• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams thread

I'm actually pretty glad to get these impressions. I've been trying to keep my expectations in the "more of the same, decent sequel that isn't close to the original" range, and in this last week they threatened to spill over, which may have affected my enjoyment of the game. Little bit of ice water helps to keep expectations where they need to be.

What's with all the negativity?

All I've heard is that this game lives up to the original, perhaps people wanted it to be better...

Or maybe it's nostalgia messing around again.

ivysaur12

Banned
It seemed for so long that this game actually was going to be pretty good.

I can't believe they screwed it up this poorly. How is that possible?

Innotech

Banned
I'll definitely post my impressions when I get the game, but remember how Deweys Adventure was panned by critics? I loved that game despite its faults. I expect NiGHTS2 to be similarly flawed yet somehow enjoyable. Cutscenes and voice work notwithstanding. Mainly I guess I want the game because its NiGHTS2. Its another visit to the dream worlds and that lovely music. But what Ive seen in Videos looked interesting enough to sell the game, even if it isnt the same score attack style. I know thats a dealbreaker for many of you but seriously, didnt we all KNOW it wasnt going to be the same sort of gameplay? As much as I enjoyed the first game, and got some replay out of the scoring, a lot of people felt the game was way too short. A game exactly like the first would bomb harder than Zack and Wiki :)() so perhaps this might help it to sell. Im sorry for all of you who arent enjoying it though. I guess expectations for a game like this are just way too high to ever be satisfied.
Ah well.

Thanks for the impressions guys, I will now just rent it, no need to buy this shameful attempt at Nights. Its the ranking system that really does it for me, how fast you finish the lap, what kind of crap is that.

Chao

segafans.jpg

All over again

Innotech

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Fuxxor.

Well, I think it will sell in the Us. but after seeing the lines in Japan to play the demos, I wonder what happened. Unless those were the ONLY people in Japan waiting to play it.
I think it came out in a very competitive time and really needed its own week to itself. Why third party dont distance their releases from Nintendo is beyond me. the holiday period isnt ALWAYS the best choice. In fact, unless your game is huge, its one of the worst choices for a release.

solid2snake said:
i didn't follow the thread,
is Nights 2 crap? will Yuji Naka cuts his balls of?
Well, only a few have played it so far, but the consensus is that it's fun but quite flawed at best, and an abomination on the face of SEGA Earth at worst.

Yuji Naka never had any balls to begin with.

Innotech

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, only a few have played it so far, but the consensus is that it's fun but quite flawed at best, and an abomination on the face of SEGA Earth at worst.

Yuji Naka never had any balls to begin with.
Im keeping the faith until I play it myself. Some people said Zelda OOT was crap.
Now I KNOW this isnt Zelda OOT quality :lol but it still looks like fun. But perhaps a different sort of fun than NiGHTS1. But that particular ship sailed 11 years ago,. Im willing to play a new take on the classic. The level designs look fantastic for one hting, and the art style is pure NiGHTS.

But strangely enough, the crazy NiGHTS fans on NID.com seem to love the concept and what theyve seen/played. So I guess Iizuka DID manage to keep some fans happy.

Innotech said:
It flopped like the Saints.
ouch, :lol, if minny loses monday, you do know what that means right? :D Playoff times baby.

ari said:
hey topsy or innotech, i Just want to know if you guys still post in those nfl threads? My buddy nategc have been banned from the off topic forum and maestroryan owes him a bet for 200 dollars.

here is the link.

its a bet about greenbay winning more games then the vikings?

Oh damn i forgot all about that bet, that sucks for maestro.... :lol i give him a heads up.

Innotech

Banned
ari said:
damn this really is one of my anticipated games, is it shit?

hey topsy or innotech, i Just want to know if you guys still post in those nfl threads? My buddy nategc have been banned from the off topic forum and maestroryan owes him a bet for 200 dollars.

here is the link.

its a bet about greenbay winning more games then the vikings?
yeah I still post in there.
I will on Sunday most likely. Mostl ikely laughing at the Saints letting someone walk into the endzone or something.

But back to NiGHTS JOD and its awesomeness/simultaneous suck.

CrisKre

Im going to get this. I REALLY want to like it. the only thing i ask of the title is that it feels like nights control wise. the rest i can deal with, and frankly im optimistic due to the 9.00 score NP gave it. Though this is the last chance im giving sega. Hope they dont disappoint.

topsyturvy said:
the scores isn't so bad, why did it flopped? poor marketing?
The Wii "game" market is pretty soft in Japan at the moment. A couple of other decent games came out and simul-flopped with it, with Chocobo stealing the most thunder but still not doing too great. I have no idea what the marketing was like, maybe a J-GAFer can fill us in, but we also can't discount that game just isn't appealing to a lot of people. Particularly given Dcharlie reporting used copies in Akiba on day one.

Whatever the reason, those numbers are sadder than a three-legged puppy with cancer who dies. SEGA only shipped 70k though so even they had to know things weren't going to be too good.

sphinx

the piano man
ever since I got into gaming sites and forums, I feel like my life as a gamer ( the guy that plays games, not the guy that knows about games) is miserable :( .

when I bought my gamecube in 2004 after 10 years of not owning a single console, I just devoted myself to go to stores, do a little little research on magazines about what a game was about then proceed to buy it if I felt like it.

years thereafter, to my surprise, I read on the gaming sites that all I did was buy games that got 5.0's and 6.0's and that forum posters thought were absolute pieces of shit. I really liked many, many of them...

now I don't buy a game if the quality of a game is questioned by 3 or 4 people, reviewers or normal people alike... I miss the old days when I would take chances with games, just wanted to say that.

( not entirely off topic, by the way)

Sciz

I can live with atrocious fluff as long as I can beat the game once and then never have to deal with it again every time I want to go flying.

MAZYORA

I don't think Mario galaxy is that great of a game in terms of graphics and game play, but I doubt my opinion would stop anyone from playing it. Why doesn't everyone wait and play it themselves rather than base how good nights is just because a couple of negative opinions. I'm sure it'll be great if you're a nights fan.

Duderz

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
What if from here on out it's all good impressions?

Still a rental. I've got plenty of other games I need to finish. I just want this one to be good, and so far it seems they've got the core down okay, but a lot of other fluff that really doesn't need to be there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So it'll be who knows how long until another Nights comes along...if it even comes along with these sales

HK-47 said:
So it'll be who knows how long until another Nights comes along...if it even comes along with these sales
Well, it is just one territory, and Sonic does almost as badly there. Whether or not NiGHTS is ever touched again is going to rely heavily on NA and EU sales.

For the longest time I wished for a new NiGHTS game. I can't count the number of times I listened to the original soundtrack and xmas remix CD. But now that it's here I just can't get excited.

No6

Segata Sanshiro said:
What if from here on out it's all good impressions?
I'd say that depends on who it comes from. There are certain people in this thread who, frankly, have some of the lowest standards for games that I've ever seen, and keep pretending that review scores from a decade ago have any bearing on review scores today.

Either way, at this point the Nights question is no longer "is it worth $50" (no), but rather "is it worth my time to play when it hits $20" (not looking good).

No6 said:
I'd say that depends on who it comes from. There are certain people in this thread who, frankly, have some of the lowest standards for games that I've ever seen, and keep pretending that review scores from a decade ago have any bearing on review scores today.

Either way, at this point the Nights question is no longer "is it worth $50" (no), but rather "is it worth my time to play when it hits $20" (not looking good).
Bringing up old review scores mainly serves to illustrate what should be an obvious point that is sadly lost entirely too often on GAF, which is that review scores aren't the sole barometer by which a game should be judged.

As I'm certainly one of the gents you're pointing a finger at, I'll defend myself by saying that I'm glad I have lower standards than you apparently do. It allows me to enjoy more stuff instead of being pigeon-holed into what the consensus agrees should be liked. If I have a choice between enjoying more stuff and not enjoying more stuff, well... I'd rather not live life hoping for someone to piss in my cheerios to have my worldview affirmed.

No6 said:
All of the orginal Nights time? I thought the Shadow team had elements of the Nights team.
They're missing a few key staff members, to be sure. Yuji Naka is gone. Naoto Ohshima is gone (that's a biggie as far as I'm concerned). But they are the same team, just with eleven years worth of staff rollover.

MAZYORA

Segata Sanshiro said:
They're missing a few key staff members, to be sure. Yuji Naka is gone. Naoto Ohshima is gone (that's a biggie as far as I'm concerned). But they are the same team, just with eleven years worth of staff rollover.

Blinx says otherwise.

No6

Segata Sanshiro said:
Bringing up old review scores mainly serves to illustrate what should be an obvious point that is sadly lost entirely too often on GAF, which is that review scores aren't the sole barometer by which a game should be judged.
True, but at the same time it ignores the fact that the review industry has matured significantly from a decade ago. Saying "EGM gave the original all 8s so mid 7's is pretty good!" ignores the fact that EGM and most other review outlets now have a much broader scope of gaming history to draw upon when determining quality.

As I'm certainly one of the gents you're pointing a finger at,
Nope. Although I do think you're going to be too charitable to the game, I think you'll remain mostly rational about it. There's nothing wrong with ignoring the consensus; I have games that I enjoy despite critical crapping. However, there aren't too many of those games, because most of the time the consensus is correct. And I certainly wouldn't recommend those games to others at full price, because (especially right now) there are many, many other "consensus-approved" excellent/good games available provided you don't limit yourself to your chosen hero-company.

Maybe the PAL wait isn't so bad after all :(. I'll wait for some more impressions (I'm looking at you Segata) and if these aren't favourable as well I'll give it a rent before I buy it.

The really sad thing is that without positive word of mouth, chances of Nights making decent numbers in Japan after those underwhelming first day numbers is zero.

Nights deserves better :(.

No6

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, which is why it's disingenuous to say that it's the exact same team. 11 years is a long, long time in any industry, let alone the game industry which traditionally has much higher churn. And even if it was the exact same team, with the exact same people, that's still no indication of quality; Mizuguchi has lots of hits and misses.

But Neversoft is truly a great example of the ravages of time on a developer.

Top Bottom