• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

test_account

XP-39C²
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Its actually the Honda Motors thing.

From GamesRadar:

Its becuase of the name Piston, if he was called Kabuki or whatever other name they wouldnt have change the surname. But Piston directly refers to cars.

That was the joke in the original BTW.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :)

TheCardPlayer said:
Ha. It's more epic than anything in Punch-Out!
I guess it can be discussed which tune that is more Epic (at least as in memorable), but i think that both the Punch-Out!! and Super Punch-Out!! tunes are great at least! :)

TheCardPlayer said:
Wrong only to...wrong...people.

Ahem.

I havent seen anywhere prise to Super Punch-Out!! soundtrack. Maybe you are the only one that is right in this world after all.

But I read in another thread one person prising F-Zero GX soundtrack, so maybe you two are the only right in this world.

OH NOES, we are all thinking wrong!

Masked Man

I said wow
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Sorry for the double post but here are some videos that people will love *looking to Masked Man*
Piston Hondo and Great Tiger
Great videos, Piston Hondo is incredible. Sushi in his head! :lol

:O :O :O :O :O

SO. AMAZING. I don't care that much about the name change. (At least it's still a legitimate Japanese name.)

Penguin

Saw on some site that NWS is having a launch event for this on the 16th.
Curious if anyone here is going?
Want to check out the tourney, and you know get it early. :lol

Captain N

Penguin said:

I thought it wasn't actually going to be at the NWS. I want to go, but the game would cost me an extra $60 dollars thanks to the train ticket there and back.

Penguin said:

If you finally go, can you post some opinions of the event and the game?

Capndrake

Piston Hondo profile's on the official site, he's definitely not the mystery character from before. I guess it's Mr. Dream then :\

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Marvie_3 said:
Normally, I agree with you on pretty much everything. :lol In this case, I think you're dead wrong.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Et tu, Marvie? Damn you! DAMN YOU!

Punch-Out! > Super Punch-Out!
Super Punch-Out! music > Punch-Out! music

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Penguin said:

I put down $5 on a preorder at GS the other day, hours before I learned of the NWS event. I'll probably cancel the preorder and go to NWS for the early score.

Piston Hondo's profile video is :lol
I love that they use the japanese walls in his side of the ring :lol

And that means that its not King Hippo>Bear Hugger>Don Flamenco>Hondo>Tiger as it was first thought.

I think they are going for:

Hondo>Tiger>Bear Hugger>Flamenco>Major Circuit Champion: Bald Bull

Staccat0 said:
Any news on Soda Popinsky (Vodka Drunkinsky)? I hope hes still purple.
No images still. All we now is that he is in the game, and that he belches (ESRB info).

The most advanced character we have seen ater Don Flamenco is Bald Bull, and only a little face portrait.
Im hoping Super Macho Man and Mr Sandman are well characterized. And I hope Mr Sandman frights the shit out of me.

ntropy said:
Punch-Out sounds better by a mile, particularly in terms of timbre.
I dont like how SPO music sounds, it even seems with this that NES sound chip is better than SuperNES, and clearly thats not the case. I really dont understand the prise of its music.

HUELEN10

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I would put Glass Joe and King Hippo with an spoiler caution, becuase that videos are major spoilers.
How so? Isn't that just the regular levels and music?

HUELEN10 said:
How so? Isn't that just the regular levels and music?

Nope
Both of them are from the final mode.
There is different story, different music and different character design for every chaarcter in the final mode.
Theres people that dont want to be spoiled, even if its not very important.

Ive only seen the glass joe one, im not going to see the king hippo. The things that show are those things one whn you are playing you say "Wow, didnt thought the would do that :lol !", they are not mega story spoilers of for example mgs4, but thay are fun two watch when you play, and not in some videos. Like a little surprise.

Masked Man

I said wow
Kilrogg said:
「拙者、ホンドと申す。」

Ace! :D

Ahh, &#25305;&#32773;! A new word for me. :lol I need to watch more films / anime or something. &#25945;&#12360;&#12390;&#12367;&#12428;&#12390;&#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;&#12358;! Piston Hondo speaking Japanese = <333

I hope Don Flamenco speaks spanish from spain and not mexican. Seeing the work that Next level is doing i dont thing they are going to do it wrong.
Hope this dosnt do another Resident Evil 4.:lol

Another question I have is what they are going to do with Bald Bull. Speak in english, as he trained with Doc and its part of the story, or speak turkish?

Camwi

Don Flamenco is such a douche. I like how after you beat on him for a while, his hairline starts to recede in between rounds. :D

Masked Man

I said wow
EmCeeGramr said:
IGN has a bunch of videos:
smh at them calling Von Kaiser "Russian" :lol

Wow... Just wow. As if the name weren't enough, they played Wagner as Von Kaiser entered the ring in the NES game. :lol

Who renamed those videos had to be stupid :lol

OMG the boxing remix theme from Von Kaiser!!!!
I love it!
Not only is the boxing theme in german mode, also when he falls down :O
So much detail.

OH SHIT! Hes says "Im the German Steel Machine! My name is Von Kaiser!" in german! :O
Some people at Next Level games have seen a lot the Punch-Out!! movie trailer from team awesome.

Camwi said:
Don Flamenco is such a douche. I like how after you beat on him for a while, his hairline starts to recede in between rounds. :D

Whera are Don Flamenco videos? Havent seen them on the IGN page.

pakkit

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
OH SHIT! Hes says "Im the German Steel Machine! My name is Von Kaiser!" in german! :O
Some people at Next Level games have seen a lot the Punch-Out!! movie trailer from team awesome.
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I love the character art in this. I hope Nintendo releases the character art in high-res sometime. I tried searching the net but I could only find, Mac, Hippo, Joe, and Von Kaiser...

Joei said:
So how did Glass Joe get his KO?

Nobody knows. The story says that the one he beat was so ashamed of himself he dissapeared from earth surface. For the contrary we know that Gabby Jays KO was from winning his trainer, Glass Joe... and was beat of fatigue.:lol

pakkit said:
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
They are now part of the punch-out!! pop culture. If only Von Kaiser would shout Zee Uppercut! Now that would be awesome.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Et tu, Marvie? Damn you! DAMN YOU!

Punch-Out! > Super Punch-Out!
Super Punch-Out! music > Punch-Out! music
I love both games but no. Just no.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ShockingAlberto said:
In Super Punch-Out, if you look at the times for Nick Bruiser, Glass Joe is on there.

Yeah, I dunno either.
Glass Joe beat Nick Bruiser :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JasonMCG said:
This needs to be expanded on. If that story line is in the Wii game in some way, I'll buy it on principle. :D

Yes, but a variety of NOA employees also beat him, if the high score tables are to be believed...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
About the character:

I don't mind him being included in the game, as long as Next Level does a good job of characterizing him. Given what we've seen with other characters, I think that's a safe bet :).

Besides, Aran Ryan always struck me as the first boxer who doesn't fuck around and isn't there to make a fool of himself against you (even though he's a piece of cake when you've figured out how to get rid of him).

Besides, he's one of the few SPO characters outside of those revealed that don't have outlandish moves like kicks or staff attacks. Who would have been the other realistic options, honestly? Bob Charlie, Narcis Prince, the Bruiser bros. --I don't know if they're in the game--? It's almost a given that Sandman and Super Macho Man are already in the game, so that leaves Mad Clown, Heike Kagerô and Masked Muscle. The three of them have defining moves that are against the rules of boxing. Even the Bruiser brothers use non-legit moves.

I'm pretty sure this means we won't be seeing
Soda Popinski
, because that guy being revealed that brings the confirmed roster to:

1. Glass Joe
2. Von Kaiser
3. Disco Kid
4. King Hippo

5. Bear Hugger
6. Don Flamenco
7. Great Tiger
8. Piston Hondo

And I'm assuming we'll be rounding out the World Circuit with with

Aran Ryan
Bald Bull
Mr. Sandman
Super Machoman

Final Battle:
Mr. Dream

9, 10, and 12 have been confirmed by either trailers, ads, or the ESRB, but I really can't see them leaving out 11 which leads me to believe that we won't be seeing
Soda Popinski
this time around which makes me very sad. Though I suppose we could move 12 to the 13th spot and add you know who into the World Circuit...

Top Bottom