• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Centurion

Banned
I'm not surprised Maher defended Limbaugh (haven't seen the episode yet). You gotta remember Bill Maher was kicked off ABC and his politically incorrect show for similar drama involving comments he made about the terrorists and their motives during 9/11.

Not to mention Maher defending SOPA/PIPA solely because people pirated religulous...

If it wrongs Bill Maher in some fashion, he'll be against it. Bill Maher is nothing more than an opportunist, still occasionally enjoy his show though, I just don't care for his opinions all that much.

edit:
Whenever Maher has been personally touched by an issue, you're sure to find him on some weird side of it. Pressuring advertisers to pullout got his old show cancelled therefore pressuring advertisers is bad. Religulous was frequently torrented therefore SOPA is not bad.

welp, completely beat me to the punch, using the same two examples..... fuck me, time for some sleep.

rdrr gnr

I'm not surprised Maher defended Limbaugh (haven't seen the episode yet). You gotta remember Bill Maher was kicked off ABC and his politically incorrect show for similar drama involving comments he made about the terrorists and their motives during 9/11.

Not to mention Maher defending SOPA/PIPA solely because people pirated religulous...

If it wrongs Bill Maher in some fashion, he'll be against it. Bill Maher is nothing more than an opportunist, still occasionally enjoy his show though, I just don't care for his opinions all that much.
Which, for the most part, is a natural human tendency. I will concede Maher is subject to such shortcomings more than others in certain circumstances. However, you are wrong about his Limbaugh defense. I'm not sure how much you listen to talk-radio or read the autobiographies of comedians, but this issue is literally their well-being. And, Rush, being an entertainer (I don't want to get into that debate), is very different than if Martin Bashir called an interviewee or public figure a slut. You just can't draw those equivalencies; those subtle differences matter to them and to others. Sure, Maher feels personally involved, but I don't think that makes his position any less legitimate in this case.

Centurion

Banned
Which, for the most part, is a natural human tendency. I will concede Maher is subject to such shortcomings more than others in certain circumstances. However, you are wrong about his Limbaugh defense. I'm not sure how much you listen to talk-radio or read the autobiographies of comedians, but this issue is literally their well-being. And, Rush, being an entertainer (I don't want to get into that debate), is very different than if Martin Bashir called an interviewee or public figure a slut. You just can't draw those equivalencies; those subtle differences matter to them and to others. Sure, Maher feels personally involved, but I don't think that makes his position any less legitimate in this case.

I see where you're coming from, but comedians/entertainers (enterainers like Opie/Anthony, Howard Stern) shouldn't be held to the same standard as political commentators. One makes people laugh, and the other gives their views politically, affecting the decisions of daily followers/listeners. Where should the line be drawn? Could Limbaugh get away with calling whites a superior race? He might have the "right" to say that, but he shouldn't be surprised from the backlash from some of his viewers. You're responsible for what you say, if people get outraged enough to go out of their way to protest all your sponsors... you fucked up.

Israel springs to mind immediately.

Also being OVERLY pessimistic about the arab springs.

I don't find anything you are saying as intelligent -- quite possibly the opposite, in fact -- but I'll defend your right to say it.

An ad hominem attack, really? Look, the Bill Maher tweet that started off the whole Rush thing said this: "Hate to defend #RushLimbaugh but he apologized, liberals look bad not accepting. Also hate intimidation by sponsor pullout" which is about as big a misread of the situation as you could possibly make. After getting rightly criticized all week for the stupidity of his position, Maher then tried to act like he wasn't defending Rush on Real Time.

Once again, this is not a free speech issue, there is no one of any real importance calling for government involvement. Pressuring sponsors is a perfectly acceptable way to go after someone you disagree with. That it is happening to someone with the history of racist, sexist and homophobic remarks that Rush Limbaugh has is just icing on the cake.

rdrr gnr

Israel springs to mind immediately.
Well, it's not an indefensible position to be pro-Israel. I'm assuming he is still against the illegal settlements, right? There cannot be that much dissonance, even for Maher.

I see where you're coming from, but comedians/entertainers (enterainers like Opie/Anthony, Howard Stern) shouldn't be held to the same standard as political commentators. One makes people laugh, and the other gives their views politically, affecting the decisions of daily followers/listeners. Where should the line be drawn? Could Limbaugh get away with calling whites a superior race? He might have the "right" to say that, but he shouldn't be surprised from the backlash from some of his viewers. You're responsible for what you say, if people get outraged enough to go out of their way to protest all your sponsors... you fucked up.
That's the thing -- there should be no "line." These types of issues should -- without question -- be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. One has to consider the framing, context, and intent of a remark before considering appropriate responses. My general sentiment in regards to comedians like, say, the above mentioned Anthony Cumia, or Jim Norton, or Louis C.K., is that they should be allowed to say anything they want in a comedic bit. If they are on stage with a mic, or in-studio on a mic, they should be allowed free-reign. I don't care if they call women cunts or blacks less-than-human; if it's a joke, it should remain so. Of course one has a right be offended, but one must also concede the right of others to say such things. And, for the most part, they do make these remarks and they are able to make these jokes without severe repercussions. A case like Rush is unique. Rush is not a news man, he is not even a social commentator, he is an entertainer. His radioshow has always been a circlejerk for far-right nuts. You claim in your post that there was "backlash from some of his viewers," I'd argue that his viewership remains relatively intact and relatively indifferent to his remarks. It's the advertisers that are pulling out. Rush says these types of things on a daily basis, it's just that the media picked up on this isolated remark. From there, the slope gets mighty slippery. If I were, say, Anderson Cooper, I could pull up a clip from Opie and Anthony right now and isolate a joke or a remark and perpetuate that remark in the news media as irrevocably bigoted and racist. How many people would dismiss it as pure comedy? You would have white-knighters on the internet and the political correctness police in the media all over that show in minutes. And to say that those crucifying Rush aren't agenda-less is inane. I just don't understand how the appropriate response (to his remarks) is to want someone to lose their outlet and job, instead of flipping the station and moving on with your life. Fuck how "offended" people feel. As long as you aren't physically attacked or your life is not legitimately threatened, you can cry all you want about offense and sensitivity. I despise Rush, I don't agree with what he says or what Hannity says, or what Beck says, but I have zero desire to remove them from their positions, even if I feel somewhat "offended" by their positions.

That's the thing -- there should be no "line." These types of issues should -- without question -- be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. One has to consider the framing, context, and intent of a remark before considering appropriate responses. My general sentiment in regards to comedians like, say, the above mentioned Anthony Cumia, or Jim Norton, or Louis C.K., is that they should be allowed to say anything they want in a comedic bit. If they are on stage with a mic, or in-studio on a mic, they should be allowed free-reign. I don't care if they call women cunts or blacks less-than-human; if it's a joke, it should remain so. Of course one has a right be offended, but one must also concede the right of others to say such things. And, for the most part, they do make these remarks and they are able to make these jokes without severe repercussions. A case like Rush is unique. Rush is not a news man, he is not even a social commentator, he is an entertainer. His radioshow has always been a circlejerk for far-right nuts. You claim in your post that there was "backlash from some of his viewers," I'd argue that his viewership remains relatively intact and relatively indifferent to his remarks. It's the advertisers that are pulling out. Rush says these types of things on a daily basis, it's just that the media picked up on this isolated remark. From there, the slope gets might slippery. If I were, say, Anderson Cooper, I could pull up a clip from Opie and Anthony right now and isolate a joke or a remark and perpetuate that remark in the news media as irrevocably bigoted and racist. How many people would dismiss it as pure comedy? You would have white-knighters on the internet and the political correctness police in the media all over that show in minutes. And to say that those crucifying Rush aren't agenda-less is inane. I just don't understand how the appropriate response (to his remarks) is to want someone to lose their outlet and job, instead of flipping the station and moving on with your life. Fuck how "offended" people feel. As long as you aren't physically attacked or your life is not legitimately threatened, you can cry all you want about offense and sensitivity. I despise Rush, I don't agree with what he says or what Hannity says, or what Beck says, but I have zero desire to remove them from their positions, even if I feel somewhat "offended" by their positions.
Then maybe Rush should find a different business model that doesn't rely on PR-concerned companies associating themselves with him. I love Louis CK, but his material is obviously offensive to some and I wouldn't fault (for example) Wal-Mart for not wanting to advertise during his specials.

Then maybe Rush should find a different business model that doesn't rely on PR-concerned companies associating themselves with him. I love Louis CK, but his material is obviously offensive to some and I wouldn't fault (for example) Wal-Mart for not wanting to advertise during his specials.

Exactly. If you work in an advertiser supported medium you are always vulnerable to this kind of pressure. I'm not sure why so many people seem unable to grasp this fact.

I'm glad that this incident has a lot of companies reconsidering advertising on far right radio shows. That's awesome.

AAequal

Banned
They had good panel but episode just felt really short. Just dump the guest star, they rarely have anything to contribute. Bill was about to go anti religion rampage but andrew sullivan took his ammos away.

They had good panel but episode just felt really short. Just dump the guest star, they rarely have anything to contribute. Bill was about to go anti religion rampage but andrew sullivan took his ammos away.

Seriously, only thing Fred Armisen contributed was his impression of Bill.

Seriously, only thing Fred Armisen contributed was his impression of Bill.

Yeah, I find the fourth guest to usually be a drag. I hate Andrew Sullivan so I wasn't really a fan of this episode. I wish Greenwald had talked more.

I also really disliked Bill's end of show rant. Nothing like a rich straight white man telling people to control their outrage.

Shadow780

What a boring panel this week, the best thing is looking at Elise Jordan (nom nom), even the "Republican" guy didn't have anything interesting.

New Rule was killer though, extra mean.

Dabanton

I think Bill just likes to remind people who think Obama will walk it that complacency and assumption can seriously backfire.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What does Bill Maher mean that Obama and Romeney are "neck and neck"?

Obama's leading Romeney in the polls by more than 3 perecentage points and this is his low note.

While Dems shouldn't underestimate Romney, those aren't good numbers considering Obama's campaign hasn't really started. The ads they can put out with Romney contradicting himself are going to be brutal. The sexist stuff Republicans have done lately, Romney's healthcare, and a bunch of other stuff.

What does Bill Maher mean that Obama and Romeney are "neck and neck"?

Obama's leading Romeney in the polls by more than 3 perecentage points and this is his low note.

General nation-wide polls show it to be close . . . but yeah, those are meaningless since it is the individual states that matter. If Romney gets 95% of Utah, that doesn't help him except to win Utah.

But it is close enough such that external events could easily put Romney in the lead. And Romney will be in a clear lead at some point between now & November.

So it is fair to call it a close race. Obama has an edge but it is close.

Is it true what S.E. Cupp said about America practicing more austerity than Europe? I looked that (as well as comparison of budget cuts) up and couldn't find anything.

I'd wager it isn't true, since Sippy Cup is a fucking idiot. Between her and Charles "Bell Curve" Murray, I'm surprised that this episode wasn't that bad. Thank Zeus for Paul Begala.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Lots of truth in that episode coming from Bill and Begala.

Charles Murray and his constant pining for the 1950s America can go to hell. I also really wished Bill was a bit more to the point in shutting him down at the end by pointing out how much college and home prices have risen since the 1970s when Murray was trying to pull his 'blue collar workers are making the same share as before' thing. It was good that Bill brought up rent, but he seemed fixated on that.

Is it true what S.E. Cupp said about America practicing more austerity than Europe? I looked that (as well as comparison of budget cuts) up and couldn't find anything.
I didn't understand what the hell she was even saying with that point.

Puxador

Neo Member
Whenever Maher has been personally touched by an issue, you're sure to find him on some weird side of it. Pressuring advertisers to pullout got his old show cancelled therefore pressuring advertisers is bad. Religulous was frequently torrented therefore SOPA is not bad.

when did he say sopa is not bad?

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
There were some shots of S.E. Cupp when she would laugh and smile where she looked like a character created by Dr. Seuss.

I've gone down to see some taping of his shows. I saw one show shortly after he switched from Comedy Central to ABC. Before the show he had a little Q & A.

So I asked him: "Now that you've moved the show from comedy central to ABC . . .which is Disney . . . do you worry about what you can say on the show?"

He said: "No, I don't worry. We are on late at night. I don't think they care what we do as long as the ratings are OK."

A couple years later he was fired for what he said.
KuGsj.gif

No I got that, but the way she explained it was really convoluted I thought.

It was convoluted and not enough info was given but she got cut off because it was time for New Rules.

I think her point was that the total debt (both public and private) has gone up more in Europe. In the USA, we have increased government deficit but private debt has gone down a bit in the USA as people paid down loans, took out less loans, etc. The net effect is that we reduced money sloshing around whereas Europe increased it.

I think that is what her point was. I'm not sure how true it is though. I think the Fed monetized a lot of debt by buying up toxic assets.

I've gone down to see some taping of his shows. I saw one show shortly after he switched from Comedy Central to ABC. Before the show he had a little Q & A.

So I asked him: "Now that you've moved the show from comedy central to ABC . . .which is Disney . . . do you worry about what you can say on the show?"

He said: "No, I don't worry. We are on late at night. I don't think they care what we do as long as the ratings are OK."

A couple years later he was fired for what he said.
KuGsj.gif

I wish I could see one of his shows. Fun fact: The studio they record in is the exact same studio the use for "The Price is Right."

Anyway I find it funny he was fired for that. On Politically Incorrect it was one of the biggest controversy's of the month, on Real-Time it would have been Tuesday.

So yeah as you know the show has been renewed for another season.

Yeah Maher said that on the last episode but what struck me was this:

Article said:
The show is averaging 4.1 million viewers per episode in its current 10th season, a three-year high for the series.

4.1 million? I mean that's HUGE. That's more than the O'Reily factor. But they probably include reruns. Though they only replay the episode once or two more times tops during the week.

Maher has always been a bit behind on the internet thing. I've followed his career since his Politically Incorrect days and I remember him questioning the usefulness of computers in educational institutions as late as 2000's - smack dab at the height of the tech boom. I'm not really surprised that he's kind of ignorant on SOPA and probably most internet things in general.

What surprises me is that he has taken up a lot more pro-woman issues as he's gotten older. I remember him being a pretty harsh critic of feminism earlier in his career.

What surprises me is that he has taken up a lot more pro-woman issues as he's gotten older. I remember him being a pretty harsh critic of feminism earlier in his career.

Maher from his early Politically Correct days is like a completely different person. I sometimes wonder if he believes half of what he says, while the other half is just catering to his liberal viewership.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Maher's panel was great this episode going after the Giuliani flack for saying that Obama's the most radical, leftist president ever. But one thing I wish they caught was when she kept saying that the individual mandate was a creation of the left and that Nancy Pelosi (!) had to pull Obama into supporting that to get the HCR bill passed? Wtf?

I so want to kill that obnoxious woman. "Glass Stegal had NOTHING to do with the recession"?

Agreed. Even the Rather interview, and Scahill on the panel, couldn't save this episode. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse they brought out Joel Stein.

I think they need to make fewer episodes or something, because the show has been pretty weak for a while. It would give Bill some time to recharge his batteries, and the show hopefully wouldn't have to book so many awful guests.

Top Bottom