• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Violater said:
FFS can this be a help thread without apples and bananas?

Sorry getting fed up with this thing not reading my books
What's your issue?

giga

Violater said:
FFS can this be a help thread without apples and bananas?

Sorry getting fed up with this thing not reading my books
Brosef, I've been a webOS guy from the beginning and ordered two touchpads for myself and my parents. It's ok to have discussion of competing products.

Violater

Bboy AJ said:
What's your issue?

Unable to find a suitable format for my ebooks that this thing will successfully import.

giga said:
Brosef, I've been a webOS guy from the beginning and ordered two touchpads for myself and my parents. It's ok to have discussion of competing products.

No prob man, as long as the whole purpose of this thread isn't lost.
Its hard enough wading through the other threads about people trying to buy the tablet.

Anywhoo o.t. I uninstalled the pReader that I got from the HP App Catalog and installed the native preader from Preware version 0.9.10 and it seems to open them even after giving me an error and not importing them to the library.

Eel O'Brian said:
Jason Robitaille, the developer of ComicShelf HD, has said he's going to continue to support it, and the next update will have at least a couple of feature people have been asking for:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-coding/287405-comicshelf-hd-now-app-catalog-3.html

Went ahead and bought this, works well, hopefully the update will fix the need to restart each time new content is loaded.

railGUN

Banned
Violater said:
Unable to find a suitable format for my ebooks that this thing will successfully import.

No prob man, as long as the whole purpose of this thread isn't lost.
Its hard enough wading through the other threads about people trying to buy the tablet.

Anywhoo o.t. I uninstalled the pReader that I got from the HP App Catalog and installed the native preader from Preware version 0.9.10 and it seems to open them even after giving me an error and not importing them to the library.

Went ahead and bought this, works well, hopefully the update will fix the need to restart each time new content is loaded.

I found preader importing to be very very slow (at least for some of my books) like 10min to import - but once its imported it works good.

I installed the patches and overclocked to 1.5ghz and the thing just hums now. Best $100 I've spent in a long time - posting from it right now.

So, is there any app that is a better PDF reader than the built-in? I got this for $100 mainly to read scientific publications on my bus ride to/from my lab. I knew ahead of time it isn't an ideal PDF reader and it actually works fine now, just wondering if anything out there is better. Loving it overall.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You guys that got in on this deal are going to be so lucky if someone comes up with an easy way to load honeycomb. That will make it the deal of the year for sure.

Recon

Banned
Question. Im trying to do the preware shit in the OP, but i cant seem to install WebOs on my desktop...am i missing something? It says to double click the .Jar files to install, but winrar just wants to unrar them...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ReconYoda said:
Question. Im trying to do the preware shit in the OP, but i cant seem to install WebOs on my desktop...am i missing something? It says to double click the .Jar files to install, but winrar just wants to unrar them...
Are you following this? what step are you on?

ReconYoda said:
Try right click -> open with, and then something along the lines of "Java platform binary". Otherwise, try right-click -> open with -> choose default program, and look for a Java entry of some sort.

If neither helps, you may need to install Java. (google)

Yaboosh said:
You guys that got in on this deal are going to be so lucky if someone comes up with an easy way to load honeycomb. That will make it the deal of the year for sure.

So, I got the Touchpad but am ignorant as to what "honeycomb" is... any websites that explain it and why it's good? Is it related to Android being ported over? Forgive my ignorance.

Recon

Banned
slidewinder said:
Try right click -> open with, and then something along the lines of "Java platform binary". Otherwise, try right-click -> open with -> choose default program, and look for a Java entry of some sort.

If neither helps, you may need to install Java. (google)

K, thanks, downloading Java now.

Soka said:
So, I got the Touchpad but am ignorant as to what "honeycomb" is... any websites that explain it and why it's good? Is it related to Android being ported over? Forgive my ignorance.

Honeycomb is the tablet edition of Android OS. So a lot of people are excited about its potential port to touchpad.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Soka said:
Honeycomb is the current Android tablet OS. What makes it so awesome is that it is a good os that is still being supported with an actual app ecosystem. Getting honeycomb running on one of these things would probably make it quite comparable to any android tablet currently released.

dream

preader fucking sucks.

I cannot emphasize enough just how janky preader is considering how simple an ebook reader really should be.

That said, I had some luck importing epubs using preader native from the Preware catalog but it's still janky preader and I just don't want to use it.

giga said:

For context, giga also likes the Atlanta Hawks and Liam Neeson.

Recon

Banned
Any news on accessories getting discounted? Would love a case for this thing. Touchstone would be nice too.

dream said:
preader fucking sucks.

I cannot emphasize enough just how janky preader is considering how simple an ebook reader really should be.

That said, I had some luck importing epubs using preader native from the Preware catalog but it's still janky preader and I just don't want to use it.

For context, giga also likes the Atlanta Hawks and Liam Neeson.

Nothing wrong with Liam Neeson.

dream

Most cases for the original iPad will fit (cause HP basically aped the exact dimensions) and it shouldn't be tough to find one with the proper cutouts for the ports. I linked one earlier that I kind of liked back when I was using my original iPad.

wario

so the YouTube app isn't actually an app?

When I click the icon,it just goes to the YouTube site.

Am I missing something?

2th

Banned
wario said:

Am I missing something?

why do you need an app for youtube when you can load the normal webpage like its nothing because you have a flash enabled OS.

doctordoak said:
I can't believe this thing won't charge over USB. Wall outlet only?

Also, having trouble getting video files to play.
Well it depends on your USB hub. Are you trying to charge off a notebook? Perhaps it has a USB hub chip that is not capable of giving much power. USB has a protocol for asking for power and it can be denied if the hub isn't designed to give much power. Perhaps you can if you hook up to a different PC.

MThanded

If people started developing some more usable apps on the store they could clean house

wario

2th said:
why do you need an app for youtube when you can load the normal webpage like its nothing because you have a flash enabled OS.

I don't need an app for youtube. I just thought it was weird there's an icon under apps for youtube when its really just a bookmark.

wario said:

Am I missing something?
Yeah, it is just the website. But if if works, it works. Flash is shit though but that is Adobe's fault. Of course the WebOS flash play is unlikely to get much better.

MThanded

ReconYoda said:
Jesus, i cant fucking get 3.0.2 to install, it just stops at "Unpacking"
You have to try multiple times. People are hammering the servers. Happened yesterday night too. Have to keep trying. Ended up doing it in the morning .

speculawyer said:
Yeah, it is just the website. But if if works, it works. Flash is shit though but that is Adobe's fault. Of course the WebOS flash play is unlikely to get much better.
After updating, installing preware and then the speed tweaks -> HD flash videos run really well on the device. Justin.tv streams work great too.

I notice when I dock this to my PC to transfer over files, even if I "Disconnect Device" in the bottom-right of my PC via the task bar, my Touchpad doesn't seem to recognize being disconnected and gives me an "Ouch, try disconnecting before unplugging" "error" (not really an error as the device still works, perhaps more of a "suggestion"). Is there a specific way I need to disconnect it?

wario

tried turning on html5 to see if playback would improve. It just made it worse. videos don't even play. Haha.

Godslay

Banned
The_Reckoning said:
Anyone with an MLB.tv sub have one of these? Any chance of streaming games?

I don't know about MLB.tv, but NFL Preseason Live runs flawlessly even in full screen. I believe it is Flash based.

There are certain Laptop Chargers that have 2.1A USB ports... One by Kensington and Targus (their latest ones). I don't know if HP needs a resistor ID bridge in the USB port, but if they don't then they should be able to charge the touchpad off a wall socket.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
So are any of these still available online? i want one badly.

Try the official hp website. It will be listed for full price, but it will be corrected for you. Don't know if you will have to call or not

Erudite

Soka said:
I notice when I dock this to my PC to transfer over files, even if I "Disconnect Device" in the bottom-right of my PC via the task bar, my Touchpad doesn't seem to recognize being disconnected and gives me an "Ouch, try disconnecting before unplugging" "error" (not really an error as the device still works, perhaps more of a "suggestion"). Is there a specific way I need to disconnect it?
Try My Computer > Right-Clicking the Touchpad > Eject. Always works for me- The safely remove option that you tried gave me the same 'error'.

On another note, I hope someone develops a decent PDF reader for this, hell I'd pay $10 for it if I had to.

Traced-Velocity said:
Try My Computer > Right-Clicking the Touchpad > Eject. Always works for me- The safely remove option that you tried gave me the same 'error'.

On another note, I hope someone develops a decent PDF reader for this, hell I'd pay $10 for it if I had to.

Thanks, will try that next time.

I feel the same about the PDF reader. The standard one works fine for what I read (short publications usually between 10-25 pages) but I couldn't imagine using it for large books.

dream said:
Can someone fire up marco.org and tell me if pinch-to-zoom works?

Main page = no, once I'm in a specific article (such as "Disruptive") it works just fine.

Erudite

Soka said:
Thanks, will try that next time.

I feel the same about the PDF reader. The standard one works fine for what I read (short publications usually between 10-25 pages) but I couldn't imagine using it for large books.
Yeah, reading my Uni textbooks is so frustrating. It lacks even the ability to jump to a specific page, so when I have to scroll through hundreds of pages by flicking the screen repeatedly, it's so irritating.

Chesskid1

Banned
We would like to thank @mattsmith91 for this amazing boot image for #touchdroid!

cWVZ9.gif

<3 <3

Blackhead

Redarse
Yaceka said:
Woah, I never thought I'd see my brother mentioned on NeoGAF... That's the last thing I'd expect to see on here. :p
lol, he's a pretty famous developer in the webOS community. He's even replied to some of my tweets before, very nice guy.

SaitoH

Question - When using the photo app to show off pictures, I seem to hit a point where it will no longer load the high rez version of the phot. I can use the slideshow option to properly cache the pics -which isn't really good when I'm jumping around from folder to folder, otherwise I have to restart. Is their a way to do this without shutting the tablet off?

Londa

Banned
Traced-Velocity said:
Yeah, reading my Uni textbooks is so frustrating. It lacks even the ability to jump to a specific page, so when I have to scroll through hundreds of pages by flicking the screen repeatedly, it's so irritating.

Have you tried opening the textbook in the kindle app?

Top Bottom