• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
touchpad-ov1.png

So, with the massive discount, I figure we have and will have a lot of new HP Touchpad owners. I'm sure new owners will have questions, plus we can recommend apps (lol), talk about homebrew, honeycomb, overclocking, etc.

I haven't had mine for long, but here's some stuff I've found:

-There is no Skype "app", the Skype functionality is oddly hidden in the phone app

-The Facebook app is awesome

-HP Synergy brings in all your pics from FB, Photobucket etc. so you don't have to load the device with pics

-Amazon cloud player works on the browser, so you don't have to load the tablet with music either.

I know there's a ton of stuff I missed too, the OS is super elegant, yet powerful

giga said:

TheExodu5 said:
To speed up your TouchPad and enable Homebrew:

Install PreWare

Enable these speed tweaks

Disabling cache on the TouchPad (important because the default cache is too agressive)
Click HERE

Ice Cream Sandwich Alpha on the Touchpad!!! (download/install at your own risk, this is the alpha version, you can always choose to wait until a more stable release)

:D

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Better OS than iOS. Shame there aren't any apps for it.

Welcome to the new WebOS owners.

Karish

Great call. Waiting for mine to arrive from HP sometime later this week. As a long time Pre lover, I cannot wait!

Dreams-Visions said:
Soon to be cheap Android tablet owners

Excuse my ignorance, but how? I'll go to the store and look for a touchpad right now if I'm not stuck with this defunct webOS thing.

dream

The aggressive browser caching makes reading GAF such a chore. Is there a patch that disables caching?

SRG01

Check precentral, dream?

Anyhow, has anyone heard of any cheap accessories for this thing? The touchstone dock is not worth the price...

SRG01 said:
Check precentral, dream?

Anyhow, has anyone heard of any cheap accessories for this thing? The touchstone dock is not worth the price...

In the main thread someone mentioned $10 wall chargers, $25 touchstone dock...idk if that's the regular price or not but it seems reasonable to me.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I was planning on wall mounting these things around my apartment and having them display different things like latest news, weather, etc.

(In my dreams, I just got one though)

Phenomic

-There is no Skype "app", the Skype functionality is oddly hidden in the phone app

Can you elaborate on how this works? Also, is the phone AP free?

SRG01

Secks4Food said:
In the main thread someone mentioned $10 wall chargers, $25 touchstone dock...idk if that's the regular price or not but it seems reasonable to me.

Link me to it, please? I've been out all morning/afternoon.

LCfiner

I wonder if I'll be able to use this to stream my iTunes library to remote speakers or headphones. I'm currently using my iPad for this but I'd like to keep the iPad undocked for actual reading.

I suspect the homebrew scene will be my only hope for this.

Welp . . . I ordered a couple. All I expect is something that I can browse the web with and read PDFs with. So my expectations are pretty low.

Anything else that it will be good for?

Eric C

Secks4Food said:

where are the $25 touchstone docks?

Fortunately, the homebrew scene will probably keep this thing alive for a while. Pre's homebrew had some dedicated people in it and they did wonderful things.

TheExodu5

Banned
RukusProvider said:
How much better is your browser experience after doing this? That's my main use for this.

A bit faster, I'd say. The device certainly feels snappier, overall. Well worth the 20 minutes it took to do it. Plus, it will let you install AdBlock, which should improve your browsing experience.

dream

Hey TheExodu5, help me figure out how to download a file to the media volume using box.net?

edit: aha, there's a downloads directory

Hylian7

Seriously considering ordering one of these. I already have a laptop, but for some reason a tablet seems strangely convenient. Is there any kind of stylus for it (quickly jotting down notes in classes)?

Chesskid1

Banned
i'm hoping there will be a topic where OP will update it regularly with the newest hacks, android, etc, since here are many new owners on gaf, but who don't want to search everywhere for information.

please. <3

looks like there was little to no interest on hacking this device before the $100 firesale it seems?

tino

Banned
Can somebody with the TP try continuous play on youtube?

Also, what's the cheapest stand I can find on ebay or anyway else?

2th

Banned
Ordered 2 from HP. Still havent gotten my email confirmation. I pray to god they actually ship on monday.

Maddog

Chesskid1 said:
i'm hoping there will be a topic where OP will update it regularly with the newest hacks, android, etc, since here are many new owners on gaf, but who don't want to search everywhere for information.

please. <3

looks like there was little to no interest on hacking this device before the $100 firesale it seems?

There was little to no interest on this device before the 100$ firesale period.

narca

Banned
I'd wait for accessories, they'll all be going on clearance soon.

I'm really enjoying WebOS, cant wait to see what GAF shows me.

Socreges said:
You could access your Kindle library (and bookmarks, etc) on a device like this, yes?
Cool. A $125 Kindle Reader. I guess it is not good for outdoor but it is better than Kindle on a phone.

narca

Banned
Whats the easiest way to get my iTunes library on here? Im not hip enough to have an Amazon cloud set up.

TheExodu5 said:
A bit faster, I'd say. The device certainly feels snappier, overall. Well worth the 20 minutes it took to do it. Plus, it will let you install AdBlock, which should improve your browsing experience.

Thanks man. Looking forward to getting mine sometime next week.

Kahoona

narca said:
I'd wait for accessories, they'll all be going on clearance soon.

I'm really enjoying WebOS, cant wait to see what GAF shows me.
I really hope that sexy wireless power charger goes on sale soon.

dream

reKon said:
If anyone finds a very cheap case/stand of decent quality for this let us know!

HP basically copied the iPad's dimensions to a t when "designing" the TouchPad. I wonder if cheap iPad 1 stands will work with it.

Top Bottom