• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Parasite Eve 3 is for Cell Phones WHAT THE ***ING **** SQUARE!? Thread

Threi

notag
Thread said:
The Official Parasite Eve 3
tubeman.gif

Thread said:
is for Cell Phones
247326871.gif

Kyuuen

well, hopefully it'll do well enough to warrant a game on console.

I don't know, many its just the first step to bring back the series to life?

baby-steps~?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Square has made a number of cell phone games, not just that FFVII turks game. There was a Code Age Commanders game and a FFVII Dirge Of Cerebushit game came out last year. I have no interest in trying them (can't anyway, since I use Softbank and those games are always on Docomo), but they always look like shit in screenshots. These aren't old-school 2D sprite-based games, they're 3D and look awful. I don't think anyone will be missing anything from not playing "Parasite Eve 3."

Game companies here release big-name titles for cell phones all the time. I see there's a version of Devil May Cry 3 out now (or coming out). But everytime I try out one of these titles, they play like garbage and move at around 4fps.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Lyte Edge said:
Square has made a number of cell phone games, not just that FFVII turks game. There was a Code Age Commanders game and a FFVII Dirge Of Cerebushit game came out last year. I have no interest in trying them (can't anyway, since I use Softbank and those games are always on Docomo), but they always look like shit in screenshots. These aren't old-school 2D sprite-based games, they're 3D and look awful. I don't think anyone will be missing anything from not playing "Parasite Eve 3."

Game companies here release big-name titles for cell phones all the time. I see there's a version of Devil May Cry 3 out now (or coming out). But everytime I try out one of these titles, they play like garbage and move at around 4fps.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Bethesda just wanted to use the Oblivion brand image to grab some quick cash off of the suckers (like me) who bought it. It's practically unplayable.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
N-Gage is establishing a platform for premium cellphone games in the US and Europe, Square-Enix will supposedly be supporting it, and Nokia smartphones share the same processors as a lot of FOMAs, so Parasite Eve 3 could likely come to the platform if Square-Enix gives the game an international release.

FOMAs have had competitive graphics performance and better battery efficiency compared to the PSP since around the time the PSP first came out, but the Java based APIs and network content size restrictions that standardize cellphone games keep their graphics down near a PlayStation1 quality instead of near a Dreamcast level of which their hardware is capable.

Not to reopen the gaping wound that was the Parasite Eve 3 cellphone game reveal but I ran into something today that confused the hell out of me. Figured someone here at GAF would have the answer.

There's this new Jodie Foster movie coming out called The Brave One. Saw the poster at a theater today.

thebraveone_200707051607.jpg

Am I insane or is that blatantly Aya Brea? Blatant to the point of actually being copied from a Nomura image?

ethelred

seaandthebells said:
Not to reopen the gaping wound that was the Parasite Eve 3 cellphone game reveal but I ran into something today that confused the hell out of me. Figured someone here at GAF would have the answer.

There's this new Jodie Foster movie coming out called The Brave One. Saw the poster at a theater today.

thebraveone_200707051607.jpg

Am I insane or is that blatantly Aya Brea? Blatant to the point of actually being copied from a Nomura image?

Tetsuya Nomura created Jodie Foster? Who knew.

seaandthebells said:
She's not wearing nearly enough belts to have been created by Nomura.

Nomura did the designs for Aya and the entire cast of characters for PE, and not a single one of them looked like anything out of a Final Fantasy. They were very normal looking.

seaandthebells said:
I don't know about it being that close, but I think I see where you're coming from.
20070806ayafoster.jpg

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't know about it being that close, but I think I see where you're coming from.
20070806ayafoster.jpg

Yeah, think you're right on the money there. I guess the only thing to do now is to go see this movie, listen to the PE1 soundtrack, and pretend it's a Parasite Eve movie.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
This thread is amusing.

As was alluded to months ago, I hope no person complaining in this thread owns a DS or a PSP.

ethelred

dog$ said:
This thread is amusing.

As was alluded to months ago, I hope no person complaining in this thread owns a DS or a PSP.

I'm pretty sure the DS and the PSP haven't somehow suddenly become cell phones.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I know this is old but this decision by S-E still pisses me off like it did when they first announced it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know why you people hate cell phone gaming, I love it very much and do it all the never.

JDSN said:
Thanks for opening the wound.

Many apologies. Who knows though, maybe it will be something special or at the very least ported to the DS or PSP so those of us with archaic cellphones can still get in on the goodness.

As for the rumor that a full console sequel is in the works, what does everyone think that should be like? Should they go back to a more strategic, action rpg set up a la PE1 or go the more traditional survival horror route like they did with 2?

I think a straight up action based survival horror Parasite Eve with an RE4/Gears over the shoulder perspective would be pretty fantastic (as long as they don't let the Dirge of Cerberus team make it).

If a new console Parasite Eve is indeed in the cards, I have very little faith that we'll see it before 2010. It's probably more of a backburner project in light of getting bigger titles like FFXIII and Versus XIII out the door first.

Diablos

omg rite said:
Me? I've been waiting for this more than Chrono 3. To me, this is like them announcing Chrono 3 for cell phones.
That sucks, man. :(

I've gotta say, this is pathetic. Seeing as how I never completed the first Parasite Eve, I guess this doesn't bother me too too much. However -- I always felt that PE was a game that would be better played on a console that had much better technology than PSX. Only then could its potential as a "cinematic RPG" be fully realized.

They really dropped the ball with this franchise... honestly, why even bring back your "cinematic RPG" if you're going to put it on mobile phones? Truly, Parasite Eve 3 is ideal for 360 and/or PS3. This is just dumb.

I'm really starting to get worried about Square this gen, guys. :\

Diablos said:
That sucks, man. :(

I've gotta say, this is pathetic. Seeing as how I never completed the first Parasite Eve, I guess this doesn't bother me too too much. However -- I always felt that PE was a game that would be better played on a console that had much better technology than PSX. Only then could its potential as a "cinematic RPG" be fully realized.

They really dropped the ball with this franchise... honestly, why even bring back your "cinematic RPG" if you're going to put it on mobile phones? Truly, Parasite Eve 3 is ideal for 360 and/or PS3. This is just dumb.

I'm really starting to get worried about Square this gen, guys. :\

Aside from a few "mavericks", ambition in the Japanese games industry is a thing of the past.

Diablos

Red Blaster said:
Aside from a few "mavericks", ambition in the Japanese games industry is a thing of the past.
Would Odin Sphere be one of those mavericks? I'm playing that right now, it seems pretty cool.

Jeanne D'Arc is amazing from what I have played, truly GOTY material. Wild Arms XF looks promising.

I think the ambition is still there for RPG's and similar games (at least, I hope so), but their leader (Square) is completely lost.

Top Bottom