• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Today's New Rules was great. The first actually good one since the season started.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I am surprised there aren't any replies to tonight's episode already. Anyway, I can't say I am a fan of Bill Kristol but I do give him credit for at least going on the show. Is this his first time on there? I have to admit I did enjoy the heated debate with him and Bill.

New Rules was good as always and it made up for (what I thought was) lame bit at the 10:30 mark.
I agree, it was nice seeing the back and forth and passion, even if I think Kristol is an idiot. It's better then watching a liberal circle jerk, it's nice seeing Bill explode. I thought the guest was awful though and wasted a lot of air time.

They're off for next week and then Salman Rushdie I saw is one of the guests for the March 14th show. Oh and he is going to be at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ on June 22nd. Last time I saw him live, which was two years ago, it was in Atlantic City and a friend drove me because he was going down there for the evening. Nice to have him be closer.

The professor ranting about how we will never run out of jobs seems to miss the obvious point that whatever new jobs we create computers and machines will replace. Take green jobs, who will run the factory? Machines and computers. Who will do the distribution of the items for people to buy and sell? Machines and computers. This is pretty much the case for every industry.

sruckus

More human things are becoming important, not mind-numbing, repeatable tasks. In other words, jobs that depend on intuition, making decisions, creativity, etc.

The panel was lively. I don't know how Maher kept it together with kristol. The guy constantly kept going on a tangent shooting red herrings anytime anyone even remotely confronted him.

I thought this was a great episode tonight. I always say I am going to buy a book that Bill's guests plug and never do but Alan Weisman's book I am interested in.

lol @ Maher's reactions when the audience groans, amazing how people go to his shows (real time and stand up) not knowing what they are going to hear

sruckus

lol @ Maher's reactions when the audience groans, amazing how people go to his shows (real time and stand up) not knowing what they are going to hear

He's not being entirely facetious when he says conservatives tend to be a better audience. It's sometimes like liberals don't think satire should ever be offensive. It's kind of the point. Jokes usually aren't clean, cute, "feel good" ones either. I think Seth Macfarlane runs into the same thing. Remember all of the feminist fuss over what was it, the Oscars he did?

rjc571

Banned
Where does bill find these loonies

Apparently the ghoulish looking lady in the green blouse graduated from Harvard. Maybe she's just a master troll? If she was actually being sincere, I don't even want to think about how she managed to get through Harvard's admissions process (...or do I?)

sruckus

Please, none of them are sincere. Barely any politicians are past a certain point and commentators and what not even less so. They're scum. Bill O'Reilly graduated from Ivy as well didn't he? Doesn't stop some of his ridiculous logic.

Please, none of them are sincere. Barely any politicians are past a certain point and commentators and what not even less so. They're scum. Bill O'Reilly graduated from Ivy as well didn't he? Doesn't stop some of his ridiculous logic.

O'Reily went to Marist College.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Every time the camera cut to Tom Davis laughing at Bill's jokes during New Rules, he immediately wiped off his shit eating grin. That should tell you how sincere they are.

Turin

Banned
I'm somewhat surprised Joe Rogan never made an appearance on this show. I suppose Bill might be annoyed by his personality.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Joe Rogan is a pseudo-intellectual conspiracy theorist. The show needs fewer nutjobs not more.

Turin

Banned
Joe Rogan is a pseudo-intellectual conspiracy theorist. The show needs fewer nutjobs not more.

Relax. He doesn't take himself that seriously and he's gotten a lot less nutty since he had guys on his show like Sam Harris and Neil Degrasse Tyson. He had no problem admitting he was wrong to them or anyone else once his theory's were put down.

inm8num2

"(Obama's) been President for six years!"

Just awful.

Yea I liked how Weiner and Maher had to explain that the President can't unilaterally enact whichever laws he pleases.

Sometimes I wonder if Maher intentionally picks certain panelists for the sake of an entertaining discussion. :p

What a twit she was. Not only is Obama not a king who cannot enact policy as he sees fit, he had enormous challenges between 2009 and 2010. He was busy dealing with the collapsing economy and getting health care reform pushed. By then, his political capital was gone.

Even during that narrow period, he would still have to contend with a political party that has no interest in doing anything progressive and forward thinking regarding climate change. And he would still have to contend with the misinformation and lobbying against any sort of action.

Presidents pick agendas that fit within the current political climate. Dramatic action on climate change was not the most important thing to work in 2009.

master15

I've been a long time viewer for a while but increasingly I'm put off by Bill cutting off guests that don't fit with his neat, generally over simplification of matters.

Too many good discussions have been stifled. I really think they had to look at the format again because I find there's not enough time for panel to really go at it.

Top Bottom