• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I hate Paulie Malignaggi but man, mass respect for the man for this. I guess I can't hate him anymore. :lol :lol :lol

Haunted

Capndrake said:
Training with Doc Louis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgPFbasy_LQ

Don't make me have to come down there!
omg so good. :lol

And I just remembered that hilarious flash ad for Wario Shake It!, so these aren't the best Nintendo ads of this generation by far. Just by a bit.

Captain N said:
The trailer says there are new characters. Would the characters be Disco Kid &
Giga Mac?
spoiler that shit, man!

edit: only a couple thousand views? shit, that's not right. Someone get these to kotaku, desctructoid or the stiq or some other shit site with lots of followers.

Haunted

Aaron Strife said:
Giga Mac isn't a spoiler... It's the huge version of Mac that only appears in multiplayer.
Oh. But I thought the multiplayer character was called Little Pete?

Apparently I'm out of the loop. >_>

IAmtheFMan said:
Would've been better if they got Carl Weathers.
Well, everything is better with Carl Fucking Action Jackson Weathers, but you gotta admit that Whitlock's did a pretty swell job there.

Haunted said:
Oh. But I thought that guy was called Little Pete?

Apparently I'm out of the loop. >_>
The second player is Little Pete.

I think both Mac and Pete can become "Giga" so you'd have Giga Mac and Giga Pete.

Haunted

Aaron Strife said:
The second player is Little Pete.

I think both Mac and Pete can become "Giga" so you'd have Giga Mac and Giga Pete.
oooh

Well in that case it's fairly clear that this is not one of the new characters announced in that ad.

JPBrowncoat said:
I think you pick a Mii and whatever the name of the Mii is is the Little "Player" in Vs.
That's pretty cool.

Little Darth Vader
Little Hitler
Little Mr.T
Little MasterChief

Volcynika

Haunted said:
oooh

Well in that case it's fairly clear that this is not one of the new characters announced in that ad.

That's pretty cool.

Little Darth Vader
Little Hitler
Little Mr.T
Little MasterChief

Little Hitler was already done by Robot Chicken! (TV show on Adult Swim)
Or Lil' Hitler...I forget.

Haunted

Volcynika said:
Little Hitler was already done by Robot Chicken! (TV show on Adult Swim)
Or Lil' Hitler...I forget.
HEY! My Hitler Mii is called Lil' Hitler and I've never seen Robot Chicken (except that one Star Wars compilation on Youtube. It was pretty funny.).

Simply the greatest video game add that I have ever seen. Ok, my hype for this game has reached an all time high. GOSH THAT ADD!!! It's almost as great as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57qB6Kwroo

rockyworkout.jpg

Those ads are incredible.
Nintendo is treating this game as retro awesome. Long live punch-out!!

BTW It seems Soda Popinski is the one that was taken out of the game as was offensive.

The ESRB info say one boxer burp, but thakns to the website we have discovered that it was really Bear Hugger.

The question is, why did they take Soda Popinski for alcoholism references and they represent a canadian drinking alcohol.
I really dont undertand.

Or maybe saying 13 characters, they dont count the Dream Fight with
Doc Louis
and that means theres place for Soda Popinski.
Im praying for that.

EDIT: Wait a moment, he ad says at the end, 12 classic characters + new oneS
If the list goes by those numbers it would be something like this:

12 CLASSIC characters:
1- Glass Joe
2- Von Kaiser
3- King Hippo
4- Piston Hondo
5- Bear Hugger
6- Don Flamenco
7- Great Tiger
8- Bald Bull
9- Aran Ryan
10- Soda Popinski?
11- Mr Sandman?
12- Super Macho Man?

+ NEW oneS:
-Disco Kid
-
Doc Louis

OH SHIT! Maybe is possible we have Soda Popinski.:D

rareside said:
I can't help but be reminded of this ad Capcom showed to promote their latest entry in the Ghosts n Goblin series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQcWiTX9Vs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPQ9XuR-kg (Fan Dub?)

I think they were more influenced in Team Awesome Punch-Out!!'s movie trailer they did for the nintendo short cuts. Next level game even put one of Von Kaiser's quotes team awesome created in the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiBER4iVwCw

Although that Sir Arthur videos are also awesome, but I didnt like that the armour was done from cardboard.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Doc Louis
Im praying for that.
WTF, that fight is confirmed? HOLY SHIT? When and where. I demand a source.

koam

Are you guys seriously spoiler tagging the names of boxers from a game that's 20 years old? :lol

It's not like you're confirming that they're in this remake, you're just speculating.

JDSN

Banned
koam said:
Are you guys seriously spoiler tagging the names of boxers from a game that's 20 years old? :lol

It's not like you're confirming that they're in this remake, you're just speculating.
They are crazy LOST fans probably.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Capndrake said:
Actually, the ESRB also says
there's a character who burps
. Who could that be besides
Soda

King Hippo?

Bear Hugger?

If "burping" is the only lead we have, it may be a bit much to assume Popinski.

Wii Will Rock U said:
WTF, that fight is confirmed? HOLY SHIT? When and where. I demand a source.

Its not confirmed, only has been hint.

GameInfromer said they were great plans for him. ONM said the dream fight was a big surprise that they didn't want to spoil.

DavidDayton said:
King Hippo?

Bear Hugger?

If "burping" is the only lead we have, it may be a bit much to assume Popinski.

That and that all NES characters have returned.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SpacePirate Ridley said:
That and that all NES characters have returned.
They have?

"12 Classic Characters"

"Confirmed":
1. Glass Joe
2. Von Kaiser
3. Piston Honda/o
4. Don Flamenco
5. King Hippo
6. Great Tiger
7. Bear Hugger

Probable based on footage:
8. Aran Ryan

Remaining NES characters
9 Bald Bull
10 Soda Popinski
11 Mr. Sandman
12 Super Macho Man

Well, strictly speaking, Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, and Super Macho Man haven't been confirmed... but, then again, they are the legacy boss characters for the arcade, NES, and SNES versions. I can't see them being left out.

Yeah. Going by that logic, either Soda is in or he's the only NES character to be excluded.

DavidDayton said:
They have?

"12 Classic Characters"

"Confirmed":
1. Glass Joe
2. Von Kaiser
3. Piston Honda/o
4. Don Flamenco
5. King Hippo
6. Great Tiger
7. Bear Hugger

Probable based on footage:
8. Aran Ryan

Remaining NES characters
9 Bald Bull
10 Soda Popinski
11 Mr. Sandman
12 Super Macho Man

Well, strictly speaking, Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, and Super Macho Man haven't been confirmed... but, then again, they are the legacy boss characters for the arcade, NES, and SNES versions. I can't see them being left out.

Yeah. Going by that logic, either Soda is in or he's the only NES character to be excluded.

Bald Bull has also been confirmed, there an image in one of the ads for stores.
An Super Macho Man is semi. ESRB says theres a boxer that moves the pecs as a taunt. Yeah, we now that nearly all characters have pecs, but only Super Macho Man tanted you in the NES (and Super NES) moving them.

So its Mr Sandman and Soda the ones we havent have ANY kind of info about them.

And the Aran Ryan footage... Its him. He even has a clover in the boxing pants.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Based on what we know and my own assumptions, I think the roster will be:

minor circuit:
1. glass Joe
2. Von Kaiser
3. Disco Kid
4. King Hippo

Major Circuit:
I have no idea what the order is going to be, but I'd assume that it's something like:
1. Piston Honda
2. Bear Hugger
3. Don Flamenco
4. Great Tiger

World Circuit:
1. Aran Ryan
2. Bald Bull
3. Mr. Sandman
4. Super Macho Man

Dream Fight:
Doc Louis

They DID say there'd be character unlockables IIRC, so who knows, maybe there's a whole bunch of other fighters that you can play in exhibition mode or something.

OMG Don Flamenco is AWESOME.
And he speaks spanish from Spain. <3

Tomorrow we will now thanks to the web if Don Flamenco is the Major title circuit, or if its Bald Bull.

With the 12 classic characters news in the real life trailer and being Bald Bull the Major title holder, we will be one step more near to the confirmation of Soda Popinski being in the game (as they would never left the World Circuit only with only three boxers).

Captain N

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Those ads are incredible.
Nintendo is treating this game as retro awesome. Long live punch-out!!

BTW It seems Soda Popinski is the one that was taken out of the game as was offensive.

The ESRB info say one boxer burp, but thakns to the website we have discovered that it was really Bear Hugger.

The question is, why did they take Soda Popinski for alcoholism references and they represent a canadian drinking alcohol.
I really dont undertand.

Doc Louis
Im praying for that.

EDIT: Wait a moment, he ad says at the end, 12 classic characters + new oneS
If the list goes by those numbers it would be something like this:

12 CLASSIC characters:
1- Glass Joe
2- Von Kaiser
3- King Hippo
4- Piston Hondo
5- Bear Hugger
6- Don Flamenco
7- Great Tiger
8- Bald Bull
9- Aran Ryan
10- Soda Popinski?
11- Mr Sandman?
12- Super Macho Man?

+ NEW oneS:
-Disco Kid
-
Doc Louis

OH SHIT! Maybe is possible we have Soda Popinski.:D

How is he the new character? He was in the first Punch-Out

Captain N said:
How is he the new character? He was in the first Punch-Out

It clearly refers to rival boxers and he never was a boxer in the original, if they talked about characters they could also count Little Mac, and that clearly is not the case.
Hell, even we dont know for certain if his is the the dram fight. The only thing we know is that its not Mr Dream (and neither Tyson)

Captain N

going over there at that Nintendo site..they said ESPN had a preview for this game.

ESPN said:
And multi-player isn’t even the last new feature to be announced for the game as Nintendo promises another surprise to the title once it ships to stores May 18. What will it be? I guess we’ll just have to wait a few weeks to find out.

Captain N said:
going over there at that Nintendo site..they said ESPN had a preview for this game.

For their words it seems is the
Doc Louis when he was young
Dream fight info that all people that are reviewing the game are hinting. It makes sense.

The Don Flamenco videos are just awesome.
Being form Spain I love what the have done with his voice. They even have put words they only used in Spain, like when we eat up letters wehn talking fast, you canhear this when he says pillado (Catch) and he eat the letter d. "Me has pillao!" :lol

BTW, his voice reminds me of the spanish voice actor that did the voice for Sylvester the cat, from the Looney Tunes here in Spain.

The video also means that Don Flamenco is NOT the major title holder, what means that Bald Bull is the one to have it again, which makes the major circuit have 5 boxers.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
For their words it seems is the
Doc Louis when he was young
Dream fight info that all people that are reviewing the game are hinting. It makes sense.
Seriously, who is giving out these hints? I have looked all over!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
SpacePirate Ridley said:
The Don Flamenco videos are just awesome.
Being form Spain I love what the have done with his voice. They even have put words they only used in Spain, like when we eat up letters wehn talking fast, you canhear this when he says pillado (Catch) and he eat the letter d. "Me has pillao!" :lol

His "¡Fallé!" reminds me of the "¡Detrás de ti, imbécil" cries from RE4. It sounds totally hilarious when you actually know the language. :lol

Top Bottom