• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Widge

This is pretty sad. I saw the news today in Instagram.

Though I came here to ask, where do you guys and gals go for house/tech house/techno.. reviews and news?

Weirdly, Twitter. I follow everyone on a line with my interests (my follows are near enough wall to wall music with a scattering of games and other) and my feed keeps me abreast of stuff that I don't get sent.

Widge

wait how did I not know you guys were IA? I've found a ton of stuff I love there

I'm just one! I was the dep Ed until recently when life commitments and all sorts forced me to step back a bit, but I'm still beavering away over there. Trying to focus on reviews which is a nice break of pace. Just did the Throwing Snow LP.

I'm just one! I was the dep Ed until recently when life commitments and all sorts forced me to step back a bit, but I'm still beavering away over there. Trying to focus on reviews which is a nice break of pace. Just did the Throwing Snow LP.
What actually goes into running that?

Widge

What actually goes into running that?

Behind the scenes, you're checking out music, talking to the promo people, artists, fielding requests for premieres, interviews, news pieces. The sheer volume of that can be overwhelming when you have to respond to it pretty reactively, especially when you're putting together the look and feel, structure of every article.

Outside of that, there is looking to run unique pieces, partner with organisations, mix series to get sorted. The eds are doing shed loads, you get video pieces, there is a Smalltown Supersound night next week, events, guesting on radio shows.

It's why I wanted to get back into covering tracks. Felt like so much great audio slipped by each month and I wasn't delivering. Literally cramming it in around my day job. Also doesn't help when something like Skyrim Special Edition comes out or that fateful thought of "why don't I quickly see what Elite Dangerous is like?" creeps into my mind.

okno

Allergy Season and Discwoman have combined efforts to release a 42-track protest EP entitled 'Physically Sick' in time for the inauguration: Allergy Season - Physically Sick

It's available for "name your own price" and includes an absolutely mental track list:
1.rRoxymore - Universal Struggle
2.Stingray313 - 2.4 GHz ISM
3.Bookworms - Sacred Drama
4.Zach Kidd - Uon Door
5.DJ Ry - Ew
6.Bergsonist - Colonial Revolution
7.FBI Warning - Dead by 3
8.Russel E. L. Butler - Orr Springs Road
9.Shaun J. Wright & Alinka - Growing Storm
10.Bezier - Passages
11.Max McFerren - Well Tempered Ecstasy
12.Heartthrob - Dizfunction
13.Isabella - Dying and Denying
14.Aquarian - Hydropulse
15.Elijah - Menace
16.Cryptolect - Punished
17.Umfang - Freak Is Out
18.SHYBOI - Ananasem
19.AceMo - Land Scanner (Spectre)
20.Kirk the Flirt - Back2Biz
21.The Movement Trust - Less Work
22.Lamin Fofana - The Dithering
23.Stud1nt - Ad Nauseum
24.Khallee & IMGRNT - Action
25.James K. - My Sorrow Is Luminous
26.Yu Su - Tales
27.J. Albert - Skin For Later
28.Via App - Anisthynia
29.Fatherhood - In Yr Body
30.Steven Warwick - Sailing
31.John Barera & Paul Morse - Born Runnin
32.Doc Sleep - It's Time 2 Yack
33.Escandalo - VENAMI
34.Draveng - Xeroxer (Heck On Earth Edit)
35.Yaeji - Full Of It
36.Jayda G - Sestra's Cry
37.Moni Moni - 26,172 (US) Bombs dropped on short notice
38.Physical Therapy - This Techno Tool Track Kills Fascists
39.Person Of Interest - Washed
40.JM - Open Wheel
41.Tito Fuego ft. Alexis Blair Penney - All My Love To The Planet
42.Octo Octa - Only Tears

There will also be a party held at The Gateway in Brooklyn tonight with a phenomenal lineup: https://www.facebook.com/events/603141003219863/

Got to meet them in SF when they were here, dudes are super nice. Talked to them before they DJ'd to open for their own live set, then when they were done one of the guys ran down and gave me a hug on the dance floor

That's the best.

The night after the big Lehman Brothers crash Carl Craig was playing Mezzanine and like 10% of the crowd showed up that you would expect. I danced my ass off the whole time and right when he finished he got down off stage and made a b-line for me and just gave me a big hug.

That's the best.

The night after the big Lehman Brothers crash Carl Craig was playing Mezzanine and like 10% of the crowd showed up that you would expect. I danced my ass off the whole time and right when he finished he got down off stage and made a b-line for me and just gave me a big hug.
The guy said his name was also Kevin but I don't know if he was bullshitting me or not, I have no idea their actual names haha

Aizo

Banned
Feeling the urge to listen to something new. In the process of explaining my tastes, I'm sure I can introduce someone to something they might like. I mostly listen to weird avant garde Japanese IDM, Synthpop, Chiptune, or whatever Orland is.

Artists I've liked in the past:
Orland
Go-qualia
Experimental Black Metal IDM hybrid: VMO whom I saw play for the second time on Friday the 13th.
80kidz
Anamanaguchi
Classic Daft Punk
Justice
My favorite electronic artist of all is probably she (Lain Trzaska)

So my issue is that I like these artists, but I want to listen to something new. I listened to a lot of Trance like A&B in high school, along with lots of anjunabeats stuff. I do want something with a really full sound, and maybe something with some heavy bass.

To the point:
Things I like: IDM, Chiptune, Trance, D&B (really just Pendulum), cool experimental stuff, fusion with Black or Death Metal, Synthpop (think Lights or Metric)

Things I don't like: most EDM I've heard in the past 10 years, most dubstep and related subgenres I've heard in the last 10 years.

thabiz

Oh and if you didn't do this last year

benton-volume-one.jpg

You seriously fucked up on life.

Widge

Great contents though. Reminds me of the more off kilter labels like Svek.

I've also come around to the Prince Of Denmark album. It's a huuuuuge demanding listen but some great moments on there.

okno

Anything on here you can recommend?

Honestly, almost the entire catalog is worth buying. It's a rock solid label full of disco, house, and techno, but also has some oddballs thrown in there with some experimental stuff sprinkled in. I'd definitely recommend snatching up the Alex Falk record, anything General Ludd, the two Nebraska EPs, and Anthony Naples for you, but check out the whole collection.

Also, here's some fat as fuck house: Shrimp Traxx - Jersey Trade Love this whole record.

Sounds super familiar to me... Sounds like a Gui Boratto or Robert Babicz track, but I'm leaning more towards Babicz. Could even be Booka Shade, maybe?
Thanks, I'll see what I can find from that. Shazam was useless so I was wondering if it was even something unreleased

okno

Did a belated birthday mix for my brother earlier today, thought y'all might enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/thisiseirikur/bjossi-17

Mjog - Connection
Todd Terry - Come Around
Mjog - Connection
You Speak What I Feel - My Good Friends Tell Me That
DJ Soch - Unknown (Tribal Dub)
Grant - Bends
Todd Terry - Weekend (U.K. Remix)
Todd Terry - Dance With Me
Cody Currie - Asteroid Belt
DJ Soch - Unknown (Original Mix)
Central - H Is Just A Number
Traumprinz - Set Your Lovin' (Kasha's Bad Romance Short Mix)
The Walt J Project - Love Is On My Side (Smudge Mix)
Shrimp Traxx - Jersey Trade
Mjog - Apollo 13
Prince of Denmark - Planet Uterus
John Barera & Paul Morse - Born Runnin'
Tevo Howard - Popular House Music
Remi Mazet - Paris Is Burning
Todd Terry - Fly Away
Merle - Mimi Likes 2 Dance
Cassy - April

Widge

Don't forget Bandcamp are donating profits today to ACLU, so I'm going to get my lovely to pre-order the Talaboman vinyl. I'm going through it right now and it's really solid - deep but not intangible so it just drifts over you and away. Might sort out Sasha's Scene Delete remixes #2 too.

OG Kush

Guys, what do you do if your close friends aren't too big on raves/dance music events? I love a good rave, but don't think I could go alone.

okno

Guys, what do you do if your close friends aren't too big on raves/dance music events? I love a good rave, but don't think I could go alone.

I was like you. Just start going by yourself, you'll become more comfortable and feel at home. Ecstasy also helps :p

okno

Same.
Honestly I feel like a good dance floor experience is often a solo thing anyway. It's just you and the music

I prefer going by myself and just meeting random people, and eventually becoming friends with all of the other solo weirdos there. Doesn't help that I am the only person in my friend circle who goes to gigs to see specific DJs and not just to get faced and dance all night. Because of this, going to the club has become a pretty singular experience for me, and I feel far more comfortable if I don't bring anyone with me. Unless they're a head, like me, then it's a bit different.

I prefer going by myself and just meeting random people, and eventually becoming friends with all of the other solo weirdos there. Doesn't help that I am the only person in my friend circle who goes to gigs to see specific DJs and not just to get faced and dance all night. Because of this, going to the club has become a pretty singular experience for me, and I feel far more comfortable if I don't bring anyone with me. Unless they're a head, like me, then it's a bit different.
yep pretty much the same here, except usually without meeting other people too much. but I'm typically the only one I know who wants to go out on a wednesday to see a dj

Widge

I managed to secure a download from a forthcoming Midgar release. Grab the Ruff Cherry remix of Wata Igarashi here.

Mention a forthcoming Ruff Cherry release in the piece, well worth keeping an eye out for that. I've had a listen and its pretty good.

Ok, I finally heard 2000 Species of Cacti on a real club system and it blew me away, I'm all on the train of that and The Frontier now. I take it all back.

blanchot

Feeling the urge to listen to something new. In the process of explaining my tastes, I'm sure I can introduce someone to something they might like. I mostly listen to weird avant garde Japanese IDM, Synthpop, Chiptune, or whatever Orland is.

Artists I've liked in the past:
Orland
Go-qualia
Experimental Black Metal IDM hybrid: VMO whom I saw play for the second time on Friday the 13th.
80kidz
Anamanaguchi
Classic Daft Punk
Justice
My favorite electronic artist of all is probably she (Lain Trzaska)

So my issue is that I like these artists, but I want to listen to something new. I listened to a lot of Trance like A&B in high school, along with lots of anjunabeats stuff. I do want something with a really full sound, and maybe something with some heavy bass.

To the point:
Things I like: IDM, Chiptune, Trance, D&B (really just Pendulum), cool experimental stuff, fusion with Black or Death Metal, Synthpop (think Lights or Metric)

Things I don't like: most EDM I've heard in the past 10 years, most dubstep and related subgenres I've heard in the last 10 years.
thoughts on this?
https://etherealuniverse.bandcamp.com/album/ethereal-universe-vol-7

Top Bottom