• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

How to I go about upgrading Cynaogenmod 7 to stable 9/10?

OK, I'll make a step-by-step list of instructions for updating ICS solely through the TouchPad (assuming you already have an install of ICS along with associated programs (Moboot and ClockworkMod Recovery, which you should):

1. Download the latest release from CyanogenMod Downloads. All releases are currently nightly, but there probably will be release candidate versions soon (CM9 RC releases has appeared for other devices recently). By default, the ICS Browser saves it to the Download folder. If you use another browser or manually changed the download location, this may be different.

2. Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You should be able to do this by holding down the power button until the options appear, then choosing Reboot -> Recovery.

3. Once in CWM Recovery, use the volume buttons to choose the "wipe cache partition" option and the home button to select it. Confirm by selecting "Yes - Wipe Cache".

4. Select "advanced", and then "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Confirm.

5. Go back to main menu in CWM Recovery and select "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard". Then navigate to the download location in step 1 and select the ZIP file downloaded. Confirm the install.

6. Go back to main menu and choose "reboot system now". The tablet should reboot into ICS, and you should then have the latest version.

The same process is used for basically everything CM9-related you might want to install (gapps, the wi-fi driver from a couple weeks ago, etc). You just choose the proper ZIP file.

If you download the ZIP file on your computer, the process is the same, you just have to copy the ZIP onto the TouchPad and choose the appropriate file.

if from scratch follow the instruction form website.

I downloaded the latest one from

Here

Camera still does not work.

last post lol.

My CM9-TP didn't recharge past 41% even though it was plugged in the whole nigh and still had the "charge symbol" in the morning - weird - hopefully just a one-time bug.

Hmm, since you can't chose the TP as your device in the play store there is no telling if a game you're about to purchase is fully functional. So does anyone know of a games compatibility list or something like that?

Wow. First time i've paired my TouchPad Bluetooth keyboard to ICS, and holy hell i've been missing out.

It works perfectly in Chrome with all the keyboard shortcuts.

elty

I can't imagine my Touchpad is barely a year old. Feels like a long time with so many newer, faster and better tablet coming out.

Birbo

Wanted to download the new Xbox SmartGlass app to my Touchpad, but it said it wasn't compatible. Did some searching and found a working download. Credit to Corngood at XDA Devlopers.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ce4ci643uncgi7z

It might take a couple of tries to connect to your Xbox the first time. Make sure your Xbox is on and smartglass is enabled first. Enjoy.

I'm still on WebOS, but it seems that long term use has revealled a persistant OS glitch.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/307149-missing-bookmarks-no-e-mail-no-connections.html

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/311220-tp-needs-daily-re-boot.html

Basically on a daily basis WebOS loses your account info, so emails, bookmarks, etc disappear. A Luna reboot fixes the problem.

There is even a preware app to run daily reboots in the background!!!

It could be connected to the amount of available space in the VAR directory and over time all the cache data introduces the glitch. The reboot removes some data from VAR but not enough before glitch occurs again.

The db_recover fixed mentioned in one thread did not fix it for me.

Hmm, since you can't chose the TP as your device in the play store there is no telling if a game you're about to purchase is fully functional. So does anyone know of a games compatibility list or something like that?

If you search for the game from Google Play on the TP, and the game doesn't appear in the results, then it's a very good bet it's not compatible. In general, all EA and Gameloft games will not work, so don't waste your time or money trying.

I'm still on WebOS, but it seems that long term use has revealled a persistant OS glitch.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/307149-missing-bookmarks-no-e-mail-no-connections.html

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/311220-tp-needs-daily-re-boot.html

Basically on a daily basis WebOS loses your account info, so emails, bookmarks, etc disappear. A Luna reboot fixes the problem.

There is even a preware app to run daily reboots in the background!!!

It could be connected to the amount of available space in the VAR directory and over time all the cache data introduces the glitch. The reboot removes some data from VAR but not enough before glitch occurs again.

The db_recover fixed mentioned in one thread did not fix it for me.

yes it does loose account info on email.

nataku

Anyone else still having wifi issues? I updated my TP to the newest nightly (10/28) and it says my wifi is not in range, even though it's literally right next to my router. Wifi was kind of spotty before when I put CM9 on it months ago, but it at least worked most of the time. I've tried two nightly builds so far and it's still out of range, even though every other wifi network it detects shows as working.

I wish I could remember what release of CM9 I was using before. I'd just go back to that then.

EDIT: I booted into WebOS and the wifi works just fine.

speedline

Banned
I put android on my touchpad a couple months ago, but now when it tries to boot into android it just stays at the little robot guy with the flashy background. Anyone know why this happened all of a sudden or how I can fix it?

Anyone else still having wifi issues? I updated my TP to the newest nightly (10/28) and it says my wifi is not in range, even though it's literally right next to my router. Wifi was kind of spotty before when I put CM9 on it months ago, but it at least worked most of the time. I've tried two nightly builds so far and it's still out of range, even though every other wifi network it detects shows as working.

I wish I could remember what release of CM9 I was using before. I'd just go back to that then.

EDIT: I booted into WebOS and the wifi works just fine.

WiFi has been good for me since I started using the nightly builds. Sounds like something may have went wrong in the installation process?

nataku

WiFi has been good for me since I started using the nightly builds. Sounds like something may have went wrong in the installation process?

That's what I thought, too, so I reinstalled. Nothing.

I've now gone through every nightly build they have on the download page, and none of them let me connect to my wifi. I don't understand it. I haven't moved my router or anything since switching from that old build I had, haven't changed any settings. All my other devices connect to my wifi just fine. The TP itself connects under WebOS.

Doopliss

I've now gone through every nightly build they have on the download page, and none of them let me connect to my wifi. I don't understand it. I haven't moved my router or anything since switching from that old build I had, haven't changed any settings. All my other devices connect to my wifi just fine. The TP itself connects under WebOS.
There are some older unofficial nightlies still available here. You could give one of them a try.

deduce

I put android on my touchpad a couple months ago, but now when it tries to boot into android it just stays at the little robot guy with the flashy background. Anyone know why this happened all of a sudden or how I can fix it?
I had the same problem. Not sure what happened, but I wound up using ACMEUninstaller then reinstalled Android.

Guiberu

You've got a Kernal conflict.

You could try using the WiFi fix patch from the Fat'n'Creamy ROM on XDA - or you could ACMEUninstall to a fresh/clean state and install your Android of choice that way.

There was a time when AOKP and Cyanogen used different WiFi Kernals, and one would interfer with the other - causing the WiFi to simply not connect.

reKon

Banned
I'm using the CM 10 preview 2 from jcsullins (was just put up today). My goodness it's great. This is what the touch pad was missing. All it needed was a little bit of jellybean butter and now I can say that it's as smooth as using an iPad 2...

Apparently the only issue with the preview is the battery drain, but that will surely improve once the nightlies roll out. I can't wait until the working camera is merged in. Pretty soon we should able to flash the new gapps for 4.2 in (or maybe we can do it now... but I don't want to break anything).

Update: After using this ROM for a few days I can say it's just as stable as CM9 (except scrolling in chrome is weird). I noticed that the tablet in portrait mode doesn't perform as smoothly as in landscape mode though.

After not using my touchpad for months, I decided to update from Gingerbread to ICS. Did a basic wipe and install from zip for ICS but left GAPPS alone since I already did that with Gingerbread. Upon reboot I noticed some key apps missing and I can't access the market so I downloaded and flashed the latest GAPPS from the below link but I get an abort message when trying to flash. I grabbed the one meant for CyanogenMod 9.0.x 4.0.3-4 according to the table. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

http://goo.im/gapps

kharma45

Saw a post on xda last night about it when I was browsing (at least I think it was on xda) and someone said in the last JB build it's better than CM9.

nataku

You've got a Kernal conflict.

You could try using the WiFi fix patch from the Fat'n'Creamy ROM on XDA - or you could ACMEUninstall to a fresh/clean state and install your Android of choice that way.

There was a time when AOKP and Cyanogen used different WiFi Kernals, and one would interfer with the other - causing the WiFi to simply not connect.

I uninstalled CM9 with ACMEUninstall and then reinstalled CM9 and it still doesn't work. It still says out of range.

A crack has started to appear on each of my speakers ;_; I avoided it for so long.

I had a crack on my left speaker for a few months, and only yesterday noticed a crack on my right speaker. :(

I might try CM10, but I have way too much stuff installed (not just apps, but I even partitioned the TouchPad and installed Ubuntu) so I don't want to lose apps+data and run out of space.

If you have a crack, and it's still within warranty, they'll replace it for you. That's what I did back in March and got a refurbished one, almost brand new out the box.

kharma45

Just looking at when I bought mine, August 2011. Didn't realise I'd had it so long.

Nice to see of late too that TouchPad Android development has picked up some pace again.

Jangocube

Banned
Whats the best Microsoft Office/Excel viewer for Android Tablets? Trying to find a decent one that doesn't cost much, but no luck so far. Just started looking though

Whats the best Microsoft Office/Excel viewer for Android Tablets? Trying to find a decent one that doesn't cost much, but no luck so far. Just started looking though

I use Google Drive. You can upload/convert MS Office files, fully edit them, save/export them back into Office format. I think there is a limit to the file size you can import though.

My official HP case got worn down real fast. The rubber corners are stretching out. =/

Just looking at when I bought mine, August 2011. Didn't realise I'd had it so long.

Nice to see of late too that TouchPad Android development has picked up some pace again.

Yep its been more than a year and I still use mine regularly.

Okay I have a big issue...ever since I installed Cyanogenmod 9 on this thing everything has been crashing. Facebook, Gapps, Clock...I don't know what to do.

Is there a way I can just restore it to factory settings and reinstall?

kharma45

Tempted to move on to CM10 but I know some time I'd let the battery run down in my TP and I'd have the sort of luck where it'd brick.

Doopliss

CM10 Preview 4 with working camera

In the CM9 version, I hear that the working camera is fully functional and almost all the bugs are gone. That camera fix is finally going to be officially merged into the next CM9 nightly.
Preview 5 is up (same link).

According to that thread it's a good idea to flash new builds with ACMEInstaller3, as CWM has a risk of causing file system corruption. Not sure if that only applies to CM10.

Top Bottom