• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Make sure you put the .zip in the cminstall folder. Don't extract the .zip.
First thing I did was to make sure the files were in their correct format. I also made sure the spelling was correct. I honestly can't find an error, but there has to be one if the installer can't recognize the cminstall folder.

Edit: I actually have that problem were it claims that the SD card is damaged. Could that be reason? I was hoping that installing ICS would fix that problem.

Edit 2: It was the SD card problem.

OK, so it isn't really like updating WebOS at all then. You have to always hook it up to your computer.

You just need to download the file, you can do it in Android itself. For CM9 I downloaded the file via the browser in CM7 and then selected it from the downloads folder in recovery mode.

It's not a one click update like with Web OS, but once you know what you're doing it's a 30 second job that requires nothing but the device itself.

Something non-Android related that I'm excited about are the Linux ports to the Touchpad.

There are currently some native Linux builds like Ubuntu and Arch Linux, but they lack hardware acceleration, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, etc... With CM9's source out, I'm pretty sure it'll be much easier for those Linux builds to gain those things, but I'm unsure about the specifics.
Edit: A post on the matter.

sfedai0

Banned
Thanks for the help guys...I got the double penguins now. Am I installing Gingerbread or ICS though? Since the directions I got were kinda old.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sounds about right. This is how it was for me. It's not the same for everybody

http://i.imgur.com/FeuTg.jpg

Also posting this for new page to help people install CM9

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34387268&postcount=4787

Thanks for sharing this.. a quick question that has hopefully not just been answered 5 posts ago (long day at work)

If i have cm 7 installed.. do i need to do anything special to over ride it? or just run through the exact same instillation process and it should go over it/upgrade?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Thanks for sharing this.. a quick question that has hopefully not just been answered 5 posts ago (long day at work)

If i have cm 7 installed.. do i need to do anything special to over ride it? or just run through the exact same instillation process and it should go over it/upgrade?

i had 3.5 and just installed normally except for using acmeinstaller2. All of my apps and settings carried over with no problem

Thanks for the help guys...I got the double penguins now. Am I installing Gingerbread or ICS though? Since the directions I got were kinda old.
cm7 zip= gingerbread
cm9 zip = ICS

Kintaco

If you installed update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip then it's ICS. Otherwise it's Gingerbread...(shudder)...

sfedai0

Banned
If you installed update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip then it's ICS. Otherwise it's Gingerbread...(shudder)...

Sorry man, Im totally new to this but Im obviously in GB, and the wifi doesnt even work. Anyways, update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip is what I need to download right? Do I go through the same exact process I just went through to get Gingerbread on?

SteveO409

Sorry man, Im totally new to this but Im obviously in GB, and the wifi doesnt even work. Anyways, update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0-fullofbugs.zip is what I need to download right? Do I go through the same exact process I just went through to get Gingerbread on?

except this time you use acmeinstaller2 and cm9 zip

Guiberu

lol, I tried to reboot in to WebOS and now I cant even turn it back on. :(

Home + Power for ~15 seconds. Should blip, then come back to life.

Still loving the ICS. Had a few reboots, specifically when trying to use Photoshop Touch, but other than that...it's glorious.

Ashhong

I just installed CM9 and this thing is pretty smooth! I'm loving the Marketplace, although it is a bit overwhelming, especially coming from the emptiness that was the WebOS app store. I do miss being able to flick away an app :-( I had no issues with WebOS so I kinda miss it.

What you talking about? Press the little application switcher button and then flick away! :)

I got ICS finally! But is anyone having issues with wifi? I seem to connect but never can access any webpages.

Wifi seems to be a problem no both GB and ICS for select people. I assume you have nothing you really need to save on Android? You should do a completely clean install without ACMEinstaller when coming from GB.

Put the CM9 zip, gapps, and charger+systemui fixer zip in your root directory.
Boot to recovery
wipe data, cache, and go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache
install zip from sd card. CM9->gapps->charger fix

done!

edit: anyone else get an email from Google? I guess they think the Touchpad is a Galaxy Nexus, got an email welcoming me to the Nexus lol

SteveO409

What you talking about? Press the little application switcher button and then flick away! :)

Wifi seems to be a problem no both GB and ICS for select people. I assume you have nothing you really need to save on Android? You should do a completely clean install without ACMEinstaller when coming from GB.

Put the CM9 zip, gapps, and charger+systemui fixer zip in your root directory.
Boot to recovery
wipe data, cache, and go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache
install zip from sd card. CM9->gapps->charger fix

done!

edit: anyone else get an email from Google? I guess they think the Touchpad is a Galaxy Nexus, got an email welcoming me to the Nexus lol

Yeah I got that email too lol

So wifi worked fine at home last night when I installed ICS, took it to McDonald's today at lunch. Wifi worked fine for a few minutes, now I can't connect to any wifi. Thoughts?

1-D_FTW

So wifi worked fine at home last night when I installed ICS, took it to McDonald's today at lunch. Wifi worked fine for a few minutes, now I can't connect to any wifi. Thoughts?

Have you ever taken your TP out in public before? Even with WebOS, many people have lots of issues with it. Seems like the driver for Wifi is terribad. For 150 dollars, I can live with it. But how they thought they could sell these for 599.99 with such basic problems defies belief.

freshair

2 things:

- Is there a way to move the status bar to the top? I had it that way in cm7 and I've gotten used to it

- I'm trying to install a 3.0+ app (Reddita) and within the market it still says that it's not compatible with my device. Any ideas why?

Other than those issues everything seems to be running smoothly for me. What weather/clock widgets is everybody using? I tried the asus transformer one and it's pretty cool.

Have you ever taken your TP out in public before? Even with WebOS, many people have lots of issues with it. Seems like the driver for Wifi is terribad. For 150 dollars, I can live with it. But how they thought they could sell these for 599.99 with such basic problems defies belief.

Hmm, no I'd never taken the Touchpad out in the wild before. Should the wifi work when I'm back on my own network?
Thanks!

Guiberu

Hmm, no I'd never taken the Touchpad out in the wild before. Should the wifi work when I'm back on my own network?
Thanks!
Try long pressing your network in wifi settings, forget the network, then disable/re-enable wifi, connect to your network and re-entering the passkey.

SRG01

Yeah, unless someone rewrites the wifi driver, we shouldn't expect big improvements.

Then again, HP is supposedly open-sourcing their drivers soon, so...

DJ_Tet

Banned
I hope they do release the drivers if only to hope for a sound fix.

Anyone with audio issues previously (on webOS or CM7) upgraded to CM9 yet? Have you experienced the crackling audio yet?

1-D_FTW

They are? I know they're open sourcing WebOS, but if they do the drivers too, that'll be pretty amazing.

Technically, the sold a number of TP's with Android installed on it. They're supposed to be obligated to release the source code. But they're pretending this didn't happen. So here's hoping. Things like battery life will never be properly addressed unless HP does this.

Other than those issues everything seems to be running smoothly for me. What weather/clock widgets is everybody using? I tried the asus transformer one and it's pretty cool.

Stuck with SimiClock and BeautifulWidgets. Looks nice I think but I'll be tweaking it more I reckon.

screenshot_2012-01-19u85q9.png

Need to find better Icons or make my own.

kehs

Banned
Do you guys find the specific tablet apps to feel "crowded"? I ask because most tablets out there are for 16:10 and thus flowed out primarily for that.

Chesskid1

Banned
installing now!!

was gonna wait because there is a bunch of things that worry me, like the market being buggy and other bugs i've read about but i can't wait, you guys got me hyped!

let's go!

sfedai0

Banned
Anyone have trouble syncing their email accounts? Mine just seems to have the sync logo spin, without anything happening. But Gmail syncs perfectly......

Nif

I saw like 6 of these at the BestBuy on Millerville in Baton Rouge LA. They were full price, though. The guy helping me said they put them up as a joke. Heh.

Ashhong

Is the dock working for people? I see no dock. Even installed Nova Launcher and still no dock. Should there not be one? I miss it..

sfedai0

Banned
Google syncing is borked for me (Gmail & Calendar work fine; Marketplace is done goofed as well as everything else).

Hmm, marketplace works fine for me. Netflix has sound, but no video and flash is wonky. I was not impressed with Gingerbread when compared to WebOS, but ICS is so much more refined.

sfedai0

Banned
So what are some crucial apps that we should get? I'm still kind of new to widgets, and not sure if I really need a launcher......suggestions?

kmfdmpig

So what are some crucial apps that we should get? I'm still kind of new to widgets, and not sure if I really need a launcher......suggestions?

Before ICS there were a few popular launchers:
Go
ADW
Launcher Pro

I'm not using a launcher with ICS, and don't plan on starting soon.

In terms of apps there's a great thread here that has several:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457282&highlight=android

For me two must haves are:
Perfect Viewer for comics
Pulse for news

There are several good games as well.

SRG01

They are? I know they're open sourcing WebOS, but if they do the drivers too, that'll be pretty amazing.

They said during the WebOS open-sourcing announcement. Basically, the Touchpad currently uses some proprietary drivers which they obviously can't release to the public. That's why they have to write some open-source drivers.

Then again, it's a Qualcomm chipset, so someone should be able to find a driver from another Android device and pop it in directly.

Is the ICS browser much better for watching video?

example: streaming Dota2 tourneys or watching replays is so hit n miss with the touchpad. Tons of buffering and pauses.

Will this be much better with ICS? That's all I use the touchpad for btw, browsing.

Ashhong

Some of my apps, like Angry Birds from Amazon Market, are installing to my tablets internal memory instead of the bigger "SD card" partition. Anybody else experiencing this? Any way to set the SD card to default?

And how do I get the dock working on this...or is that a bug from the Alpha?

Rengoku

Some of my apps, like Angry Birds from Amazon Market, are installing to my tablets internal memory instead of the bigger "SD card" partition. Anybody else experiencing this? Any way to set the SD card to default?

And how do I get the dock working on this...or is that a bug from the Alpha?

Not sure about setting the SD card to default, but what you can do is go to the Apps section under Settings, selecting the app brings you to App Info, in there is the option to Move to SD Card.

Top Bottom