• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Sean

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:
Probably know the answer to this, but it has a netflix and Hulu app right?

There's no Netflix app and it's unlikely they would invest in developing one for a dead platform.

Hulu doesn't have an app either, but it works in the browser (via Flash) currently as far as I know. That is not likely to last long though since Hulu blocked the Playbook and Android Tablets with Flash.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Phenomic said:
-There is no Skype "app", the Skype functionality is oddly hidden in the phone app

Can you elaborate on how this works? Also, is the phone AP free?

You have a dialer that, paired with a WebOS phone, allows you to make calls. The dialer app also allows you to sign in to your Skype account and view your Skype contacts, though I don't see an easy way to filter it out, since it can populate from your Google contacts if you choose. I may take those contacts out, since I can't actually place calls with it, I'm on Windows Phone.

Also, I did my first Skype call today and it worked flawlessly. I did an iPad 2 Skype call earlier and it was overall smoother on the HP, everything from the way it notifies you to the video streaming etc. looked better, but I'll ask my wife if my video looked any better to her.

2th

Banned
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!! I just got my confirmation emails for the 2 i ordered today. Hell yes!$167.07 each with tax and shipping.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Can anyone else not get the system update. Hangs part of the way through.

Edit: must be mad slow because everyone is trying to update.

Kahoona

MThanded said:

I got mine earlier. It took quite a while to get though. My suggestion would be leave it over night. Oh, and keep it plugged in because it won't update unless it's above 50% power.

freshair

Kagari said:
What case should I buy for this thing?

If you're planning on getting the touch stone, then get the official case from HP because I read somewhere that the wireless charging will work through the case.

3N16MA

Banned
Was hoping accessories would be cleared out also. Unless stores think people are going to spend $50 on case for a $100-$150 product.

Chesskid1

Banned
MThanded said:

yeah, haven't been able to update.

not much to do with the touchpad atm. nothing much to mess around with, kinda bored with it already, heh.

still nice to have but i prefer desktop PC. idk.

MThanded

Should be fairly easy to get full ubuntu running on this if you wanted.

I have the knowledge but not the time. Hopefully someone else will do it.

MercuryLS

Banned
K' Dash said:
The question is, Will I be able to put Android on this thing at some point?

If yes, it's totally worth it.

There's a group of devs working on it. It's entirely possible it will run well, the hardware is certainly no slouch.

LCfiner

from that link posted earlier, they’re gonna try to get Android 2.X working first before attempting honeycomb. I don’t see any advantage running Android 2.X as that’s made for phones. the app situation won’t be any better on the touchpad. I guess it’ll be fun for some folks but it won’t make it a better device, imo.

maybe if 3.x (or 4.x in the future) can be ported then it’ll be better than the stock webOS. but I don’t see 3.x being ready anytime soon, based on the timeline of those devs.

Chesskid1

Banned
youtube videos looks damn amazing in 720p on this.

i was watching some kpop performances, pretty stunning. check it out. it just sucks there's not that many apps, and browsing internet on my computer is so much better so i prolly won't be doing it much.

i bet comic books/magazines will look great as well.

seems like not that good of a value at its original price but at 99$ it's a steal.

make sure you use software manager in the settings. updates HP App catalog and adds a little magazine of the latest apps, called pivot. looks great on the screen and helps you discover apps.

MThanded

LCfiner said:
from that link posted earlier, they’re gonna try to get Android 2.X working first before attempting honeycomb. I don’t see any advantage running Android 2.X as that’s made for phones. the app situation won’t be any better on the touchpad. I guess it’ll be fun for some folks but it won’t make it a better device, imo.

maybe if 3.x (or 4.x in the future) can be ported then it’ll be better than the stock webOS. but I don’t see 3.x being ready anytime soon, based on the timeline of those devs.
Honeycomb full source is not out yet.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

MIMIC

Banned
Is there a size limit for files you can put on the Touchpad? I'm trying to put a 4GB file on it but I get an error saying that the "destination drive is full" even though it's not.

MThanded

MIMIC said:
Is there a size limit for files you can put on the Touchpad? I'm trying to put a 4GB file on it but I get an error saying that the "destination drive is full" even though it's not.
Someone did say something about a file size max due to the file system they use.

LCfiner

MThanded said:
Honeycomb full source is not out yet.

yeah, I’m aware of that (that’s a whole other can of worms). I wasn’t trying to rag on those homebrew guys for going to 2.x first. I was just stating my opinion that replacing webOS with Android 2.x will probably not be a very impressive experience for most people.

I’d put money on it taking around one year until a proper honeycomb (or maybe ice cream sandwich) port showing up that can potentially surpass the webOS experience (speed, app selection, UI, and all the rest)

MIMIC said:
Sounds like it uses fat32, max file size for that is 4gb and it's very widely used because it's compatible with most everything.

MThanded

KoruptData said:
Looks like I got a lemon, thing won't charge.
Its just like the ipad. Wont charge through usb on most machines. Are you plugged into the wall?

Edit: Yes google music and justin tv work. Yah yah!!!!!!

dream

So I linked my Dropbox account to my Synergy profile and...can't find anything to do with it.

Is there a Dropbox client?

MThanded

Everybody needs to stop trying to update there software... so i can actually update my software.

Is it possible to get the update on my laptop and manually move the package over and run it or something. This update on the device is not working.

Firestorm

AlexMeloche said:
Just ordered one online at Staples (Canada). Let's just hope I'm gonna get it. I never wanted a tablet but for that price... :p
1AM on saturday = phantom stock. It's not actually in stock =( Staples.ca has this stupid bug that's been on their site for ages.

Edit: I mean, people can try anyway but don't hold your breath!

Top Bottom