• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Davidion

btkadams said:
i understand that. it's weird to me though. i guess its like pop music in a way? electronic music seems to not even be a genre. its like a whole mass of music. it's as if it's one big genre, and country/rap/rock/rnb/pop are all one genre. so weird to me lol. when was trance big? im just wondering since i used to like hard trance a lot (but it wasn't because of it being popular, it was good for chomping discobiscuits).

Electronic music, dare I say it, is probably the most diverse music "genre" out there, if you want to cast that big a net. Not only because there are so many sounds incorporated into it, but almost every little influence and sound coagulates into its own sub-genres and grows within itself. It's all segmented growth, and not some fluid evolution like people would expect of a larger genre.

Take House music for instance, you have French House, Deep House, Funky House, Disco House, West Coast House, Chicago House, Chicago Hard House, Garage, Microhouse, Gospel House, etc etc, each with its own unique and signature sound. This is just a sampling of the sub-subgenres *within* a major subgenre of electronic music. Half the fun is diving into all the little minute nooks and crannies and finding a sound you like, because that really buzzy bass line or the copious amounts of thrashing guitar riff just might have its own little mini-genre and there's a whole bunch of people making music that sounds just like that. Fidget house is a fine example, an exemplary one, even. You don't evolve the sound, other sounds, new and old just comes along and it all compounds and morphs; that's how EDM as a whole changes. All for the better, I say; it forces the listener to go and find new sound and reconcile it with their own tastes instead of just sitting there and listening to whatever becomes popular next.

Trance (and we're talking pop/UK/Dutch trance here), was the big sound during the late 90's/turn of the millennium, and is actually the genre that introduce me not to EDM per se, but the community and the "zeitgeist" within it all, for the lack of a better word. Hard trance/Chicago Hard House/Hardcore still have their group fans and have "historically" been popular amongst raver kids; I wouldn't be surprised if they're still rocking it today.

Shaneus

^^^ Agree totally. That's what I love about "it"... there are always new things to discover and you're never really stuck in one particular, steadfast style. There's always aspects of one that bleed into another to introduce you to something new.

And the thing with Crookers... sure, they're massive but am I the only one who noticed they're basically emulating Switch from a few years ago?

crispyben

btkadams said:
Birdy Nam Nam - Trans Boulogne Express
Album is out in France, pretty good, produced by Yuksek except the last track which is produced by Justice. I can buy it for you if you want, it's 14€.

By the way, where do you all get that Daft Punk will release an album this year?

joelseph

btkadams said:
hey you guys never answered my question from before. are you all mostly in europe?

and for those that are, are there really a shitload of clubs that play all this music? there's only one in calgary :(

I live in Chicago. We have a decent club scene, just don't get these DJs through often. Last show I was at was Boy 8-Bit back in the fall.

btkadams

crispyben said:
Album is out in France, pretty good, produced by Yuksek except the last track which is produced by Justice. I can buy it for you if you want, it's 14€.

By the way, where do you all get that Daft Punk will release an album this year?
i really appreciate that! but i'm kind of broke right now. i may order it online in the future, or just listen to it on youtube until i get sick of it lol.

theres just rumours that a new cd is coming out this year because they were confirmed to be heading into the studio a while back. like a WHILE back. and theres always 4 year gaps in between albums so assuming they follow the same pattern, 2009 is due for a new album from daft.
joelseph said:
I live in Chicago. We have a decent club scene, just don't get these DJs through often. Last show I was at was Boy 8-Bit back in the fall.
yeah, i'm not saying the scene is bad in calgary, but djs like daft punk or justice have never been here i don't think. they could sell out the stadium with the way every bar plays daft punk and everyone loves them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't care for Crookers myself, the production and mastering in their tracks sounds extremely poor, I tend to prefer more glossy production values in music myself, that is one of the things trance still gets right.

Kitsuné said:
It depends a lot on what definition you have of "electronic music". It could be the general "everything that's made with electronic instruments", but just as with hiphop and metal, it has a lot of sub genres. I'm not even going to bother with summing them all up.
Electronic music, in particular the hip/indie/electro stuff, has become more and more popular in recent years, so it's also more and more prone to certain trends and hypes. One of the biggest examples of that would probably be Crookers, they're massive over here in Europe, and a lot of new acts are copying their sound right now. I fucking annoys me really, because you end up with a lot of stuff that sounds exactly the same. As I said before, I want something eclectic in the end, mix different styles and sounds. I don't want to end up dancing to 2 hours of the same thing, how good it may be, it just gets boring after 2 or 3 songs. I should record one of my sets to show you what I mean.

I don't know shit about trance, just that I don't like it at all, so I can't answer that question :p

Haha, I just watched Arte's Tracks and wanted to tell you guys about Crookers. Now I read this. :lol :lol

joelseph

djtiesto said:
I don't care for Crookers myself, the production and mastering in their tracks sounds extremely poor, I tend to prefer more glossy production values in music myself, that is one of the things trance still gets right.

I guess I am in the minority then, I adore Phra and Bot. I really think they aren't afraid to make or play the music they like, and I respect that. Plus, I really dig their music, like their remix of Mike Snow's Animal!

And another point, they are huge Hip Hop fans. You got to respect that. They make beats for hip hop artists and everything, their beat for Kid Cudi's Embrace the Martian was so good. I mean come on! These guys are the real deal, they just get a shitty response because they popular.

btkadams

joelseph said:
I guess I am in the minority then, I adore Phra and Bot. I really think they aren't afraid to make or play the music they like, and I respect that. Plus, I really dig their music, like their remix of Mike Snow's Animal!

And another point, they are huge Hip Hop fans. You got to respect that. They make beats for hip hop artists and everything, their beat for Kid Cudi's Embrace the Martian was so good. I mean come on! These guys are the real deal, they just get a shitty response because they popular.
i've only heard a handful of songs by them but none have really wowed me. and this isn't because they're "popular" lol because i don't know anyone who actually knows what crookers is. that thunderstruck remix destroyed my life when i heard it so that probably really tainted their image in my mind.

btkadams

joelseph said:
Listen to their BBC Radio 1 mix start to finish, might give you more insight. =)
i will do that just for you. JUST. FOR. YOU. searching for a dl now.. i have pretty much only listened to digitalism and mstrkrfts essential mixes, i've never really been into them until i realized the beauty of getting drunk at my house and putting on a mix. do you have any others you know of that i would like? electro/punk kind of style? hell i'd listen to a benassi essential mix too if there is one.

joelseph

btkadams said:
i will do that just for you. JUST. FOR. YOU. searching for a dl now.. i have pretty much only listened to digitalism and mstrkrfts essential mixes, i've never really been into them until i realized the beauty of getting drunk at my house and putting on a mix. do you have any others you know of that i would like? electro/punk kind of style? hell i'd listen to a benassi essential mix too if there is one.

Crookers Essential mix
Sharkslayer Megamix - edits/remix/fidget
ChewyChocolateCookies Megamix - edits/remix/electro
Uproot Andy Guacharaca Migration Mix - world beat/edits/hip hop
Local Hero Dumpster Diving 3 - electro/house
Guns N' Bombs Mixtape 3 - electro
Dave Nadda Love in this Bmore Club - bmore club

joelseph

Saw this just now, can't read it so not certain it is new new.

Bloody Beetroots 2009 Remix teasers

Mister Bob a mis en ligne aujourd’hui un teaser de tous les remixes qu’il a produit ou qu’il est en train de produire pour 2009 sur myspace. Ca s’annonce très alléchant ! On en peut plus on veut tout ! Silteplait Bobby ! Petite mention spéciale au remix pour les S.P.A que j’attends particulièrement !

1. Tiga - Mind Dimension (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (TURBO REC)
2. Zoo Brazil - Circle Jerk [Feat. Adam Sky] (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (TURBO REC)
3. [[[Zuper Blahq]]] - Here We Go (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (DIM MAK REC)
4. The All-American Rejects - Give Gives You Hell (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (INTERSCOPE)
5. Sound Of Stereo - Heads Up! (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (LEKTROLUV)
6. Pink - So What (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (ZOMBA)
7. Peaches - Billionaire (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (XL)
8. S.P.A - Pets Dance (The Bloody Beetroots Remix) (DIM MAK)
9. Fact - Fog (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)

192kbs - http://www.mediafire.com/file/hytzznoudxm/Bloody Beetroots - Remixes Teaser 2009.mp3

btkadams

thanks joelseph for the recommendations! i also looked at the bbc radio one essential mixes site and theres about 10 im interested in giving a chance. a loooooottt of listening i will have to do. wish i could dl now but im at the university.

another question for you hardcores: why do you keep buying these mint condition copies of old daft? were the vinyls not the same as the digital copies? were they higher quality? i know vinyl has always been better quality than digital but aren't they the same now since they are recorded digitally?

Slizz

PREACH btk PREACH lol, i want DP to come down here in miami, whenever they do ill be there, if they come for WMC ill def be there

btkadams

Slizz said:
PREACH btk PREACH lol, i want DP to come down here in miami, whenever they do ill be there, if they come for WMC ill def be there
yeah i want them to come to canada again. my mom and dad said if they tour again in NA they will fly my bro and i to wherever to see them. DOPE!

hey did you remember the dj who was dating that bouncer you met?

Slizz

no! i didnt im retarded sorry, EDIT: i smoke too much. btw is there any Laidback Luke appreciation in here?? anyone have any comments on him?

btkadams

Slizz said:
no! i didnt im retarded sorry, EDIT: i smoke too much. btw is there any Laidback Luke appreciation in here?? anyone have any comments on him?
never heard of him. what kind of music does he make?

and no worries, i was just curious. i'm very curious as to which djs are gay, i wanna know my chances with them lol. i would sooo date a dj.

im seeing DJ AM on feb 25th, anyone have any comments on his live show? i just wanna get drunk at the whiskey again lol. mstrkrft made it seem like a killer bar but they usually don't let my kind in (18 year old guys).

btkadams

BakedPigeon said:
Hell yea man, mstrkrft is sick...... they put on a helluva show to.
yeah, they quickly become my favourite. they just seem like they keep getting better and better, it's awesome! hopefully i will be a full member by march so i can make the sickest thread for their new cd. album of the yearrrrrr (and thats considering new daft might be coming out this year).

Slizz

btkadams said:
never heard of him. what kind of music does he make?

and no worries, i was just curious. i'm very curious as to which djs are gay, i wanna know my chances with them lol. i would sooo date a dj.

im seeing DJ AM on feb 25th, anyone have any comments on his live show? i just wanna get drunk at the whiskey again lol. mstrkrft made it seem like a killer bar but they usually don't let my kind in (18 year old guys).

Laidback Luke is like a house/deep house, hes awesome to me, started out as a hip hop dj in the netherlands then really made a name for himself when he went to house:

link to an awesome mix: http://www.sharelinks.info/2008/09/24/va-mixmag_presents-laidback_luke_ibiza_closing_party-mag-2008-uc/

btkadams

Slizz said:
lol what do you think so far?
had to redownload now cuz my internet dropped out when i left my class. so.... i haven't been wowed yet lol.

fuck its going to be cut off again and then ill have to redownload. stupid safari should let you continue downloads after losing internet and getting it back again.

Slizz

Davidion said:
Ugh, can't download at work from the file storage sites.

He's put out some great sets over the years.

like rapidshare and megaupload?? that ibiza closing set i posted is real real good

Davidion

Slizz said:
like rapidshare and megaupload?? that ibiza closing set i posted is real real good

I'm on the company t3 pipe, looks like others from here have picked the allotted free download quota clean. :lol

I'll just grab it when I get home.

Slizz

Davidion said:
I'm on the company t3 pipe, looks like others from here have picked the allotted free download quota clean. :lol

I'll just grab it when I get home.

ohhh didnt read you were at work, yea def DL it, especially if you like him

btkadams

finally got home and im checking out some of those mixes. i listened to first 5 minutes of the crookers mix and while it was good, it just wasn't my thing. i know that they mix different styles though so im going to listen to the whole thing before judging but i switched over to the laidback luke mix and i actually am really enjoying it.

Oh shit, Hot Chip did a cover of Joy Division's song "Transmission":

Listen

Here, they go a step further intermingling a ghostly voice and droning synths with sparkling guitars noodles, steel drums, and Alexis Taylor, transforming Ian Curtis & Co's claustrophobic and icy but danceable isolation into something a little sunnier while maintaining a somber and, yes, danceable feel. The result? More than a novelty.

In internet time it's probably old as fuck, but I LOVE the Gentlemen Drivers Rave Remix of the Teenagers "Homecoming". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGD_N56YGu4

joelseph

I am on a mission to find a new track. If anyone wants to try and help I am all for it. =)

Maluca Y Diplo - Tigaraso

Mumdance plays it towards the end of his KISS FM set. I also see it mentioned on Mad Decent's top 10. Other than that I can't find shit.

I need this song. =/

btkadams

did anybody else notice on the mstrkrft essential mix that idiot bbc guy said that jesse f keeler was of Death From Above 1969? for those of you who don't know, he was part of a band called Death From Above 1979. not a huge difference, but come on... that's pretty disrespectful to jesse to get it wrong when you're having him on the radio lol.

and im still dying to hear a HQ version of that fist of god song lol. i even spent a half hour making a shitty btkadams version of it so that i could listen to it while i wait.

btkadams

if anybody is interested, i asked jesse f. keeler (of MSTRKRFT) if there was going to be any singles released before the new album in march and he said he heard a while ago that they were but he's not totally sure. hopefully we get something in the next month.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
There's certainly going to be one single, they have to promote the album in a way.
I don't know what to expect from Fist of God tbh. I thought The Looks was rather weak. Granted, they did admit they had to rush that album, but still.
After that came VuVuVu and Bounce. I still think VuVuVu is one of the best dance tracks of last year, but I really really really hate Bounce. I hope the album will be a lot like VuVuVu, but I'm afraid it'll be more like Bounce. Making an album like Bounce seems to be the smartest decision commercially, but I hope they won't do it ... :(

btkadams

Kitsuné said:
There's certainly going to be one single, they have to promote the album in a way.
I don't know what to expect from Fist of God tbh. I thought The Looks was rather weak. Granted, they did admit they had to rush that album, but still.
After that came VuVuVu and Bounce. I still think VuVuVu is one of the best dance tracks of last year, but I really really really hate Bounce. I hope the album will be a lot like VuVuVu, but I'm afraid it'll be more like Bounce. Making an album like Bounce seems to be the smartest decision commercially, but I hope they won't do it ... :(
i find a lot of people despise bounce until they hear it live. when you are drunk and dancing, bounce is the best song.

Are you guys still going on about Daft Punk? Yes yes, new album and all, but still. x.x I know it's been popular for awhile now (last couple years), but this French-influenced House/Electro-House/Ed Banger is getting very stale.

On an unrelated note is anyone a fan of Convextion? He's definitely a secluded individual, but you can catch him live once in a bluemoon (he was in Chicago last November I believe at the Smart Bar). I've been on a Convextion tangent again recently, so I thought I would introduce him to the people who are unfamiliar with him here.

The clips will do more justice than my explanation, but his music definitely channels the old Detroit vibe. So if you are into Melodic Techno/Electro do check these out:

Don't mind the tool in the beginning
Beautiful Pads
Model 500 remix

This one is not a Convextion tune, but kinda in similar vein.

miyuru

btkadams said:
another question for you hardcores: why do you keep buying these mint condition copies of old daft? were the vinyls not the same as the digital copies? were they higher quality? i know vinyl has always been better quality than digital but aren't they the same now since they are recorded digitally?

Vinyl isn't "better quality" than digital IMO, don't dumb things down like that. It's more just different. One reason for the difference in sound that often goes overlooked is, despite the source material, vinyls are mastered differently than CDs. Coupled with being analog, the sound will be different.

I'm not sure if the Daft vinyls are different than the CD versions. I don't think so though. Myself I own Homework, Discovery, and the Aerodynamic single (Daft Punk vs. Slum Village). I bought them more just to have them, because they're out of print and really cool to have. IMO anyone who's buying them is buying them to collect them more than anything else.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shaneus said:
And the thing with Crookers... sure, they're massive but am I the only one who noticed they're basically emulating Switch from a few years ago?

Yeah, unfortunately that is true. Crookers and the whole Fidget scene is basically ripping off Switch now that the mainstream has caught up with the sound, which like Electroclash was WAY ahead of it's time.

The current electro scene is basically all stuff from YEARS ago, that the public didn't 'get' in. Some of the old acts are still around and doing well, but a lot of them gave up/lost money etc. because no one brought their records back then. REAL shame =(

Trevor Loveys was one-half of Switch and is going strong at the moment with Machines Don't Care and his solo stuff.

He's also a regular @ ibar, and I'll have some exclusives up on the ibar musicblog as soon as Lydia sends me them ... :D

Make sure you check out his stuff, especially the track Byrdy Beatz available online as part of the Shake It EP on Tragic Magic Records (also connected with ibar ;)

You will LOVE it! :D

Shaneus

Whilst sort of dance music yet closer to "Groundbreaking Electronic Music", I'd like to bring up the off-the-cuff cover of Hot Chip's "Ready for the Floor" by Little Boots. Seriously, I think I'm in love with this woman based off this video alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6tLRCDqJ2c
Wow. Adorable voice, cute and has a Tenori-on. What more could a guy want?

51ccffa1f4c561ff06e1ff5b866cb6b36564936a_m.jpg

:D

Oh and I got this today:

3222475763_9ed45197f8_o.jpg

3222475857_133ed17afb_o.jpg

3222475947_920518f1d2_o.jpg

3223333750_6607c0cc57_o.jpg

Top Bottom