• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

sruckus

Ahem...the show is back :)

Thought the episode was bit boring, but glad it's back. I saw the thread freaking out about what he said regarding Ron Paul's foreign policy. I ask - so what? It's pretty clear Maher supports Ron's belief that we should GET OUT and concentrate on other things. Pretty simple, really.

rdrr gnr

Another episode in the dichotomous love-hate saga of Bill Maher and Real Time. He was infuriatingly wrong about SOPA/PIPA (the internet feeds of your bitter tears, Bill), while being brilliantly insightful about reality of voting for rich candidates at the end of New Rules (a la Steinbeck).

Impassioned panel, no doubt.

Another episode in the dichotomous love-hate saga of Bill Maher and Real Time. He was infuriatingly wrong about SOPA/PIPA (the internet feeds of your bitter tears, Bill), while being brilliantly insightful about reality of voting for rich candidates at the end of New Rules (a la Steinbeck).

He didn't even read the SOPA bill.

Great episode.

As for his comment on SOPA, well he admitted that he was ignorant on it from the start. I do admit that there has to be answer to piracy. Maybe to have punishment (that isn't insanely harsh) more common?

Also Buddy is awesome. Is there anything major I don't know about him for this episode? Hopefully he isn't a nutcase who severely tamed himself for this show.

Agreed.

Bernie Sanders and Bill Moyers made the show for me. Just fucking wonderful.

sdijoseph

Dear god, this women is extremely obnoxious.

"I'm a philosophy major"

"Cut the federal government in half, preferably tomorrow"

Holy shit at "I was a philosophy major!"

It explains so much.

Also I like the logic that the immigration statistic is bullshit. China's population is decreasing yet its so crowded! The population is not in a decline!

Fuck Dana Rohrabacher

So true. What an ignorant douchebag.

Kennedy is a god damn idiot. How crazy do you have to be to come on Real Time and call atheism a religion?

She is associated with Reason, so she's a lolbertian. Truly a vile, narcissistic 'look at me' person. I would have rather had any other guest in her seat, because at least someone else might have shut the fuck up occasionally.

Cake Boss

Banned
My god, I am 2 minutes into the discussion and I want to take a shit on my TV because of that women. Her dumb ass arguments, her stupid joke, her annoying ass voice. JUST STFU and let someone else fucking talk jesus christ.

You know, I don't find the show particularly bad, but Bill Maher offends me. He just does. When you make a movie specifically to skewer religion for simply being religion, that's when you've lost me.

Fusebox

Banned
You know, I don't find the show particularly bad, but Bill Maher offends me. He just does. When you make a movie specifically to skewer religion for simply being religion, that's when you've lost me.

I need to rewatch Religulous sometime soon, thanks for reminding me. Such an awesome doco, it cracks me up.

master15

One of the rare times Bill seemed pissed with his guests as they clearly couldn't have a debate or discussion or anything remotely resembling facts.

I love real-time although I can understand how some label Bill 'swarmy' from time to time.

rdrr gnr

Kennedy was quite possibly the most abrasive pseudo-intellectual ever on Maher's panel. Whether it be her incessantness or the hollowness of her remarks; it began to verge on the unbearable. Never again.

Would, however -- if that's in any form a vindication of her existence; too bad there is no equally redeeming quality about Rohrabacher.
Offends you? Well, how dare he offend the sensibilities of HP_Wuvcraft! Something tells me your disinterest is no real loss at all.

Zabka

iBFUnEv143jkK.gif

I just kept hoping Bashir or Batali would punch his lights out the entire time...jeez..."Facts? You believe in facts? LOLZ"

Kennedy is just another example, an incredibly incendiary one, that libertarian'ish guests generally just DON'T work on Maher's show these days---save for the few soft spoken ones. No other "group" of folks comes close to being a predictor of whether and episode goes down the drain after a few minutes in or not.

Even for a panel member where there's usually a bit of it, she also seemed to have sex on the brain.

I am late to the bashing bash but that was painful.

For people still having it on DVR. Watch the 1st 10 min and last 10 min.

I understand the urge to go with 'Politics sucks so I'm gonna slash and burn'. It is a hideous mess. And when you are sitting next to it in flesh and blood you are probably emboldened.

But that Libertarian cheat code doesn't work very often as a savior for specific issues.

That is when you can end up going full retard with 'sun spots are causing global warming'.

sruckus

I'm finishing the episode now (it's even better when drinking!) and I actually enjoyed it. And for some strange reason, while he infuriated me I actually sort of "liked" the repub. needs to speak more in facts, but was alright. Certainly an entertaining show IMO.

It's funny because Maher doesn't like that either.

I always scoff at people who bring up clips of Maher "hating on his audience". No shit he does! That audience is insufferable.

"LOL FAUX NEWS!"
"LOL Bush!"
"LOL Righest being Righty!"

"What a liberal just said something? WWWWWOOOOO!!!!! YEAHHHHHH!"

They're such tools, remember when they didn't chant "USA! USA!" With Nancy Pelosi because they didn't want to sound *gasp* patriotic?

Kennedy is just another example, an incredibly incendiary one, that libertarian'ish guests generally just DON'T work on Maher's show these days---save for the few soft spoken ones. No other "group" of folks comes close to being a predictor of whether and episode goes down the drain after a few minutes in or not.

Imagine if Maher had both Kennedy and Nick 'Fonzie of Freedom' Gillespie on the panel at the same time.

I'd probably throw a brick at my TV.

That was the worst episode I've seen so far of Real Time. It wasn't even Bill's fault unless you want to blame him for not stopping them from arguing. It was unwatchable. The gay republican at the start of the show was good though. More guests like that, less celebrity chefs.

The woman on the panel wasn't nearly as bad as the Republican from California.

I thought Rorbacher's bullshit about defense spending was actually a pretty useful segment, in the sense that when they finally wore the argument down (with facts) he had to concede it was Obama's Democratic rhetoric that bothered him, not the actual policies of "defense spending" (a massive jobs program fueled by crony capitalism). As the 'liberal' crowd cheered Obama's right wing policies and extra-judicial murders, it also helps expose the triangulated sham of our legacy parties.

So I decided to watch the January 27 episode after hearing you guys talk about how bad it is. Holy shit. Dana Rohrabacher and Kennedy. So stupid, and they would never allow anyone to correct them on anything because they would never. shut. the. fuck. up.

I enjoy this show aside from the clapping seal-like studio audience.

One of the biggest criticisms that could be leveled at so-called liberals is that they claim to be open minded yet they instinctively hate all things conservative. So it's open mindedness with an asterisk placed beside of it. I like Bill Maher, but he has said some unforgivable wacky shit in the past and his audience conveniently ignores it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
That new rules segment was so good especially with those two idiots on the panel. Kennedy?! Wtf? And that california rep was one hateful mofo.

I wasn't a fan of the panel though I enjoyed the interview with Mark Foley. I was initially surprised the week before that he was going to be interviewed and wondered how it would go. It's a shame he wasn't interviewed for longer.

As for the panel (after watching a week in Real Time), I think someone canceled mid-week and that's why Kennedy and/or Dana were both on.

Top Bottom