• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
i've been on the hunt for information and i've found some who've never heard of this or known about it.

Wiki said:
Biohazard 4 Mobile edition was released in Japan for au's BREW 4.0 on February 1, 2008. It was first announced by Capcom at TGS 2007.[79] Differences from the original include changing the flow of the story from being continuous to being divided into sections such as "Village", "Ravene", "Fortress" and "Subterranian Tunnel". There is also a more challenging Mercenary Mode
bio04.jpg

bio03.jpg

bio05.jpg

(screenshots of the other mobile version)

trailer from 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsw6Bubp29Q

i can't find any reviews of it shamefully : (

jts

...hate me...
Looks horrendous and I seriously don't care about a 2004 3D game with worse graphics and controls.

Come on Capcom, put on the iPhone some original effort :D

Sh0k

Anyone with an iPod Touch updated to 3.0 ? I'm on 2.2.1 and want it to buy Zombies & Me, but it requires 3.0 in order to play it. I have read so many problems with 3.0 and the iPod Touch, like loosing WiFi, etc.

Are you guys experiencing any problems ?

robot

Sh0k said:
Anyone with an iPod Touch updated to 3.0 ? I'm on 2.2.1 and want it to buy Zombies & Me, but it requires 3.0 in order to play it. I have read so many problems with 3.0 and the iPod Touch, like loosing WiFi, etc.

I updated it when I first bought my touch 2 weeks ago and havent had any issues. Sucks that you have to pay for the update though ($10).

Twig

Banned
jts said:
Looks horrendous and I seriously don't care about a 2004 3D game with worse graphics and controls.

Come on Capcom, put on the iPhone some original effort :D
I agree with you! Capcom makes good games when they put real effort into it, and this is not effort. This is just an ugly version of a game I've already played.

But then it's pretty much impossible to convince me that iPhone 3D will ever look good at its current hardware level.

Chinner

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
But then it's pretty much impossible to convince me that iPhone 3D will ever look good at its current hardware level.
if somebody came in with a decent budget and developed exclusively for the 3gs then you may get something nice

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TheOneGuy said:
Doom Ressurection on 3GS is pretty nice. It's like mid-level Dreamcasti-ish quality graphics, running at pretty much solid 60FPS. If only the animation was better, the game would look quite impressive actually. Also, Real Racing looks pretty impressive in motion.

Twig

Banned
Lord Error said:
Doom Ressurection on 3GS is pretty nice. It's like mid-level Dreamcasti-ish quality graphics, running at pretty much solid 60FPS. If only the animation was better, the game would look quite impressive actually. Also, Real Racing looks pretty impressive in motion.
I stand by what I said! But I didn't say it in an attempt to start an argument. More of a "fuck you Capcom make something new ;_;"

Mik2121

Guys! Halp!!

I've downloaded a couple apps and when I sync my iTunes to my iPod Touch they won't show up on the iPod!. It's been happening since... just now. I have around 45 apps and all they worked fine, but now new apps won't show! :S

Since then, I've also tried to download a few other apps to try it and the iTunes has frozen all times (3 already). What could be happening? Should I reinstall iTunes? Or is it a problem with the iPod? :S

RE4 mobile on iPhone is good if you ask me, it also looks and seems better then that regeneration spin off which was made in what looks like 2 weeks.

I will have to buy caster, I remember toucharcade showing off a dev video of it before it was released, comparing it to the original pc version the guy made a few years ago. Quite a cool game going by just the video's.

Mik2121 said:
Guys! Halp!!

I've downloaded a couple apps and when I sync my iTunes to my iPod Touch they won't show up on the iPod!. It's been happening since... just now. I have around 45 apps and all they worked fine, but now new apps won't show! :S

Since then, I've also tried to download a few other apps to try it and the iTunes has frozen all times (3 already). What could be happening? Should I reinstall iTunes? Or is it a problem with the iPod? :S
Do you have a backup from any time ago you can use? worse case is to return the device back to factory stock and lose your saves. Not had an app problem yet myself so I can't really help you.

Khanage

jonnybryce said:
Damn this looks pretty awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I just finished watching the video. The graphics are pretty nice and I like how large the levels are. It's also level based which is hot. I am buying this now!

Don't do it! The game isn't worth your moneys!

Guys, Caster is awesome.

I played the tutorial and first level. It was a huge level sprinkled with enemies and orbs to collect. You're really mobile and have cool abilities like a speed dash and super jump. The controls are the ideal "touch anywhere" on the right or left, and the graphics are really nice! The worlds are simple but it still feels crazy playing this on iPhone.

If you want a large, 3D action game, this is one to check out. While Terminator may have looked better overall, it was also much more linear. All this freedom to run around and use your radar is pretty different and fun. It's well put together, and they plan to add more episodes for free.

If you're even just moderately attracted by the gameplay video I strongly suggest you buy Caster. I expected it to be 4.99 but it's only 99 cents right now! I will now go back to playing this kickass game.

Khanage

jonnybryce said:
Guys, Caster is awesome.

Really? At first I found it quite interesting, but that was more to do with the 'I'm playing this on my phone' factor. After playing it for a bit I was left feeling completely disengaged from its world. The controls were fine when you are running about, but introduce a couple of enemies and it starts to unravel a bit.

Khanage

Ok... I'll give you that... 99 cents is a fair price for it.

But... Awesome? I don't see it. I know you didn't give it that adjective, but others have.

Anyway, I'm off to play some Real Racing. Now that game is awesome!:D

Chinner

Banned
Xizk said:
The artist on it is a goon too. Bought it even though I haven't got an iphone yet to support him.
that's the reason i bought actually. i like supporting other goons and 60p is hardly nothing. the game is pretty good as well.

Khanage said:
Really? At first I found it quite interesting, but that was more to do with the 'I'm playing this on my phone' factor. After playing it for a bit I was left feeling completely disengaged from its world. The controls were fine when you are running about, but introduce a couple of enemies and it starts to unravel a bit.

I really enjoy it. I don't feel engaged from the world at all, I feel immersed and impressed at how much running around there is. It just comes down to fun, and I'm having a lot of fun with this game. The enemies are getting more challenging, so that's also keeping it fresh. I just really enjoy everything about it, from controls to gameplay, but then again I enjoy games like this, such as PN03, where essentially you did the same thing and run around and shoot things. Maybe some people are looking for more depth, but for me, this is a great time.

I would have gladly paid the full price had I known this game existed.

Sh0k said:

I had no idea the loosing WiFi problem was related to 3.0 but that did happen to me. Just totally random one day my iPod Touch 2nd Gen wouldn't connect to a router unless it was 10 feet away. Apple gave me a speedy replacement though.

Other than that it's been ok. It now takes longer to shutdown and boot back up on 3.0 but I haven't had any Apps totally freeze up on me. It seems like on 3.0 they will crash but it will just knock you back to the home screen.

HBP said:
Anyone have any tips for Draw Race? I am awful at this game.

Aside from "draw fast when you can go straight, draw slow around corners"?

Not really. I do wonder what distance is the best to draw on turns.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Fuck yeah, best in Brighton at Glowball!

562nd all over.

Oh this is awesome now it works again, it tells you who the closest higher score is as well!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I think I'm addicted to Drawrace! I spent a large part of Saturday just trying to beat times of the guy above me in the national rankings.

THIS GAME NEEDS MORE LOVE!!

After having loads of fun with time management and tower defense on the iphone, I think drawrace may be emerging as my favourite iphone game, I only say this because I had so much fun trying to tease that extra split second from my time so I spent a lot of time just exploring and appreciating the little nuances.

I love that you can effectively race the person above you in the charts so you can study their racing line and tactics. After my stint on Saturday I was in the top 10% of UK players on every track I played. I found myself not wanting to quit a track until I was in the top 10% :lol

Really REALLY awesome game and for 99c/59p, bargain of the generation imo, especially with 2 and 3 player on it. Should be on every iphone owners must-own list.

thanks to neogaf for pointing it out to me. I returned the favour by selling it to some of my co-workers.

Already good game got a good update.

In our initial review of Reflexion, our major issues were a lack of content and the omission of online scoring. Well, version 2.0 addresses both of these in top-notch style.
The most interesting part of this update is a level editor that allows players to create their own content and share it with the world. The editor, located on Facebook, gives you full reign of every aspect included in the game, including the ball's starting point, where power-ups are, colors, and all that good stuff. You can also playtest your levels directly in the game before publishing them for the world to see. Published packs can be downloaded and rated through an in-game browser. The Slide To Play pack can be found here.

This brings us to the other major feature in the update: online scoring. All of the existing level packs, as well as any downloaded online, sport their own leaderboard. Now you can challenge your friends to beat you at your own game!

With these substantial additions to an already unique game, your purchase of Reflexion is a no-brainer. We've awarded it our highest score.

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/reflexion-review

Stoney Mason said:
Cool breakout variant that perfectly utilizes the nature of the iphone. Holdout if you have a touch as supposedly it has a bug on that version at the moment.

Reflexion
Itunes Link
Lite Version
Video

picture_69458.png

picture_70954.png

http://toucharcade.com/2009/04/22/reflexion-a-fresh-take-on-brick-breaker/

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
kaizoku said:
I think I'm addicted to Drawrace! I spent a large part of Saturday just trying to beat times of the guy above me in the national rankings.

THIS GAME NEEDS MORE LOVE!!

After having loads of fun with time management and tower defense on the iphone, I think drawrace may be emerging as my favourite iphone game, I only say this because I had so much fun trying to tease that extra split second from my time so I spent a lot of time just exploring and appreciating the little nuances.

I love that you can effectively race the person above you in the charts so you can study their racing line and tactics. After my stint on Saturday I was in the top 10% of UK players on every track I played. I found myself not wanting to quit a track until I was in the top 10% :lol

Really REALLY awesome game and for 99c/59p, bargain of the generation imo, especially with 2 and 3 player on it. Should be on every iphone owners must-own list.

thanks to neogaf for pointing it out to me. I returned the favour by selling it to some of my co-workers.

I'm in the current top 10 globally for a few tracks. Wish you could see the whole list and where other people are placed.

The game seems to eat battery fast.

Union Carbine said:
I went to check out Reflexion but the AppStore on my iPhone is showing $2.99 not $1.99. So is Pandora Box.

There is a lite verson but you are right. That post was from when it orignally came out and it was on sale. I'll edit it.

Vyer

Jonnyram said:
Anyone played bluetooth co-op in Flight Control yet? I noticed they added in the 1.4 update, but haven't had chance to try it.

Yes. Tried it with a friend and it worked well for us. Out of, I'd say, 10 games, we only had 1 or 2 communication errors. It gets pretty frantic. They divide the two 'sides' with each having control of a certain type of plane/vehicle.

In other words, I would control the pink jets landing strip. My friend controls the blue helipad and yellow plane strip.

Of course, we'd both get all planes. So not only do we have to land our own and not crash, you have to send the planes you can't land to the edge of the screen...where they appear on your friend's phone for him to land.

Lots of cussing for those few times when we'd get so overwhelmed and just say 'fuck it' and send some planes bunched too close together to each other. :lol

Or the rare occasion when we'd send a plane to the exact same spot and they'd crash almost offscreen.

cvxfreak said:
THOSE PUNKS

Well I'm sure it'll be back up soon enough. Maybe when Capcom JP actually wants to issue a press release.

:lol

Has anyone beaten ShapeShape? I'm on level 20ish in the hard difficulty but it's taking a while to beat this stage. A lot of the levels, at least for me, seem to be "try enough times and you'll get lucky!" rather than "have fun and control correctly!" I just want to beat it so that I can feel accomplished and move on at this point, but a lot of levels, especially with the force emitting white circles, just don't play in a fun way anymore. I am playing hard difficulty, but still, there should be more fun levels in ratio to frustrating levels.

Looks like Worms is disappointing in its current incarnation without some updates. Stick to Star Hogs.

Worms iPhone Review
Wiggly warfare.
by Levii Buchanan
July 13, 2009 - The classic strategy game Worms has finally wriggled on to the iPhone, a platform that seems like a perfect fit for its brand of comic mayhem. Exploding sheep, holy hand grenades, and homing missiles fly furiously as the worm armies square off on randomly generated stage littered with both hazards and opportunities. These fun moments, plus the thrill of delivering a manic combo strike that decimates an opponent, are the reasons why the franchise is still endearing to its fan base.

However, due to some wonky controls, Worms on the iPhone is likely to infuriate the loyal. This is always the catch with games that have some dedicated followings. You fell in love with it on another screen so you know when a new version of it just feels... off. And in the case of Worms on the iPhone, the inability to execute precision flights with the jet pack or accurately throw a rope and pull off those awesome worm acrobatics will have you gnashing your teeth. Don't get me started on the jump controls either. I cannot count the number of times I double-tapped a worm to do a back-flip, only to helpless watch it jump either into the water or straight into range of a mine.

Practice makes perfect, right? I have been hammering on this game since it came out this weekend, though. And while my roping skills did improve, there is just no way to move the worms with the same laser-like precision of the PC game. Yes, yes -- the iPhone is not a PC -- but that is half the fun of the game, though. Bounding halfway across the screen on a rope and delivering a dynamite stick to a helpless rival is one of those awesome gaming moments. You will not find it here.

That said, I could see a newcomer not getting too worked up about the control issues because they simply wouldn't know any better. The wonky flight path of the jet pack would be far less important to the laugh of launching a sheep attack for the first time or hearing the "hallelujah" of the holy hand grenade. It's not like you cannot use all of the other weapons and gear to great effect, such as air strikes and the shotgun. And with these tools, you can still have a modest match of turn-based madness.

However, there are two more complaints with Worms that grind down its score: online multiplayer (or the lack thereof) and enemy AI. You cannot play Worms online with other gamers. You can only play it local -- and by local, I mean pass the phone around the room. It certainly works, although it robs the pleasure of having your opponent watch you unload a bazooka at just the right angle to blast their healthiest worm right into a watery grave. Unless they were standing over your shoulder, of course -- but then they would know which weapons you had left in stock. The iPhone is a very capable online multiplayer device and there is no reason for Worms to ship without it. Sure, it may come in an update -- but it should have been in here from the get-go. Online multiplayer is a hallmark feature of the series.

When playing against the computer in Worms, get ready for some spectacularly uneven intelligence. There are three difficulty levels and if you pick easy, the game is a total cakewalk -- no challenge whatsoever. If you pick normal, the computer veers wildly between stupefying mistakes like dropping a grenade right on itself and pulling off a perfect shot, firing the bazooka into the wind at just the right power so it drops straight down on your worm. Oh, and of course that worm is bounced into a mine. And the explosion from that mine launches them into the water. Or into another mine. You get those kind of amazing chain reactions maybe once every ten game. The computer is able to deliver those without breaking a sweat, over and over, in hard.

At least the game looks solid and the soundtrack is exactly what you remember. The background music is still purposefully at odds with the destruction, although you can opt for your own music. The worms utter goofy worm-speak in funny accents. And I do like that Team17 included 50 challenge levels to give the game something of a single-player campaign that does work, to some degree, as a tutorial.

Worms was reviewed with version 1.0.

Closing Comments
Worms is such an awesome game -- it's a shame this version of it is not. The walking and aiming controls work well, but jumping is haphazard and effective roping is about as likely as your iPhone spitting out the winning lottery ticket. As I mentioned, I could see a newcomer not being too bent about these things because they don't know about how cool Worms gets when you master the ropes, jumps, and jet pack. But for those of you that were looking forward to having Worms to-go on your iPhone, I must strongly warn you: this port is very, very frustrating.

IGN Ratings for Worms (iPhone)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
7.0 Presentation
The game looks fine and the menus are easy to navigate.
7.0 Graphics
All of the worms, backdrops, and weapons look alright, but the game is unfortunately chuggy in places.
8.0 Sound
Great worm voices and sound effects. Background music is good and you can use your own music, too.
5.0 Gameplay
The controls need serious work -- especially the precision stuff. It just sucks the fun out of the game.
5.0 Lasting Appeal
50 challenge stages sounds good, but the lack of online play is a bizarre exclusion for a series that regularly flaunts it.
Mediocre OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Grecco

Actually looking sorta forward to the RE game

Anyways. I noticed today at a Doctors office that my iphone is running hot. I mean noticably hot. Like an hour of safari/tweetdeck/map use gets it REALLY hot.

Is this normal? Should i contact apple to get an exchange?

helava

We're having a contest!

Write a haiku about why Taxiball's awesome, and you can win a promo code for the game AND get your haiku featured (with appropriate credit, of course!) in our App Store text!

"But how can I write about Taxiball if I'm trying to compete for a free code? I OBVIOUSLY don't have the game! Duh!"

That's why we have (and have always had!) a free version of the game! Grab Taxiball Free and write up your thoughts! The haiku we think does the best job of grabbing someone's attention (or maybe just the one we like the best) wins!

If you've already got the game, and have an awesome haiku in mind, please feel free to participate as well! You can give the code to a friend, or write it down on a piece of paper and eat it, use it as a secret code for your Swiss bank accounts... whatever you like!

Just leave a the haiku as a comment on the post linked above by the end of the week, and you'll be eligible to participate!

Good luck!
This post had a lot of exclamation points!
seppo!
Apologies for the many Taxiball-related posts (yes, this was edited from "spam"), but hey, potential free stuff! And fame! Glory! (or a vague approximation thereof!)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Stoney Mason said:
Looks like Worms is disappointing in its current incarnation without some updates. Stick to Star Hogs.

Seems like a very fair review by Levi. Didn't know he's still with IGN. I'll pass on Worms until it gets online multiplayer and there's an inevitable sale for 99 cents.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I stayed up til 3am playing geodefense levels on medium last night, what an awesome game. Can see why it's so highly rated now, everyone must own this at 99c/59p

EVERYONE

With the return of Resident Evil: Degeneration back on the app store Capcom have also given up a lite version containing the very first area to play, only about 10 minutes long and even shorter if you know what to do and skip the talking, but here is my post about it from TA:

I keep thinking about this game, then it was pulled, now it's back and a relase of a lite will at least let me try before I decide to buy. Main reason for not buying was that the game looked a little rushed but I love the RE series so i'm going to have to play it at some point :p

RE4 port also makes me want to skip this and buy the better looking one, eh.

*edit* Just gave the lite a good playing over, rather short but you get a good taste of how it runs on your device and how the controls work. I personally find that the controls work well for a touch screen device, you have to remember this is a resident evil game and not a twin stick shooter so you approach movement much differently.

The app runs smoother then expected (only seen youtube video) and while the game still seems very low in polygons there is some nice details around the first areas which look better in person then from a compressed off screen video.

This lite version is making me want to buy the full game, and also makes me want the RE4 port much sooner.

Another poor Worms review

We will be up front about it: Worms is one of our favorite series. Since its debut on the Amiga in 1994, we (and many other gamers) have been immersed in the game’s whimsical environments and characteristics. When Team17 announced that the game was going to be ported over to the iPhone, our excitement was inevitable. However, we were faced with a monumental letdown.
Aesthetically, the game is just as beautiful as we expected. The colorful and oddly-shaped environments ranging from conquered craters to icy expanses and a ghastly hell really make Worms stand out. Plus, every match is different due to randomly generated levels.

Worms is a game that thrives on personality, and this iteration has plenty of it. The worms make cute and occasionally hilarious remarks when acted upon, making even the crudest of weapons seem charming. There is also a large arsenal of unique and zany weapons (26 in total) including a worm-crushing donkey statue, exploding bananas, and a sheep. Oh, and the Holy Hand Grenade with its “hallelujah” voice effect is still in full swing.

Unfortunately, this layer of polish does not save the port from its deadly fate.

One of the best parts of Worms was the ability to swiftly jump, swing, and jetpack around while at the same time dropping bombs and bullets shamelessly on unsuspecting enemies. Due to a lot of lag and unresponsive touch controls, even jumping is next to impossible. While precision is tough given the small screen of the device, the game’s tendency to do the opposite of what you expect is a game-breaking flaw.

Shooting weapons controls slightly better, although it still suffers from the aforementioned slowdown. This generally involves placing a crosshair in the direction you want the worm to fire a weapon and then holding down a button to determine power. The power meter occasionally stuttered, resulting in us missing a shot. Also, the camera doesn’t always follow the weapon to the end of its trail, meaning you cannot savor each dying moment of your enemy.

Speaking of flaws with the camera, it is also extremely tedious to pan and zoom. The two finger swiping and pinching reacts slowly and, in turn, changes your perspective little. For example, even when zoomed into your worm as far as possible, everything is still very small. This means that initiating the perfect shot is more difficult than it should be.

Another major issue we encountered in this port is the unbalanced AI. Easy mode is like a win button, as enemy worms constantly make idiotic mistakes, while both Normal and Hard will have them landing almost every shot perfectly on your defenses. This means that you will end up facing off against an opponent that will one-shot kill you just about every time, which is no fun.

As far as single player goes, the game has a decent amount of content that, if you choose to pursue (and we would guess you wouldn’t), will last a while. With 50 “challenge” missions, quick play, and a sandbox for weapon testing, there is enough to justify a complete single player experience. However, we would like to see a level editor and fully customizable sessions in the future.

This said, the main draw of Worms is multiplayer. After all, crushing your friends with a cute, fluffy sheep is extremely satisfying. This iteration of the game is surprisingly missing this satisfaction. As it stands, the closest you get to this experience is pass-and-play, although then the appeal of watching your friends get destroyed is taken away. Even with tons of options for multiplayer on the system, including online, Bluetooth, and wifi, it was left out of the launch build. Team17 has stated that they plan to include it in some form in the future, but we find it hard to understand why it's missing in the first place.

Customization is shallow in this port of Worms. The only options you have are to name your worms and team. Other iterations of the game included options such as hats for your worms, which is something we feel could easily be implemented here as downloadable content.

Worms has potential, but its glaring omissions and game-breaking flaws make it feel like a quick cash-in as opposed to a worthy and well-crafted port. Until these issues are addressed, this game will both anger fans of the series and turn off newcomers immediately.

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/worms-review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom