• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

KoruptData said:
Looks like I got a lemon, thing won't charge.
Did you remove the plastic wrapping? I watched an unboxing video in which it wouldn't charge or even turn on until the guy removed the wrapping.

bob page

I probably won't open mine since I have an iPad 2, but I'm still interested to see what the homebrew community does with this thing.

One of the coolest applications of a tablet for me would be Remote Desktop Connection. Logging in to my powerful Windows desktop PC from the tablet and having full functionality would be awesome.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Can someone that has it try out streams like own3d.tv or twitch.tv? I'm an avid stream watcher and wonder how it runs on this tablet. This week is going to be an unbearable wait!

Argyle

dream said:
So I linked my Dropbox account to my Synergy profile and...can't find anything to do with it.

Is there a Dropbox client?

Try Dropboxify.

The OS also knows about Dropbox, I think you can open files from Dropbox in the document viewer, etc.

2th

Banned
MThanded said:
Its just like the ipad. Wont charge through usb on most machines. Are you plugged into the wall?

Edit: Yes google music and justin tv work. Yah yah!!!!!!

Google music you say..looks like this just got a lot better for the value. So glad I got mine ordered.

well, I'm back in business, just swapped out the mini usb cable and it worked. Now charged and now my $150 GAF browser is functioning.

Erudite

Anyone by chance run into an app that would be decent for reading textbooks on this? I'm looking for functionality such as going to a specific page, bookmarking a page, etc. Neither of those can be done on the default Adobe Reader app as far as I'm aware.

Chesskid1

Banned
damn i'm reading the tweets by the guy behind TouchDroid.

-he already said they will be needing beta testers "soon"
-he says that the HP touchpad has better all around specs then the ipad2
-he says that he thinks android is better then iOS, so when he gets android running it we will pretty much have the ultimate tablet.

and for $99.

HYPEEEEE

i didn't even know the specs when i bought the tablet, and now i know it has one of the best on the market. :eek:

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
HBO GO website works pretty well on the Touchpad browser. Only thing missing at the moment is a netflix app and hope they don't block hulu and HBO go from the browser.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Probably going to wait until ICS until I switch out of webOS. This thing is too fun to replace with gingerbread. I love the gestures and card interface and would hate to go back to 2.3s recent apps tile.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Chesskid1 said:
damn i'm reading the tweets by the guy behind TouchDroid.

-he already said they will be needing beta testers "soon"
-he says that he thinks android is better then iOS, so when he gets android running it we will pretty much have the ultimate tablet.

and for $99.

HYPEEEEE

i didn't even know the specs when i bought the tablet, and now i know it has one of the best on the market. :eek:
There are 1,286 people viewing the rootzwiki-touchpad forum. Every other forum has like 1 or 2 people.

LordCanti

Got one of the 32gb models from BB (16gb model was sold out in the area).

Anyone know if they actually have stock to ship? I'd like to purchase a case, but I'd feel silly having to return it if it turns out that the order gets canceled.

(Also, best $150 9.7" Kindle purchase ever. Tell me I'm not the only person planning to use this as an e-reader/couch web browsing device.)

Edit: Shit just got real. BB site says both models are sold out now. My purchase went through and all that, so I hope I get one.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Lee N said:

With a focus on web technologies, webOS could be deployed in the iPad’s Mobile Safari browser as a web-app; this produced similar results, with it running many times faster in the browser than it did on the TouchPad.
Yeah, I believe this, Safari is a damn amazing emulator. What the hell?

giga

Got my HP confirmation email! Happy camper.

Chesskid1 said:
Guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lyphen said:
Yeah, I believe this, Safari is a damn amazing emulator. What the hell?
webOS apps are basically web apps with deeper system integration.

VLnEg.jpg

Yeah, all the performance-boosting patches provide a huge boost in speed. The only patch I'm not sure about keeping installed is the touch sensitivity one, it requires a bit more precision than I am used to.

Shurs

Eel O'Brian said:
Yeah, all the performance-boosting patches provide a huge boost in speed. The only patch I'm not sure about keeping installed is the touch sensitivity one, it requires a bit more precision than I am used to.

That's good to hear.

The videos of the TouchPad on Youtube make the interface seem kind of laggy.

Did you install any patches that address the caching issue?

How is the battery on this? I heard 4-5 hours, under what kind of use? And I reckon the battery is impossible to replacable, right?

Chesskid1

Banned
if you install preware which is a thingy that lets your browse homebrew applications for the touchpad, it has KalemSoft Media Player in it for free to download.

but that same app is like $7 in the app store. idk, maybe it's homebrew and he decided to charge for it in the app store as well?

just a heads up, you need it to play all your media files so grab it for free. it's a must since touchpad doesn't support many video codecs.

edit: also, if anyone here knows about android, what version will we end up getting? i'm really curious to see the interface as well. if you could post up a youtube video i would greatly appreciate it.

Shurs said:
That's good to hear.

The videos of the TouchPad on Youtube make the interface seem kind of laggy.

Did you install any patches that address the caching issue?

This is everything I have installed:

EOM Overlord Monitoring
GNU Patch (came in another package)
Increase Touchpad Volume (33% voume boost, the regular version boosts by 67%)
LsDiff (came in anothe package)
Faster Card Animations HYPER version
Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness
Muffle System Logging
Quiet powerd Messages
Remove Dropped Logging
Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
Unthrottle Download Manager

I can't find anything dealing with the cache issue.

I haven't boosted the CPU, runs fast enough for me as is.

Shurs

You know, it's kind of shitty that HP highlights Vinio as one of the featured Apps on their website, when it's not yet available for the TouchPad. I wonder if Vineo will even bother releasing the App at this point.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Eel O'Brian said:
This is everything I have installed:

EOM Overlord Monitoring
GNU Patch (came in another package)
Increase Touchpad Volume (33% voume boost, the regular version boosts by 67%)
LsDiff (came in anothe package)
Faster Card Animations HYPER version
Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness
Muffle System Logging
Quiet powerd Messages
Remove Dropped Logging
Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
Unthrottle Download Manager

I can't find anything dealing with the cache issue.

I haven't boosted the CPU, runs fast enough for me as is.
These are the exact patches i installed minus the volume.

Also decreased logging in the diagnostic menu to minimal so it will only log on error states.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Chesskid1 said:
edit: also, if anyone here knows about android, what version will we end up getting? i'm really curious to see the interface as well. if you could post up a youtube video i would greatly appreciate it.
2.3.5. Nothing compared to WebOS. Just look up any Gingerbread phone on Youtube.

i heard by the time they might get honeycomb figured out (whose source isn't fully released) they might just skip to ice cream sandwich (codename for next release) because the source code for that will supposedly be fully open.

AndyD said:
So I know some people have picked up a handful of these, anyone interested in selling one?

wait for a few weeks, get it for even cheaper. People are going nuts for these right now, but demand will drop off sharply since the thing will never be updated.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Smision said:
wait for a few weeks, get it for even cheaper. People are going nuts for these right now, but demand will drop off sharply since the thing will never be updated.
It's 99$ for what is essentially a computer if you slap a bluetooth keyboard on it. You have no idea what kind of market there is for super cheap, small, flexible consumer electronics.

LordCanti

Are people really going to try to flip these? A discontinued item, that was widely publicized as being $99? Is demand high enough to flip them?

I'm not going to, but I'm sincerely wondering if anyone bought a bunch of these, thinking it was a good investment.

Lyphen said:
It's 99$ for what is essentially a computer if you slap a bluetooth keyboard on it. You have no idea what kind of market there is for super cheap, small, flexible consumer electronics.

Agreed. I've been considering an iPad 2 for a long time, at the $500 price point. This thing does basically all of the same things, except it doesn't have the "cool" factor of the iPad.

I wanted an iPad as a couch computer, and this should fit the bill nicely. I'll read on it, surf the web on it, and all it will have cost me is 1/3 or so of the basic model iPad 2. I can live without updates.

(I just hope Best Buy actually has one to ship me)

LordCanti said:
Are people really going to try to flip these? A discontinued item, that was widely publicized as being $99? Is demand high enough to flip them?

I'm not going to, but I'm sincerely wondering if anyone bought a bunch of these, thinking it was a good investment.
Several units have gone for 300 on ebay today. It's crazy.

LordCanti

Naked Snake said:
Several units have gone for 300 on ebay today. It's crazy.

WTF. Are people that stupid? Did they just not hear about the sale, and think "Wow, that's a cheap touchpad!"?

That also kind of begs the question...why did they go to $99 and $150, if they could have gone to $250 and $300.

Edit: Just realized that the deal was US only, and that people in other countries would probably see $300 as a steal. That's the only way I can rationalize the idea of someone making triple their money on a discontinued, no longer supported item.

Top Bottom