• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams thread

gwiz210

I asked this a few pages back, but does anyone know if there are Christmas NiGHTS unlockables if the weather channel date/internal clock dates are on 12/25?

Chao

NiGHTS JOD Deluxe pack

pa.113039.5.jpg

pa.113039.6.jpg

pa.113039.7.jpg

pa.113039.8.jpg

pa.113039.2.jpg

pa.113039.4.jpg

Innotech

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I wish we got something even close to that in NA. We get the game and the bag it came in.
I know.
Konami packaged plushies with their games (Elebits, Deweys Adventure). I wonder why all companies dont throw in some sort of incentive for preordering or buying their game.

temjin

Banned
how come the gameplay videos look awesome, but everyone says theyre not so awesome? i seriously think the gameplay videos look ace, apart from the bird thing.

temjin said:
how come the gameplay videos look awesome, but everyone says theyre not so awesome? i seriously think the gameplay videos look ace, apart from the bird thing.
I don't think anyone's really pooping on the flying gameplay sections much, it's other stuff that is apparently not working so well.

We'll all know pretty soon, though. Except Euros. But they'll have enough impressions on the game to get a good grasp, I think.

grandjedi6 said:
Its made by Sonic Team USA and Takashi Iizuka, neither of them have ever made a good game

Last time I checked they made the original Nights and Sonic Adventure. The studio behind the latest crappy games like Sonic 360 and Shadow the hedgehog are Sonic team Japan.

Johnny

The_legend_of_drtre said:
Last time I checked they made the original Nights and Sonic Adventure. The studio behind the latest crappy games like Sonic 360 and Shadow the hedgehog are Sonic team Japan.
Um. No, those were Sonic Team USA. Check the credits on them.

Really? The director of Nights Wii said that Sonic Team Japan now handles the Sonic games. Or maybe he meant "from now on"?
Sonic Team Japan did Sonic and the Secret Rings, so maybe that is what he means.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Really? The director of Nights Wii said that Sonic Team Japan now handles the Sonic games. Or maybe he meant "from now on"?
Ugh, if it means they'll be working with other Sega IPs instead of Sonic then I hope they at least hire a better art team and that the team sticks close to every formula like they did here gameplay-wise. Iizuka said he's interested in doing Burning Rangers next right? Well at least they would have no reason to put a bunch of cut-scenes in a game like that, right?

AniHawk

jj984jj said:
Ugh, if it means they'll be working with other Sega IPs instead of Sonic then I hope they at least hire a better art team and that the team sticks close to every formula like they did here gameplay-wise. Iizuka said he's interested in doing Burning Rangers next right? Well at least they would have no reason to put a bunch of cut-scenes in a game like that, right?

Well all it means is that Burning Rangers didn't have an engaging enough story!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Innotech said:
except, you know, THE ORIGINAL NIGHTS GAME.

No they didn't. Sonic Team US (Sega Studios US) wasn't even created until 2000

No they didn't. Their first project was Sonic Adventure 2, and yes they worked on Shadow the Hedgehog too

Teddman said:
It's true that Sonic USA did Sonic Adventure 2, so they have put out a good game.

I liked Sonic Adventure 2, but even I admit it was a flawed game

ShadiWulf

Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure 2 - SEGA STUDIOS USA (Sonic Team USA)

Sonic Adventure, Sonic the Hedgehog 06 - Sonic Team Japan

Sonic Riders, Sonic Riders ZG - Sonic Team Japan (UGA)

dock

I really want that collectors edition! (or rather, the keychain and the figure).
It's annoying that it is sold out already at Play-asia, and the only one on ebay is missing the keychain! D:

There's way too much conjecture and speculation based upon credentials here. The only impressions I had heard so far were Shane from 1up Yours, and he seemed very positive about the game. However I have a friend who says his friend pirated it and thinks that JOD is shit, so I don't know what to believe. I'm pre-ordering this either way, nothing will stop me from buying this.

sarcoa

I'm half way into the second level with Will and I'm starting to wonder if I played the same game as Jonnyram. The bird-chase portions of the levels are truly NiGHTS reborn. I dumped hundreds of hours into the original (and Christmas NiGHTS) and the opening level of each world has had me grinning from ear to ear. Every single part of the experience feels like NiGHTS did on Saturn. Yes, the context of the game has changed, but, essentially, it still feels like you're doing the same thing. The sense of immediacy of the bird flying away with the key kind of rushes you through the level and sort of discourages exploration, but repeat playthroughs, at a slower pace, have given me time to appreciate the beauty of each course. I haven't played enough to determine if the amount of time it takes to grab the key from the bird parallels to the amount of time it took to load the Ideya holder with 20 orbs, but, theoretically, you could overlook the bird chase for a few laps, ramp up your score with links and blue orbs, then grab the key from the bird before time runs out. Maybe.

The other "missions" you need to do to complete level aren't too bad, but they don't have the appeal or wow factor of the first chase. Not awful, but after getting an A I doubt I'll ever play through those again. I have yet to encounter any of the apparently awful platforming stages.

Oh, and the music is exceptional. People may argue with the changes or unnecessary additions to the gameplay, but no one should be disappointed by the score.

Squeak

sarcoa said:
Oh, and the music is exceptional. People may argue with the changes or unnecessary additions to the gameplay, but no one should be disappointed by the score.
Weird then, that the trailers contain nothing but bland, bland remixes and lazy original music...

is there any place I could buy a gamecube controller cable extender or somethingl ike that? I want to use my gamecube controller, but the cable is way too short.

sarcoa

Squeak said:
Weird then, that the trailers contain nothing but bland, bland remixes and lazy original music...
Portions of the original music bookend the levels and cutscenes, but thus far the worlds, bosses, hub world, and even the weird a-life area all have new tunes.

D-X

DO WANT. Euro release can't come fast enough for me. I'm having trouble not watching any of the videos.

Teddman

gwiz210 said:
I asked this a few pages back, but does anyone know if there are Christmas NiGHTS unlockables if the weather channel date/internal clock dates are on 12/25?
Have to assume there isn't any of this since there hasn't been any news. Kind of a bummer as I'd have thought it'd be a given, especially with the game coming out near Xmas.

Nakasan

I'm as patriotic as they come. But sometimes, just sometimes, living in the UK f$%!in' bites. I've been on media blackout after the initial rush and will stay that way till its out over here.

I'm only actually posting this in the hope that everyone else not in euroland TRUELY appreciates the fact you dont have to wait another 3/4 months for a game we've all already been waiting 11 years for, while also knowing its sitting in someone else's vid game collection, not even being played. Man I'm on a downer.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nakasan said:
I'm as patriotic as they come. But sometimes, just sometimes, living in the UK f$%!in' bites. I've been on media blackout after the initial rush and will stay that way till its out over here.

I'm only actually posting this in the hope that everyone else not in euroland TRUELY appreciates the fact you dont have to wait another 3/4 months for a game we've all already been waiting 11 years for, while also knowing its sitting in someone else's vid game collection, not even being played. Man I'm on a downer.

I've always assumed that it was like what NA has to suffer from Japan, but double

Glorias

The game is coming in January to europe. Only one month away now. That's not too bad actually. It could have been much worse.

Top Bottom