• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Has anyone recently updated the YouTube app in ICS? I was reading many negative reviews for the latest version so I decided not to update... I'm not even sure if the updated UI affects the tablet version of the app or is it only the phone app that got a big facelift.

I saw the update on the phone. My tablet version still looks the same. I'm not even sure it got an update.

danootz

Has anyone recently updated the YouTube app in ICS? I was reading many negative reviews for the latest version so I decided not to update... I'm not even sure if the updated UI affects the tablet version of the app or is it only the phone app that got a big facelift.

The smartphone app got a UI change up.

Pretty sure my Touchpad got updated to the latest version, no UI changes as far as I can tell. but I was noticing a lot of "This program is not responding. Would you like to close? [Wait] {whatever the middle option is} [OK] messages.

mclaren777

OK, I'll make a step-by-step list of instructions for updating ICS solely through the TouchPad (assuming you already have an install of ICS along with associated programs (Moboot and ClockworkMod Recovery, which you should):

1. Download the latest release from CyanogenMod Downloads. All releases are currently nightly, but there probably will be release candidate versions soon (CM9 RC releases has appeared for other devices recently). By default, the ICS Browser saves it to the Download folder. If you use another browser or manually changed the download location, this may be different.

2. Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You should be able to do this by holding down the power button until the options appear, then choosing Reboot -> Recovery.

3. Once in CWM Recovery, use the volume buttons to choose the "wipe cache partition" option and the home button to select it. Confirm by selecting "Yes - Wipe Cache".

4. Select "advanced", and then "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Confirm.

5. Go back to main menu in CWM Recovery and select "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard". Then navigate to the download location in step 1 and select the ZIP file downloaded. Confirm the install.

6. Go back to main menu and choose "reboot system now". The tablet should reboot into ICS, and you should then have the latest version.

The same process is used for basically everything CM9-related you might want to install (gapps, the wi-fi driver from a couple weeks ago, etc). You just choose the proper ZIP file.

If you download the ZIP file on your computer, the process is the same, you just have to copy the ZIP onto the TouchPad and choose the appropriate file.

I just wanted to bump this helpful tutorial for anybody who might need it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This is strange, holding down the power button is no longer prompting me to shut down or reset my touchpad.

::edit::
Great, I hard reset and now it won't turn on at all.

::edit2::
Holding home + power got it to turn on. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

1-D_FTW

I think I'm going to sell mine and get an ipad mini.

Anyone know what you'd need to do to safeguard your old settings? Would just hitting "reset to factory" in ICS and WebOS prevent data mining?

mclaren777

I just had the same problem Monroeski had. Wouldn't wake from sleep no matter what I tried.

Eventually a long hold of Home+Power allowed me to reboot.

:/

mclaren777

I'm trying to get my Touchpad to recognize connection to my Canon 60D camera.

Do I need to do something special for that to happen? Simply connecting them via USB isn't working and I already tried both of these options...

Edit: this sounds like a grand hassle

iBqgOt21Y2lwB.png

1-D_FTW

Not really, only the factory reset in device info.

That's kind of been what I'm assuming. Not going to list mine till this weekend, so if this is a mistake and a I need to wipe things better, hopefully somebody will quote with relevant directions.

TCRS

Banned
I did delete all my pictures and accounts (facebook, email etc.) before doing the reset. Just to be sure ;)

Wiping off the fingerprints from the backside was a pain in the a though...

I use mine all the fricken time; Browser, Google Drive, Youtube, Facebook, Email, Videos (MX Player), Music, eBooks, remote desktop (2X Client), online radio, location-based services, etc.

Yeah, best 99 bucks ever spent.

Since I don't have a smartphone (Android or iOS) though; having access to these apps on the tablet is a big boon. If I had a good phone then I probably wouldn't use the Touchpad as much.

I use mine all the fricken time; Browser, Google Drive, Youtube, Facebook, Email, Videos (MX Player), Music, eBooks, remote desktop (2X Client), online radio, location-based services, etc.

Yeah, best 99 bucks ever spent.

Since I don't have a smartphone (Android or iOS) though; having access to these apps on the tablet is a big boon. If I had a good phone then I probably wouldn't use the Touchpad as much.

I usually just use it during lunch at work and at home when I remember that I own it, lol, I usually find myself using my iPhone 4 just because its always in my pocket, but then I go "why am I not doing this in the touchpad"

Anyway, im happy with my purchase.

reKon

Banned
I use mine before I go to bed for web browsing and games (I use the app Datasync for game saves between my Nexus and the touchpad). Also I used it a ton for Netflix when my friend had an account. I understand the convenience and why people say they don't need their laptops and just an iPad. If you didn't care about MSFT office or STEAM, having a strong tablet and a comfortable keyboard is all you need

reKon

Banned
Just a heads up: Skype and google hangouts, the camera, and a bunch of third party apps are working now . The fix will probably be implemented into the next nightly.

I still use mine a lot for browsing and streaming fighting game stuff.

Mine is dual boot, but I end up using webos more often because the battery drain is way less and it can keep in sleep mode.

Was thinking about selling it and getting a nexus7, but idk. It is kinda heavy.

Just a heads up: Skype and google hangouts, the camera, and a bunch of third party apps are working now . The fix will probably be implemented into the next nightly.

That's great! When did they get the microphone working? Or is that new too?

I installed Dolphin browser, question: can I disable/hide the button that's permanently displayed in the bottom-left corner? It blocks the NeoGAF logo when I'm at the end of a page in a thread (mobile forum), which I frequently use to access the main forum page. I looked through the settings but couldn't find a way to hide it. Kind of stupid design decesion if you ask me to have a permanent UI element that's superimposed inside the frame of the web page.

I wonder if they'll ever really get CM10 working on TP. Realistically if they are stuck on kernel 2.6.35, Project Butter won't do a whole lot for the TP, since it works at the kernel and governor level to improve how Android performs.

1-D_FTW

Hmm. Maybe I'll keep it a little longer. Especially until I'm sure the mini Ipad actually has an IPS screen. Some of those rumors are a little unsettling. And a tablet is the one place where I will refuse anything other than IPS (although I will defend my TN 120hz monitor till the end).

Mic has been working for a few months now.

Yeah. It's been working and working great. Even the voice search works amazing well (which is not for everyone, but has its place when you're feeling lazy and not in public).

Just noticed a speaker crack, doh... :(

Mines been cracked all the way with a smaller crack on the other speaker. It doesn't affect the sound so I'm not bothering with sending it back to HP. For a product that originally cost $500, the build quality is pretty garbage though.

Which of the circled apps, if any, can be deleted without negative side effects?

[]http://i.minus.com/iUN1QWBcM36Oi.png[/IMG]

[]http://i.minus.com/iOAX1LjEaH2QK.png[/IMG]

Camera, Local, Google+, Clock (if you don't want alarms), Messenger, Movie studio, Navigation, Search, Talk and Voice Dialer

Use Link2SD to uninstall system apps.

You can probably delete email too if you don't really want to receive mails.

Top Bottom