• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynoro

DevelopmentArrested said:
whats the best p&c adventure out?
mysterious island?
This is the only one I've tried so far; but I couldn't get on with it at all - just hoping for Lucasarts back catalogue to come along or Monkey Island at least :D

pilonv1

Shaneus said:
"Not available in the Australian store" FFS. What is it?

I saw Powerpro in Pandora Box. It says there's 6 teams, exhibition and pennant mode. 20/50/162 game seasons with 3/6/9 innings.

turns out it's not on our store

Chinner

Banned
The_Reckoning said:
Searched, didn't see that this was posted. Looks great, albeit a bit clunky. Not bad for three weeks imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S302f77AB-k
That's impressive.

Also I have a question regarding auto-brightness and battery. At the moment I have the brightness set to quite abit over half way with auto-brightness set on, and what this does for me is make the phone dimly lit (like a very low setting) constantly. One of the settings I'm thinking of changing to is setting the brightness to just under a quarter with auto brightness off. This makes it so that than its actually brighter than the other setting despite it being over half way.

edit: its actually slightly dimmer than the other setting, so it shud save batteryz.

Basically, I'm just wondering which one will save me moar battery?

Masklinn said:
Zombieville USA got an update to 1.4: introduction of melee weapons (low damage but knockback + criticals), girly men can play with extra lives, new controls (movement keys on one side, action on the other) classic controls still available.
The dev is doing so well with Zombieville, It's a great time wasting game and it's great to see even more content added.

Interfectum

Official WoW Armory iPhone app out (free): http://www.wowarmory.com/iphone.xml

iphoneappimg1.jpg

Barrett2

You guys weren't kidding about Baseball Sluggers, this game is great. Bought it last night during the sale, its pretty awesome.

enewtabie

Picked up Peggle(Cause having it on two other platforms isn't enough apparently)
and Isotope. Not bad and has a very geometery warish aesthetic.

What about the Real Racing game? It's over my iphone app limit at 10 bux, but it looks like it might be worth it.

kaskade

enewtabie said:
Picked up Peggle(Cause having it on two other platforms isn't enough apparently)
and Isotope. Not bad and has a very geometery warish aesthetic.

What about the Real Racing game? It's over my iphone app limit at 10 bux, but it looks like it might be worth it.
Real Racing is really fun, especially if you are looking for a racer it's definitely the best out there.

Costanza

Banned
Puzzlings - $2.99 Introductory Price (regularly $4.99)

Video

Limited time introductory price of $2.99!!

"Puzzlings is positively adorable. The entire game is popping with clever art that has a Paul Frank vibe to it." -IGN Wireless

"The game offers a fit and polish that makes if feel like a great title." -Touch Arcade

"The gameplay? Wow." – GameZone

“The hook is in the game's vastly customizable characters.” -SlidetoPlay

Puzzlings is an adventure game that delivers a twist on match 3. Flip, swap, and spin blocks using your fingers. Solve puzzles and fit pieces of a talisman together to unlock items. Find over 120 items. Customize your avatar with a myriad of outfits, features, and accessories. Take pics of your avatar and email to friends.

Created by Bight Games and published by Sonic Boom.

286132.jpg

286132_2.jpg

286132_3.jpg

286132_4.jpg

286132_5.jpg

Costanza said:
Puzzlings - $2.99 Introductory Price (regularly $4.99)

That looks incredibly cute. :lol

Heya. I haven't been on this thread much, so I don't know if it's been discussed before - but do any developers post their wares here? What's your take on that? Spam?

hyp

animlboogy said:
Which baseball game is the best to get? There's so many that have been received well in this thread alone!
sluggers and baseball superstars 09 are keepers for sure. i believe they both have lite versions as well.

HBP

animlboogy said:
Which baseball game is the best to get? There's so many that have been received well in this thread alone!

Right now Sluggers is a fun home run derby game and which you can upgrade your character and have good online competition.

Both Baseball Superstars and 9 Innings are supposed to be good, and there aren't enough impressions of Power Pros yet.

Barrett2

Stoney Mason said:
And now it's #1.

why would this game hit #1? I don't see anything particularly eye-catching about the name, pics, etc. The herd mentality in App purchasing is strange.

Another thing baffling me, why does Hero of Sparta have thousands of reviews, but other popular games have < 100? I don't get it.

Mrbob

I wish there was a better way to track sales on Iphone app games.

Touch to know when they are on sale unless you check.

Some games do sales where they'll go 99 cents the first day, 1.99 the second, and then 2.99 the 3rd back up to 3.99. Well you know what if I missed the 99 cent sale I'll wait for it to go back to 99 cents. Not that I can't afford 1.99 or 2.99, but why pay more when its offered for less?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lawblob said:
Another thing baffling me, why does Hero of Sparta have thousands of reviews, but other popular games have < 100? I don't get it.
I think Hero of Sparta was one of more expensive games that all of a sudden dropped the price to $1 and it stayed at #1 spot forever after that. I dunno, I tried the demo, thought it was trash, and never bothered with it anymore.

Costanza

Banned
Mrbob said:
I wish there was a better way to track sales on Iphone app games.

Touch to know when they are on sale unless you check.

Some games do sales where they'll go 99 cents the first day, 1.99 the second, and then 2.99 the 3rd back up to 3.99. Well you know what if I missed the 99 cent sale I'll wait for it to go back to 99 cents. Not that I can't afford 1.99 or 2.99, but why pay more when its offered for less?
Download an app called PandoraBox

Slacker

radiantdreamer said:
That looks incredibly cute. :lol

Heya. I haven't been on this thread much, so I don't know if it's been discussed before - but do any developers post their wares here? What's your take on that? Spam?
Considering it takes six+ months to get an account here, we don't have any drive-bys spamming us. Anyone posting their wares here are real deal gaffers, and from the reactions I've seen most all of us are happy to support them. Group hug, anyone?

NYCrooner

Baseball Sluggers is amazing fun. I picked it up during the the 'break' for only .99 and it is easily worth more. I have 4 baseball games on my iphone now but none are quite ready for the majors. I'm gonna pick-up PowerPros Touch later today and give my impressions later. MLB the Show for PSP is still the best portable baseball on the market.

animlboogy said:
Baseball Slugger is the best game on the platform as far as I'm concerned. The online is fantastic.

I'm a sucker for Power Pros, and Konami games don't seem to drop in price much (and now that I've said that it'll be 99 cents next week), so I bit on PP Touch. I've only played one game on the easiest difficulty but it doesn't seem nearly as junky as the DS version and I enjoyed it more than Baseball Superstars. Pretty polished for an iPhone game. Nice menus, doesn't take long to get a game going on 3GS, and thankfully there's no virtual d-pad. It's all touch. Batting is similar to Ouendan and it works pretty well I think. Pitching seemed a bit too simple at first - just choose your pitch, then tap where you want to throw it - but it's slightly more difficult if you choose the Sliding option. Then it's somewhat closer to aiming your pitches in the console version. Kinda wish you also had to set the power of the pitch but this isn't too bad.

I suck at fielding in these games so I just left it on auto and it was fine. Tap on the base you want to throw to. Works well enough. Baserunning works well on manual, since you just tap ADVANCE or RETREAT depending on what you wanna do, and you can Dash. Dunno if you hold that down or mash it or what, but it's there. I don't approve of games that don't let me dash!

My exhibition game went 12 innings before it ended in a 2-2 tie. I suck. It was fun, though. Maybe I'll sour on it as I play more but right now I'm digging it, which I really didn't expect.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
lawblob said:
HoS was there long before the rule of "you can only review if you've bought the game" was implemented?

lawblob said:
why would this game hit #1? I don't see anything particularly eye-catching about the name, pics, etc. The herd mentality in App purchasing is strange.

Hmmm.... I disagree about the herd mentality or that its any different than the herd mentality on any platform. I Dig it is a good game. It's pretty much a clone of the popular flash game Motherload and while that may not be something that is appealing to everyone it is appealing enough to a large segment of people apparently to get it up there after getting a little exposure.

The interesting question isn't why a title hits #1 per se. The interesting question is always what drives a title into the top 10 or 20. Apple pushing it on the iphone itunes app store and itunes app store on the pc is a large driving force of course but even then some titles never break out as much as you would expect even with the push. And of course the tyranny of the 99 cent app will always help any 99 cent app.

As far as Hero of Sparta and the number of reviews it's been on the app store a long time. It was popular when it was expensive. It's even more popular when its at 99 cents of course. That is partially why it has so many reviews. As someone else mentioned also it may have been up there for a period of time early on when Apple hadn't tightened the review process where you could review games you didn't even own.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
That's just not fair. I hope he can at least just rename the game and re-release it. But I hope someone goes into court about this against Langdell, and wins.

You would think and hope so, but you never know what the copyright courts can be like.

Barrett2

Stoney Mason said:
The interesting question isn't why a title hits #1 per se. The interesting question is always what drives a title into the top 10 or 20. Apple pushing it on the iphone itunes app store and itunes app store on the pc is a large driving force of course but even then some titles never break out as much as you would expect even with the push. And of course the tyranny of the 99 cent app will always help any 99 cent app.

The whole thing is fascinating, scrolling through the top 100 games every other day and seeing the rankings. I wonder how much Facebook / Twitter / challenge-email-invites and other integrated features contribute to sales of a game, versus random scrolling through the App store looking for something to buy, or similarity to popular PC / flash games.

Hanzou

ugh that really bothers me. I wanted to get edge but always just put it off as although everyone says it is awesome, I played the lite version and while I saw what could be awesome, I didn't blow me away. I was going to wait for a sale or get it when I was bored of the games I already have. Now it looks like I may not ever be able to play it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Masklinn said:
:(
edit:

Oh snap...
Oh crap. I think communication with people making these decisions in the app store is slow and terrible from what I've heard :\ He should just rename it to CUBE at this point.

Barrett2

RIP EDGE

Hopefully Langdell gets put in his place eventually.

On a lighter note, Baseball Sluggers online play is awesome! I just had someone rage-quit on me, and it gave me the points for winning. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom