• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

reKon

Banned
July 17th has been great for me but I only upgrade like every month point whatever build they're on and its always good.

cbox

Out of nowhere my battery drained 100% in about 2-3 hours :| Anyone experience that? I'm on a very recent nightly build.

Yeah it still does the occasional idle battery drain on mine. The boot time isn't crazy so I've been powering it off when I won't be using it for awhile.

Arc

Is there really any reason I should leave behind Honeycomb, which has working camera and Netflix, for ICS? Does CM9 have those features working yet?

Ashhong

If that shitty front facing camera is that important to you, then no don't leave it. But ICS is better in every other way from battery to stability in my experience. Netflix works.

If that shitty front facing camera is that important to you, then no don't leave it. But ICS is better in every other way from battery to stability in my experience. Netflix works.

That shitty camera is what I used to skype with family twice in a week. Very important that it works hopefully in future.

knee

Is there a free camera app available for webOS?

I'm running ICS right now and I wouldn't mind rebooting into webOS if it allowed me to take a few pictures.

Joe

my mom still uses a TouchPad that I gave her. it has the most recent WebOS 3.0.5 (no android, no hacks at all).

all of a sudden google loads up in it's mobile version. even after i changed her bookmark to a URL that forces the desktop version, image results still show up in the mobile version.

is there any way to fix this? there's very limited settings for the browser. i wish there was a way to change useragents.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
my mom still uses a TouchPad that I gave her. it has the most recent WebOS 3.0.5 (no android, no hacks at all).

all of a sudden google loads up in it's mobile version. even after i changed her bookmark to a URL that forces the desktop version, image results still show up in the mobile version.

is there any way to fix this? there's very limited settings for the browser. i wish there was a way to change useragents.
Ha, this happened to me today, too. I only use the thing to play P90X videos and occasionally check something on the web; I loaded up two sites today and both automatically defaulted to the mobile version when they normally wouldn't. I honestly didn't think much of it until I saw your post. Weird.

Joe

yeah she says it literally started happening yesterday. she uses nothing but google so the mobile version is throwing her for a loop.

im trying to find some sort of hack to enable useragents or something.

LTTP on the nightly builds. I just got the latest one a couple of days ago.

Holy crap this thing feels like its twice as fast and the battery lasts twice as long. I feel like a fool for not doing it earlier, this was the way ICS was supposed to be experienced.

Wow, I was going to sell mine but with JB I may hold onto it (plus the Nexus 7 is $260 in Canada and there have been complaints about the flex and stuff).

reKon

Banned
If anyone can show me how to get USB OTG working with my Touchpad so I can use my PS3 controller, I will love you forever.

reKon

Banned
I think you can just use your ps3 controller via Bluetooth. Though if you have a Wii remote, I'd suggest that because IIRC the PS3 Bluetooth app isn't free.

I know about the bluetooth, but what I'm looking to take advantage of the games that have native support like in Dead Trigger and Shadowgun. It gets complicated sometimes in setting the controls in those games. Also, it's not as unresponsive as using USB OTG and a cable.

I am in the market for a 10inch tablet. I basically use it for browsing, most of the time. I might play few tower defense games here and there. I am particular about how fluid the OS is. It really bugs me if it is laggy.

Do you think buying the touchpad is a good option for me? I a guy wants to sell me he like new 32GB touchpad for $160 with case and all the accessories.

Yes or No?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I am in the market for a 10inch tablet. I basically use it for browsing, most of the time. I might play few tower defense games here and there. I am particular about how fluid the OS is. It really bugs me if it is laggy.

Do you think buying the touchpad is a good option for me? I a guy wants to sell me he like new 32GB touchpad for $160 with case and all the accessories.

Yes or No?
Yes and slap on ICS. I use mine to browse the web daily with Dolphin Browser HD. I don't think it's worth it without ICS though

Okay.

1. How fluid is ICS on it?

2. What kind of battery life are we looking at, with WebOS and on ICS?

3. How good is the screen? I never had a look at one, so I can't tell. I do know that the resolution is low, compared to the other tablets on the market.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm missing something obvious but I can't figure out what folder to move some PDFs to on my Touchpad to read them. I've tried Download and Downloads and whatever I move there doesn't show up, and I can't figure out how to access any other folders when Cyanogenmod is booted. Any ideas? Road trip this weekend and I'd like to be able to read some stuff.

::edit::
Nevermind, think I figured it out, kind of. Was previously just navigating the OS, but if I go into my PDF reader and then try to find files I can get to them.

I've been using stock webOS since the firesale last year, and keep considering jumping into Android but haven't taken the seemingly easy plunge yet. At this point, is it worth waiting another month or two for a more updated Jellybean to appear, or should I go with ICS? ICS seems pretty stable at this point, yes?

Yepp apart from the camera (which probably will never be functional due to closed source drivers), the ICS system runs rock solid. Really, I always liked WebOS, but Android runs so much better on the thing, not to mention the number and quality of the apps. I wouldn't wait for JB, when this gets usable, you still can upgrade if you really want.

Yepp apart from the camera (which probably will never be functional due to closed source drivers), the ICS system runs rock solid. Really, I always liked WebOS, but Android runs so much better on the thing, not to mention the number and quality of the apps. I wouldn't wait for JB, when this gets usable, you still can upgrade if you really want.

Yeah, I made the jump a couple of weeks ago and outside of losing the camera, full screen app capability, random app crashes and superior battery life, its been a better experience.
Android boots faster on the Touchpad compared to WebOS and stuff loads better as well. Its crazy seeing how without overclocking anything, in Android was better at running Kindle, Comic readers, browsers and integrating with my existing app library

For the touchpad that already has JB installed, is there a way to switch back to ICS? I am about to buy a used one that already has JB on it.

Or should I just get the WebOS one and then install ICS by myself?

cbox

Mine seems to be a bit better since I first put ICS on, but it will still drain to nothing if I don't use the tablet for a couple days, which sucks.

For the fellow android folks, have the battery drain issues been worked out yet?

No problems here since the nightlies from about mid-August here, which doesn't necessarily mean too much since it always was very random among a lot of users and their configs and always seemed rather anecdotal. I had encountered severe drain just twice in all the time if I remember correctly. But it never appeared again since the August 16 nightly or so.

So I have the first release of ICS on my touchpad and I want to upgrade to the nightly builds as I have heard wonderful things about it, is there a guide to do it, I dont want to lose any of my settings or data.

It's been real fun, but I think I'm going to sell my TouchPad while I can still get almost $200 for it.

It is a pretty awesome device, though. I use it every day with few problems. I just want to move on to a better, more official Android device.

It was my first "good" Android device, back when all the good Android devices cost like $500+ or required a mobile contract.

It's been real fun, but I think I'm going to sell my TouchPad while I can still get almost $200 for it.

It is a pretty awesome device, though. I use it every day with few problems. I just want to move on to a better, more official Android device.

It was my first "good" Android device, back when all the good Android devices cost like $500+ or required a mobile contract.

Tempted to do this but the landscape is in such a disarray right now, with Windows Tablets, iPad mini and Jelly Beans devices in the horizon, lots can happen.

So I have the first release of ICS on my touchpad and I want to upgrade to the nightly builds as I have heard wonderful things about it, is there a guide to do it, I dont want to lose any of my settings or data.

The very first? Wow, upgrade now! :p

I forgot if one of the updates required a wiping of the data. In any case, you should:
0) Download the nightly HERE
1) Boot to clockworkmod recovery and do the next steps
2) Do a full backup
3) Install the downloaded nightly zip from sd card
4) clear cache and dalvik cache
5) reboot and enjoy.

If you have problems, go back into clockworkmod and clear the data, too. You will lose your Android apps and app data, but not SD card contents (including app data on SD card).

Top Bottom