• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected each big publisher will most likely have their own version of Plus +

iPhone publisher extraordinaire Chillingo is in attendance at the Develop Conference in Brighton today, and is gearing up to announce something a little different from its usual staple of portable games.

The UK-based publisher is due to launch a social networking gateway for iPhone users, which is being touted as 'the iPhone's answer to Xbox Live'.

Called Crystal, this new SDK will be available to all iPhone developers and publishers and will allow gamers to store achievements, create a profile, add friends and send out challenges in multiple games, along with direct connectivity to networks such as Facebook and Twitter.

"Crystal gives developers and gamers a bigger plus all round." says Chris Byatte, Director and co-founder of Chillingo. "It is set to become the de-facto social gaming standard for iPhone and iPod touch."

More details on Crystal should be with us later on direct from the Develop Conference, but interested parties can register over at the official website.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Crystal/news.asp?c=14347

While annoying, Plus+ is limited to NgMoco:) which means only a few games get it, Chillingo take on us bedroom coders if the game is good enough so many more games can access a live style profile, if they do it right that is.

iPhone is fanstastic
iPhone is super great
In fact it is much much better
Than watch Jon & Kate

edit - I did not even see Seppo's post and just broke into a random poem:lol :lol :lol

Diablohead said:
While annoying, Plus+ is limited to NgMoco:) which means only a few games get it, Chillingo take on us bedroom coders if the game is good enough so many more games can access a live style profile, if they do it right that is.

Plus+ is available to any dev who wants it.

That is why this is so annoying, Chillingo wants to create a unified Xbox Live when one beat them to it. They're being counterproductive, it is ironic.

My Taxiball entry:
Customer, fear not
Somehow you cannot roll off
Not magic; epic

I picked up Race for Home last night when I couldn't fall asleep. It's a very beautiful game, the graphics and soundtrack are on the great side, but the gameplay is pretty simple. The easiest way to describe it is part Doodle Jump, part Spiderman. You have an umbrella and glide around. To get momentum, you grapple onto things in the air. You're either chased, or you have to avoid mines, and you grapple in the direction of an arrow to retrieve a gift box three times. Then you complete the level.

It is fun, it's kinda different, but it's very short. Even at 99 cents, you can beat the game in no time at all and there's not much for replay value since all of the levels play so similar, you'll probably have satisifed your replay bug by the time you finish it. I guess it'll be a nice game to go back to here and there, but it's not deep enough. There should be more to vary the gameplay, more to make it longer, or more to make it addicting for replay value.

I recommend it if you understand that it's super short and sweet, because it's an interesting and enjoyable game. Clearly more effort went into the soundtrack and looks than gameplay. Even still, I don't regret it, just wish there was more.

dtXp5.jpg

OpenFeint tops 1m players; goes free for indie iPhone developers
The battle to be the Xbox Live for iPhone is on!

Product: OpenFeint

by Stuart Dredge

Aurora Feint has announced that more than one million active iPhone gamers are playing games that use its OpenFeint 2.0 leaderboards, social features and discovery lobbies.

Released to developers at Apple's recent WWDC conference, the platform is being used for more than 100 games including Pocket God, Sentinel 2 and StickWars. Aurora Feint says it's now registered more than 1,000 developers.

How to celebrate this milestone? By making the platform free. The company says it's scrapping its pennies-per-user charge for indie developers.

It's clearly a response to recent announcements from rival platforms like Scoreloop – as shown by the mention of "other models, which are based on revenue share or coins that need to be purchased" in the OpenFeint announcement.

"We are proud of this important milestone related to the increasing popularity of OpenFeint", says a statement from Aurora Feint co-founders Jason Citron (pictured) and Danielle Cassley.

"We urge all indie developers to OpenFeint enable their games because there are real benefits to social gaming and social discovery that they can get for no fees, revenue share or hidden costs".

Meanwhile, Pocket God developer Dave Castelnuovo is one of the people happy to endorse the platform: "Now that OpenFeint is free, there is no excuse not to use it," he says.

So if the platform is free, how does Aurora Feint make money from it? Citron confirmed to PocketGamer.biz that there's no tiered pricing system - "OpenFeint is completely free to use for developers no matter how many applications or players they have."

Instead, the company will now make money from affiliate sales of games discovered using OpenFeint.

Every time a player buys something, as a registered affiliate partner for Apple, Aurora Feint gets 5 per cent of the purchase price, with 25 per cent going to Apple and 70 per cent to the developer.

"It really is a clean model that comes at no cost to the developer," he says.

OpenFeint is doing well partly because the platform is tried and tested, but also because it's emphasising the app discovery features as well as social aspects – players of one OpenFeint-enabled game can browse and tap through to buy other titles.

The pace of innovation with this kind of social gaming platform for iPhone is rapid right now, thanks to the intense competition between OpenFeint, Scoreloop and other rivals – including those like ngmoco's Plus+ that have been developed by publishers.

The unknown unknown about this area, however, concerns Apple's long-term strategy. For now, it's content to let the different platforms fight it out - a policy that's spurring the speed at which they evolve and add new features.

But at some point, we can't help wondering whether Apple will pick out a winner, possibly acquire it, and turn it into the official Xbox Live-style connected platform for iPhone gaming.

That's pure speculation for now, though. In the meantime, developers get to choose between several platforms competing for their titles, and the impact for iPhone gamers is many more games with social features.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/OpenFeint/news.asp?c=14360

Chinner said:
so is rolando 2 worth £5.99? everyone agrees that its a good platformer, but how long does it last roughly?
I'm no fan of the first one, it's nice but going just by Rolando 1 trial I decided not to buy either of them right now. But that is my personal opinion :p

Chinner said:
acccording to rez (i think?) the second one is way way better than the first one

They are both good if you enjoy the style of game although 2 is better. I've stated my opinion before on this subject. No game is for everybody but the Rolando games are imo head and shoulders above nearly all the iphone fare as actual designed games.

If you want full game length time for 2 though you'd probably be better asking over at Toucharcade. I quite enjoy the game but I got sidetracked by battlefield 1943.

Khanage

Chinner said:
so is rolando 2 worth £5.99? everyone agrees that its a good platformer, but how long does it last roughly?

I completed it in a few days. But I had a flu, and besides gaming had no inclination to do anything else!:D So I would imagine it would take a week to complete it casually. To fully complete it with all medals will take you a lot longer. So I would say it is definitely worth it for £5.99.

I don't know if anyone here is interested, but I am going to ask Chris Byatte, Director and co-founder of Chillingo, a few questions tomorrow, and I was wondering does anyone here have anything they'd like to ask?

I already have a few questions in mind, such as game pricing problems, and how challenging it can be launch a successful game on the App Store.

If you have any Q's PM me, or just post them here if you like.

Keyser Soze said:
I don't know if anyone here is interested, but I am going to ask Chris Byatte, Director and co-founder of Chillingo, a few questions tomorrow, and I was wondering does anyone here have anything they'd like to ask?

I already have a few questions in mind, such as game pricing problems, and how challenging it can be launch a successful game on the App Store.

Can you ask them to elaborate on their new social netowkr. Basically, what made them decide, and why they feel the need, to introduce their own social gaming network "for all developers" when ngmoco and openfeint already did it first? Wouldn't it be most beneficial to work with plus+ or openfeint rather than throw another network out there and claim it's to unify games and players?

WhatTheyPlay have been so very nice to send me a code for Rolando, but unfortunately I live in Europe and the code is for US peeps only.

So anyone interested, send me a PM and I'll hand it out to someone tomorrow morning.

Barrett2

They updated the "New / What's Hot" tabs in the App store. Enviro-Bear 2010 is in "What's Hot." :lol

Im' thinking about picking up Mevo and Must.Eat.Birds, for some reason they are both more tempting now that they're in the "New" category. hmm...

lawblob said:
They updated the "New / What's Hot" tabs in the App store. Enviro-Bear 2010 is in "What's Hot." :lol

Im' thinking about picking up Mevo and Must.Eat.Birds, for some reason they are both more tempting now that they're in the "New" category. hmm...

Mevo is very awesome. If you like rhythm games, then you'll like it, the music is pretty nice and the platforming-twist makes it feel fresh even though it doesn't necessarily affect gameplay.

As for M.E.B., I loved it at first and now just think it's ok. It's definitely a fun game, and has a great style, but flinging nomsters got a little old after a while. This may have more to do with my lessening interest in those types of games, it's definitely a good pick up and play game. Just didn't hook me for more than a few days.

Almak

Don't know if this was already posted (in which case sorry for OFN) but I just came across this:

Palm Heroes

Its essentially HoMM3 for the iPhone. Its still in beta but already I think it looks very promising.

Remy

Some quick pimping:

towerland.jpg

I picked up TowerLand this morning, and it was the only game I touched today across both commutes.

It's a bit like the flash game Castlewars - you have three pools of resources, and you get five cards in your hand. The cards can raise your/attack the opponent's tower, raise your/attack the opponent's outer wall, give you additional resources, or grant you additional resource generators. You can discard any card for a resource boost. Also, the castles have an elemental polarity, and there's a RPS-style ordering that can lead to double damage or halved damaged, depending on what kind of attacks you're using. (It's not quite as complicated as I'm making it sound.) You win by either building your tower to a height of 200, or by destroying the other tower completely.

The graphics are surprisingly good, it's got a very clean look; the sound isn't bad either, although it doesn't currently let you play your own music, which is my sole gripe against it.

The game plays relatively quickly turn-to-turn but it generally takes me about fifty round (10 minutes) to finish a battle - you do get suspend/resume if you need to back out. There's a big map with a lot of different towers to challenge and then conquer with a second play-through; there's a currency system so you can buy upgrades (which potentially give you better cards or withstand more damage); there's also some achievements/quests that will give you more money.

For $3, I'm pretty happy.

Chinner said:

Rolando 2 is by far my favorite iPhone game. Going back and trying to get all the medals is a lot of fun (and time consuming).

Jonnyram

Keyser Soze said:

jonnybryce has already said it, but please do ask them why they have totally ignored ngmoco:)'s Plus+ system, instead of attempting to work together? Fragmenting the userbase will do no good for anyone, and it will just turn users off the whole experience. If both publishers are making their code available to anyone, then both publishers should work together to create a single platform. And if those two publishers are ngmoco:) and Chillingo, then I think it would be a VERY good start towards getting a single platform.

A free iPod Touch came with the MacBook Pro I got for college. Right now my wi-fi is being annoying, so I can't connect to the App Store, but once I do, I'll want to download some games. Preferably free ones.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Keyser Soze said:

Ask them if they can elaborate on their "Rolando Killer", what the game will be like.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Chillingo+news/news.asp?c=13062

More importantly, ask them if Secret Exit (makers of Zen Bound) are working on something completely new, or just new levels for Zen Bound.

Remy

Just to make the Chillingo/Crystal situation murkier, my Knights Onrush just got updated to 1.2.

Code:
- New weapon - Freezing Bolt.
- OpenFeint upgraded to 2.0
- Lowered difficulty for Easy
- Added cheat option for those who have troubles passing specific levels.
- Made more obvious when certain upgrades are disabled.
- Added hints
- Game made more "responsive" - it's now easier to flick bad guys.
- Fixed "disappearing" campaign ("yellow dots" issue).
- Performance optimization

So they're using OpenFeint for this, but writing Crystal for other games? Huh?

Remy said:
Just to make the Chillingo/Crystal situation murkier, my Knights Onrush just got updated to 1.2.

So they're using OpenFeint for this, but writing Crystal for other games? Huh?

:lol

WTF Chillingo. You are a mess.

Also, I never knew about this hyped "Rolando killer." The whole situation seems so odd to me, but hey, ngmoco should be flattered that Chillingo respects Rolando so much that they feel it's undoubtedly the iPhone's Halo/Zelda/Mario/etc.

Fusebox

Banned
Baseball Slugger 3D is 99c for 24 hours, not sure if this was posted already.

Also just wanna saying how much I'm diggin I Dig It, great game.

pilonv1

Mar_ said:
I had to buy this after I read the review. I think the reviewer really summed up how I felt when I saw the initial screenshots and game description:

I've never had a game from awesome to shit to awesome to shit as much as envirobear 2010

I dig it looks pretty cool, grabbed it for 99c.

Yeah, I really wish the devs would get onboard with a universal XBLA type system.

I think it would benefit everyone involved, from consumers, all the way to Apple themselves. I didn't pay much mind to the systems until I bought Star Defense. I played with the plus+ and challenges etc, and immediately purchased every other NGmoco :) app I could.

I understand there will be complications and head butting between the devs for a bit, but once a universal system hit. Game over, set my direct deposit to itunes cards. I don't care which system pulls ahead, please, please just unify.

edit: plus+: dhustead

Barrett2

Jungle Bloxx - Digital Chocolate - on sale @ $1

Fusebox said:
Baseball Slugger 3D is 99c for 24 hours, not sure if this was posted already.

woohoo! Another game I have been wanting to pick up. Nice. :D

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The_Reckoning said:
I understand there will be complications and head butting between the devs for a bit, but once a universal system hit. Game over, set my direct deposit to itunes cards. I don't care which system pulls ahead, please, please just unify.

The key issue for those creating the systems is that the company that ends up owning the dominant system is going to have massive power and a large valuation. That is a big motivator to not give up the fight so easily.

It is likely that a leader will emerge fairly quickly though, and then the choice for devs should become easy. My money is on Plus+ based on what I have seen.

Mechos War got an update if it hasn't been mentioned.

The Advance Wars of the iPhone, Mecho Wars, has just received a significant update to version 1.01 that aims to address some of the criticisms levelled at the turn-based strategy game.

Most prominent among the new features is a valuable information system to reveal statistics on your units. A 'tile' can be accessed to display info on a unit's movements, attack range, strengths and weaknesses in comparison to other classes.

But it's not all statistics and numbers. The update also delivers two new maps in the direct one-on-one challenge mode, along with a whole new single player campaign, played from the perspective of the Landians.

It's a free update, so don't waste time reading this news item if you've already bought Mecho Wars. And for all the social gamers out there, we're told that version 1.2 will deliver online multiplayer, so now's the ideal time to get some practice in.

I doubt this game caught many people's attention, but it's one that I play a lot on the iPhone: Diabolika, from Derek Yu (http://www.derekyu.com) and Jon Perry. Basically, it's a puzzle game where you set up monsters, cannons, and rockets to explode demons. I reccomend you at least download the original games (freeware) to see if you like them (there is a mirror on Derek's site, as well as a direct link to Diabolika II, PC only) or check out gameplay on YouTube. $2 but my purchase is justified knowing Derek may make more iPhone games...

Screenshot: (from http://www.diabolika-game.com/)
diab-screen01.jpg

Grecco

lawblob said:
Jungle Bloxx - Digital Chocolate - on sale @ $1

woohoo! Another game I have been wanting to pick up. Nice. :D

Wanted to post this. Picked it up today. Neat game. Dont like the tilt controls as much but fun

lawblob said:

Can heartedly recommend that!!! And they just added two new songs/levels! Great little game for the commute. I bought it on a John Davidson recommendation, have been pleasantly surprised and at .99c I'm pretty happy (more than I am with the constantly crashing Grunts!!!)

Picked up Baseball Slugger 3D, Jungle Bloxx, and now Coast Guard this morning. Damn these free/$.99 games!

I'm going to hold off on The Quest for now, maybe wait on a sale. I'd really like a turn-based RPG in the old school style (Bard's Tale, Dragon Wars, Wasteland, etc.) I think that style could really work if done well on the iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom