• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Movie Draft tournament thread: The first round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

Gold Member
AlteredBeast said:
Everything but round 8 and 9 of Kusaragi have been seen by most movie buffs and are considered classics or at least awesome movies by most people.

Unfortunately, nobody has seen Hotarubis movies. :( I am adding what I can in netflix, though. For someone, especially Hota, to put 10 movies forward as 10 to vote for or against, they must be excellent caliber movies.

Yeah I understand that.. There are a few movies that I didn't add to my list because of that very reason, even though they are AWESOME movies.. Example

Conspiracy(HBO Film)
Motorcycle Diaries
Como agua para Chocolate
Easy Rider

EDIT: I am happy to see though that the Highest grossing movie of all time is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND ON THE LIST!!! WOOHOOOO

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Vestal said:
EDIT: I am happy to see though that the Highest grossing movie of all time is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND ON THE LIST!!! WOOHOOOO

Thank goodness or I would've asked to have my list removed...or go up against that person's list in the first round. :p

1. Vox-Pop
2. CajoleJuice
3. Cyan (with a Special Jury Prize to ShinAmano for his Salton Sea pick)
4. Solo
5. Tekumseh
6. shintoki
7. Cosmic Bus
8. Forkball
9. Schattenjagger
10. Bulla564
11. n0b
12. Son of Godzilla
13. N/A
14. Squirrel Killer
15. muttyeah416
16. Ford Prefect

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
more pimpage

brick.jpg

brick03160605.jpg

brick.jpg

brick_pic1.jpg

love_actually_ver1.jpg

2003_love_actually_004.jpg

Love_Actually.jpg

loveactually.jpg

zodiac2.jpg

zodiac_movie_image_jake_gyllenhaal_robert_downey_jr.jpg

zodiac-2.jpg

north_by_northwest.jpg

north-by-northwest-hitchcock-cary-grant-pic-2.jpg

North_by_Northwest_movie_trailer_screenshot_(6).jpg

lord_of_the_rings_the_fellowship_of_the_ring_poster_2.jpg

lord_of_the_rings_the_fellowship_of_the_ring_ver1_xlg.jpg

joker-hold-upsnapshot20080504110800.jpg

batman-754324.jpeg

the_dark_knight03.jpg

bijs7p.gif

Meliorism

Cosmic Bus said:
Heh, it's kind of why I only joined in because Vox needed one more entry. I could've gotten more votes with an entire line-up of Land Before Time movies. :lol

Yeah, and it's fine. There's no reason for you to cater to the others. I can't vote for users that have a majority of movies I haven't seen. Just doesn't make sense.

But ultimately, it points me out to stuff that I might not have checked out otherwise, and that was AU's goal and I'm assuming Vox's as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Schattenjagger said:
more pimpage

Good Christ, if I hadn't already voted, a post of such enormosity would've killed it for me. I think people are vaguely familiar with Batman and Lord of the Rings. :lol

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Cosmic Bus said:
Good Christ, if I hadn't already voted, a post of such enormosity would've killed it for me. I think people are vaguely familiar with Batman and Lord of the Rings. :lol
:lol trying to exploit the gaf TDK infatuation!

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Forkball's votes
1. Vox-Pop
2. Scullibundo
3. Cyan
4. Solo
5. tekumseh
6. ALeperMessiah
7. Kusagari
8. Forkball (lulz)
9. Schattenjagger
10. UltimaPooh
11. n0b
12. yacobod
13. Trellisaze
14. Wes
15. AlternativeUlster
16. cmonmanreally

jey_16

Banned
1. Vox-Pop
2. Scullibundo
3. Cyan
4. Solo
5. cashman
6. ALeperMessiah
7. Kusagari
8. Vestal
9. Schattenjagger
10. UltimaPooh
11. n0b
12. yacobod
13. AlteredBeast
14. Wes
15. muttyeah416
16. Ford Prefect

Kevtones

Fuck. I went to Hawaii on the 13th and missed the last 5-6 rounds. I had good picks going :( - The Big Lebowski, Chinatown, Diner, Muholland Drive... FUCK.

1. Vox-Pop
2. Scullibundo
3. Cyan
4. Solo (this was very difficult)
5. cashman (this was even more difficult!)
6. shintoki
7. Cosmis Bus (again tough)
8. Vestal
9. Daniel Plainview
10. Bulla564
11. n0b
12. yacobod
13. Trellisaze (maybe the best list)
14. Squirrel Killer
15. AU
16. Ford Prefect (close as can be but Speed Racer takes it for Ford)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Completely forgot about this, My power went out the other night when I was working on my pimp sheet:lol

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Down by Law
Jim Jarmusch
While it is my all time favorite film, I also think it is the greatest modern fairy tale ever told too. When I watch films, I always wonder if within these characters if the film is showing the most important story of their lives and you never once doubt that it is. A slowburner like all Jarmusch films, I feel that this is one of Jarmush's 2 perfect films, with this one being about restarting yourself even though you remain who you are and Dead Man being a film about finishing yourself to what you shall become.

The Holy Mountain
Alejandro Jodorowsky
This is art. A rambling inside a fever dream. The saying is true for many film goers that I have heard about Holy Mountain and that is there is life before Holy Mountain and life after Holy Mountain. I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. A problem I have with many surrealist films is that they tire by the end of them and Holy Mountain never runs out of steam and possibly the greatest film about the creation of all things whether or not you understand them or not.

Branded to Kill
Seijun Suzuki
Fucking cool and absurd. I mean fucking way too cool. Like I can never make something as fucking cool as this. Yeah, Down by Law is cool too but this feels like beat poetry in motion. William S. Burroughs has shit on Seijum Suzuki.

Pink Flamingos
John Waters
Lude and crude and whatever other things you can rhyme with that, Pink Flamingos is of all things, a trash film that knows it is trash. If I was ever going to name one film that I know who made me feel acceptance for who I am and more so, making myself proud of my faults and my differences among others, Pink Flamingos is that film. Oh yeah, the film was probably the funniest film I have ever seen.

The Man Who Fell to Earth
Nicolas Roeg
I have always said the best science fiction is best left unexplained and The Man Who Fell to Earth wears that like a badge of honor. It is indulged in mystery that it can't explain so why bother. The theme is even in the title of the film, "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and not "The Alien Who Fell to Earth" and is really just a man's journey into alienation. I wish that sounded less first year film school.

Yi Yi
Edward Yang
The greatest film about the life experience in my opinion. I mean all stages of life. Relationships we have with lovers, friends, family, everyone. This is an epic film that is fully realized and is so incredibly beautiful. I think if any film is going to hold your answer for the meaning of life, Yi Yi is it. I sadly have yet to see any of Edward Yang's other films though.

Grey Gardens
Ellen Hovde, Albert Maysles, David Maysles, Muffie Meyer
I have only seen this recently but it left me profoundly. Films like Grey Gardens are the reason why people make documentaries. When you sift through the reclusive lives of the eccentrics Little Edie and Edith, you sift through your own. These women allow themselves to decay with their same stories, it feels like a call of action to go out and do something. A remake for cable was made this year and I haven't seen it yet but I heard it was tasteful.

I am Cuba
Mikhail Kalatozov
When people talk about I am Cuba, it is mostly about its gorgeous cinematography and yes I agree with everyone that it is indeed gorgeous and probably the best shot black and white film I have ever seen. The film is greatly more than that though for I also think it is probably the best anthology film I have ever seen with each piece fitting for what many other films about a place usually fail at and that is making it feel like you are living there, you are a part of Cuba.

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Woody Allen
I am a massive Woody Allen fan and has been my favorite director since I was like 10. Crimes and Misdemeanors is the greatest film about guilt and how it can drag you down depending on how big of the disaster you put yourself to. Because it is built like that, the film follows two acts overlaping each other. Some people call Match Point a remake of Crimes and Misdemeanors but I believe Match Point lacks some of the gut of Crimes even though they do follow some of the same themes about circumstances. This is an unbearable heavy dense work but still a tragedy with well placed comedy from Woody Allen and my favorite of his.

The 400 Blows
François Truffaut
Really guys? The 10th round? Isn't this usually considered to be in like the top 3 films of all time? This is THE COMING OF AGE story. Sure I love great films of the genre like My Life is a Dog and Murmur of the Heart but I feel like the entire genre wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for this film. Hell, it might not even exist. This is essential for everyone. EVERYONE.

Ceres

Banned
1. Anobyl
2. Scullibundo
3. Cyan
4. Solo
5. tekumseh
6. shintoki
7. Kusagari
8. Vestal
9. DanielPlainview
10. Bulla564
11. DieNgamers
12. Son of Godzilla
13. AlteredBeast
14. Wes
15. muttyeah416
16. cmonmanreally

It's really sad that tekumseh has no chance of winning because of the board's demographic.

He has some great picks on there (To Kill a Mockingbird, Dr. Strangelove), but I've picked movies I've not only thought were great pieces of film, but ones that I would appreciate watching again. Putting Battleship and Intolerance on there was the killer for me, because whilst I respect the impact of both, I would never want to watch Intolerance ever again (where as I've had to endure Battleship many times and only ever enjoy the Odessa steps sequence).

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
The winners:
Bout 1: Anobyl
Bout 2: Scullibundo
Bout 3: Cyan
Bout 4: Solo
Bout 5: cashman
Bout 6: shintoki
Bout 7: Kusagari
Bout 8: Vestal
Bout 9: Schattenjagger
Bout 10: Bulla564
Bout 11: DieNgamers
Bout 12: yacobod
Bout 13: Trellisaze
Bout 14: Wes
Bout 15: muttyeah416
Bout 16: cmonmanreally

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Man, I need to stop writing things on NeoGAF wasted for I am rereading a lot of my posts and I am missing words left and right. Someday GAF. Someday.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I'll make the new thread soon. Here's the closest bouts:

Schattenjagger - 9
DanielPlainview - 8

Vestal - 11
Forkball - 10

n0b - 10
DieNgamer - 11

The power of a vote!

n0b

What? Its already over? I was assuming a week for voting like the music draft. Everybody who made a list hasn't even voted yet. Oh well.

Cosmic Bus said:
If n0b doesn't win the entire draft, though, everyone has failed so hard.

I guess we failed. :( Not gonna say I'm surprised though. Glad I was that close at least.

Yeah this is a really close comp - many picks are very hard. Pretty much everybody had a great list of picks. I think stretching it out to a week is too long. The half-week is good.

CajoleJuice said:
This is bogus, man!

I would've picked Sculli, too.

I really didn't want to be put against you because I love some of your picks. Especially since I've been on a Jaws binge lately.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I started a lengthy post about why I chose each list, only to have it be eaten by a 500 error. As such, here are my preferences, now listed without comment:

1. Anobyl
2. Scullibundo
3. Cyan
4. Solo
5. (me) :D
6. Shintoki
7. Cosmic Bus
8. Forkball
9. DanielPlainview
10. Bulla564
11. n0b
12. yacobod
13. Trellisaze
14. Squirrel Killer
15. muttyeah416
16. Ford Prefect

Vestal

Gold Member
tekumseh said:
I started a lengthy post about why I chose each list, only to have it be eaten by a 500 error. As such, here are my preferences, now listed without comment:

1. Anobyl
2. Scullibundo
3. Cyan
4. Solo
6. Shintoki
7. Cosmic Bus
8. Forkball
9. DanielPlainview
10. Bulla564
11. n0b
12. yacobod
13. Trellisaze
14. Squirrel Killer
15. muttyeah416
16. Ford Prefect

1hr earlier and you would have tied two races.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
tekumseh said:

1. Anobyl
2. Scullibundo
3. Cyan
4. Solo
6. Shintoki
7. Cosmic Bus
8. Forkball
9. DanielPlainview
10. Bulla564
11. n0b
12. yacobod