• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Akia

I'm officially sick of reading impressions or anything preview related on this game. Every site just keeps repeating the same things over and over. I don't want to hear about the AI Director anymore I know it works. Please find something else to write about.

Mrbob

I'm buying both versions. And yes, I am sick about reading about L4D as well, I just want to play it now.

cresto

I think I will, if I even do, buy this one off steam. I bought the orange box for the 360 and i was really disappointed. I didn't like the feel of playing HL2 on a console. I need the mouse and keyboard in my hands damn it

Any word on the length of the campaign?

Raide said:
360 version here too!

Great time to be a gamer...no so great if you're a Zombie. :lol

The Zombies won the fight in Dead Rising. I stopped playing the game after 4-5 hours because I thought it was broken.
I'm back for revenge in L4D.

Mrbob

ergo said:
I think I will, if I even do, buy this one off steam. I bought the orange box for the 360 and i was really disappointed. I didn't like the feel of playing HL2 on a console. I need the mouse and keyboard in my hands damn it

If you can find it at a retail store for cheap, buy it. You can enter the registration key in the box and unlock the game on steam for download on your account.

Akia said:
I'm officially sick of reading impressions or anything preview related on this game. Every site just keeps repeating the same things over and over. I don't want to hear about the AI Director anymore I know it works. Please find something else to write about.
All of these writers are taunting me with their hyper-special journalistic early access... yes, just me. It's good word of mouth for Valve, though. All seems to be positive.
saelz8 said:
6-10 Hours

Longer if you play VS.
I'm planning to go through first player and commentary first. I hope it will help me break into the game faster.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
ergo said:
I've been hearing about 4 hours for one entire play-through on Normal. On higher difficulties, including dying and restarting, it could be 6 hours.

fallout

Worrying about the length of the campaign is missing the entire point of all those annoying remarks about the AI Director that Akia mentioned.

saelz8

Akia said:
How about this.

The first custom mission is in planning stages, for those that didn't see it revealed.

dy6e5s.jpg

Final Flight is an all new Left 4 Dead movie that features an extensive new storyline with a rather unusual setting and a pretty generous portion of old-school sci-fi/horror trash. After numerous fights against the Infected horde, the Survivors are on their way to the Pluribus Space Center, a huge aerospace facility on the very top of a plateau, somewhere in the state of Colorado. Knowing about an intact space shuttle that was previously used to transfer visitors, employees and other passangers to the Pluribus Orbital Station - an experimental, fully self sustained installation with hundreds of jobholders directly above earth - the Survivors set out for their ultimate challange to get aboard. Unfortunately this isn’t the easiest task. The whole facility has been run down by Infected and so the Survivors need to fight their way through the spacious parking area and the Pluribus Space Center itself. Finally they need to reach the very top of the launch pad to get into the space shuttle.

Will the Survivors catch their final flight off this doomed rock? Does anyone of the Survivors know how to operate a space shuttle? And most importantly, why does no one at the Pluribus Orbital Station answer their distress calls?

Whether it's the first custom mission released, we'll have to wait and see. I doubt it. There's going to be some random person, or group of people, that releases a custom mission, as soon as the updated tools are released. Like always.

Map makers will love L4D, because they won't have to deal with balance, like in CS and TF2. They only have to deal with making a map beautiful, believable, and fun to go through. The Director handles everything else.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Akia said:
I bought both:

1z4vqpw.jpg
cuipv.jpg

I plan on reading them both over the next week to ease the wait until the 11th. I'll probably re-watch Shaun of the Dead again before L4D hits as well. I just read the Marvel Zombies tradeback last week. Needless to say ZOMBIE OVERLOAD!!!

Dopeness!! I also just ordered this on Amazon:

51VWCC8uujL._SS500_.jpg

Shittiest cover image ever but it's supposed to be great. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Watching Dead Set and reading World War Z is putting me in the mood for this. May be an unexpected addition to my 08 purchases!

dLMN8R

Chowfahn said:
I've been hearing about 4 hours for one entire play-through on Normal. On higher difficulties, including dying and restarting, it could be 6 hours.
One of the four campaigns took me a good 2-3 hours to play through. 4 hours seems way off.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
CoilShot said:
Anyone here going to be getting the 360 version?

Oh, hell yes. Day One. I was gonna pre-order today to get in on the demo but I'll pass and just wait to pre-order when I pick up Gears 2 on Friday.

poweld

ThaiGrocer said:
Getting PC version. It seems to have a longer lifespan when on PC. I still play Half-Life when I'm in the mood.

Agreed. Also I'd really rather not end up in the kind of situation TF2 is in on consoles.
PC pre-order in place, see you guys the 6th :D

Momar

aka Ryder
So I just pre-ordered this for 360. I really, really wanted to get it for PC, Valve has a better track record on Steam, but at the same time, it was a matter of better KB/M controls + better (expected) dev support vs. actually being able to play with people I knew on Live.

Knowing how the game works, I opted for being able to play with my friends. I already have my team of 4 ready :D

Unfortunately, I think I may end up having to get both the 360 version and the PC version, since I have pals on both sides that want me involved.

I am not interested at all in the 360 version after TF2 was so poorly handled. If any of my xbox live friends wants to play it with me they can step up and get the definitive version. I have plans with another gaffer to get a server going as well so ya, PC version FTW! :D

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I am not interested at all in the 360 version after TF2 was so poorly handled. If any of my xbox live friends wants to play it with me they can step up and get the definitive version. I have plans with another gaffer to get a server going as well so ya, PC version FTW! :D
Nice. Keep us up to date on the what where and when.

Gaf, add me if you want; SoVeryFew.

Let's hunt some Zombies come Thursday :D

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
VaLiancY said:
Preordered.

Time to finish World War Z.

If you can, read this as well, Romero's original script for Day Of The Dead:

LINK

Good stuff. I love Day---it may be my favorite actually despite it's bleakness.

JavaMava

I bought the Zombie Survival Guide on Halloween. I like it, but it feels like info I already know. I'm an expert:D . Is World War Z better? I think I'd like Zombie stories better.

I'm definitely getting the PC version. You don't need a beast of a machine to run this and you know that any updates will come quickly and freely from Valve on PC.

roonow

PC version (aka the definitive version) for me. Unless you have friends on the 360 that you want to play with, there is no reason to choose it over PC.

Anyways, this game really seems to be one of the rare ones that will deliver on its HYPE. We shall see soon enough!

SonnyBoy

saelz8 said:
How about this.

The first custom mission is in planning stages, for those that didn't see it revealed.

dy6e5s.jpg

Whether it's the first custom mission released, we'll have to wait and see. I doubt it. There's going to be some random person, or group of people, that releases a custom mission, as soon as the updated tools are released. Like always.

Map makers will love L4D, because they won't have to deal with balance, like in CS and TF2. They only have to deal with making a map beautiful, believable, and fun to go through. The Director handles everything else.

These won't be available for the 360 version will they? :(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
360 version for me,day 1.

saelz8

SonnyBoy said:
These won't be available for the 360 version will they? :(
It could happen, but not right away.

Valve could possibly compile them, and release them as DLC. I could see that working.

If they were to do it, it would be a compilation of community content, possibly official content with approved community maps, like CP_Steel in TF2.

CP_Steel was a popular community map that became part of an official update, which included other Valve created maps.

Of course, those updates were free and not paid DLC. Valve would have to negotiate with original authors, get approval, maybe even buy maps from their creators, to be able to release them, or include them in DLC packs.

saelz8

vertopci said:
Does the PC version by any chance have split-screen co-op?
No.

I don't think any PC game has ever had splitscreen.

360 version will have 2 player splitscreen, and you can both play online at the same time, like in Halo.

Top Bottom