• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

ChryZ

I've been meaning to get into Legowelt but he puts out so much stuff I don't even know where to start. Anyone know what I should listen to first?
His output is very varied, covers most genres of electronic music and is spread over so many different labels. Do climb that mountain, godspeed!

The already mentioned Dark Days is indeed amazing. I, for one, also love his earlier Bunker tracks, http://shop.hott.mx/album/bunker-30...ection-of-tracks-from-the-archive-bunker-2003

BeeDog

Goddamn, anyone liking glitchy trap, IDM, bass music and electronica ought to check out this album teaser:

Pixelord - Human.exe

I started drifting away big-time from this kind of music, but this teaser is friggin' amazing. Huge variation in the tracks, loving it. Definitely for fans of Deft, Clark, Lorn and similar artists.

Goddamn, anyone liking glitchy trap, IDM, bass music and electronica ought to check out this album teaser:

Pixelord - Human.exe

I started drifting away big-time from this kind of music, but this teaser is friggin' amazing. Huge variation in the tracks, loving it. Definitely for fans of Deft, Clark, Lorn and similar artists.

This guy is over in the Uk playing with the owner of Planet Mu in October actually.
Im doing a small label night for Dream Catalogue and the guy HKE (whos got a tune with zomby on zombys new LP) said about it.

speak of, the HKE guy is one half of 2814 and this Lp is great.
https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/rain-temple

a0901283591_16.jpg

Widge

https://boomkat.com/products/purple-blue-long-trax-ep-1

Will Long, Dj Sprinkles
Purple / Blue (Long Trax EP 1)

45 Minute doublepack featuring some of the most engrossing House music you'll likely hear this year or any other - First in a series of three releases pairing original material by Will Long with DJ Sprinkles’ overdubs.

Tokyo, Japan-based American artists, Will Long and DJ Sprinkles, present sublime, durational deep house studies examining the dancefloor in light of contemporary socio-political inequalities and failed illusions of ‘Revolution’ and ‘Progression’.

It begins a series of three vinyl sets and eventually a 2CD package that effectively compare deep house’s original, economical aesthetics and function as the soundtrack to marginalised society, with its current position; repackaging and overproducing the same old ideas with empty sloganeering, operating as the catalyst of social trends, rather than an agent of social transformation.

They both make their point subtly but clearly. Two sides feature extended 10+ minute tracks by Will Long, created using relatively minimal means of rhythm composer percussion, polyphonic synth chords, and rack sampler vocals, while the other two sides provide overdub Sprinkles versions.

The beautifully absorbing results - which sound miles away from Long’s gentler ambient and experimental work - prove that it is possible to elicit subtle yet optimal responses with a well-selected palette of grooves and samples, in this case from Jesse Jackson and Rap Brown, rather than current vogue for showmanship and more-as-more arrangements.

DJ Sprinkles' overdubbed contributions quite literally and psycho-acoustically resonate that intention, tactfully rending a farther, lush physicality and soulfulness thru deftly applied daubs of glutinous subbass pressure, airy strings and subtly shimmering FX, really offsetting Long's trax in a whole other dimension; and via disciplined, stripped-down, full-bodied production values that rank as perhaps the deepest yet in Sprinkles’ already perfectly formed canon.

They could be taken as a call for humbleness and meditative efficiency over cliched buildups and preening vanities, perhaps a comment on “deep" house as the equivalent of a fresh tattoo or sweatshop t-shirt slogan.

Because, you know, it really does stand for a lot more.

I had to get it.

gdt

Cream Soda's album is pretty amazing. A nice house album that covers different moods and sounds while keeping everything banging.

Widge

Bought my copy earlier this morning :3 Can't wait!

Big ups on the mention, Johnlenham!

I'll be interested to hear the full CD version. Feels like something that I would listen to each artist in isolation. Will's versions on a drizzle dimly lit afternoon as I do things around the house. Terre's as I walk to work on a brightly lit winter morning through frozen mist.

This arrived in the post on Friday:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/raw-series-03/618163-01/

I have no idea who or why but it sounds pretty spot on from those clips.

ChryZ

01. Project STS-31 - Spiralgalaxie
02. The Exaltics - NGC 253
03. Heinrich Mueller - Adaptive Optics
04. Robert Heise - Stars, Gases And Dust
05. Der Zyklus - Ionospheric Delay
06. Project STS-31 - 50,000 Light-Years Away
07. Rudolf Klorzeiger - Globular Cluster
08. Crotaphytus - Diving Through The Oceans Of GJ 1214 B
09. Project STS-31 - Density Waves
10. The Exaltics - Messier 81
11. Project STS-31 - The Supermassive Black Hole
12. Robert Heise - The Survey Of The Entire Sky
13. Der Zyklus - Ionospheric Delay (Extended Alternate Bonus Version)

https://solaronemusic.bandcamp.com/album/project-sts-31-spiralgalaxie

They shipped early and I got my CD today. Stunning release!

First mix.Ever.
Track list:
Girl Unit- Wut
Girl Unit- Showstoppa
Subfocus- Could This be Real (Joker Remix)
Stardust- Music Sounds Better
Daft Punk- One More Time
Sometimes I realize – Engineers (Sasha Invol2ver)
The Rice Twins - Can I Say
Yasmin & Jamie XX - Touch Me
Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go - Cinema (Skrillex Remix)
Chase & Status - Flashing Lights (Feat. Sub Focus & Takura)
Deadmau5 - Faxing Berlin

Feel free to destroy it, I had no idea what the hell I was doing for the most part haha I just wanted these songs (as they relate to friends) in some semblance of order!

Lol. Realised that I can pretty much chart more or less all of my interactions with dance music (after years of just being a "band" guy) via this thread.
This ones from 2011 but I think my earliest is from 2010 I think. I wish I still had it haha

2011: I made a mix using some weird software and had no concept of beat matching or BPM or key or anything lol
2016: Ive run a music night for 2 years+ played in one of londons best clubs, had a party at one of the biggest "bass" festivals in the UK, had a mix on Irish radio (aha)

Quite surreal looking back.

Still cant mix vinyl tho

Lol. Realised that I can pretty much chart more or less all of my interations with dance music via this thread.

2011: I made a mix using some weird software and had no concept of beat matching or BPM or key or anything lol
2016: Ive run a music night for 2 years+ played in one of londons best clubs, had a party at one of the biggest "bass" festivals in the UK, had a mix on Irish radio (aha)

Still cant mix vinyl tho
vinyl is hard as fuck to mix. still practicing that, not looking to be good at it for like years

also I can basically chart all of my mixes with tracks from this thread, hoping to actually take that to a legitimate venue someday

Nyx

Lol. Realised that I can pretty much chart more or less all of my interactions with dance music (after years of just being a "band" guy) via this thread.
This ones from 2011 but I think my earliest is from 2010 I think. I wish I still had it haha

Still cant mix vinyl tho

That's pretty great man! Didn't know you got this far already. :)

Don't want to be that guy that just does a driveby mix post, but here I am again.
Made a new minimal techno mix just now and wanted to share with you guys:

https://soundcloud.com/nyx_1978/george-hefner-quintessons-in-my-basement

Tracks from Ferro, Duky, Magda, Mike Wall and more.

made a new mix, check it out

https://soundcloud.com/honchopgh/honcho-podcast-residents-series-001-clark-price

Tracklist:
Red Axes - Me And Abra In Ruanda
Luca Lozano - F Dat
Cottam - Sunrise Sunset
Marlon D - Jesus Creates Sound (Main Mix)
Afrobeat Makers - Stasis (Calm Before the Storm)
Francis Bebey - Forest Nativity (Red Axes Edit)
Golden Teacher - Like a Hawk
Mateo Senolia - Baldwin (Yoruba Soul Mix)
Mr. Fingers - Qwazars
Snuff Crew - Joy of Jealousy
Credit 00 - Curse of the Medusa
Ozel AB - Needler
Nubian Mindz - Afrika Man
Voices From the Lake - Secondo Tempo
Discodromo & Massimiliano Pagliara - Samba Imperiale (Cos/Mes feat. Max Essa Remix)
DJ Sotofett - Philip Sherburne, your word should be worth more than the ignorance of Pitchfork (Alternate Mix)
Basic Soul Unit - Rhythm No.1 (Justin Long’s Acid Peel Version)
2 AM/FM - Passion Of A Night
Central - Tube Life
Young Marco - The Best I Could Do (With What I Had)
M. Pittman - Cherry Lee
Baronhawk Poiter - Who Are You (I Am Somebody)

okno

fabric closed :(

Absolutely gutted about the news. Such bullshit to say that the club has a culture of drugs within it that's uncontainable. Just a horrible, horrible excuse to close down the club after it already went out of its way to do what was asked of them and MORE.

Absolutely gutted about the news. Such bullshit to say that the club has a culture of drugs within it that's uncontainable. Just a horrible, horrible excuse to close down the club after it already went out of its way to do what was asked of them and MORE.
it just seems like the older generation is actively waging war on youth culture. there's no desire to understand or to reduce harm

Nyx

I bet there's drugs in most pubs too.
But they don't have the same stigma.

Widge

I'll have a check of that. I'm sure I saw one of the team mention it and I've not checked any scissor & thread for ages.

So I'm in to chillwave and electronic music specifically - like those are the only two genres I listen to nowadays outside of the occasional amazing pop song. Anyone feel like recommending me some good electronic artists to get me up to date? For reference I like artists like Stumbleine, ODESZA and Washed Out which are both chillwave or dreamwave but in terms of electronic music specifically I'm also a super fan of bands like Digitalism and Crystal Castles.

Just wondering whether there's any recent releases I'm missing out on. Your assistance would be appreciated!

okno

Eric Cloutier, one of Brooklyn's best techno expatriates, has gone and made his own record label called Palinoia (yaaaaaay)

He has released one of the tracks from the first release in full: Heuristic (yaaaaay)

I want to be excited by this.

I should be excited by this.

But this is regressive techno of the highest fucking order. Snooze.

Top Bottom