• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

Struct09

I grabbed a co-worker's copy to look at the back, and it's slightly different. There's translated text, and the small screenshots aren't the same (example being King Hippo instead of Giga Mac). Otherwise the art and layout is the same.

Captain N

Struct09 said:
I grabbed a co-worker's copy to look at the back, and it's slightly different. There's translated text, and the small screenshots aren't the same (example being King Hippo instead of Giga Mac). Otherwise the art and layout is the same.

You should probably just send me your co-worker's copy.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Game let me touch you. I want this NOW, please.

For the record, I checked out my Best Buy preorder slip, and it looks like they've changed it a bit. :( There is no Soda on it, just a picture of the box art. Sorry! :(

Marvie_3

Banned
bumpkin said:
*Kevin Spacey WRONG! gif*

He got beaten by Apollo in the first movie, beaten badly and lost the title to Clubber Lang in III, was beaten to the point of brain damage at the end of IV, and lost -- though he fought valiantly -- at the end of VI.

But... I agree he'd put up one hell of a fight! :D
He LET them win. :D

Captain N

Lambtron said:
Game let me touch you. I want this NOW, please.

For the record, I checked out my Best Buy preorder slip, and it looks like they've changed it a bit. :( There is no Soda on it, just a picture of the box art. Sorry! :(

I don't think I've been this excited about a game in...gosh..maybe 15 years.

Nintendo couldve made money off me from this game a number of times.

E-Reader!!

From the booklet (you're welcome):

2lsuqzm.jpg

Captain N said:
It even says on the back of the box 'defeated opponents are looking for a rematch!'!

I don't know if it's related, but when you beat a fighter, you can challenge him again in an exhibition match that has three specific criteria you can meet (kinda like achievements I guess), like for Glass Joe it's "Knock Glass Joe down three times and let him win by decision", "Find the one punch knowdown weak spot!" or "Win the fight withouth dodging, blocking or ducking a punch".

There are three criteria that are unique to each fighter.

Now off to play the damn game! :lol

OH SHIT!

Nintendo World is going to sell this:
2vd2ou1.jpg

Amazing how nintendo is marketing this game.

Even Smash bros brawl didnt had goodies and marketing like this (and the dojo doesn't count).

FoxHimself said:

I don't know if it's related, but when you beat a fighter, you can challenge him again in an exhibition match that has three specific criteria you can meet (kinda like achievements I guess), like for Glass Joe it's "Knock Glass Joe down three times and let him win by decision", "Find the one punch knowdown weak spot!" or "Win the fight withouth dodging, blocking or ducking a punch".

Amazing artwork again :O

Hope to get your opinio soon ;)

Captain N

FoxHimself said:

also...SPOILER....
if you lose 100 matches you unlock HEADGEAR for Little Mac to wear.

Masked Man

I said wow
SpacePirate Ridley said:
OH SHIT!

Nintendo World is going to sell this:
2vd2ou1.jpg

:O :O :O

DO WANT. I think I have to go to New York when this goes on sale. Or hopefully they'll be selling it in Japan by the time I arrive this fall.

RBH said:
Just a quick heads-up, Target is selling an exclusive Punch Out bundle with the game and a nunchuck for just $54, according to Wario64.

Is it a boxed bundle, or is the controller separate? I don't need an extra nun-chuck at the moment, but this is the obvious buy. If they aren't boxed together, I'll be returning the nun-chuck to Wal-Mart, get a gift card, and buy a points card with it. At least, it's a sound plan in theory.

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Is it a boxed bundle, or is the controller separate? I don't need an extra nun-chuck at the moment, but this is the obvious buy. If they aren't boxed together, I'll be returning the nun-chuck to Wal-Mart, get a gift card, and buy a points card with it. At least, it's a sound plan in theory.

Its bundle with the game:
dibujodrjliz.jpg

Sadist

Getting pumped for this title. It's been ages since I've played Punch-Out!!.

(Not counting the micro game in the first Warioware)

Downhome

No clue if this is old or not, but I just walked down to preorder at GameStop and they got in these big green boxing gloves to wear as you play the game. Sorta like the sports extension pieces out there or something. :lol

$19.99

EDIT:

Here they are.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Saturday. Saturday. Saturday. Saturday. Saturday. Saturday. Saturday. Saturday.

Can't fucking wait!

Diortem7

The official website has been updated with Don Flamenco's profile, and as expected, he is not the major circuit title holder.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Amazing how nintendo is marketing this game.
I know. Consider that this game probably has a bigger marketing budget than the following games:

Super Mario Galaxy
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros. Brawl

It's really amazing. Nintendo expects this to be big.

Aaron Strife said:
I know. Consider that this game probably has a bigger marketing budget than the following games:

Super Mario Galaxy
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros. Brawl

And really, shouldn't they? If ever there was a bridge game between casual and hardcore gamers, THIS is the game.

Casuals see it as an interesting way to use the wiimote and as a boxing game. Sports + Wii = PROFIT. Plus, free nunchuck will mke it sell a lot. They'll use the "punch" controls.

Hardcore, on the other hand, knows and respects the franchise and is dying to see their beloved old game revived. They'll use the "classic NES" controls".

Then there will be the people in the middle who played Punch-Out as a kid, saw one of the commercials or Jimmy Fallon and went "OMG, I had that game when I was six! I can play it on my Wii now?". They'll play with whichever control better suits them.

And yeah, I'm sure this game will become a million-seller.

And tomorrow Bald Bull, the major title holder, in full splendour.
We will know its voice, we will know his body :lol (dont think dirty, I mean we've seen only its face) and we will see his fearfull bull charge in 3d action.

As Von Kaiser once said: "Wait up for the bull charge, The bull charge, Mac!!"

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Aaron Strife said:

Super Mario Galaxy
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros. Brawl

Actually, it's most likely that they are simply marketing games they feel need marketing to succeed, while not marketing games (Galaxy, TP, Brawl, even Prime to an extent) that they feel will sell on their own just fine.

Expectations are low for punchout, but they're marketing aggresively because they feel it has significant untapped potential in terms of sales.

aparisi2274

Mejilan said:

Can't fucking wait!

Are you going to the NWS saturday for the Punch Out thing? I'll be there as well. Need to photograph it for a website.

Cant wait to get the game though...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
aparisi2274 said:
Are you going to the NWS saturday for the Punch Out thing? I'll be there as well. Need to photograph it for a website.

Cant wait to get the game though...

Hell yes I'll be there.

The game is excellent! The graphics are alright, the animations superb, the controls tight (you can even play with the old NES controls!) and the humor fantastic. Also, the voice acting is surprisingly good, with all the different boxers talking in their native language (Great Tiger talks in indian for example).

I'm half way through the second tier now, have just beaten Bear Hugger. I love the talking between the rounds!

Also, poor Doc :(

2rh1ir8.jpg

Struct09

The game is a blast to play, as expected. I've tried both of the main control schemes and I actually find myself preferring the waggle controls, they're implemented really well. It's easier to waggle to regain health than it is to mash on 1 and 2. I haven't tried the balance board with the game yet, it seems like it would only make it more difficult (which could be part of the fun).

The presentation is awesome. The graphics, sound, and menus are all top notch.

It's too bad they couldn't get Isiah Whitlock Jr (the guy who played Doc Louis in the commercial) to voice Doc in the game. Doc's voice acting is pretty bad and it sticks out :p Otherwise the voices are fine and the ethnic stereotypes are entertaining. The scene that got me the most so far was one where Glass Joe was holding onto a big baguette for no real reason.

Also, for those concerned it looks like the game will update your Wii to 4.0. Mine was at 3.4 and it had me update.

Wizman23

Banned
FoxHimself said:
I'm getting my ass handed to me by Soda Popinsky.

Also, Don Flamenco is indeed the title holder in the second tier.

I was stuck on him for weeks on the original punchout some 20 plus years ago:lol

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
FoxHimself said:
I'm getting my ass handed to me by Soda Popinsky.

Also, Don Flamenco is indeed the title holder in the second tier.
At least you can play. I popped my copy in and my wii ends up being dead.

Haha! Popinsky charges up his super attack by drinking from a soda bottle, but I knocked it out of his hand, earning a star and getting him super pissed. Then he kicked my ass again :(

Flaminco has a terrible HORRIBLE secret in this game :lol

I'm going to record a few minutes of gameplay for you all soon.

Captain N

FoxHimself said:
Haha! Popinsky charges up his super attack by drinking from a soda bottle, but I knocked it out of his hand, earning a star and getting him super pissed. Then he kicked my ass again :(

Flaminco has a terrible HORRIBLE secret in this game :lol

I'm going to record a few minutes of gameplay for you all soon.

Awesome! I can't wait for the footage!

Top Bottom