• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBP

Union Carbine said:
Picked up Baseball Slugger 3D, Jungle Bloxx, and now Coast Guard this morning. Damn these free/$.99 games!

I'm going to hold off on The Quest for now, maybe wait on a sale. I'd really like a turn-based RPG in the old school style (Bard's Tale, Dragon Wars, Wasteland, etc.) I think that style could really work if done well on the iPhone.

Everyone should get Sluggers 3D at the sale price, it's a lot of fun!

Khanage

TAITO BRINGING SPACE INVADERS INFINITY GENE TO IPHONE

http://www.offworld.com/2009/07/gene-therapy-taito-bringing-sp.html

Youtube link

Back in some of Offworld's earliest days I mentioned an obscure addition to the Space Invaders family tree: Infinity Gene, a vector-sharp retro-future take on the series made specifically for Japanese mobile phones (as below). The then-recently-announced DSiWare seemed a logical choice for the game to eventually move to, but Taito have just got in touch to let me know they're taking it in a different direction: the iPhone.

And that's perhaps the better move it could've made, so as not to compete against its own Extreme brothers, though they are quite different games. Where Extreme kept you tethered to that X axis, Infinity Gene will let you -- from what I understand so far -- move your ship around the screen at will via touch controls, and, as above, comes equipped with a new rapid-fire laser that puts it much more in keeping with later arcade shooters than the original Invaders.
Infinity's true evolution, as its name suggests, happens by collecting the gene clusters seen at top right which will, at times, break you out of the action and bring you to a new evolution screen that informs you which new capabilities or weapons you've unlocked. And its enemies have evolved as well, with new impenetrable shields (seen top left), new weapons, and massive screen-filling bosses (my favorite bit of the video, apart from the terrifying Zuntata score: 'A HUGE ENEMY -- "The Moon" -- BREAK INTO THE BATTLE').
Taito says the game will be available "in the very near future".

This game is looking quite awesome. Visually it's like rez, but in 2D... I want it now!

Barrett2

177 points is my top score so far in Battle of Pirate Bay. Game gets really hectic around that 6th level. Those damn clouds conceal the enemy!!!

Sooo, I just got an iPhone 3GS and I'm trying to sync my apps/games (which I bought on my old iPod Touch), but except for Wikipanion and BeejiveIM nothing makes it over to my iPhone while iTunes says all the checked apps/games should be on there... Can anyone help me? I thought this would go a hell of a lot smoother...

Grecco

HBP said:
Everyone should get Sluggers 3D at the sale price, it's a lot of fun!

Yes. This game is suprisingly Really good. I keep getting destroyed online but the overal package is impresive

knitoe

FoxhoundNL said:
Sooo, I just got an iPhone 3GS and I'm trying to sync my apps/games (which I bought on my old iPod Touch), but except for Wikipanion and BeejiveIM nothing makes it over to my iPhone while iTunes says all the checked apps/games should be on there... Can anyone help me? I thought this would go a hell of a lot smoother...
In iTunes, go into Iphone's App tab, are application check to sync?

FoxhoundNL said:

That is strange, I actively sync both my 3GS and 3G with no problems. Have you tried the usual fixes (reboot, restore, etc.) Are you possibly at 5 authorized computer/device limit for iTunes? Although, I am not sure if that has anything to do with your problem.

HBP

Grecco said:
Yes. This game is suprisingly Really good. I keep getting destroyed online but the overal package is impresive

I haven't had much luck either, but I won my last game online.

All i basically play is Backyard Baseball, and ToMaCow. iCopter is exclusively used to play while waiting for food at a restaurant, haha. I have tons more that are just sitting on my iPhone waiting to be played.

HBP

Anyone faced a side armed pitcher yet in Baseball Sluggers? Man i wiffed about 8 times and got 1 HR the first time ha.

Monogamies

Neo Member
Sh0k said:
Anyone with an iPod Touch updated to 3.0 ? I'm on 2.2.1 and want it to buy Zombies & Me, but it requires 3.0 in order to play it. I have read so many problems with 3.0 and the iPod Touch, like loosing WiFi, etc.

Are you guys experiencing any problems ?

Everything works A1 with my iPod Touch, but I might have some magic gifted device. The upgrade is going to be worth 10 bucks down the road, but right now... still wasted potential.

I love Z & M, by the way.

Fusebox

Banned
HBP said:
Coast Guard now free!

Grabbed it, tried it, deleted it. No wonder it's free... :p

Not exactly a game but Technobox is half-price for a little while (down from $10 to $5)

technobox_screenshot_2.png

Easily my favourite noise maker on the iPhone.

Flunkie

Banned
Khanage said:
This!

The game is really addictive, and at 59p is too good to miss.
I got it when it was full price and still would have paid more.

Addictive single player, AMAZING online head-to-head that works flawlessly, and now, a price you can't beat. Do it. Do it so hard.

Barrett2

Screw it, im' buying like 4 more 99 cent games tonight. Gotta find a way to hide these from my wife, just looking at my iPhone you'd think I am spending hundreds of dollars on these damn games. :lol

Khanage

Flunkie said:
I got it when it was full price and still would have paid more.

Yeah... I regret not buying it when it first came out. I could've spent the time since honing my skills, instead I'm getting owned by everyone online!:lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
geodefense, hard mode level 1 The Eye - holy shit I can't do it! I've tried so many times. help!!

Jonnyram

Not strictly gaming, but certainly of interest to a few gamers, and developers.
32x32 is out. It's a simple sprite creation app. Features 5 shades of grey and has a VERY nice control system. It's a 99c app, so take it or leave it. Just search for 32x32 - should be the first result.

Zombieville USA just got a pretty great lil update...

Among other things, they've added melee weapons which flesh the game out quite a bit. However, it may be a little too easy now...

Foob

really itching for some news on the possibility of monkey island being released (I know about the Scum app for jailbroken phones).

murderous apple

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend a good RPG? Been scrolling through the top 25 lately but it's hard finding a good one. Not looking for anything by Gameloft either. :D

fastjack

Neo Member
Fusebox said:
7 Cities is 99c atm.

And Social_D that looks great, I'ma check it out. Unfortunately your promo codes gave me a country error (I'm in Aus) but it was only a $1.19 so I grabbed it. Impressions later.

I'd be curious to hear what your impressions were on Battle Shock Fusebox.

Fastjack

ShowDog

murderous apple said:
Can anyone recommend a good RPG? Been scrolling through the top 25 lately but it's hard finding a good one. Not looking for anything by Gameloft either. :D

Zenonia is your best bet. And I wouldn't avoid Gameloft, they're probably the best publisher on the platform.

murderous apple

Neo Member
Thanks. I was just put off by some of Gameloft's adventure games because they seemed to be the same game, with a different look. Although, Rise of Lost Empires doesn't look too bad.

Khanage

'Poppi' - A Melodic Matching Game

http://toucharcade.com/2009/07/16/poppi-a-melodic-matching-game/

Youtube link

Itunes store link - 59p

301819-200x300.jpg

Pompom Games' Poppi [App Store] is a game that couldn't really exist on any other platform but the iPhone without losing quite a bit of the experience.

The goal of Poppi is touching the screen to juggle the various shapes that fall from the top, bouncing them off other shapes and off the sides of the screen before finally colliding with matching shapes and popping off the screen with a fun star explosion particle effect. As the objects bounce they make different sounds, and eventually strange melodies emerge out of the juggling chaos of Poppi.

The simple gameplay is set on a colorful and slowly changing background, and the entire package creates a very soothing experience similar to games like Zen Bound [App Store] on the iPhone and Electroplankton on the Nintendo DS.

The white rings in the video show where the finger taps would be occuring, and also shown in the video are red spiked objects and bombs which are to be avoided. Poppi is a fun game, and because the sound is such a vital part of the feel of the game, we recommend playing with headphones.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Zombieville USA got an update to 1.4: introduction of melee weapons (low damage but knockback + criticals), girly men can play with extra lives, new controls (movement keys on one side, action on the other) classic controls still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom