• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Parasite Eve 3 is for Cell Phones WHAT THE ***ING **** SQUARE!? Thread

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
drohne said:
dq9 isn't an exact parallel -- as omg rite points out, non-japanese will have the option of playing that one -- but in terms of a significant game appearing on a totally inappropriate platform, this is the dq9 announcement unclouded by platform loyalties. unless of course there are docomo apologists who'll stop in momentarily to tell us that we aren't REAL FANS if we object
You said it yourself: everyone's really bitching because they are non-Japanese and won't be able to play it.

I couldn't give a crap about DQIX on DS vs. PS3. That was a trivial difference.

But somehow I do give a crap about being able to play it as opposed to not being able to..... ;)

Borys said:
I feel you guys :(

That's what I felt when I heard about Deus Ex 2, Thief 3 and Fallout 3 going to them Xboxes.

Sadness, anger, hopelessness.

That's just you being a silly PC fanboy, though. Hardly the same. :)

BocoDragon

brandonh83 said:
Back when it was first revealed that Square was merging with Enix, I just thought hey, same creative minds, more horsepower! Little did I know that their brains would be replaced with cheddar cheese and beef jerky. Okay I could have probably thought of something more clever than that, but I'm just pissed. :lol
it's all true.... :(

Avalon

RevenantKioku said:
The more I think about it, you guys should really count your blessings since the DS is as popular as it is. Otherwise, we'd have a lot more announcements like this, I'd wager.

Would portable games really be this popular if it weren't for the DS?

Beef

Avalon said:

My thoughts exactly. If there was never a DS to begin with, maybe people would still be playing games on their TVs.

Oh well, not much we can do.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Pureauthor said:
I don't know anything about how they're actually handling PE3's development, so I can't comment on the 'appropriateness' of the system.

this is the point at which it would be less embarrassing to admit that all your opinions are actuated by your nintendo fandom

BocoDragon said:
it's all true.... :(

Yep, lame joke and all. I'll get over it. The past couple of years has been home to some of the most insane, illogical, and baffling moves in the videogame industry. This doesn't help to break the repetition.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Avalon said:
A fair question to ask, and I don't know. But there are tons of cellphones out there.
Beef said:
My thoughts exactly. If there was never a DS to begin with, maybe people would still be playing games on their TVs.

Oh well, not much we can do.
I don't think they dying popularity of console gaming and the DS's popularity have much to do with each other. Besides the fact that portable gaming fills in gaps console gaming never can.

BocoDragon

Beef said:
That's like saying if iPod didn't come along we'd still be listening to CDs.

Handheld gaming getting big was pretty much because of tech....

There's actually hard evidence that Nintendo brought DS out to block PSP..... so if DS didn't come out, PSP would be owning the land. The handheld renaissance was all quite inevitable.

drohne said:
this is the point at which it would be less embarrassing to admit that all your opinions are actuated by your nintendo fandom

Look, I know that PE1 and PE2 were atmospheric games that depended on the mood of the settings and all. In all likelihood, PE3 will follow the same pattern, or at least attempt to - and cellphones generally aren't viewed as good platforms for that sort of thing.

That said, if they choose to forsake an attempt at making a handphone do what it can't, then I wouldn't have qualms about how appropriate it is for PE3 to show up on handphones. (I would have qualms about not being to play the game, however!)

Of course, precedent denotes that most likely they'll go down a road that I won't like with PE3's development. So while pessimistic, I cannot comment as of now on how appropriate PE3 is for cellphones.

BocoDragon

brandonh83 said:
There's a cellphone market? oh gooooood god why
Because Japan is tiny and cell phone companies can actually get shit done and deliver cool features on a unified platform...

US cellphones..... ugh..

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
brandonh83 said:
There's a cellphone market? oh gooooood god why
Because people find cellphones convenient and enjoy playing games upon them.

Yann said:
Parasite Eve is mature, you can't put that on DS.
orly.jpg

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
you guys at least should be happy that we are getting a parasite eve 3, probably SE thought that the series wasn`t popular enough to be in a next gen console, so probably they are testing the waters to see if there is still a demand for the franchise, the only thing bothering me is the "3" in the title i wished they would have named something else so that the true sequel would be in a next gen console.

but still:

whatdog.gif

RevenantKioku

brandonh83 said:
Okay, sure. But for something like this? It's just... just...

AHHHHHHHHHHH REAL MONSTERS
It's just offending your senses because it's a game you'd thought in the past you'd like to play, but you can't. I understand the position of being upset, but the reactions in this thread are nothing short of silly.

Amir0x

Banned
guys they remade the GBA Chain of Memories game for PS2... maybe they'll remake this for 360 if you guys slay enough virgins.

Or alternatively, if you buy even more DS hardware, they will probably do a nice quick port and all your dreams will be answered in that hilarious fashion.

ethelred

Forget about the DS-hate for a minute or two. I'd rather have a game like this developed on just about any actual gaming machine over cell phones. The PSP would be a fantastic system for a Parasite Eve game, actually. So would the 360. But anything is better than this.

Amir0x said:
guys they remade the GBA Chain of Memories game for PS2... maybe they'll remake this for 360 if you guys slay enough virgins.

Or alternatively, if you buy even more DS hardware, they will probably do a nice quick port and all your dreams will be answered in that hilarious fashion.
So we should be expecting a PE3: Final Mix then? :lol

TBH, that scenario isn't that far fetched.

BocoDragon

Amir0x said:

Wow a Parasite Eve game ported to DS from a cellphone... That would be wonderful.... *claps*

RevenantKioku said:
It's just offending your senses because it's a game you'd thought in the past you'd like to play, but you can't. I understand the position of being upset, but the reactions in this thread are nothing short of silly.

It's offending my senses because it's the dumbest thing of all time. There's no other way to spin it. And wrong, it's not just a game that in the past I thought I'd like to play, it's a game that I've been pretty much crossing my fingers for every game show for the past 7 years to unveil.

And no, the reactions are not silly. When Parasite Eve 1 first came out it was known as a "cinematic RPG." One of the biggest draws was the presentation. And now they're putting the third game, that many people have been aching to see on next-gen consoles, on ****ing cell phones. No, the reactions are anything but silly, my good sir.

RevenantKioku

BocoDragon said:
Wow a Parasite Eve game ported to DS from a cellphone... That would be wonderful.... *claps*
Hey, we have PSP ports of Wonderswan games and they're alright. I think cellphones of today can trump the good ol' WSC.
brandonh83 said:
It's offending my senses because it's the dumbest thing of all time. There's no other way to spin it. And wrong, it's not just a game that in the past I thought I'd like to play, it's a game that I've been pretty much crossing my fingers for every game show for the past 7 years to unveil.

And no, the reactions are not silly. When Parasite Eve 1 first came out it was known as a "cinematic RPG." One of the biggest draws was the presentation. And now they're putting the third game, that many people have been aching to see on next-gen consoles, on ****ing cell phones. No, the reactions are anything but silly, my good sir.
Dude. Calm down.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:

I await the thread with "oh hey those graphics actually don't look so bad when they're on DS, now that I've re-evaluated it through months of careful consideration and analysis! In fact you could say I always thought it looked good!"

loosus

Banned
I know cellphones are foolishly popular among the Japanese for reasons that I will never understand, but does stuff like this really sell? I mean, at the end of the day, do companies make enough money to make it worth their time, even if they do come out ahead after all expenses are paid? Seems like a wasted opportunity cost, unless they really do sell well.

Amir0x

Banned
think about how much money it would cost to create even the most high budget of cell-phone games, loosus. Even targeting it at only one market, I can't imagine they'd lose very much at all if it sold nothing. At least not enough to impact a company as big as SquareEnix.

Ceb

loosus said:
I know cellphones are foolishly popular among the Japanese for reasons that I will never understand, but does stuff like this really sell? I mean, at the end of the day, do companies make enough money to make it worth their time, even if they do come out ahead after all expenses are paid? Seems like a wasted opportunity cost, unless they really do sell well.

At least now we know that the actual PE license can't be too costly. Or maybe that's why they had to make it a cell phone game? :lol

Brofist

brandonh83 said:

well to be fair just about the only portable device that more people own than a DS are cell phones, bigger userbase FTW right ;)

RevenantKioku

brandonh83 said:
Kind of hard at this point, but it's really not toward you. I'm just explaining why the reactions aren't "silly."
Actually, they really are. Go play a game or something.

BocoDragon

RevenantKioku said:
Hey, we have PSP ports of Wonderswan games and they're alright. I think cellphones of today can trump the good ol' WSC.

It does look nice, but they pretty much redrew all those sprites (twice?) on their way to the PSP.

I just think anything in this ballpark is not appropriate for Parasite Eve: The Cinematic RPG.....

Kittonwy

Banned
omg rite said:
closed07.jpg

So after what, 7 years, Square has finally announced Parasite Eve 3. Probably the second most "ignored Square franchise sequel" behind Chrono 3.

And it's for cell phones.

Me? I've been waiting for this more than Chrono 3. To me, this is like them announcing Chrono 3 for cell phones.

So, I ask the following:

WHAT THE **** SQUARE?

What are they doing? :[

So uh, we can use this thread to bitch and moan about it, instead of cluttering up the Party thread.

Don't suppose we could all try bitching to Square about this and maybe they'll have a heart and realize how badly people want this to be a console game, and change it? :[

I'm so sorry but that poster pretty much speaks for itself...
Indifferent2.gif

Seriously though, Japan is all about cell phones right? They're pretty much just going for the biggest market out there, it probably wouldn't cost them too much to develop something for cell phones.

BocoDragon

Amir0x said:
I await the thread with "oh hey those graphics actually don't look so bad when they're on DS, now that I've re-evaluated it through months of careful consideration and analysis! In fact you could say I always thought it looked good!"
:lol

the weird logic of GAF.

RevenantKioku

BocoDragon said:
It does look nice, but they pretty much redrew all those sprites (twice?) on their way to the PSP.

I just think anything in this ballpark is not appropriate for Parasite Eve: The Cinematic RPG.....
Honestly, the PSP one looks pretty much like fuzzy blown up GBA game to me, but it does have VA, and I think that turns some of you on or something.
brandonh83 said:
All I have is older systems, a Wii, and a PS3. All the good games are on cell phones and I don't own one.
:lol

Top Bottom