• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Speaking of techhouse - why are there so many god damn dj's who play generic techhouse? You know the kind with shakers, bingos, bongos, congas and all that shit. I'm so sick and tired of that sound, and it's at least popular as EDM here in Finland.

I haven't got anything against techhouse if it is done right (Luciano and such), but this type of generic stuff is surprisingly popular.
https://soundcloud.com/djtiberiuz/tiberiuz-winter-2013 (just an example)
I'm not really seeing that here in Australia. Must be a northern hemisphere thing or something (seriously).

Davidion

Speaking of techhouse - why are there so many god damn dj's who play generic techhouse? You know the kind with shakers, bingos, bongos, congas and all that shit. I'm so sick and tired of that sound, and it's at least popular as EDM here in Finland.

I haven't got anything against techhouse if it is done right (Luciano and such), but this type of generic stuff is surprisingly popular.
https://soundcloud.com/djtiberiuz/tiberiuz-winter-2013 (just an example)

Drugs.

And relatively ease of digestion.

And more drugs.

It got big around 2003-2005 here in the US and has always remained since.

As for minimal techno, it's wonderful when trying to be downtempo, sucks balls when it's trying to be a dancefloor bomb.

Nyx

Drugs.

And relatively ease of digestion.

And more drugs.

It got big around 2003-2005 here in the US and has always remained since.

As for minimal techno, it's wonderful when trying to be downtempo, sucks balls when it's trying to be a dancefloor bomb.

Drugs do make music a lot better, I have to confess I still roll every now and then, just to be ''absorbed'' by music, it's like the ultimate relaxation for me.

Anyway, regarding minimal (techno), you guys are all insane haha.
I understand people can find it repetitive but for me that's part of why it's so good, it's hypnotizing.

Time for some more alltime favs:

So Inagawa - No More Thills

Mathias Kaden - Rhythma

Dubnitzky & Jurgen Kirsch - Masala (Marek Hemman Remix)

Quenum - Vault Element

Brothers Vibe - Feelin House

Peace Division - Get Over It

Federico Molinari-Chucking Express (Rozzo Remix)

Probably said it over and over here already, but the boys from Peace Division will always be the best producers ever for me, such a shame they're not together anymore.

peacedivision.jpg

thabiz

peace division. another of the many that jumped ship and went with what was trendy at the time. used to be so funky. shame.

and if you havent heard peace process, do so. fantastic techhouse mix.

i had a nice chuckle when dubfire started spinning and producing minimal. gotta pay those bills i guess.

thabiz

it was tough being a techno, REAL techhouse fan in the mid 00's. minimal just swallowed everything up. it was one of the boring times in electronic music. i even stopped buying records and spinning. EVERYONE sounded the same.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Okno, absolutely minimal is its own market now but when it was becoming "the new thing" 5 years ago people were jamming out to stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT6mQPVCZ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31J6emKXxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gztYKNpbAlI

Which is basically a more restrained form of trance :)

I don't get it!

Meanwhile in the "techno" sphere you had all the berghain stuff starting to happen which has a way more minimalist aesthetic but for some reason was just called "techno"

The latest stuff on Minus and what not (Hawtins DJing) is unlistenable.

There was a time when they were calling music like you posted above "Neo Trance", actually. Extrawelt, The Field, early Kompakt. But it was a short-lived term.

I've always found mnml to have kind of a "drippy" aesthetic to it... softer and less "angular" production than neo-trance or tech house.. the Chilean producers especially used a lot of subtle ethnic flairs (that later would get a bit more dancefloor-friendly and evolve into the Cecille/8bit sound)

Lee Curtiss - Ketamine Christmas
Magda - Panna Cotta Eyes
Magda is my waifu
Kabale und Liebe & Daniel Sanchez - Mumbling Yeah (Loco Dice Mix)
Thomas Melchior and Luciano - Father
Anja Schneider and Sebo K - Rancho Relaxo (Pan Pot Black Ranch Mix)
Johnny D - Orbitalife

okno

Ugghhh, Magda. 'She's A Dancing Machine' is still one of my favorite mix CDs. The music as a whole hasn't stood the test of time, but the way she mixes the tracks together is just unreal. She uses a sample in there (just says "she's a dancing machine, watch her get down") that I would fucking kill to have, but alas. I still play "Sadm Svek Loop" and "Lockjaw" out on the regular. Her debut album kind of sucked, though.

And Run Stop Restore? The Geometry EP was so badass at the time.

Davidion

Drugs do make music a lot better, I have to confess I still roll every now and then, just to be ''absorbed'' by music, it's like the ultimate relaxation for me.

Anyway, regarding minimal (techno), you guys are all insane haha.
I understand people can find it repetitive but for me that's part of why it's so good, it's hypnotizing.

No, I mean it's particularly salient when talking about techhouse, in that it sounds like crap and that its enjoyment tends to rely on drugs moreso than other genres.

But that's just my anecdotal observation.

Re: minimal, again, I tend to like it a lot more when it sounds like downtempo rather than some dancefloor banger. For instance:

Dirk Leyers - Wellen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrx4CmSPey4

Pantha Du Prince - Saturn Strobe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U66l7zg0pLE

thabiz

No, I mean it's particularly salient when talking about techhouse, in that it sounds like crap and that its enjoyment tends to rely on drugs moreso than other genres.

But that's just my anecdotal observation.

the entire scene was built on drugs. it was literally the whole point of those early house clubs. even more so, in the UK.

on that note, im going to drop some acid and go to MOMA.

Davidion

the entire scene was built on drugs. it was literally the whole point of those early house clubs. even more so, in the UK.

on that note, im going to drop some acid and go to MOMA.

Oh of course, but techhouse is just miserable without chemical assistance. I had enough people trying to explain to me how bog standard techhouse sounds great because it has a "druggy" sound.

thabiz

Oh of course, but techhouse is just miserable without chemical assistance. I had enough people trying to explain to me how bog standard techhouse sounds great because it has a "druggy" sound.

"new" techhouse? cause i certainly wouldnt agree if its the proper shit.

the new stuff isnt techhouse. its minimal deep house. and boring house at that.

Shaneus

Ugh, seriously. Those guys in the EDM thread are FAR less pretentious and uppity than those of you in this thread.

Too subtle?

thabiz

Ugh, seriously. Those guys in the EDM thread are FAR less pretentious and uppity than those of you in this thread.

Too subtle?

im high as fuck and had a couple of nips while looking at beautiful art. sue me.

im sure im missing a lot of sutlety rigt now.

Shaneus

Oh sorry, didn't realise you were that far gone! I always despise people who fuck with you when they know you're off with the fairies.

Sincerely, I apologise dude. Have fun!

thabiz

Oh sorry, didn't realise you were that far gone! I always despise people who fuck with you when they know you're off with the fairies.

Sincerely, I apologise dude. Have fun!

lol. no worries man. im just fucked up and feeling fiesty. i might get lippy with my server if that vodka tonic refill doesnt show up soon.

miksushag

anyone got a rip of that new diplo and friends mix? thirsty for that r.h.

This?

Ryan Hemsworth
As the clocks spring forward an hour, Ryan Hemsworth drops an exclusive mix for Radio 1 and 1Xtra.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rkx70

Lenzman Empty Promise
Maduk & Nymfo Crossroads
Pedestrian Hoyle Road (Spectrasoul Remix)
Friction Someone vs Daylight
B Cee Our Time
Spearhead LTD
Live Wire Natural Selection
Smoking Riddims
DJ Rap Spiritual Aura (Bladerunner remix)
The Upbeats Alone (Fourward Remix) (feat. Tasha Baxter)
Marcus Intalex Hell To Pay
J Majik & Wickaman Lift Me Up
Usual Suspects Killa Bees (Inside Info Remix)
Loadstar Refuse To Love

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Thanks for your efforts anyway! Any idea why it won't be going up anytime soon (or why it was pulled down)?

Maybe he's a perfectionist or ocd? He's always been super flaky about committing to having new tunes available, posting stuff and then pulling it down, only to throw an unlabeled Mediafire link out there a few days later and then pulling that after a few hours.

Shaneus

Maybe he's a perfectionist or ocd? He's always been super flaky about committing to having new tunes available, posting stuff and then pulling it down, only to throw an unlabeled Mediafire link out there a few days later and then pulling that after a few hours.
Ah, fair enough. Good to know it's something that could still see the light of day :)

PS. Smagghe/Superpitcher surprisingly underwhelming. Smagghe was just boring as fuck, Superpitcher played some interesting stuff but didn't come close to heading toward the direction I've known him for (The Difference it Makes, Time etc.). Very wacky, sometimes impressive but just... kinda meh, I guess.

okno: Recorded?

okno

Ah, fair enough. Good to know it's something that could still see the light of day :)

PS. Smagghe/Superpitcher surprisingly underwhelming. Smagghe was just boring as fuck, Superpitcher played some interesting stuff but didn't come close to heading toward the direction I've known him for (The Difference it Makes, Time etc.). Very wacky, sometimes impressive but just... kinda meh, I guess.

okno: Recorded?

Smagghe has been boring for a few years now, sad to say. He used to have such a thing going for him just a few years back, but he fell into the same hole that Villalobos fell in. Drugs, man.

Unfortunately, I did not record it. 100% CDJ and I decided to sleep in today instead of going to Best Buy beforehand. The last two hours were ridiculous! Had the whole place up and dancing. I've DJed there on several occasions and it has never been so intense before. I finished right at 5, and then this kid who works there and I decided to go back to back for an hour and it was at that point that the roof blew off and the whole place just went nuts. Just an awesome, awesome day all around. I'll update soon with a tracklist. I'm wasted right now, can hardly keep my eyes open.

lush

Actual tracklist for that Ryan Hemsworth mix:

R. Kelly - Real Talk(Hemsworth's La Valse D'R. Kelly)
HYDRABADD - El8tion
Myrryrs - Fantom Doze (Club Mix)
Freddie Gibbs - Murda On My Mind
The Knife - Like A Pen
Mike Gip - Robin Thicke Theme
??? - The Man From Another Place
8prn - Runnin
Mike Din - Losing You (Ryan Hemsworth Remix)
Chief Keef - Citgo
Ryan Hemsworth - Frog (feat. Kitty)
Ryan Hemsworth - Faith In Something
Cherish - Chevy
Ciara - Body Party
Ghost Town DJs - My Boo
David Wise - Stickerbrush Symphony
Mya - My Love Is Like Whoa (JawJam Bootleg)
Air - Run
Main Attrakionz - Church
Shlohmo x Jeremih - Bo Peep (Do U Right)
Baths - Miasma Sky
Nada Surf - Always Love
Janet Jackson - Curtains
The Rangs - PS 3 (Supreme Cuts Remix)
C.Z. - Ocean Escapade
Destiny's Child - T-Shirt
Ryan Hemsworth - Loneliness Becomes An Acid
Munno - Outside (Mike Din Remix)
Different Sleep - Get Ahead
Henry Mancini - Lujon (TOBOGGAN Rum-ix)
Taste Taster - So Good Tonight
David Wise - Life In The Mines
Kendo - No Preservatives
Yumiko Kanki - F-Zero Opening Theme
Kaytranada - Killa Cats
Shadowrunners x Svengali - Demolition/Revlon
Taquwami - Aliens
Dem Franchise Boyz - Talkin' Out Da Side Of Ya Neck!
Dirty Projectors - About To Die (Ryan Hemsworth's Rejected Remix lol)
GRANT - DMT
Two Fresh - Oooops
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (Nicolas Jaar Remix)

I'm going to upload it here in a few minutes. edit: Here you go.

Bobby Tank - Gurl You Know
Duke Dumont - Need U (100%) (Blasé Boys Club Dub)
L-Vis 1990 - Ballads EP
Young Scooter - Colombia (Shlohmo Remix)

double edit: Mix is so good. I legit love that dude.

Ryan Hemsworth - Frog (feat. Kitty)
Dirty Projectors - About To Die (Ryan Hemsworth's Rejected Remix lol)

miksushag

lush

Breach - Jack EP (Dirtybird)
http://www.beatport.com/release/jack/1060417

sucks in my opinion, miles away from his 'You Won't Find Love Again' and 'The Click/Fallout' with Dark Sky.

That new Breach is the business.

Lorca - Searching
Classixx - Holding On (Jerome LOL Remix)

Also, XLR8R wins April Fools. Peep the Baauer podcast for this week on there, the dropometer really makes it.

This is something I can get behind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E40hxcdepcc

Top Bottom