds so beautiful.

I want this. Tell me how you did this with your touchpad please. This all sounds so beautiful.

I will post clear instructions this week. There are a few good guides already, but finding the right files is harder now because a major file server has gone permanently offline so I had to do some extra scrounging. I only had a single error in the process but I was able to correct it easily.

I will post clear instructions this week. There are a few good guides already, but finding the right files is harder now because a major file server has gone permanently offline so I had to do some extra scrounging. I only had a single error in the process but I was able to correct it easily.

I appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

Here is my battery meter going from a full charge around 4 PM until about 23% charge at 10 PM. Seems good to me for a four year old battery.

jsC45fK.jpg

wSzBGVF.jpg

Please excuse the dim red tint, I'm running Twilight right now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A bit of a shot in the dark, my CM11 Touchpad won't boot anymore - it is stuck on the CM boot logo (the constantly spinning arrow) and won't go into the system itself.

Is there anything I can do to save it, or do I just need to basically format it and start over?

Thanks (if anyone is still here!).

I faintly recall that being a nail in the coffin. Reformatting is the only way as far as my memory serves.

I got rid of my Touchpad in late 2016 when moving as I didn't use it much, and my smart phone took over most roles. An amazing tablet for $100. RIP.

Top Bottom