• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Petrie

Banned
Do I roll the dice and trade the 2 we have in? I love my TP but I could get a Nexus or Kindle deal for a few bucks after trade in. Help GAF!

LQX

Do I roll the dice and trade the 2 we have in? I love my TP but I could get a Nexus or Kindle deal for a few bucks after trade in. Help GAF!

I jumped from the Touchpad to the Nexus 7 and it was well worth it. The only advantage of the TP is the 10 inch screen but I guarantee within like a day it will be non-factor as you will come to the realization the smaller/lighter form factor is much more practical with the added bonus of a better OS.

Also go for the Nexus over the Kindle. It's ok but feels sort of restrictive in comparison to the Nexus and TP.

A worthwhile bump for fellow Touchpad owners: you need to boot into webOS and grab the latest app catalog update or your Touchpad will no longer be able to communicate with HP servers on July 23rd.

Basically the root certificate that webOS relies on to communicate with HP servers is expiring and on the 23rd and it's something you can easily update now (less so after the 23rd).

For more info: http://www.webosnation.com/hp-issue...-ensure-continued-access-webos-cloud-services

I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.1 nightlies and use it to test web stuff against Android stock and Chrome, but the thought of losing access to webOS in the future makes me sad. I still prefer webOS over Android—it's shocking how well it holds up to this day. I wish the original team could have found a home to continue work on it.

A worthwhile bump for fellow Touchpad owners: you need to boot into webOS and grab the latest app catalog update or your Touchpad will no longer be able to communicate with HP servers on July 23rd.

Basically the root certificate that webOS relies on to communicate with HP servers is expiring and on the 23rd and it's something you can easily update now (less so after the 23rd).

For more info: http://www.webosnation.com/hp-issue...-ensure-continued-access-webos-cloud-services

I'm running Cyanogenmod 10.1 nightlies and use it to test web stuff against Android stock and Chrome, but the thought of losing access to webOS in the future makes me sad. I still prefer webOS over Android—it's shocking how well it holds up to this day. I wish the original team could have found a home to continue work on it.

The install won't complete, tried for a couple of weeks.

Bleepey

Anyone know what I can do? My touchpad no longer charges. Ironically it stopped charging after I bought a new cable which works for other devices. Ahh well, it served me well.

Anyone know what I can do? My touchpad no longer charges. Ironically it stopped charging after I bought a new cable which works for other devices. Ahh well, it served me well.

Make sure the charger isn't disconnected, the bottom twists and if it's not fully connected it won't charge well.

Also even though it might say it's not charging, it still is, it'll just take a very long time.

Bleepey

Make sure the charger isn't disconnected, the bottom twists and if it's not fully connected it won't charge well.

Also even though it might say it's not charging, it still is, it'll just take a very long time.

I did exactly what you said after informing my brother it stopped working. What do you know, it worked now! Despite the fact I did all that an hour prior!

Edit: now it's buggered.

That charger is garbage, but it insists upon using it (not sure if it has some type of handshaking built-in or if it just detects it based on high amperage, but I'm pretty sure it complained about my iPad charger, which does 2.1 amps iirc).

Also: lots of people saying even if the Catalog update fails, you may still have the latest version and the cert. Not sure it really matters for most at this point though. I admit I only boot into webOS when I want to be depressed about how little other mobile OSes learned from what they did right.

Buy a touchstone. I have the same issue (for months now), but it still charges thru the touchstone dock.

So this happened to me too, it wouldn't charge/turn on with the packin power supply, however, when i hooked it up to a phone charger, it eventually charged. So you may have to use a phone charger for hours before you switch to the regular power supply

Fatalah

I can't believe how far Android has come on my Touchpad. I use this crazy tablet like I bought it for $500. Best purchase ever.

I can't believe how far Android has come on my Touchpad. I use this crazy tablet like I bought it for $500. Best purchase ever.

The relatively low resolution of the Touchpad screen is the only thing which makes me think I might not keep it forever. Otherwise it pretty much does everything I really want a tablet to do, and for $150 it blows every other Android tablet in it's price range out of the water even today because they don't make 10" Android tablets with 4:3 aspect screens!

Yeah I use my touchpad every day. I am so glad I bought one. I wish someone would get Windows mobile running on it though. I would love to play windows phone games and that huge screen.

It's finally happening. This weekend, I've cleared some time on my schedule to install Android on my TP. I've been strictly using WebOS since I purchased my $100 TP during the firesale almost two years ago, but I think it's finally time to say fairwell.

I see there are instructions in the OP for what I assume is a now outdated version of Android. I'm just looking for the most recent build that is considered the most stable. Should I use CyanogenMod 9 + Android 4.0, CyanogenMod 10 + Android 4.1, or CyanogenMod 10.1 + Android 4.2? Seems like there are a lot of options and many outdated/conflicting sources that are making it hard for me to determine what's the best for me.

I'm wondering if there are any new/updated guides or tips you guys have for installing Android, and which version of CM/Android I should choose? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Doopliss

It's finally happening. This weekend, I've cleared some time on my schedule to install Android on my TP. I've been strictly using WebOS since I purchased my $100 TP during the firesale almost two years ago, but I think it's finally time to say fairwell.

I see there are instructions in the OP for what I assume is a now outdated version of Android. I'm just looking for the most recent build that is considered the most stable. Should I use CyanogenMod 9 + Android 4.0, CyanogenMod 10 + Android 4.1, or CyanogenMod 10.1 + Android 4.2? Seems like there are a lot of options and many outdated/conflicting sources that are making it hard for me to determine what's the best for me.

I'm wondering if there are any new/updated guides or tips you guys have for installing Android, and which version of CM/Android I should choose? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I don't think there's any point considering CM9 unless you're really desperate for flash video in the browser, which you should know was always kind of buggy and awkward to use. The general performance was quite a bit laggier in this version.

There's a nice guide for installing CM10 so you might just want to go with that. The 4/18 build is still the latest so it's all up to date. There probably won't be any new builds for it though.

If you want the latest version CM10.1 seems pretty stable now. Bluetooth and (I think) the camera don't work yet if you care about either of those things. Compared to CM10 performance is pretty similar. The UI changed in this version - there are two system bars on the screen instead of one and they moved the navigation buttons to centre of the screen (CM10, CM10.1). They also added support for multiple users with separate profiles.

If you want CM10.1 I would just go with the latest nightly build as it's seen some good improvements over the past month. It will also mean you get all the latest security fixes; I know there have been a couple of highly publicised ones which have gone in recently and if you compare it to the last CM10 build there are probably a lot more. Installation of CM10.1 is the same as CM10 so you could follow that same guide. You would just have to swap in the right ROM and Google apps (GApps) files.

I don't think there's any point considering CM9 unless you're really desperate for flash video in the browser, which you should know was always kind of buggy and awkward to use. The general performance was quite a bit laggier in this version.

There's a nice guide for installing CM10 so you might just want to go with that. The 4/18 build is still the latest so it's all up to date. There probably won't be any new builds for it though.

If you want the latest version CM10.1 seems pretty stable now. Bluetooth and (I think) the camera don't work yet if you care about either of those things. Compared to CM10 performance is pretty similar. The UI changed in this version - there are two system bars on the screen instead of one and they moved the navigation buttons to centre of the screen (CM10, CM10.1). They also added support for multiple users with separate profiles.

If you want CM10.1 I would just go with the latest nightly build as it's seen some good improvements over the past month. It will also mean you get all the latest security fixes; I know there have been a couple of highly publicised ones which have gone in recently and if you compare it to the last CM10 build there are probably a lot more. Installation of CM10.1 is the same as CM10 so you could follow that same guide. You would just have to swap in the right ROM and Google apps (GApps) files.

Super helpful post, thank you. 10.1 looks ideal to me, so I'll get to setting it up soon! Thanks again.

Installed Android 4.1.2 on my Touchpad a few days ago (as per my previous posts). First time I've ever used Android, and I've never really used iOS or Windows Phone so this is my first mobile OS experience (besides WebOS, of course)... pretty interesting so far.

With that said, what do you guys do with your Android-modded TPs? I generally just used it, pre-Android, for web browsing, a few games, and reading PDFs of scientific papers. Anything super interesting I should be on the look out for related to those areas? I've found tons of lists online for game recommendations, and I downloaded Google Chrome for web-browsing, but haven't found the best PDF reader just yet.

gokieks

The best PDF reader I've found is actually the Kindle app. It's still not a fantastic experience, but I've never found reading PDFs on any portable device that's not a full-fledged laptop to be.

I just bought a new Nexus 7 over the weekend, so right now my TouchPad is more or less useless, but prior to that it was primarily an bed-use web (Chrome)/email (Gmail)/news (Feedly) reader and media player (Netflix, HBOGo, MX Player, Qloud Server + Media Player). And prior to me buying a Kindle Paperwhite, eBook reader (Kindle app).

Need some help, in the corner with the power button and volume rockers, the Touchpad is really overheating. I noticed it last night and turned the tablet off and checked this morning, its still happening and the battery is draining really quickly. Any one have an idea what's happening

Delio

I know this is kinda old but i need a bit of help. Is there any other way to boot the touchpad into usb mode? My volume up seems to not be working at all so that method isnt working.

All of a sudden my HP touchpad refuses to connect to my wifi. This is an interesting development!

It's a sad day when an HP Touchpad dies/fails. The one I purchased during the fire sale still runs Android 4.1 awesomely, but I bought one from Craigslist recently that the seller said was non-functional. Tried to fix it but it's a no go. If anyone out there wants a whack at it I'd totally sell it plus a wall/USB charger for $5-10 + the cost of shipping.

I'll cry the day my original TP dies, or even just loses Wifi access.

It's a sad day when an HP Touchpad dies/fails. The one I purchased during the fire sale still runs Android 4.1 awesomely, but I bought one from Craigslist recently that the seller said was non-functional. Tried to fix it but it's a no go. If anyone out there wants a whack at it I'd totally sell it plus a wall/USB charger for $5-10 + the cost of shipping.

I'll cry the day my original TP dies, or even just loses Wifi access.

Wifi actually works fine when I boot webOS!

kharma45

I'm still using mine on 4.1, xda has a promising 4.4 ROM in development though.

Part of me would love a new tablet but the TouchPad still fulfils most of what I need. Sure it's not the quickest but it's not terrible.

kmfdmpig

Mine is used almost every day by my daughter. Between the torero of us it has been used a ton. It'll be a sad day when it kicks the bucket.

Birbo

Use mine every day (posting from it now). It's still kicking, but really starting to slow down. Been meaning to allocate more memory to the Android partition, but just been too lazy to bother with it.

I had a chance to get an iPad, or the Nexus 10, but I still hang on to the Touchpad. I will say, having a 4:3 Android tablet with inductive charging really is the best way to go and no other tablet can offer that.

kharma45

My TouchPad is dead :( water damaged from the bus I was travelling on.

Considering a Surface 2 or the Venue 8 Pro as a replacement now. Not really sure though I even need a tablet, I only got the TP as it was dirt cheap.

Contemplating selling mine. Have hardly used it for the 2.5 years I've had it but it doesn't seem like quality tablets have hit the $100 price point yet.

Contemplating selling mine. Have hardly used it for the 2.5 years I've had it but it doesn't seem like quality tablets have hit the $100 price point yet.

I was thinking about doing the same thing, then this happened:

1388192_7007300966079ldd6v.jpg

:/

kmfdmpig

Yikes. My daughter has dropped mine many times and I've avoided that fate. Was it a particularly bad fall or just an unlucky one that caught the corner of something?

It was like a 1 feet fall. Was watching some tv show in bed when i fell asleep and dropped it, no idea why it broke that way.

The touch still works perfectly even in the broken area so it's still usable, just very annoying to watch stuff now.

Kolgar

Still rocking this tablet on WebOS. Should I be worried about security issues? It's a non-supported OS, so am I asking for trouble?

Still rocking this tablet on WebOS. Should I be worried about security issues? It's a non-supported OS, so am I asking for trouble?

Not enough of a user base for someone to bother hacking/conpromisingn secyrtiy in my opinion.

I still use my TP for Android daily and occasionally jump into WebOS. I love WebOS, wish it could have stuck around in a prominent way.

So after 3 years I've finally decided to sell my TP. Hate to see it go but current tablet tech is making it look like a dinosaur.

Would there be any overlap if I did a soft wipe of webOS and Android? By "overlap" I mean deleting things in the other partition.

Top Bottom