• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

LordCanti said:
WTF. Are people that stupid? Did they just not hear about the sale, and think "Wow, that's a cheap touchpad!"?

That also kind of begs the question...why did they go to $99 and $150, if they could have gone to $250 and $300.

People are nuts on ebay, but it's not like getting them for $99 and $150 is the easiest thing in the world to do especially as the weekend moves on.

Blackhead

Redarse
virtuoso88 said:
People are nuts on ebay, but it's not like getting them for $99 and $150 is the easiest thing in the world to do especially as the weekend moves on.
There is a second batch coming along, many people don't know that yet. I'm sure a bunch of flippers are going to be stuck selling the touchpads for a $20 profit at most.

CyReN

MThanded said:
Works fine on mine. Not sure.

Yea it was weird, after I followed the update stuff on the first page it works fine now.

Thanks for all the help, well worth the $100 imo, don't have to lug around my laptop when I travel now.

LordCanti said:
WTF. Are people that stupid? Did they just not hear about the sale, and think "Wow, that's a cheap touchpad!"?

That also kind of begs the question...why did they go to $99 and $150, if they could have gone to $250 and $300.

Edit: Just realized that the deal was US only, and that people in other countries would probably see $300 as a steal. That's the only way I can rationalize the idea of someone making triple their money on a discontinued, no longer supported item.

This is a kind of interesting discussion about this whole phenomena (if only to see Google+ Hangout in action): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMEuqm-Q-Q

At one point he says "People are making more money on ebay with the Touchpad now than HP could sell it for a day ago!"

nataku

Kraftwerk said:
Any word when the next batch will be available? Every single store around me, and my friends homes are sold out :(

HP sent out an email that said 5-7 days for HP's website, so I'm assuming it's the next week or so if other retailers get things in again.

2th

Banned
nataku said:
HP sent out an email that said 5-7 days for HP's website, so I'm assuming it's the next week or so if other retailers get things in again.

this is good to know. as my brother wants one of these now.

anyways has there been any chatter about the price of accessories being reduced?

Apath

So how do you put comics on this thing? The comic reader app just seems to be nothing more than a front-end to organizing a bunch of web comics.

Violater

Kenak said:
So how do you put comics on this thing? The comic reader app just seems to be nothing more than a front-end to organizing a bunch of web comics.

Cosign, I have been trying all morning with .cbr files and mobi files

Jasoco

Banned
I already have an iPad 2, but where can I actually get a TouchPad for $100? I can't see any prices that low anywhere.

This week my three touchpads should come in, I'll make the switch to Sprint and get an EVO 3D and and then root that sucker. Damn, I'm going to be so unproductive come work (with fall semester next week).

What media formats can this run? I heard it can do 720p, but I have a lot files in .mkv format.

kmfdmpig

Violater said:
Cosign, I have been trying all morning with .cbr files and mobi files
Not sure about mini, but comicshelf hd works for Cbr and cbz. It's not as good as perfect viewer for Android, but It's not bad.

amitlu

Banned
kmfdmpig said:
Not sure about mini, but comicshelf hd works for Cbr and cbz. It's not as good as perfect viewer for Android, but It's not bad.

Yeah, comicshelf hd works great for cbr and cbz but just remember there is a bug where you have to restart the device after adding stuff or it won't see them. Comics look great on this screen.

gokieks

Reasonably impressed with this thing so far. Kindle app works pretty well, videos that I encoded for my iPhone 4 plays fine, and wIRC is a very nice IRC client. Spaz HD is a decent Twitter client, but Echofon remains my client of choice for its unread syncing functionality, so that's a little annoying. The entire UI never feels snappy, but it's bearable.

What I really want though is a way to stream videos to it with on-the-fly transcoding. AirVideo Server + iOS client is amazing, and one of the main reasons I'm still looking to get an iPad sometime in the future (along with the HD FFT:WotL that may or may not actually ever exist or run properly), but it doesn't look like there's anything comparable for WebOS (or Android?)

Edit: hmm, TVersity supposedly works. I guess I'll have to try that out... really disliked TVersity in the past though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I nabbed one during the Amazon Lightning Deal earlier. Not sure how much use I'll get out of it, but for $100, the consumer in me couldn't resist. This thing was $500 a few weeks ago!

I really don't know anything about tablets as I never would've considered buying one for $400 or more — I just don't really have the need. But this will be great to bring on trips, for hotel stays, etc. Web browsing, movies, music should hopefully be more convenient and comfortable than doing everything on my phone, and eliminate the need to bring my laptop. I'm far from a power user, so I think this thing should be perfectly adequate for my needs.

Chesskid1

Banned
F8saS.jpg

LordCanti

To anyone that ordered one shipped from Best Buy: Has your order switched to "shipped" yet? Mine is still "In Process".

Just realized it's Sunday, and that nothing would have shipped out. Thought it was Monday, lol.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Skype works great on this thing. Wow.

doctordoak said:
I can't believe this thing won't charge over USB. Wall outlet only?

Also, having trouble getting video files to play.
iPad is the same way.

sk3

Banned
Until USB 3.0 becomes standard and ubiquitous, devices this big just cannot get enough power from USB 2.0.

Kahoona

Do any sites have the Touchstone on sale yet? Really want to pick one up eventually. I believe they won't go as fast as the tablets themselves. At least I hope.

sarcastor

so i just ordered one on amazon via onsale. If i do get one shipped to me (crossing my fingers), are there any killer apps? are there any apps at all?

something to play movies, read pdfs and comic books and act like a giant paperweight perhaps?

gate777

Adobe reader is built in to the OS so you don't need another pdf reader.

Good apps to have:

Kalmesoft media player - supports mkv, avi, divx, mpeg, mp3, mp4, etc
Gemini File manager - Browse/delete/rename/copy files on your USB drive directly on your touchpad without connecting to a computer
Amazon Kindle - self explanatory
pReader - ebook reader, supports all ebook formats
Epicurious - hundreds of cooking recipes
Localscope - similar to yelp only much better

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Birbo said:
Do Facebook games like Farmville work on this thing? That will make this an easier sell to my wife.
I tried some flash games they ran decently.

Violater

amitlu said:
Yeah, comicshelf hd works great for cbr and cbz but just remember there is a bug where you have to restart the device after adding stuff or it won't see them. Comics look great on this screen.

So basically there isn't any free software I can use?

Violater

Violater said:
How do you use the gps without wifi?

Wifi tether from my Thunderbolt. Should be able to stream video from Amazon and Hulu while on the road as well. Not for me to watch obviously but I for my friends on drives to Las Vegas.

MIMIC

Banned
That update that was being talked about....how do you go about initiating the update? Or will it happen automatically at some point?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MIMIC said:
That update that was being talked about....how do you go about initiating the update? Or will it happen automatically at some point?
System Updates under Settings.

Violater

Jamesfrom818 said:
Wifi tether from my Thunderbolt. Should be able to stream video from Amazon and Hulu while on the road as well. Not for me to watch obviously but I for my friends on drives to Las Vegas.

Sweet,
sucks I have a crappy 3g sprint phone lol so that's not an option for me.

Zapages

SNES emulator is prettying amazing from what I can tell with save states and all. Its always fun playing old mario. Aweosme device for the future whenever Android gets ported to it.

amitlu said:

Jason Robitaille, the developer of ComicShelf HD, has said he's going to continue to support it, and the next update will have at least a couple of feature people have been asking for:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-coding/287405-comicshelf-hd-now-app-catalog-3.html

Top Bottom