• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

andylsun

Cross post from vinyl thread.

Includes extra track that's on digital

Nicolas Jaar Sirens deluxe edition

Cover image is under a scratch off lottery ticket surface with a quarter inside the clear plastic outer

iCWGDiCl.jpg

BCmEHFFl.jpg

5VvwWmpl.jpg

Kiiiiind of obsessed with this Moscoman album. It's so, so, so fun. Just unabashedly fun and funky house music. So refreshing.

Moscoman - Mexican Cola Bottle Baby
The Peaking Lights remixes of this track are baller, too.
I got a couple tracks off that, it's a fun album.

Also new pickups:
cGVEgW6.jpg

Top:
Joy Orbison & Boddika - TMTT

Left to right:
Shall Not Fade White 002
Skudge - Balancing Point
LA-4A - Phonautograph
Randomer & Hodge - Second Freeze / Simple As
Fatima Yamaha - What's A Girl To Do?

andylsun

Seeing Nicolas Jaar tonight in Providence. Nymphs and Sirens! Going to be awesome

Edit: that didn't go so well. Started an hour late due to what I assume were technical issues and we had at least two 10 minute interruptions when things stopped working. Real shame as when everything worked it sounded ace but with all the issues there was no real flow.

Overheard the sound crew at the end saying the whole day had been a disaster.

It was an all seater venue which wasn't really right as there was no good place to dance. Cool building though

M85eOVYl.jpg

put together a mix on the eve of the election, simultaneously it's sad to revisit but also gives me some strength to hang on

https://www.mixcloud.com/alcoves/november-mix/

Midnight Magic - I Gotta Feeling
Robyn - Indestructible (The Black Madonna Remix)
The Cyclist - Pressing Matters (Robag Wruhme Remix)
Sante & Josh Butler - Indigo
Veerus & Maxie Devine - My Beat
Dennis Ji - Still Feel
Subjoi - Hyperfunk
Steven BC - Girl

PillarEN

Man I feel bad for asking here as I'm looking for an album that's on my mind but I can't for the life of me remember if it was even an electronic album.

I think it was though. At least I think it was a producer based album so here is all I vaguly remember.

------------------------------------------------------
The album was made by one dude + some old black guy. The old black guy I think is either known for the trumpet or for the saxophone. I'm not sure if it was all samples or if it was a genuine collaboration. I think the album cover was green colored. The album I think isn't older than 5 years. I also think it was a hipster darling.

The producer of the record has released an album (or two?) since then but it wasn't nearly as well received as this album I'm describing. This album was not a collaboration with the black dude.
----------------------------------------------------

Any idea?

EDIT: Found it.
Artist: Jaime XX, Gil Scott-Heron
Album: We're New Here

My tips were only semi helpful now that I look back at it but the truth is it was hard to google "best music collaborations in the 2010s" and come up with anything pointing me the right way (to be fair it's considered a remix album). Instead I had to brute force my way rateyourmusic and hope to god I was hitting the right genres and years. And I didn't even find it. I found the newer Jaime XX album from 2015 which I guess was a weaker year as it turned up on the first page of 2015 (and shares a very similar album cover). Oddly enough it's rated better than We're New Here, so misremembered that part.

This brings me to the whole subconscious aspect of how this whole search began. I saw a The XX thread on the front of the page. Never bothered with them but suddenly this album gets triggered in my mind even though I've never listened to a single second of it other than knowing about its existence. That's why I thought the Gil may have been some old trumpet player or something else because it was all vaguely jammed in my brain far far away.

GOD I'M SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS ALBUM. Not because I'm going to listen to it. It was just going to bother me as I knew what I was looking for but just couldn't think of it.

And I guess The XX is pretty dope with the hipsters looking at the picture of the band. And yes the debut was well received but their second album is not. So that was another confusion thing in my initial hint.

Widge

God bless the lovely people at Field Records. You probably remember I am a long standing lover of DARFDHS - In The Wake Of The Dark Earth. So I had a digi copy but had an internal pact to get the 12" at some point. Kept an eye on Discogs, a steady £18-£25 on there. I'll get around to it. I'll get around to it. Checked a month ago to find the fucker had shot up to £100! Needless to say I emitted the Metal Gear Solid alert noise from my mouth/bum.

Anyway, I've done a few pieces with Field over the years and they knew I was after it. Lo and behold, Delsin discovered a load of copies in their warehouse. Nutshell - I logged on, threw wallet at the screen, I now have it on vinyl for a decent €18 or so. There may be a few copies left on their shop if you want to snag it before it goes forever.

God bless the lovely people at Field Records. You probably remember I am a long standing lover of DARFDHS - In The Wake Of The Dark Earth. So I had a digi copy but had an internal pact to get the 12" at some point. Kept an eye on Discogs, a steady £18-£25 on there. I'll get around to it. I'll get around to it. Checked a month ago to find the fucker had shot up to £100! Needless to say I emitted the Metal Gear Solid alert noise from my mouth/bum.

Anyway, I've done a few pieces with Field over the years and they knew I was after it. Lo and behold, Delsin discovered a load of copies in their warehouse. Nutshell - I logged on, threw wallet at the screen, I now have it on vinyl for a decent €18 or so. There may be a few copies left on their shop if you want to snag it before it goes forever.
I don't see it here, should I be looking somewhere else? http://www.fieldrecords.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=91_95

Widge

I have reservations.

1) £115 for an album
2) The Body was patchy
3) I'm not a big fan of the out of sync vocals that permeate certain Traumprinz releases.

I think that I'll never own this on vinyl. Especially as I just baulked at spending £50 on the Fez OST.

BeeDog

I have reservations.

1) £115 for an album
2) The Body was patchy
3) I'm not a big fan of the out of sync vocals that permeate certain Traumprinz releases.

I think that I'll never own this on vinyl. Especially as I just baulked at spending £50 on the Fez OST.

I hear ya, it's a ridiculous asking price for one album, but since (1) it's on 8 (presumably heavyweight) vinyls, (2) Giegling releases always increase in price (I can convince myself this is an investment), (3) I loved "The Body" and (4) I already have all the previous Forum releases, it wasn't hard for me to scrounge up the dough and hit "Order". Let's hope the album is good now :)

Widge

I think I'd be more inclined if I hadn't grabbed the likes of Convextion, Arc Angel, Long Trax (all 3), Giegling compilation, Olin S remixes, Indigo Aera compilation, 2 x DARFDHS LPs...

I could potentially be tipped over the edge if I heard snippets and it was 8 slabs of absolute fire. Because I know I am weak and must be punished.

okno

I'm not jumping on it. It's a slap in the face of fans to not have a single PoD release for three years and then surprise everyone with something like this. The odds are in our favor that the 8 records are mostly fire, but it's pretty shitty to surprise everyone with a new, $115 record. Giegling lost me a while ago, but I think with this I'm out completely.

Widge

I'm not jumping on it. It's a slap in the face of fans to not have a single PoD release for three years and then surprise everyone with something like this. The odds are in our favor that the 8 records are mostly fire, but it's pretty shitty to surprise everyone with a new, $115 record. Giegling lost me a while ago, but I think with this I'm out completely.

I've got the Olin remixes (great!) and the compilation on the way, which are fairly decent value I think. This though... I mean Will Long cost me a good £60 or so across all the releases, and I scoff at giving iam8bit $75 for the Hyper Light Drifter OST, it's just another level of expense.

okno

Finally managed to get a copy of The Black Madonna's "He Is the Voice I Hear" from a domestic source! Easy as pie to get from the EU/UK, but nearly all US outlets sold out immediately. Ain't no way I'm buying this from across the pond.

BeeDog

So what do people think of the new Burial record? I personally find it dull as shit; for some reason I get bored to tears the further he moves into ambient/electronica.

Hey all, just got back from the Mount Kimbie show at National Sawdust. Gig was pretty intimate, setlist was about 11 songs, and they played two new songs "Synthi" and "170". I think I have partial audio of both, but the show was amazing. What is it with low-key recorded tracks and monstrous live versions? Nicolas Jaar had it, James Blake had it, and now Mount Kimbie did.

Throwing an underground tonight, but hard to imagine doing so after the fire yesterday.

My friends all seem to be ok, but many acquaintances are missing and they are expecting as many as 40 dead.

I'm a at a bit of a loss this morning.
Yeah. I didn't know anyone personally there, but I've seen Nackt play before, not sure if they're ok. Also I heard Cherushii was there but haven't seen any confirmation. It's unbelievable.

Yeah. I didn't know anyone personally there, but I've seen Nackt play before, not sure if they're ok. Also I heard Cherushii was there but haven't seen any confirmation. It's unbelievable.

Having been to that space before, it was a total death trap. Some beautiful art but they really should have had taken way more precautions for safety.

There was supposedly only about 100 people there so if there really ends up being 40 odd dead... jesus.

Linius

Just got back from Nicolas Jaar in Amsterdam. Pretty great show I have to say. Space is Only Noise if You See hit hard.

A friend in touch with a resident has told me that basically everyone who is considered missing at this point is almost certainly dead.

This is going to have a huge effect on the community here and I'm really not prepared to deal with it in a public setting tonight. I'm a goddam mess.

okno

A friend in touch with a resident has told me that basically everyone who is considered missing at this point is almost certainly dead.

This is going to have a huge effect on the community here and I'm really not prepared to deal with it in a public setting tonight. I'm a goddam mess.

I've been at work all day, so the reality of the whole situation hasn't even begun to sink in until just now. I'm a crying mess over here. I was just out last night at the club with my fiancé and several of my very close friends. This hits entirely too close to home, but I can only imagine what you must be going through right now, being so close to it. Be strong and be safe.

I've been at work all day, so the reality of the whole situation hasn't even begun to sink in until just now. I'm a crying mess over here. I was just out last night at the club with my fiancé and several of my very close friends. This hits entirely too close to home, but I can only imagine what you must be going through right now, being so close to it. Be strong and be safe.

Thanks. I just got word from an ex-coworker than 4 of his friends are on the missing list (one of whom DJ'ing). Almost certainly all gone.

this is so awful, I hadnt met any of the people personally but a lot of them were in my extended network of music friends. A lot of bay area friends are grieving, its so sad. I was just chatting with Cherushii a few weeks ago to do a mix for us, its insane.

this is so awful, I hadnt met any of the people personally but a lot of them were in my extended network of music friends. A lot of bay area friends are grieving, its so sad. I was just chatting with Cherushii a few weeks ago to do a mix for us, its insane.
I was only just learning about her, saw her a few weeks ago with The Black Madonna. From everything I heard she was an amazing person and someone I hoped I'd be able to meet and talk to

Top Bottom